aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3693675 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99A.1 - 31 Jul - Magical Commendations
« Reply #3000 on: August 03, 2016, 02:24:01 am »
Remember than Beer or Rum no longer replenishes Stun. Sure, it's not that important ATM (small medkits to the rescue!), but this was made in mind with the future things to come (desert and jungle missions will be putting a lot of Stun on your troops, especially in heavy armor, so it will come very handy; likewise, arctic missions will deplete Energy really fast if your soldiers aren't properly clothed).
Ack!  That is one of the aspects that I like the least about the tactical battle, all the freaking complexity of needing all these various supplements to operate! And you are only making it worse!! Drat you!! ;)

Regarding your question about the new Seductress; keep testing, maybe it's not balanced properly. Keep in mind that you have to win a Psi attempt now for it to work, so you need a solid VooDoo Skill. Also it works really poorly at distances over 10, 15 tiles.

Ok, I will.  I'm using gals with high 50's strength and 30-40 skill, with zero effects so far on maybe a dozen attacks.  I have noticed some differences in hit sounds, so I think there is feedback when I get a solid "hit."  It very clear however that all of those one hit wonders are gone.  I get that its a horrible abuse to drop trader bodyguards in one hit like I was before, but now I'm not dropping even G.O.s.  This is making be reluctant to even take up space on the roster for these gals, as they are too fragile to manage a stand up battle, and they tend to draw reaction fire on unsuccessful attempts. 

I'll try making some closer attacks.  I'll also *try* to remember to probe my targets before and after to see if I can notice effects.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: August 03, 2016, 03:44:16 am »
You'll still have 6 belt slots (4 belt, 2 QD). Yes I know how valuable belt space is, that's why it's a bit nerfed :) I agree that such layout is suboptimal for shielded plate mail, but you have the fucking shield, son! :) Since I decided not to reduce plate availability in any significant amount, it has to have serious shortcomings. Also... With 120+ Melee, which plate-mail troops often have, there is no real problem in wielding Bardiche, despite the penalty.
Anyway Plate Mail is supposed to be focused armor (hence over the top stats), not utility armor (utility armors usually have so-so stats).

Well, I thought you were trying to buff the plate after someone said you nerfed it too much. To me, your change is a further nerf (as I explained above), so it seemed to go against the intent. If you want to further nerf it, then sure, keep making the belt smaller. Can we keep the belt 2x2, not 1x4? That's a bit more versatile for juggling (can put a cutlass there while throwing a grenade or pulling out a pistol, or put a death blossom there while using a sword from the backpack).

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: August 03, 2016, 03:57:39 am »
I second keeping the 2x2 belt slot - the Death Blossom is my favorite firearm to give my plate gals a long-range option.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3003 on: August 03, 2016, 05:09:12 am »
Hey Dioxine, I just wanted to chime back in to confirm what you already know.  Original8 commendation seems to work fine.  I've been talking with shoes about it, the previous confusion about it was mine alone.   I've also confirmed it in a quick new game test.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3004 on: August 03, 2016, 05:25:54 am »
I second keeping the 2x2 belt slot - the Death Blossom is my favorite firearm to give my plate gals a long-range option.

To be frank, 1x4 is not even an option - 2x2 (or 2x2+1, or 1x2) is the only possible setup of a smaller belt. It's not as much a buff as a tradeoff - losing 2 belt slots, gaining 3 backpack slots (compared to 0.99A.1)

@Ivan: yes, a hit is a chiming sound, whereas a failed attack is a dull sound (as with all psi amps in Piratez). A hit should instantly KO the target, tho... If it's too weak, I will buff it.

Also... using a psi-amp-type attack draws Ractions now??? I didn't know that! I thought it doesn't, so it will be at least an advantage compared to how it worked before.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: August 03, 2016, 05:31:19 am »
If certain maps cause lots of stun, will it affect the enemies in said maps?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3006 on: August 03, 2016, 06:56:39 am »
Don't worry, they always wear appropriately :) Besides, what fun would it be to just sit in the craft until everyone drops?

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: August 03, 2016, 07:38:05 am »
I assume environmentally sealed armour (particularly those that feature choke immunity) will be proofed against heat and cold, and other ambient environmental hazards?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3008 on: August 03, 2016, 03:59:06 pm »
Sure.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3009 on: August 03, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »

@Ivan: yes, a hit is a chiming sound, whereas a failed attack is a dull sound (as with all psi amps in Piratez). A hit should instantly KO the target, tho... If it's too weak, I will buff it.

Also... using a psi-amp-type attack draws Ractions now??? I didn't know that! I thought it doesn't, so it will be at least an advantage compared to how it worked before.

I had another chance to test the Seductress.  I got closer and took down a GO with one shot.  I didn't draw reaction fire even though I was peering in to a freighter full of PO'd traders.  I did draw tons of reactions with my wands of airlessness though, so it may indeed be a mistaken impression that Seduction attacks draw reactions.   

Overall, I'd say the nerf on the Seductress is very significant.  Its very clear that it is no long OP.  My gal panicked the next turn, and was never in position afterwards to help deal with the riff raff.  I really have to compare the ruleset formulas and how they stack up with my gals and see if I've been misusing them (giving them to the wrong gals, targetting too far, etc).  But for now, just experientially, I'm in favor of dropping them from my squads, due to limited risk/benefits returns.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3010 on: August 03, 2016, 04:51:58 pm »
Hmm... damage is indeed lowish if your Bravery & V.Strength aren't topped, especially the former, since it has a greater range. However, base damage for Bravery 90, V.Str 45 gal (before outfit bonuses) should be around 144, which is quite an overkill (and goes up to 200 if you attack second time in the same round). Attacks not working is a bigger concern.

niculinux

« Reply #3011 on: August 03, 2016, 08:19:58 pm »
Actually, rags as starting armor dies not make much sense..it should be "tribal" i think. Player in the beginning should not havevany other chances, aside from nude :P

Tribal should be also the default one, since hands fresh recruited arevwearing "adventurer" , that shoul have researched in the beginning of the game, i think. :)

Edit: in the end, taking put rags frim the game has more sense

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3012 on: August 03, 2016, 09:10:25 pm »
Actually, rags as starting armor dies not make much sense..it should be "tribal" i think. Player in the beginning should not havevany other chances, aside from nude :P

Yeah, um. Isn't this the way it is in .99A1?  Tribal IS the lunatic's starting armor.  I think rags are available as an alternative (representing to me, the junk from around the hideout), but not required (and yeah, I can't imagine any reason to use them either).

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: August 03, 2016, 09:23:08 pm »
Early and crappy smoke ops?

niculinux

« Reply #3014 on: August 03, 2016, 10:19:51 pm »
Yeah, um. Isn't this the way it is in .99A1?  Tribal IS the lunatic's starting armor.  I think rags are available as an alternative (representing to me, the junk from around the hideout), but not required (and yeah, I can't imagine any reason to use them either).

Yes, sry i missed it :( main point of my post was to get the rid of these completely from the game. What kind of pirate/criminal would dress himself with rags? Only beggars, i presume :-/

Edit: since it cost some amount of work making these, may eventually relased as separate mod, or turned into an easter egg/loot item from the ratmen, also :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:31:33 pm by niculinux »