aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033418 times)

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3480 on: May 07, 2022, 09:57:02 pm »
There's also some sort of Zombie Tombs (???) underground mission that generated a multi-layer complex with, among other things, armored zombie Tomb Guardians. I don't remember what it was called, only that it was fairly far down the research chain.

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: May 11, 2022, 08:33:52 am »
Hello
Running new game with latest expansion/patch;
I chose that Girls are superior
Now it seems i cannot research trucks https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_TRUCKS
Are they only available if i chose "male touch" instead of girls are superior, lo i won't get them in this run?

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: May 11, 2022, 09:32:11 am »
Yes.

But don't worry, Gals get a bunch of toys of their own.

Offline DarthTheIII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: May 14, 2022, 05:07:03 am »
So I used to be able to adjust how many brainers were on a topic one at a time with scroll wheel, but now I can only do it 10 at a time.  Anyone know how to do 1 at a time again?

Also, do more uac vaults spawn now, or is it still limited to 5?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 10:05:16 am by DarthTheIII »

Offline Warzameg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: May 14, 2022, 11:42:03 am »
Hmm... does game options > advanced > change values with mouse wheel help?

The UAC vaults limit was eight, not five.  I don't know for sure if it's still that, but it hasn't sounded like there were any plans to make them unlimited (but some mention of making their finitude clearer somehow, instead).

Offline ExperimentX

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: May 16, 2022, 05:08:58 pm »
This might be a common/simple question, but how do I unlock the 2nd Captains log? I can't progress my voodoo and psi tech until I get that but there doesn't seem to be any previous research topics I need.

Offline Zum

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: May 16, 2022, 07:32:32 pm »
Relatively dumb question I think, but how to keep score up? Second game with -3000 score in April, even if I did all possible missions and followed a newbie guide(researched bounty hunting, missions, had 7 brainers in April, not May, etc). I noticed that my score goes down by like 200-300 every time that ufo flies under my radar, but wtf do I do I can't shut them down? I even rushed the helicopter with gun and it is completely and utterly useless.

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: May 16, 2022, 10:04:23 pm »
common issue, see: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,10299.0.html

any shipping flying around the map costs you points but you're not able to effectively make shootdowns until at least DAREDEVIL or BUCKAROO (ie Necrofighter Assembly). even these are mostly good for taking out land targets and pirate zeppelins; you don't have the speed necessary to catch proper UFOs until AIRCAR or similar. LITTLE BIRD cannot effectively fight anything, best used as a short range transport for the Glamour spawns built into it. for early airgame boost, try starting in Iron Tribe (for Daredevil) or Blackmarch (for FAUST avail. after Car Thieves)

outside of that, use Little Bird for missions where you can get away with it, the glamour it spawns is a pretty decent points boost. spread your brainers out in teams of 2-4 to avoid wasting brainer-days, and take advantage of the low-cost researches (ex. Journey Notes, Gun Almanac, Expedition Reports etc.) to convert brainerdays into score.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 11:52:18 pm by Psyentific »

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: May 20, 2022, 12:49:36 pm »
Relatively dumb question I think, but how to keep score up? Second game with -3000 score in April, even if I did all possible missions and followed a newbie guide(researched bounty hunting, missions, had 7 brainers in April, not May, etc). I noticed that my score goes down by like 200-300 every time that ufo flies under my radar, but wtf do I do I can't shut them down? I even rushed the helicopter with gun and it is completely and utterly useless.

I hope you are not running on JS. Those scores are certainly possible on JS, but less so on 'normal' difficulties.

Offline Interdictor

• Sergeant
  • AC-Incendiary! Let autocannon burn again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: May 22, 2022, 12:55:29 am »
How to get cloaking device after rejecting the power?

I see necessary Shadowtech listed as acquirable from gnome interrogation but what does "Get one free protected" section mean?
https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_GNOME

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: May 22, 2022, 04:52:18 pm »
It means you cannot get it without the prequisite locked topic (which, incidentally, is also got from gnome).

Offline JDCollie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: May 22, 2022, 10:15:15 pm »
Which difficulties have all content available?

Offline Warzameg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: May 23, 2022, 12:06:44 pm »
Which difficulties have all content available?

Basically, anything from the second difficulty up.  (There are some bad events and the like you can only experience at higher difficulties.)

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: May 30, 2022, 01:24:08 pm »
Ninja airfield base question.
I scouting mission to the ninja to see if it still had no big gun-turrets, and noticed that the map was way narrower than usual.
1) How much troops can i send to still get the narrower map?
2) Does the narrow map contains proportionally less ninjas, allowing me to assault them with my best gals instead of doing the usual horde vs horde big fight?

Offline vjmdhzgr

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: June 02, 2022, 10:28:33 pm »
What are some good guns? I feel like there's some decent shotguns, and the confederate eagle seems like a good pistol. But shotguns are worthless against armor. It feels like everything else I research though just hardly does much damage. I'm a whole year in and I haven't found good weapons yet.