aliens

Author Topic: OXCE (OpenXcom Extended) main thread  (Read 445764 times)

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: OXCE (OpenXcom Extended) main thread
« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2019, 11:57:03 pm »
Personally I like to have both (prime/unprime) for each grenade and explosive.  :)
I use it... sometimes.
So I went through the "items" file and added the missing lines.  ;)
Everyone has their own preferences!  8)
Can you post a screenshot, how your grenade menu looks like now, after you did the mod?

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 13, 2019, 05:50:40 pm »
Hi. Very short (maybe kinda dumb) question.

How does the ToArmor: attribute works?

I understand that the difference between ToArmor and ToArmorPre is the moment when the damage to the armor is applied. But, I wanted to know if ToArmor can fail to do any damage to the armor.

I guess it is something like this.

Armor: 100
wDamage: 100
ToArmor: 0.1

if you roll 50%, 50, then you do no damage to the armor. But, if it is ToArmorPre, you do 5 damage to the armor
if wDamage is 150, you do 15 with ToArmorPre, and 5 with ToArmor.

It is correct?

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 13, 2019, 06:17:19 pm »
Can you post a screenshot, how your grenade menu looks like now, after you did the mod?
If you want....

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 13, 2019, 06:19:52 pm »

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2019, 09:47:01 am »
This is for code check, if anything can be done:

SLOWDOWN FIX:

The game was noticeably slowing down "almost to a crawl" that was impeding gameplay. Here is the fix I found:

There are too many checks in the probably unoptimized code for constantly - I mean every couple frames - to check the state of most equipment??!  WTH?? Lot of equipment lying on the floor of any craft is an FPS hog!

As a consequence:
You might notice during equipment loadout and on Battlescape your game has suddenly slowed down considerably.

To fix this:

While you are still on the base, press ALT+CTRL+X to clear all junk from your ship - Voilá! Instant SpeedUp - and then for the mission only pack the very few belongings you need: medipacks, grenades, maybe some ammo, but just a little heap!

As a result the game will be lightning fast again!!  I noticed this on a big map with many monsters & lots of units and smoke/fire explosions.  I thought it was my many units. No.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 09:55:20 am by mercy »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2019, 10:18:36 am »
The code was optimised several times.

Don't take thousands of items with you on a mission.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2019, 10:26:58 am »
The code was optimised several times.

Don't take thousands of items with you on a mission.
Okay. Makes sense. After all there is even a shortcut for it.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2019, 10:32:21 am »
List of Targets to Select in Line of Sight First

How difficult would be to code that if a soldier is facing "north" then the targets with the red rectangle icons would be list-ordered to be the first as well: [1], [2], [3], etc.. would mean targets towards the north, in the line of sight of the soldier. 

Currently my soldier is facing north and the red target select rectangle points to a target toward the south. If I press [1] => the camera centers on the target far behind my soldier and if I shoot then I'll hit my men behind me securing my back.

This would be some true Tactical Combat feature?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2019, 11:15:32 am »
Currently my soldier is facing north and the red target select rectangle points to a target toward the south.

That should not be possible.
Red rectangle shows only enemies in the line of sight of the soldier.

Do you have a screenshot/save where this can be seen?

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2019, 12:12:33 pm »
That should not be possible.
Red rectangle shows only enemies in the line of sight of the soldier.

Do you have a screenshot/save where this can be seen?

This occurs to me frequently with many units. When I click on the red [1] an enemy is selected far in the back of my soldier.
Will supply save + screenshot soon.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 14, 2019, 03:59:53 pm »
This sounds strange. Are you by any chance red/green colour blind? Because OXCE displays different target icons depending on which targets the selected unit can see.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 04:14:29 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 15, 2019, 05:19:25 pm »
Is there a place I can find the special keys within OXCE

e.g. CTRL+H - lets me know what happened on hit

I am especially interested in knowing how to change armors at loadout and also how to check which soldiers havent gotten experience during battlescape.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 17, 2019, 11:50:56 pm »
Is there a place I can find the special keys within OXCE

e.g. CTRL+H - lets me know what happened on hit
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6424.0.html

Crtl+H to show the hit/miss log for the last "action". (This is not meant to tell you how much damage is being done, only if it's hitting / actually hurting the enemy)

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 19, 2019, 04:09:10 pm »
Last night Windows made a big update....
Since this morning no OpenXcom games have been running. XFiles/OXCE 5.6.1 / 2 !
I have a white screen!
Any ideas?
Tks !

SOLVED !
Apparently I can no longer use OpenGL after this Windows update!
So I changed two lines in the Options.cfg file!
  useOpenGL: false
  useOpenGLShader: Shaders/Raw.OpenGL.shader

RE-SOLVED !
Everything's back to normal!
The update of Windows 10 had removed the drivers from my graphics card and it had replaced my drivers with a generic Microsoft driver.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:48:34 pm by BlackStaff »

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 29, 2019, 10:12:26 am »
Question to the creators:

Would you please attempt to estimate, how much money would you need to develop

Persistent Stormable Fortifications

?

Persistent = persists, if not defeated, just breached, command centre is not taken, but the attacking party is forced to leave. Or the attacking party only intends to gather some XP, so at game begin - like a Ratman Village in XPiratez or some low level Bandit Hideout, I land my forces at any such fortifications, fire a few shots, kill a couple enemies and when the going gets though - highest difficulty / ironman - I just leave. Leaving the fortification  in a "harassed" state.

The Persistent Fortification at this point becomes highlighted on the Geoscape, like a detected alien base.

Harassed Fortification = not beaten and regenerates SLOWLY, like in a month or two or three months max it will regenerate its soldiers numbers back to its original state PLUS a couple additions, like +soldiers, +weapons, etc.. Because next time they will be expecting us, but ONLY if they have fully regenerated!!!

Harassed + Wounded + Not Regenerated Fortification:
This is the goal of this feature: I continually harass a place/base and grind them down, kill a couple of their soldiers a couple times to reduce their number on multiple visits, while these repeatedly battered fortifications persist (until destroyed). So these places can be visited multiple times, like attacking Zenthil Keep in Pools of Darkness again and the soldiers always come out and shout:
- You won't beat us so easily!!

This feature would probably spawn many ideas, like Persistent Alien base, or in this case any fortification, Alien Citadel, Government High Rise Complex,  Secret Area-51 Compound,  Terrorist SuperHQ,  Cult Nexus, anything.

Notice please that BASE DEFENSE already is such a persistent fortification, since if the aliens storm my base and I beat them, I suffer casualties, certain of my rooms are destroyed, many of my soldiers die ==> my XCOM-force is weakened and we become a Harassed + Wounded / Battered + persistent fortification, until my base is destroyed ==>  aggressive alien retaliation

ONLY in the above case, it is the complete reverse! I want this BASE DEFENSE opportunity for the aliens too!  And I want any MISSION like in XPiratez or The XCOM Files, any location be generated with this persistence feature in mind.  In case anything goes wrong and I have to flee. Fleeing and planning revenge is the most important feature in tactical RPGs, I think, because they give the player strong emotions.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:24:14 am by mercy »