Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1034062 times)

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3495 on: June 03, 2022, 12:16:26 am »
What are some good guns? I feel like there's some decent shotguns, and the confederate eagle seems like a good pistol. But shotguns are worthless against armor. It feels like everything else I research though just hardly does much damage. I'm a whole year in and I haven't found good weapons yet.
"good guns" depends entirely on how far you're at.

• Shiny Niner is a good early handgun, better than most other 2x1 pistols available when you get it
  • Black Adder is a holdout pistol that magdumps
  • Suppressed Pistol, Precision Pistol, Ol' Rifle/Zipgun, and other shooters that scale with Reactions or Firing
  • Best 1x2 shooter in the game is the Mini Cougar SMG, followed by its predecessor Smartpistol
  • Super Sawed-Off is absolutely fantastic
  • The first time a Ninja Gal quadblasts you with a Blunderbuss, you will begin to appreciate its power.
  • Kustom Blunderbuss is a high speed drum-fed tactical death machine. Bling ammo scales with TUs
  • Tommy/Laser Tommy/Plasma Tommy are all excellent heavy SMGs
  • Autogun/Gyro-Stabilized Autogun/Meridian's Magical Autogun are like Tommy, but bigger and longer ranged.
  • Bayoneted AK is a surprise early/midgame workhorse. Great mass-production weapon, give it to squaddie gals.
  • If you can score some Zeerust Carbines from Old Earth Weapon Boxes, you will quickly grow to appreciate them
  • Heavy Rifle lets you lay down HMG bullets without bringing an HMG. Use /PS bullets to shoot through Osiron Security and friends.
  • Honourable mention to the Air Musket, which can be used underwater
  • The 40mm Grenade Launcher, single shot, is one of my most consistent midgame workhorses. The kneeling firing bonus helps it reach across the map.
  • Blizzard Pocket MLRS. If the name doesn't convince you, it's a great sidearm for fitting on a riflegal's belt.
  • The humble RPG is a relatively light and fun rocket launcher. Fitting ammo in the belt allows it to be much easier to deploy than a heavier Rocket Launcher. Apply RPG /DP warheads liberally, at least two explosions every mission.
  • Quad Launcher has similar boom to the RPG, but can Autoshot x4. It's best if you're a little bit inaccurate with this thing, trust me.
  • Don't underestimate the LASS; 1x3 means it fits in a PIRATE's backpack slot just like a Saber or Rapier. Great at knocking out armored cars or brothel walls.
  • The Scoped Magnum's description is accurate.
  • M-Lasguns shoot straight, hit hard, are robust in melee, and are heavy as fuck. Remember to bring extra clips.
  • Stick Grenades and Stick Bombs are quite fun, load a gal down with a half-dozen and cosplay as a trench raider.
  • Armed Land Mines are basically spicy frisbees.

this list is not comprehensive. experiment with different guns, take the autocannons out to play and so on. this game is at its best when you are fucking around and finding out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 12:22:36 am by Psyentific »

Offline balam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: June 21, 2022, 02:10:45 pm »
consumables and ammunitions won't be used if you leave one charge/shot??

Offline Berggen

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: June 21, 2022, 07:07:51 pm »
consumables and ammunitions won't be used if you leave one charge/shot??

I think they are reorganized in some way, I'm not very sure how it works exactly but a very simple example will be, if you finish the mission wih one magazine with three bullets and another magazine with four bullets, the game will replenish one of the magazines and you will lose the other one.

Any of the veterans can correct me if I'm very wrong.

Offline Torchwood

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: June 21, 2022, 07:14:20 pm »
Used to be that partially depleted clips would be considered used up after the end of the mission, unless you unload them. That's how it worked in old UFO defense. OXCE uses a more fair method to determine consumption: Basically, it tallies how much ammo was used and gives you that much likelihood that a magazine is spent. So for example, if 10 shots were fired from a 30 capacity magazine, there's a 1/3 chance the magazine is considered used up after the mission, if there's a sum total of 50 shots of that ammo type across the battlefield, the consumption is 1 magazine + 2/3 chance of another.

Offline balam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: June 22, 2022, 06:24:54 pm »
makes sense, thx!

What's the difference between embrace/reject the power??

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: June 23, 2022, 11:28:03 am »
Reject the power is easier in the first few months, but becomes considerably more difficult until basically mid-late game.

Embrace the power leads you down the traditional codex path, relying to a great degree on shadowtech

Reject adds at least three difficult technological hurdles to crack, and you are expected to significantly lean on technologies that usually see no use.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3501 on: June 23, 2022, 12:57:31 pm »
"Reject the power" is pretty much an alternative mode for two kinds of people:
1. Experienced players who have already finished the game and want to play something different (and somewhat harder).
2. Unsurprisingly, people who make it a point to reject any kind of authority over them (since "we're pirates!" and all that), or specifically dislike making deals with quasi-divine beings.

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: June 23, 2022, 11:32:12 pm »
Reject the Power is for the most part a dumb meme choice. Biggest impact for me would be being locked out of the good midgame crafts behind each Codex. There's a couple hidden things on the Reject path (ex. Original Knights of Cydonia) but any of the codex paths has more and better content.

Offline balam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: June 29, 2022, 05:41:59 pm »
How to deal with missile strikes on Jack Sparrow? I'm on my first playthrough and got my first missile strike in august. It destroyed a couple of buildings, but nothing I couldn't recover from, or so I thought. Then again, and again... the strikes wouldn't stop coming. I must've been hit 4 or 5 times this month. My base is razed. Am I supposed to have defenses by now? I do have flak towers in my research list...

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: June 29, 2022, 06:03:28 pm »
Am I supposed to have defenses by now?

No, let them hit you 5 more times, for good measure.

Spoiler:
yes

Offline balam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: June 29, 2022, 06:30:22 pm »
time for another restart... so I need to rush flak towers? how many do I need by august?

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: June 29, 2022, 07:40:02 pm »
The strikes only start in august, so no need to rush I suppose. The first weak missles have 300hp, the rest are normal missiles with 500hp. Also, there's only 23% chance that you get missle striked each month... but the chance grows to 62% if you cleared the "Disruptive Transmissions" mission. So if you did that mission then you're fucked. But if didn't do that mission, it's not so bad and you don't need to restart - you should have enough time to research and build some defenses. Also, Flak Towers suck, get Flak Cannons. 3 of them (plus armored vaults) should be enough for a 90% chance of shooting them down.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 10:29:04 pm by Delian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3507 on: June 29, 2022, 09:22:13 pm »
time for another restart... so I need to rush flak towers? how many do I need by august?

Or you can play on a normal difficulty. Like a normal person who hasn't beaten the mod at least once.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: June 30, 2022, 05:34:07 pm »
The strikes only start in august, so no need to rush I suppose. The first weak missles have 300hp, the rest are normal missiles with 500hp. Also, there's only 23% chance that you get missle striked each month... but the chance grows to 62% if you cleared the "Disruptive Transmissions" mission. So if you did that mission then you're fucked. But if didn't do that mission, it's not so bad and you don't need to restart - you should have enough time to research and build some defenses. Also, Flak Towers suck, get Flak Cannons. 3 of them (plus armored vaults) should be enough for a 90% chance of shooting them down.

There is absolutely 0 chance to get flak cannons beforeJS missile strikes.

The current meta is keeping the armored vaults and having 2 Overcharged radars by july(not august), and 4 by august.

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: June 30, 2022, 06:20:43 pm »
There is absolutely 0 chance to get flak cannons before JS missile strikes.

Dunno about meta, but I have them in May.