Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609225 times)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.1 - 13 Feb - Slave Wars
« Reply #4110 on: February 27, 2017, 02:35:30 pm »
Zombies, even zombie troopes are too easily countered by high melee gal with best sword you have wearing full plate with shield. The zombies can't hurt her in melee (I lost about 10 hitpoints while being surrounded by armless troopers and some regulars), troopers rarely spawn with decent guns and even if they do its generally possible to run towards one and chop its arm off even if you don't have enough TUs to finish him.

I suggest adding melee monster zombie or exploding zombie or dedicated grenade throwing zombie to add more challenge to zombie missions.

Offline Absalom

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: February 27, 2017, 03:10:23 pm »
Zombies, even zombie troopes are too easily countered by high melee gal with best sword you have wearing full plate with shield. The zombies can't hurt her in melee (I lost about 10 hitpoints while being surrounded by armless troopers and some regulars), troopers rarely spawn with decent guns and even if they do its generally possible to run towards one and chop its arm off even if you don't have enough TUs to finish him.

I suggest adding melee monster zombie or exploding zombie or dedicated grenade throwing zombie to add more challenge to zombie missions.

Lol.  Whenever I see them, they tote around gauss muskets/lasguns with H grenades 

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: February 27, 2017, 03:16:34 pm »
Worst I saw was autolaser trooper.

Guess it is because for me, they tend to spawn on ordinators.

Offline The Burning Yak

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: February 27, 2017, 05:33:58 pm »
But at some point you need to stop adding new stuff, measure users experience, remove bugs and release stable version.

I suggest we refrain from phrasing our desires as Dioxine's obligations. The only thing he NEEDS to do is what he wishes to do.

Personally, I'd like to see actual savable inventory templates, and even equipment templates for the vessels. Having a variety of templates to choose from would be ideal.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: February 27, 2017, 05:38:19 pm »
Personally, I'd like to see actual savable inventory templates

That's already available.

Offline The Burning Yak

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: February 27, 2017, 06:15:52 pm »
Oh. How do I implement that? Right now I seem to only be able to make a single inventory template, and it only saves for that one equip screen.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: February 27, 2017, 06:27:14 pm »
Oh. How do I implement that? Right now I seem to only be able to make a single inventory template, and it only saves for that one equip screen.

More info here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4747.msg69139.html#msg69139

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4117 on: February 28, 2017, 01:06:30 am »
Right now I noticed that 99F1 is just micromanagement nightmare, where at first Piratez started as a strategy game for a small scale operations.
I like elaborate games, but this level of micromanagement is just nuisance. I do somewhat comparable stuff at work and we have a whole team of NCOs to do the nitty-gritty details, by which you loose the perspective on a big picture.
So Dioxine, thank you for a great job and a lot of dedication, but I guess this Mod was pretty mature at some previous point, it needed no more additional stuff. I fully understand that you want to add more features, more interesting content and challenges, just to make this thing better. But at some point you need to stop adding new stuff, measure users experience, remove bugs and release stable version. Any possibility that the dragons end up in version 2.0, where I do not have to facepalm seeing a dragon in a previously reasonably realistic game?

I fiddle with Piratez_Planet.rul to forcefully remove weather effects of heat and cold, maybe also mansion timer. I hate those features while loving the rest of the game.

I won't fight with your mental image of what piratez supposedly was, is or is supposed to be, since that leads to nowhere. As for the micromanagement issue, it was already answered in the post just above yours. Don't like it, don't play it. Or make your own release without all that silly stuff. Halve enemy armor for good measure... and you will also hate Marsec endgame enemies, I think.

Basically my idea is that: if you perceive piratez as too much micro hell, in some cases it is because insufficient design. As for weather it's the player who makes that hell for himself. And have a good hell. In the case of mansion, removing the timer obviously means you love long, boring and tedious missions.

Quick solution to weather? Drink lots of fluids, don't camp, don't explore polar regions in the nude. Really that hard?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:23:54 am by Dioxine »

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: February 28, 2017, 02:41:57 am »
I like the weather, despite or maybe because it's hard, I actually wanted to suggest more weather: low background radiation, which would cause ubers who knows what sorts of problems, as well as high background radiation, providing bonuses to those with uber physiology, both player and not player.  extreme storms could be fun too, very low visibility and weapon range way down, muscle and spring powered weapons unreliable in the extreme.

I'm worried about the mansion issues because I'm actually not very good at this game, But I don't want to argue about the timer until I see where it starts.

Here's a possible idea for the mansion though: have some secondary exit points, maybe by outside walls or sewer grates or something, in case your gals are far from the roof, they can bug out properly and be picked up outside. 

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: February 28, 2017, 03:00:54 am »
The trip to the roof does take several turns from spawn. Realistically you only have about 20 turns to loot the map. Which is fine for grabbing the most valuable items(treasure chests, uranium) but forces you to leave the bulk of the wealth behind since most of it is in cash bags and money purses scattered across the 2nd and third floors dozens of tiny rooms. On average a mansion has about 4-5 million worth of loot but getting out with more then 1-1.5 is pretty hard aside from full clear.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: February 28, 2017, 03:13:39 am »
In case I do decide that the timer is too harsh, how do you change it? or remove it, if that's the route desired?

Another option could be research into scrambling messages, allowing you more time, with enough research removing the timer completely, and leaving that chain of research largely irrelevant for finishing the game.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: February 28, 2017, 03:22:43 am »
The Timer does make sense, Imagine IRL you tried to storm a capital building of some head honcho you'd be lucky to have 5 minutes before Fighter Jets scramble by cutting off your escape.

Though I don't like the timer, it does make sense. But it really doesn't feel like an inflitration mission with it on either, a timer suggests you got caught.

IMO the mansions should disable the armor and weapon restrictions because it's more like the gals flew in with a ship, and rappeled down, hence triggering the security forces on route to take the gals out. So why wear maid outfits if you can do it in Power Armor?

Or the timer should only start after the first shots are fired.

Offline tylor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: February 28, 2017, 03:48:43 am »
Quick solution to weather? Drink lots of fluids, don't camp, don't explore polar regions in the nude. Really that hard?
Two biggest with cold are 1. hp damage and 2. difficulty to say whether region has extreme temperature or not.

Solution I personally would be happy with is that whether effect would be as hard as they are now only in clearly identifiable areas - i.e. arctic and desert. While jungle and tundra would have reduced effect (halved?).

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: February 28, 2017, 08:28:44 pm »
Two biggest with cold are 1. hp damage and 2. difficulty to say whether region has extreme temperature or not.

Solution I personally would be happy with is that whether effect would be as hard as they are now only in clearly identifiable areas - i.e. arctic and desert. While jungle and tundra would have reduced effect (halved?).

I never got HP damage from the cold. Most armors protect against it. IMO it adds nice flavor. Clothes were designed to fight temp.
IRL Jungles can be hotter than deserts.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4124 on: February 28, 2017, 08:31:32 pm »
IRL Jungles can be hotter than deserts.

Maybe not hotter, but much more humid (obviously), which makes the heat way worse.