Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609276 times)

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] Piratez Extended - 0.92 - 25 Jun
« Reply #360 on: July 07, 2015, 12:55:20 pm »
This armor is actually very weak for a powered armor, [...]

Given the importance of stamina in piratez, I was afraid it was too strong. Should it be uparmored or maybe replace the power armor component with something else?

[...] but this is irrelevant anyway unless I find/make/receive proper gfx :)

Yeah, and I felt so happy, finding this inventory gfx at all, but it just hasn't the right size and I cannot do art assets. I'd only make it worse, believe me...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #361 on: July 07, 2015, 02:45:28 pm »
IMO it feels like a waste of power armor parts to get tinfoil armor, even if you get such a good Stamina boost. It is a much thinner Revenant with less boosts and similar preqs. As for the gfx... Well I might appropriate something at some point (the battle sprite itself is good, I'd only need to make inventory pics).

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 07, 2015, 04:44:04 pm »
IMO it feels like a waste of power armor parts to get tinfoil armor, even if you get such a good Stamina boost. It is a much thinner Revenant with less boosts and similar preqs. As for the gfx... Well I might appropriate something at some point (the battle sprite itself is good, I'd only need to make inventory pics).

Right, I changed the required items to build this thing. Armor parts makes more sense than power armor parts and academics' booty for the electronics regulating the armor rigidity instead of traders' booty.

Some of these in hindsight questionable design decisions came about, because I was planning it as an upgradable armor. However, there is no inventory gfx for the grey version at all, therefore I didn't follow through.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #363 on: July 08, 2015, 10:54:14 am »
Here are a few more reports:

Spoiler:
  • Gameplay Balance

• Items

• Aircraft Armaments - Loot Rate - Aircraft magazines seem to generate less than aircraft weapon parts, player ends up with more aircraft weapons than ammunition for any of them. Suggestion: Increase rate of looting aircraft ammunition magazines slightly.

• Sniper Rifle - TU Cost - Snap Shot costs 70% TUs for 85% accuracy, and Aimed Shot costs 75% TUs for 155% accuracy (and unlimited range, I believe). Snap Shot seems awfully high considering the 5% TU increase, accuracy range drop-off (unlike Aimed Shot; also considering if UFO Extender Accuracy is set to "on"), nearly half the accuracy percentage of an Aimed Shot. Suggestion: Lower Snap Shot TU cost to 40-45% range, otherwise Snap Shot is redundant to have on the Sniper Rifle.

• Reference: Hunting Rifle - Snap Shot costs 33% TUs for 70% accuracy, whereas Aimed Shot costs 70% TUs for 125% accuracy.

• Mechanics

• Aircraft Maintenance - Order of Maintenance – Currently aircraft follow this maintenance order: Repair, Refuel, Rearm [EDIT: Looks like it's actually Repair, Rearm, Refuel in X-Piratez v0.92]. Due to the “suggested” option of “Force Aircraft Launch” (which I totally agree with), repairs can be extremely lengthy and with limited aircraft, engagements are becoming extremely difficult due to super-micromanaging aircraft ammunition for future interceptions.  Suggestion: Alter order to Rearm → Refuel → Repair. Rearm is generally the quickest of the three, and nearly the most important as it is difficult to down a Shipping with low or no ammo. Repair & Refuel are tricky to prioritize; no reason for repair if sending heavily damaged troop transport to a crashed shipping target, but can't launch because fuel is so low it will just auto-return. On the other hand, don't need much fuel when trying to engage local [re: very close] targets, but definitely need repairs to survive encounter.

• Further: Rearm → Refuel → Repair order gives players the option to continue intercepting targets at increased risk of losing craft, instead of a fully repaired ship unable to fire its weapons. Refuel is a good second option as it isn't a very lengthy process either, and gives the player the option to dispatch a damaged troop transport (e.g., Bonaventura) to reach a crashed or landed shipping site. In addition, the player also has the “option” of skipping the Rearm phase in this order by simply unequipping all weapon mounts (thus maintenance will “skip” Rearm as there is “nothing” to Rearm!); effectively changing the maintenance order to Refuel → Repair.
        • Note: The current order Repair → Refuel → Rearm is unaffected if a craft is removed of all its weapon mounts; it will still continue repairing or refueling until complete.
        • Example: Bonaventura with 12% damage, estimated 1 day/13 hours to fully repair, with 9% fuel and Pogrom site pops up farther than 9% fuel but close enough for 34% fuel to reach. Repairing is totally useless at this point, but unable to launch as ship is stuck repairing. Pogroms last less than 24 hours (not sure of exact length) before “disappearing”.
        • Further: Craft Charger Laser is given “free” at start; to allow player to be able to continue game instead of forced to restart. However, due to current maintenance order and despite the Bootypedia text (infinite “ammo”/free recharge), it will only be rearmed AFTER vessel is fully repaired and fueled, somewhat limiting its usefulness. Suggestion: Swapping Rearm to be the first priority would alleviate this issue and allow player to choose whether engaging a target is worth launching a damaged craft or to simply ignore and allow repairs to complete.

• Spelling

• EuroSyndicate - Bootypedia entry - “While the Europe bore the brunt ...” → should be “While Europe bore the brunt ...”.

• Further: “... surrounded by their famous genengineered servants ...”. Suggestion: “... surrounded by their famous [gene-altered/gene-cloned/gen-engineered/gene-modded/gen-mod/vitro-modded] servants ...”.

• Hidden Expanse - Bootypedia entry - “... tribes and drawn in all kinds of freaks ...”. Suggestion: “... tribes and attracted all kinds of freaks ...”.

• Further: “... worship Deep One's gods ...” → is this meant as worshipping the Deep Ones as gods [hence the Star Gods reference] or individuals are worshipping the gods of the Deep Ones? (First example: Dioxine is a god! Second example: Dioxine believes in Zeus, so I will worship Zeus too!”) If first example, suggestion: “... worship the Deep Ones as gods ...”. If second example, suggestion: “... worship the Deep Ones' gods ...”.

• Manufacture Slaves - Name discrepancies - Traders are listed as “Trd. Hostess”, “Trd. Sailor”, “Trd. GO”, “Trd. Engineer”, “Trd. Rep” yet the “item required” are listed as “Guild Hostess”, “Guild Air Sailor”, “G.O.”, “Guild Engineer”, “Guild Rep”. Suggestion: Choose either “[Trd/Trader] <name>” or “Guild <name>” for both.

• Medicine - Bootypedia entry - “... are the amply named Fatal Wounds.” → should be “... are the aptly named Fatal Wounds.” Intentional? (Amply = plentiful, sufficient / Aptly = appropriate, likely)

• Pickaxe - Bootypedia entry - “... Hammer but neither as cumbersome.” Disjarring. Suggestion: “... Hammer but not as cumbersome.” Also, “Demolotion +100%” → should be “Demolition +100%” unless explosive lotion is a hidden research. ;)

• Prisoners Interrogation - Name - Redundant as researching hostages already acts as an “interrogation”, and given the Bootypedia entry, the name doesn't quite fit. Suggestion: “[Pirate Straits Syndrome/Prisoner Defilement/Prisoner Desecration/Torture Techniques/Steel Pact Syndrome]”; Pirate Straits/Steel Pact “Syndrome” are a reference to Stockholm Syndrome but with Piratez theme.

• Ship Engine - Bootypedia entry - Reads awfully like X-COM, instead of a Piratez tone.

• Tommy - Name - Weapon is called “Tommy”, yet the ammunition is called “Tommygun Drum (50x10)”. Suggestion: Rename “Tommy” to “Tommygun” or “Tommygun Drum” to “Tommy Drum”.

• Trader Guild Hostess - Bootypedia entry - “... her relatively-important duties and the weapon training she received and thus ...”. Disjarring. Suggestion: “... her relatively-important duties and Guild-[required/sponsored] weapons training, [thusly/therefore] ...”.

• Further: “Don't have more regrets shooting these than about any other corporate slaves.” Disjarring. Suggestion: “They're like any other corporate slave, so don't be ashamed for shooting them. Given their experience though, they could be useful … maids if captured, at least that's what the Gals are sayin'.”

• Trader Rep - Bootypedia entry - “This lady is a not a small fish ...”, “Trader Reps like are few and only present when they are needed, ...”. Suggestion: “This lady ain't no small fish ...”, “Trader Reps are few and far between, and only found on special ships on vital missions, ...”. See Trader Rep - Miscellaneous below.

• Miscellaneous

• Alliance Advisor - Black Market Unlocks - Appears in Black Market screen without being indicated anywhere. Most likely unlocked after completing research on "Contacts: The Mutant Alliance"; which designates "Attack Dog" & "Medical Supplies" are unlocked in Black Market, but no mention of Alliance Advisor.

• Back to School - Bootypedia - Background is very bright; difficult to read text and eye-straining. Also, no background objects like other “story” entries have. Suggestion: Darken background; perhaps themed post-apocalypse as other entries are.

• City Block [Movie Theatre] Terror Map - Pathing Issues - There is a “hole” in a “closet” where the floor should be (appears to be a closet). See screenshot: MaybeItsAFiremanPole.

• Further: The building with the shopping center (clothing shop, butcher shop, etc) has a glitched staircase. Clicking the top of the staircase/roof results in a weird back-tracking path. However, if clicked anywhere else on the roof (e.g., like where the “7” is), different TU cost results. See screenshot: GalsBreakThroughAllCeilings.

• Courier - Battlescape - Landed courier (as per editing battlescape.sav) has glitched walls. See screenshot: ImproperUFOWalls.

• Cyclops Corpse - No use after researching topic. Suggestion: Utilize for butchery (parts for cuisines and/or armor crafting).  See Cyclops Guard.

• Further: Sell prices are extremely low ($200) for Cyclops corpse; no factions are interested in secretly procuring corpses for research?

• Cyclops Guard - No use after researching topic. Suggestion: Utilize for butchery (parts for cuisines and/or armor crafting) and/or enslavement (parts for armor crafting). Per Bootypedia entry, use of live Cyclops may be limited, but salvage for “better”/more items than corpses, especially considering the amount of "work" to live capture. See Cyclops Corpse.

• Further: Sell prices are extremely low ($15k) for live Cyclops Guards, especially considering they are only useful for "vendoring” as of version 0.92.

• Flamethrower - Accuracy Experience - Dedicated two Gals with basic flamethrowers as "main" weapon (only Fistycuffs and/or Handles were also used; no other weapon, not even grenades) and they still have their original firing accuracy. Per this link, flamethrowers supposedly increase accuracy rapidly (although which type of accuracy is unspecified), but referenced to pre-Extended. Only melee accuracy has increased (notably because they have used Fistycuffs and/or Handles).

• Reference: Gal A - 40 Firing Accuracy, 92 TUs, 130 Stamina, 78 Health, 75 Strength.
      • Reference: Gal B - 45 Firing Accuracy, 100 TUs, 123 Stamina, 76 Health, 65 Strength.
      • Further: What type of accuracy is intended to be increased?

• Humanists - Bootypedia - Entry did not pop-up after interrogating Humanist Soldier, yet Humanist Soldier Bootypedia entry did pop-up.

• Minecraft - Research Unlocks - Stone Hatchet needs to be further researched but no Bootypedia entry, yet Pickaxe doesn't need to be researched and gives a Bootypedia entry. Inconsistent; intentional?

• Radar Range - Geoscape - Radar range is shown in black circles; is it possible to color each for easier “readability”? The black circles are fine for vanilla oXCOM (as Hyper-wave Decoder has the longest range and best detection), but for Piratez, that isn't the case. Hyper-wave Decoder isn't the biggest circle and trying to plan bases can get “muddy” (especially when you already have placed bases and Spy Zeppelins, hard to see the “true” radar ranges). Suggestion: White circle for Outpost, Yellow circle for Hi-Res Radar, Red circle for Long-Range Radar, and Purple circle for Hyper-wave Decoder. Not sure if there are more radars, but Orange/Black could be used for any others (or in future versions). See link for possible example.

• Reaper - Research Unlocks - Does not indicate new research "Tamed Reapers" upon completion. Does indicate "Xeno Hides Recovery", however.

• Stat Tracker - Mod Support - "Official" integration into X-Piratez would be great without having to deal with any "wonkiness". It doubles as a useful reporting tool; tracking kills/stuns for statistic growth, as well as monitoring kill types for unusual weapons like Flamethrower/Chainsaw.

• Stick Grenade - Research - Appears in Manufacture screen but no pop-up to indicate it. Not sure when this unlocked.

• Further: Ruleset diving looks like it unlocks for free after interrogating Humanist Soldier, despite not requiring to be researched or notifying the player via the Manufacture “We can now produce:” screen.

• Trader G.O. - Bootypedia - Upon completion of interrogation, Bootypedia entry did not pop-up for G.O. The Bootypedia entry for Crack did pop-up, however. The Traders Bootypedia entry had already been unlocked previously when interrogating Trader Guild Security.

• Trader Rep - Bootypedia - Upon completion of interrogation, Bootypedia entry did not pop-up for Trader Rep. The Traders Bootypedia entry had already been unlocked previously when interrogating Trader Guild Security. However, the Manufacture popped-up “We are now able to manufacture: $: Trd. Rep (0/2/0)”. See Trader Rep - Bootypedia entry above.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:55:16 pm by DracoGriffin »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #364 on: July 09, 2015, 09:35:36 am »
Couple of answers:

- Sniper Rifle - Snap Shot isn't useless. Think Reaction Fire. Sniper Rifles with high ROF would obsolete all other firearms.

- Repair/Refuel/Rearm order - I cannot modify such things. But if player had a free choice here, the flexibility would perhaps be too great (ie. I've never encountered the problems you're describing in my playthroughs, since I've tried not to abuse Bonaventura so much, and most importantly, to never get damaged when low on fuel).

- Maps: I've checked that ship map in mapview and everything seems to be in order. Engine limitation? As for terrain map errors, it's Hobbes' terrains, not mine, so please contact him (mine are only ships and Pirate Hideout).

- Cyclops - they're simply unfinished.

- Flamethrowers - various people say various things but I am not sure if they train accuracy - I'm not sure if arcing shot weapons can train accuracy at all.

- Stone hatchet - would you please stop beating this dead horse? :)

- Radar Range extravaganzas - no I can't mod that.

- Stat tracker - it is an .exe modifier. I'm already using an .exe modifier. I'm not learning how to compile code out of sudden now.

- Research/manufacture Popups - I don't understand how they work and when they appear, and when they refuse to and why. Although I can assure you you DO GET everything intended. If there's no popup, looks like I'm not doing this the proper way. But oftentimes doing it the proper way would make it impossible to do it my way (ie. to give the player the exact things I want).

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 09, 2015, 09:48:58 pm »
Ow, just trying to give feedback.

In the spirit of constructive conversation:

Spoiler:
- Sniper Rifle - Snap Shot isn't useless. Think Reaction Fire. Sniper Rifles with high ROF would obsolete all other firearms.
Difference between reserving Aimed/Snap Shot is usually like 1 or 2 tile moves. Reaction Fire still depends on TUs/Firing Accuracy/Reactions -> as Aimed Shot reserves more TUs, more likely to to react against enemy. And Sniper Rifle isn't particularly damaging (in my experience), the best use for it is the unlimited range on Aimed Shot. If I want a sniper to move, I give them Hunting Rifle instead (which should be a downgrade in all aspects to Sniper Rifle) but it's actually an "improvement" in terms of mobility as the Snap Shot cost of Hunting Rifle is about half the TU cost of its TU; which is why I suggested Sniper Rifle to have similar TU costs (but slightly higher than Hunting Rifle's, so they aren't exactly the same).

- Repair/Refuel/Rearm order - I cannot modify such things. But if player had a free choice here, the flexibility would perhaps be too great (ie. I've never encountered the problems you're describing in my playthroughs, since I've tried not to abuse Bonaventura so much, and most importantly, to never get damaged when low on fuel).

I had found some info here, but otherwise, I could forward the suggestion to Yankes as a possible option in Extended?

- Maps: I've checked that ship map in mapview and everything seems to be in order. Engine limitation? As for terrain map errors, it's Hobbes' terrains, not mine, so please contact him (mine are only ships and Pirate Hideout).

Will do!

- Flamethrowers - various people say various things but I am not sure if they train accuracy - I'm not sure if arcing shot weapons can train accuracy at all.

Ok, I'll try some more controlled testing to see what pops up.

- Stone hatchet - would you please stop beating this dead horse? :)

Sorry, that was in my "bug reports" file before that whole thing earlier happened. Just kept it in for record-keeping.

- Radar Range extravaganzas - no I can't mod that.

Ah, okay. Figured you'd have a good idea if it was possible or not considering what you've accomplished with Piratez. Figured I'd ask!

- Stat tracker - it is an .exe modifier. I'm already using an .exe modifier. I'm not learning how to compile code out of sudden now.

I'll see if Shoes or Fudge would be open to the idea.

- Research/manufacture Popups - I don't understand how they work and when they appear, and when they refuse to and why. Although I can assure you you DO GET everything intended. If there's no popup, looks like I'm not doing this the proper way. But oftentimes doing it the proper way would make it impossible to do it my way (ie. to give the player the exact things I want).

I can stop reporting that if you want; just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks for the response; was in suspense if any of it even worth reporting!

[edit: spoilered cuz long]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:50:38 pm by DracoGriffin »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #366 on: July 09, 2015, 10:02:47 pm »
Sure it was worth reporting, I've killed several bugs (I've commented only on things I didn't agree with).

- Sniper Rifle part deux - you can't Reaction with an Aimed Shot :) A weapon must have Snap Shot or you cannot reaction-fire with it. Sniper Rifles are powerful and very accurate; the limitation there is "Aimed Shot Only", with a sort-of-crappy Snap Shot added basically just for reactions. It is possible that Hunting/Commando Rifle are too good in comparison, but as far as raw damage goes, it IS weaker... I'll think about rebalancing, possibly adding extra damage dependant on Accuracy for Sniper Rifles.

- Popups - yeah it'll be good to keep the track on those, you're right. Maybe some of it could be repaired.

- Custom exe - we'll see on that. You can always ask Yankes, if he adds it, I might (or might not :) use it. Or make it optional, since it'd be an easy mode... As for the Stat Tracker, I've been using a version that enables it (Ivan is using it), but it won't probably work with the current Extended build...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 09, 2015, 10:16:21 pm »
Re: Sniper Rifle
In Piratez, there is rarely a "best" weapon, and usually a variety of weapons which you apply to a variety of jobs. A sniper rifle is not only more precise than a hunting rifle. It is also a lot more cumbersome. That's why it doesn't just eclipse the hunting rifle at everything. It is better for long range aimed shot, worse for short range quick shots.

More sniper stuff spoilered because Dioxine replied:
Spoiler:
The sniper rifle initially had no snap shot at all. Dioxine had intended it as a weapon you had to aim with, useless for taking quick shots (ie snap/reaction shots). Players wanted reaction fire, so Dioxine added a snap shot possibility. It is not intended to be as good as an aimed shot, which represents taking your time to sight the target properly. It is not intended to represent running about and shooting either.

As it is, the snap shot gives your sniper the possibility to fire if something happens in his sight while he is waiting for the long range aimed shot. It has a high TU cost to prevent it from making snipers into mobile offensive soldiers, it's more of an already set-up opportunity shot. Mobile fire support is instead intended to come from hunting/scoped rifles (and many, many other medium range weapons).

The choices of weapons, and the effort to keep many relevant, is something that takes a while to get used to in Piratez. We are very used to modern simplified gameplay where you upgrade to the next tier that's 100% better. I very much like that that's not the case in Piratez. That said, adding bonus damage based on Accuracy to precision weapons could be an interesting way to keep them relevant in the face of high power weapons. Especially since after you get 100% to hit, any improvement is currently useless.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 10, 2015, 12:33:43 am »
I did request a Snap Shot for Sniper rifles (Python, Custom Sniping gun and Sniper Rifle) because it was inconstistent with laser sniper rifle and gauss sniper rifle, and because it made sense from a simulationist point of view - if a sniper gal with high reaction spends a turn staring down a scope, and there is a hostile - why wouldnt she shoot?

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: Liber Occultis?
« Reply #369 on: July 10, 2015, 02:10:40 am »
I don't know Latin and that's how Lovecraft named such books... It was meant to be researchable but I have no idea yet what exactly to do with it (probably has something to do with the Dark Ones?) - I don't want to waste it for a mere easter egg, I want something cool. Any good, or at least awesome, ideas would be appreciated :)

You can use it to flesh out the lore of the Deep Ones. After all they are the Cthulite faction. Perhaps an insight as to what happened to Tleth and why the buggers regressed to the point of using axes?

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 10, 2015, 07:56:38 am »
Re: Sniper Rifle
In Piratez, there is rarely a "best" weapon, and usually a variety of weapons which you apply to a variety of jobs. A sniper rifle is not only more precise than a hunting rifle. It is also a lot more cumbersome. That's why it doesn't just eclipse the hunting rifle at everything. It is better for long range aimed shot, worse for short range quick shots.

More sniper stuff spoilered because Dioxine replied:
Spoiler:
The sniper rifle initially had no snap shot at all. Dioxine had intended it as a weapon you had to aim with, useless for taking quick shots (ie snap/reaction shots). Players wanted reaction fire, so Dioxine added a snap shot possibility. It is not intended to be as good as an aimed shot, which represents taking your time to sight the target properly. It is not intended to represent running about and shooting either.

As it is, the snap shot gives your sniper the possibility to fire if something happens in his sight while he is waiting for the long range aimed shot. It has a high TU cost to prevent it from making snipers into mobile offensive soldiers, it's more of an already set-up opportunity shot. Mobile fire support is instead intended to come from hunting/scoped rifles (and many, many other medium range weapons).

The choices of weapons, and the effort to keep many relevant, is something that takes a while to get used to in Piratez. We are very used to modern simplified gameplay where you upgrade to the next tier that's 100% better. I very much like that that's not the case in Piratez. That said, adding bonus damage based on Accuracy to precision weapons could be an interesting way to keep them relevant in the face of high power weapons. Especially since after you get 100% to hit, any improvement is currently useless.

Some weapons are 100% upgrades; that's one of the reasons why we research for better weapons and armor, so we don't have to keep using regular ammo clips with blunderbusses and cannon balls for assault cannons. :P

And as a sidenote, I've just been using Sniper Rifles as either A: to soften up armored targets for stunning or B: kill a target that somehow hasn't been knocked out by Cattle Prod/Handle/Fistycuffs. If I really need a target dead, I use explosives via grenades or rockets/bombs. The whole remark was just from a standpoint of "What change would make me use this weapon OR more likely to try this weapon?" Just as I had remarked about Tac Vests; still haven't used them in the early-game.

But appreciate all the feedback!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #371 on: July 10, 2015, 12:28:04 pm »
If you're rich enough to use explosives for all the killing and good enough to handle the rest with notoriously unreliable stun weapons, I can only congratulate ;) I'm not using Tac Vests either, but in part as a challenge, in part to keep the budget as tight as possible. The very fact that there is an easily accessible armor and only some players use it, is, I think, an achievement in so-called "balance". In general, I fully expect that an average player won't ever use 2/3rds of available options; but no option should be useless to everyone. If you don't think Sniper Rifle fits well within your tactics, beefing it up to the point where you would use it, will unbalance it - since it would become an uber-weapon in the hands of those who already use it.

I'm using explosives mostly as an emergency, or to kill otherwise hard-to-reach enemies. Others can be safely killed with firearms if I take some time. Assaults are usually based on melee weapons.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:34:33 pm by Dioxine »

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 10, 2015, 08:37:11 pm »
If you're rich enough to use explosives for all the killing and good enough to handle the rest with notoriously unreliable stun weapons, I can only congratulate ;) I'm not using Tac Vests either, but in part as a challenge, in part to keep the budget as tight as possible. The very fact that there is an easily accessible armor and only some players use it, is, I think, an achievement in so-called "balance". In general, I fully expect that an average player won't ever use 2/3rds of available options; but no option should be useless to everyone. If you don't think Sniper Rifle fits well within your tactics, beefing it up to the point where you would use it, will unbalance it - since it would become an uber-weapon in the hands of those who already use it.
Spoiler:
Expensive from Black Market; but a balance of Runts for Grog/Black Powder Bombs/Molotovs is a good plan.

In terms of balance, looking at the huge options in Long War mod for new XCOM, some of the stuff isn't the best choice (in terms of the power players aka min/maxers) and items/armors/soldier perks/etc become situational at best. But really boils down to intent behind the design; did X item accomplish design or are other Y, Z items making it moot? (e.g., smoke grenade spam/Smokey Ops lessens the value in breaching with Tac Vest frontline soldiers; exception is not everyone wants to play like that or aiming for night missions with either 12 NV or 20 NV from certain armors (e.g., Night Ops) and using one or two scouts to spot enemies for soldiers to kill from distance and just spamming End Turn for enemy to walk into reaction firing squad).

But above is just really Devil's Advocate; as my 2nd playthrough is going to focus on the primitive tree to unlock Bows/Spear/Amazon as those are extremely strong; especially the stat boost from Amazon is very strong early game, low manufacture cost, no item requirements. Past early-game, other armor begins to eclipse. Bows/Spears low manufacture cost, no item requirements, high damage, etc. However, remains to be seen for now, but on paper seems great! :P

I'm using explosives mostly as an emergency, or to kill otherwise hard-to-reach enemies. Others can be safely killed with firearms if I take some time. Assaults are usually based on melee weapons.
Exactly, I am using mostly smoke screens and take my time to wait for AI to come to me if I can help it. Sounds like our play style is similar. :P

That's why I've only suggested few and (in my perspective) minor "balance" changes; first playthroughs are not good controls for balance changes. Maybe on my third or fourth once I know the enemies/weapons/tech tree much better would I presume to offer actual balance suggestions. My focus has been mostly on the easier things to find: bugs & spelling. :P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #373 on: July 10, 2015, 09:31:48 pm »
Exactly, I am using mostly smoke screens and take my time to wait for AI to come to me if I can help it. Sounds like our play style is similar. :P

Similar to a degree - I like to shoot from afar, but I don't like to wait, so I usually break up troops between fast-map-clearing teams and second line support (with guns and explosives) :)

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 11, 2015, 12:32:05 am »
Similar to a degree - I like to shoot from afar, but I don't like to wait, so I usually break up troops between fast-map-clearing teams and second line support (with guns and explosives) :)

And here I am, taking one hundred and twenty three turns to finish a terror mission. ???

(not that I'm completely patient. Impatience has killed so many of my troopers I don't even know the number)

I actually surprised that Piratez is balanced with impatience in mind. It's still fun and fast paced if you mostly disregard how log each individual mission will take.