Author Topic: OXCE v7.12 for Android  (Read 134780 times)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Re: OXCE v5.2 for Android
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2019, 10:25:49 pm »
On my Android 6.0 with 1 gigabyte of RAM, this version works well. I did not play a lot, but I ran several mods, including X-Files and X-Piratez, packed in zip-archives, there were no failures.

Of the features of the work, I can only indicate increased RAM consumption. When playing in X-Piratez, other applications running in the background are unloaded. Perhaps this is due to unpacking the mod. On older OXCE for Android, with X-Piratez not packed in the archive, this did not happen. But maybe there were some other reasons.

I'd expect some small increase in RAM consumption with the ziploader since it keeps zip directories and decompression contexts of all zips, plus the list of what file is where became more verbose. But I would not expect this to be significant. This I'll be looking into.

On a general note, 1Gb RAM is not really sufficient for Piratez. Also beware that since the lazy resource loading upgrade last year RAM usage grows with use, so it not being killed on startup means not much.

I also post OXCE for Android on the Russian-language forum for those who are uncomfortable to follow the updates here. I reported about this version as soon as it appeared, gave a link to the repository with it (and tried it myself at the same time). And when the link to download was changed here, I posted the apk-file itself, with a description of its capabilities. The file was downloaded 13 times (and someone could have previously downloaded from the repository), but so far there have been no reports of incorrect work.

Thanks!

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OXCE v5.3 for Android
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2019, 04:45:11 pm »

Offline arelim

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 10:46:32 pm »
i have trouble with 5.3.2's music output. no matter what files i put into sdcard/openxcom/TFTD/SOUND, ogg or flac, the music settings gets stuck at adlib. no matter what i choose, it states that it's currently on adlib, e.g. no music.
i tried with ufo 1, too; same result.
i'm using the gold version's files, if that matters.

also, i really really really hate recaptcha. is it necessary for admin approved, registered users to check for fire hydrants, crosswalks and buses for posting? just wondering.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 12:25:29 am »
i have trouble with 5.3.2's music output. no matter what files i put into sdcard/openxcom/TFTD/SOUND, ogg or flac, the music settings gets stuck at adlib. no matter what i choose, it states that it's currently on adlib, e.g. no music.
i tried with ufo 1, too; same result.

also, i really really really hate recaptcha. is it necessary for admin approved, registered users to check for fire hydrants, crosswalks and buses for posting? just wondering.

What's your phone and android version?

And where do you see the captcha?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 12:30:42 am »
i have trouble with 5.3.2's music output. no matter what files i put into sdcard/openxcom/TFTD/SOUND, ogg or flac, the music settings gets stuck at adlib.

Download link for the ogg/flac files you are trying to use?

no matter what i choose, it states that it's currently on adlib, e.g. no music.

why do you say adlib = no music??
adlib is the standard music as far as I know...

can you share these (not here, just via private message pls)?

I don't know but I will ask. It's something recent...

Edit: it's only for the first 2 posts... you won't need to do that in the future
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:36:24 pm by Meridian »

Offline arelim

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 11:37:22 am »
Download link for the ogg/flac files you are trying to use?

from here: https://openxcom.org/downloads-extras/
lorcán's music remake, fenyő's mt32 ogg files, also gifty's tftd custom music (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=3879.0)

why do you say adlib = no music??
adlib is the standard music as far as I know...
because adlib doesn't work for me. i know it was the standard in it's heyday. actually, it was sound blaster's adlib fm synthesis, what was the de facto. i even had a home-made covox isa card.

can you share these (not here, just via private message pls)?
just sent you some dropbox links

I don't know but I will ask. It's something recent...

Edit: it's only for the first post... you won't need to do that in the future
i hope so. i got a recaptcha again for the pm.

edit: i tried the windows version (5.3.2 too), with the same base files and custom ogg music, and i got a nice middle finger for my efforts. but the music works, midi through adlib emulation.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:15:28 pm by arelim »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 06:07:14 pm »
from here: https://openxcom.org/downloads-extras/
lorcán's music remake, fenyő's mt32 ogg files, also gifty's tftd custom music (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=3879.0)

I tried lorcan's OST... it works on PC and Mac... but not on Android, you're right... we will investigate. Thanks for the report.

because adlib doesn't work for me. i know it was the standard in it's heyday. actually, it was sound blaster's adlib fm synthesis, what was the de facto. i even had a home-made covox isa card.

just sent you some dropbox links

Thanks, I'll try them later and see what I can find out.

i hope so. i got a recaptcha again for the pm.

:/
It's a necessary evil, we've been having a megaton of spam lately.

I'll ask why I had to approve your second post too... sorry about that.

edit: i tried the windows version (5.3.2 too), with the same base files and custom ogg music, and i got a nice middle finger for my efforts. but the music works, midi through adlib emulation.

OGG on PC works fine for me... but I'll try with your base files too... something somewhere must explain this
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:11:47 pm by Meridian »

Offline arelim

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 08:22:21 pm »
I tried lorcan's OST... it works on PC and Mac... but not on Android, you're right... we will investigate. Thanks for the report.

Thanks, I'll try them later and see what I can find out.

:/
It's a necessary evil, we've been having a megaton of spam lately.

I'll ask why I had to approve your second post too... sorry about that.

OGG on PC works fine for me... but I'll try with your base files too... something somewhere must explain this

i have a cd version's files, too. they're also dysfunctional regarding the music. strange, indeed.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 10:31:11 pm »
i have a cd version's files, too. they're also dysfunctional regarding the music. strange, indeed.

Here is a new version: old link deleted

OGG playback (for example lorcan's soundtrack) should work now.
Please let us know if it works for you too.

Still figuring out what is wrong with Adlib... for me it works... for you and Stoddard not... we'll update you when we find out something new.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:29:48 pm by Meridian »

Offline arelim

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 11:42:57 pm »
Here is a new version: old link deleted

OGG playback (for example lorcan's soundtrack) should work now.
Please let us know if it works for you too.

Still figuring out what is wrong with Adlib... for me it works... for you and Stoddard not... we'll update you when we find out something new.

i have found a booboo:
Code: [Select]
ERROR] Music::load('SOUND/gmattbas.ogg') :Unrecognized audio formatthat's on android.

the new one works! thanks!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:29:56 pm by Meridian »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2019, 02:52:16 pm »
I looked into the files you sent me, the gold edition has only MIDI music files... which don't work on Android atm... we'll be looking into that.

You probably see Adlib only because the game didn't find/recognize any music at all and defaulted to this option.

I'm attaching the adlib music catalog (adlib.cat)... please try if this works for you... just to confirm if Adlib option as such works or not.

Offline arelim

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2019, 07:37:53 pm »
I looked into the files you sent me, the gold edition has only MIDI music files... which don't work on Android atm... we'll be looking into that.

You probably see Adlib only because the game didn't find/recognize any music at all and defaulted to this option.

I'm attaching the adlib music catalog (adlib.cat)... please try if this works for you... just to confirm if Adlib option as such works or not.
don't worry about android midi support. it'll need timidity at least to make it sound plausible, but eats resources like hell. my tablet goes through it's charge like a wolf through a young rabbit while playing the current version.

the adlib.cat attachment is for xcom-eu, using it with tftd plays the intercept music at the menu, which is cool btw. ;)

so, in short, adlib works perfectly.

edit: checked wth gm.cat and roland.cat, but i didn't find any option for roland, and gm didn't work.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 07:48:44 pm by arelim »

Offline arelim

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2019, 03:07:05 pm »
What's your phone and android version?

And where do you see the captcha?
amazon kindle fire hd 10 7th gen, android version is "fire os 5", maybe 5.1 lollipop

the captcha was at registration two times (once the password was not strong enough), and once at sending a pm. since then, nothing.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:10:42 pm by arelim »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2019, 05:35:49 pm »
edit: checked wth gm.cat and roland.cat, but i didn't find any option for roland, and gm didn't work.

roland.cat is not supported on any platform, in both OXC and OXCE

gm.cat (General MIDI) is supported... sort of... but doesn't work on Android at the moment, same as MIDI

Offline Aspa

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2019, 02:13:18 pm »
Having some upgrade trouble on a Pixel 2 with Android 9.

When trying to upgrade from OpenXcom Extended 5.3 (v2019-03-05) to the latest (Extended-5.3.2-78915c2-2019-03-25-android.apk) it fails.

From Logcat output I found this line:
PackageManager: Package org.libsdl.openxcom signatures do not match previously installed version; ignoring!

I have upgraded lots of times before, is this expected for this latest update? I guess I can reinstall, but it would be nice to avoid the hassle with copying over UFO/TFTD folders and savegames.