Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609363 times)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.1 - 13 Feb - Slave Wars
« Reply #4080 on: February 24, 2017, 11:25:03 pm »
1. Do not influence enemies at all, so hey, not cool, I feel just cheated by the devs.

The enemies are too stupid to deal with that and it would take a very large and dedicated team to change that.

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
  • "If we can't see them, they can't see us!" - Rook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: February 24, 2017, 11:31:26 pm »
Hello Dioxine!

It has been a long time, and personally I have taken a little rest from my crazed obsession with X-Piratez for a bit, although now I have come back and am simply astonished by the potential on display with the Space Missions (really putting the Space back in Space Pirates!). I think that they add a nice change of pace and generally offer unique and enjoyable gameplay. However, it being in its infancy I am wondering about a few odds and ends with Space Battles (as to be expected, in all honesty). First of all, are you planning to expand the scope of space battles or are we simply expecting to see Prison/Research space stations? By this I mean, is there any though of having it so that in the future there is a possibility to raid moving vessels (ships, like Cruisers, Destroyers, or other large vessel. Hmm, maybe even a Space Cruise Ship of sorts that would act akin to Mansion missions, albeit with a much more...metallic feeling to it). Certainly, it is a dream, and I have little knowledge of programming myself (so I am unaware of the feasibility of such features) but I can imagine space battles adding a whole new dimension to the late-game combat, replacing the old land battles if you should so choose so. It is my dream to have space battles act almost like you would see in a series like Firefly, where you could raid abandoned stations (like we see with the Zombies currently, although it may be an interesting concept to see if these abandoned stations displayed some visible damage ala crashed UFOs, with some breaches, debris, and obvious damage to them signifying why they were abandoned), abandoned vessels, drug traffickers, police and faction leaders. Maybe even tactical actions on space battles could open up new markets like their earth-based contacts do, who knows, but that is certainly a long-term dream if anything.

Secondly, I was wondering about the tactical backround, I do understand that the pure blackness of space adds some ambiance, but to be honest I do think it would look more appealing if there was some backround, not only for aesthetics, but also for being able to tell what areas of the map you have trekked already. I think in this case a re-purposed backround from what we see for the space on the geoscape would work well here, with small stars, purple colors and a very stylized look would suit the action of space battles quite well, see below for a more accurate description of what I mean.

Lastly, this idea was given to me by a close friend when I was showing him the new space battles, he was wondering if it would be possible that breaching a space station when their are inadequately prepared troops on the inside of the station (in the area directly following the breach) would take stun damage every turn much like your own troops do when underwater. This would add a new dynamic and certainly give a benefit to a properly executed breach (or maybe even cutting a hole in a wall via certain methods). I believe that this would be exceptionally challenging, however, as IIRC these negative side-effects only apply to your own forces as of yet, not to mention that programming such a response that "exposed" units in the vacuum of space take stun damage is probably a major change in of itself.

Anyway, those are just some of my preliminary ideas, still loving the new content though and wanted to congratulate you on your progression, keep it up!  ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4082 on: February 25, 2017, 01:29:15 am »
I am also not the fan of the latest changes - mansion timer/weather conditions(basically timer).
I do understand that you want to force the hit&run nature of mansion missions, but it could be implemented by arriving backup forces if you are not on time.

We would ALL love reinforcements mechanic, but you know it's not in the game. ::)

Weather conditions are on the other hand horribly bad:
1. Do not influence enemies at all, so hey, not cool, I feel just cheated by the devs.

I understand this sentiment, but I also understand there's no other (known) way to prevent you from dressing appropriately for the weather just just waiting them out. Unless some sort of timer was involved, but it would be replacing one timer with another timer.

2. No clear indicator what sort of conditions you are going to face (I start to wonder if sub Sahara is already extreme or not? Is this yet a forest or a jungle?), so you can choose right armor.

Yeah, I would also appreciate some sort of indicator. Maybe that "Details" button I recently suggested?

4. So, I am getting cold inside my craft, no heating? On 10000m, standard cruising altitude, there is -60 celsius, but we got cold the second we touched the ground?

How do you propose to improve it?

5. Is it cold on the desert during the night?

In reality yes, in Piratez no, because it's the same terrain with no light.

7. Why is it so hot in the jungle? I understand that it's humidity that gets you, but seriously, it is not that bad. At least it does not destroy you in first 15 minutes...

I think it's explained through ubers being Elerium-powered, and therefore more energetic than humans. Don't cite me though.

In the end of the day, this is still 0.99, things are being tested and slowly adjusted. I personally don't think weather is that big of a problem, unless you really stall in your missions, but it's not perfect yet.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4083 on: February 25, 2017, 01:47:40 am »
@bluberd
Regarding weather, I'd really appreciate that you read previously explained things before dropping a wall of text. Basically it boils down to this, I repeat: if weather affected enemy, click end turn 20 times to win. Fun? Also playtesting shows that weather is more of a minor annoyance/debuff than a serious problem, unless you're really asking for it.
Regarding smaller deployments, it's a neccessity, since equipment is so complex and equipping takes so much time. Massed attacks are awesome, but spending 2 hours on equipping isn't. The whole gal-centric structure goes against large deployments.

Hello Dioxine!

It has been a long time, and personally I have taken a little rest from my crazed obsession with X-Piratez for a bit, although now I have come back and am simply astonished by the potential on display with the Space Missions (really putting the Space back in Space Pirates!). I think that they add a nice change of pace and generally offer unique and enjoyable gameplay.

Thank you. In short, regarding your ideas: more space missions will certainly appear, all is needed is work.
As for mechanics ideas, none of these are possible to mod into this game, no backrounds, no damage to station crew if walls are breached, no nothing. In theory space missions are not possible at all, but I managed to make it happen somehow...

Offline Bonkus72

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: February 25, 2017, 06:37:59 am »
Hey Dioxine,

New to X--Piratez and I have to say, having a blast.  I don't mind the weather so much, because it adds a lot of character to my missions.  During cold maps I  arm most of my squad with pistols and handles (fer fightin'), bottles of moonshine (what fer keepin' the gals warm) and painkillers to ward off the effects of the booze.  It paints of pretty picture, and reminds me of that show "Cops" for some reason.  It would be pretty cool if the empty moonshine bottles could be used as a one use handle, for atmosphere and immersion purposes.

Offline Scorrpio

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: February 25, 2017, 07:00:36 am »
Actually, adding a melee attack to moonshine bottle is just a few lines in the Piratez.rul - can probably copy-paste from handle entry...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4086 on: February 25, 2017, 12:09:22 pm »
That function has been added, but only to the rum bottles - moonshine's too crappy :) But I'll think about it.

Offline Bonkus72

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: February 25, 2017, 06:27:18 pm »
Looks like I need to step up my Brewing game then

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: February 25, 2017, 06:44:53 pm »
I am also not the fan of the latest changes - mansion timer/weather conditions(basically timer).

I agree. I'm already at the point where I'm recommending people avoid newer versions because all they do is add more hassle. The weather stuff in particular is terrible - ignoring the frustrating, unfair, and boring mansion missions was one thing, but having every mission potentially turn into a timed one is enough to ruin the game completely, never mind all the endless fiddling about it means on top of an already overcomplicated armour and health/energy/TU system.  Considering this is by far my favourite game of the last year and one I'm most proud to have written about, that's very disappointing.

I'm sure there are ways around it, but finding a way around bad design doesn't make it enjoyable.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:46:30 pm by sinisteragent »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4089 on: February 25, 2017, 07:09:29 pm »
Disappointing? Lol, you got it all for free. Have some perspective.
I've been always pursuing my own goals and I don't plan on changing it.
It's easy to say about 'bad design' but I don't listen to criticism based on plain bullshit. If you have something constructive to say, do so.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: February 25, 2017, 07:15:02 pm »
It's easy to say about 'bad design' but I don't listen to criticism based on plain bullshit. If you have something constructive to say, do so.

How should a person say, constructively, they want a feature removed because they honestly think it's bad?
Can you give us an example so that we can talk using your language?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4091 on: February 25, 2017, 07:27:51 pm »
There is argumentation about the weather effects being bad, since they supposedly put so much strain on the player and require so much maintenance - while this simply isn't true. Same with Mansions, even if the timer just makes sure you DON'T try to make a 100-turn tedious slog.

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: February 25, 2017, 07:28:33 pm »
I gave you clear reasons for what I said, but if you're going to respond to criticism with this kind of immature hostility I'm not surprised you'd ignore that, though I am disappointed. I'm also not looking forward to reviewing the finished version of the game anymore.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4093 on: February 25, 2017, 07:35:14 pm »
Good.

EDIT:

I'm working far too much on it, doing far too many changes lately. I'm really tired. I'm especially tired with people criticizing the weather system, which is still unfinished, and which takes me a lot of time to test properly since it's obviously prone to being very unbalanced. I'm spending a lot of time thinking about it. This kinda makes me overreact to criticism since I am unhappy with it myself, especially if I have repeat explanations all over again. Working my ass off and hearing about 'disappointment' is infuriating. Perhaps I need to take time off working on this mod, to have a fresh look, to regenerate.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:04:15 pm by Dioxine »

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: February 25, 2017, 08:33:43 pm »
I apologise for coming in just to criticise, and for snapping back at you. I meant what I said about this being by far my favourite game since I found it, and I can barely imagine how much work it takes. Thank you for all of that.

I'm not a fan of some of the 'special' missions (ie: things like space/mansions etc with unusual circumstances or gear) but appreciate that some people like them, and they can be ignored if you're not keen, so I don't think they're necessarily a bad thing. Would it be worth moving the extreme weather to those sort of pop-up missions, perhaps? That way you'd get a little notice before you took off, instead of having to gamble with your armour loadout without knowing for sure what you'll be facing.

Perhaps there could also be an item tied to the ship you used, some sort of 'enviro field', that would lessen the impact of weather, rather than tying it to the individual's armour? I don't know if you could make it something that takes up a gun slot or an HWP, or intrinsically part of a ship.

Game dev is exhausting, I don't pretend to know you but please, if you're ever at the point where you're getting worn out, don't hesitate to take a break. There's so much already to XP that it won't suffer if it's left as is for a little while.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:43:46 pm by sinisteragent »