Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3613050 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99A.1 - 31 Jul - Magical Commendations
« Reply #3030 on: August 04, 2016, 09:22:23 pm »
"Pain Immune."  -  What does this mean, Dioxine?  I don't see anything in the Ruleset on these various armors indicating that they have some stat modifier that can be interpreted as Pain Immune.  I would have thought it would be something with morale management.  (Revenant, Brute, Annihilator, etc.)

Edit:
Also: has the point penalties for captures changed with .99a1?    I don't remember getting negative score for capturing civs (Civ Vessel crew members) in .99, but it certainly looks glaring in the missions of the first month in .99a1.  (I couldn't find it in the rulesets for the individual units.  Is there a global setting?)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:35:04 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: August 04, 2016, 10:04:37 pm »
Sorry for the offtopic, but I wanted to congratulate dioxine by such incredible changes it has made in the mod. The music in the fighting, puts goosebumps. I was reminded of a program that was broadcast, in my country, The door of Mystery, in the 80s, with the late Dr. Jimenez del Oso forward.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3032 on: August 05, 2016, 01:13:38 am »
"Pain Immune."  -  What does this mean, Dioxine?  I don't see anything in the Ruleset on these various armors indicating that they have some stat modifier that can be interpreted as Pain Immune.  I would have thought it would be something with morale management.  (Revenant, Brute, Annihilator, etc.)

It means less stun and energy drain while wounded than normal.

Edit:
Also: has the point penalties for captures changed with .99a1?    I don't remember getting negative score for capturing civs (Civ Vessel crew members) in .99, but it certainly looks glaring in the missions of the first month in .99a1.  (I couldn't find it in the rulesets for the individual units.  Is there a global setting?)

I have no idea how this constantly changes, it's all magic. Probably the system of point counting changed between versions (eg. you get positive scores for some govt captures now). There is no support for separate point reward of capturing (afaik), so it's just juggling with Kill and Corpse Recovery point values.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3033 on: August 05, 2016, 01:29:05 am »
It means less stun and energy drain while wounded than normal.

I see (sort of).  :o   From the description, I was looking for something that negated the morale hit from being wounded.  Maybe your formulas counteract the codes formula in the back ground which would make sense.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: August 05, 2016, 02:48:43 am »
are already scaling (Officer's pistol with Firing

I like the idea of scaling weapons, but in case of the officer's pistol, i've found it to be good on paper, but not on the battlefield. Obviosly you would give it to your best marksmen, but why would your best marksmen be in a position where (sniper) rifles or missiles wouldn't be a better choice of weapon? Such a situation would be mid- or close range, but even in such a situation, other pistols/revolvers are a much better choice because of their power (officer's pistol doesn't scale THAT much), and since you are using them at mid- or close range, you won't have trouble with accuracy anyway.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: August 05, 2016, 04:14:21 am »
I see there's no more option to have TFTD damage formula. Bye stability, hello one-shots, guards unkillable by heavy plasma and laser pistols which can get past bio suit. I can adapt, but still.

Speaking of bio suits, if I knew they'd get hit with nerfhammer that hard, I'd probably keep my few precious stones. They're good, mind you, but not that good anymore, what with crippling weakness to laser and tanked stats (and bravery-based stun!).

-snip-

I've found myself coming to the same conclusion, to be honest. While scaling is nice, I can just pick one of the pistols\guns with better damage. I haven't checked the early game since I want to finish my current campaign first, so I don't know if that's as easily done in new versions.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: August 05, 2016, 04:22:13 am »
I see there's no more option to have TFTD damage formula. Bye stability, hello one-shots, guards unkillable by heavy plasma and laser pistols which can get past bio suit. I can adapt, but still.

Most melee weapons and non-bow throwing weapons still use the TFTD formulas, so you still have your consistency there.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: August 05, 2016, 04:44:14 am »
I see (sort of).  :o   From the description, I was looking for something that negated the morale hit from being wounded.  Maybe your formulas counteract the codes formula in the back ground which would make sense.

In the ruleset, it seems to mean that current health matters less than overall HP for energy recovery, and that the threshold for receiving stun damage every turn is at a lower HP. So, instead of gaining 10+0.25*currentHealth in energy every turn, that 0.25 is split evenly into overall HP and current HP for say brute armor.  Also, the negative part of the stun recovery formula is only 0.05*totalHP instead of 0.075, so you have to get much closer to death for stun to matter as much.

Offline DoktorV

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: August 05, 2016, 05:25:11 am »
The download link appears to be dead right now.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3039 on: August 05, 2016, 05:38:39 am »
The download link appears to be dead right now.

I concur: https://83.144.117.98/dioxine/ timed out.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: August 05, 2016, 08:26:23 am »
I like the idea of scaling weapons, but in case of the officer's pistol, i've found it to be good on paper, but not on the battlefield. Obviosly you would give it to your best marksmen, but why would your best marksmen be in a position where (sniper) rifles or missiles wouldn't be a better choice of weapon? Such a situation would be mid- or close range, but even in such a situation, other pistols/revolvers are a much better choice because of their power (officer's pistol doesn't scale THAT much), and since you are using them at mid- or close range, you won't have trouble with accuracy anyway.

Scaling doesn't always matter and can be replaced by just outright better weapon. Maybe we'll get some better pistols that scale too eventually. For now, theoretically, it might make a nice side-arm for a marksman in the early game. Something small and light to take shots while getting into a good position to use a rifle.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3041 on: August 05, 2016, 10:30:04 am »

Yeah, I see the problem. But a sniper also needs a sidearm, and this one isn't bad. And when many of your gals become good at shooting, then they may also use Officer Pistols for normal combat, since they are officer equivalents, lol.

More like, goodbye chess, goodbye Starcraft.

I've actually spoken about TFTD formula many times with Dioxine and we seem to have exactly the same opinion about this: that it's gamey, it's dull, it feels cheap. No critical successes, no critical fails, just pushing around blocks.
It is debatable which one makes a better mechanics. But it sure feels weird. At war, cases of getting hit with a bullet with little consequence to your body are reasonably common, and the headshot concept isn't completely made up either. With everything set to 50-150% a weapon either kills you just by touching you (bullet is lava!) or you are impervious to critical damage, like a DnD zombie.
Also, Piratez isn't balanced for TFTD formula. You would find some enemies too difficult or too easy to kill.

I've found myself coming to the same conclusion, to be honest. While scaling is nice, I can just pick one of the pistols\guns with better damage. I haven't checked the early game since I want to finish my current campaign first, so I don't know if that's as easily done in new versions.

Yeah, it changes all the time. Dioxine is still figuring out the early game, I mean earlier than the current start.

niculinux

« Reply #3042 on: August 05, 2016, 04:17:12 pm »
I'd like to have TFDT damage formula activated by default, it gives a while new feeling. Hope it would be included in next version  :'( :'(

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: August 05, 2016, 04:35:01 pm »
I'd like to have TFDT damage formula activated by default, it gives a while new feeling. Hope it would be included in next version  :'( :'(
It wont thought

niculinux

« Reply #3044 on: August 05, 2016, 04:37:43 pm »
It wont thought

ok whatever, guesse we could live without  :)