Author Topic: Everyday is Caturday Challenge Run  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Yugian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Everyday is Caturday Challenge Run
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 11:06:31 pm »
Captains Log #2
1st of May 2601
Bloomsday

Something is flying outside of the base. Scouts have reported an thin silhouette circling around. Assuming it was a drone, I ordered the crew to bunker down and expeditionary crew to be recalled. It wasn't the first time we'd been attacked in our home, and i'd have us be ready if the academy wanted to have round two with us. Thankfully, it was neither the Academy, nor an attack force... Rather, it was worse. It was those Ubers again- and they're rather cross with us. Some of our contacts later told us that those were 'Ninjas', that the blips we saw on radar was their interceptor force.

'Bikes', as you were, that could easily shoot down our airbus. We have to be Extraordinarily careful from now on: We don't have claws for Sky combat. If they catch us, we'll lose an entire wing of Claw-Sisters to an ambush. Once more, I press Cat O'Nine Tails for Airships: And once more im denied aid. It simply cannot be done through the channels we have.

Cat O'Nine Tails however is making good on her promise to help swell our numbers. Within but a few months, our numbers have exploded nearly twice over. Going from our original eight to Twenty three, I fear almost that we have expanded too fast. I know the Original Starlight crew well, as if we were a litter. But they are not familiar with me yet as a Captain- I do not blame them for this. Leadership changes a sister. Now they must get familiar with equally wild personalities- whom in turn that do not know me. My leadership is tested, and I must be sufficient for task.

It was already tested when we were put to task, to save some of the Peregrine Cult- Tourists from that spiritual ideology. A swarm of bats descended upon the sisters- I still wonder why they were in the bloody Coldof all things... But. We could only save one. A mystic by the name of SquirrelWizard (They claim that they were given this name. Fair enough, I'll find out their real name soon enough) The others scattered or were dead. I see hurt in the sisters eyes, and wonder if they blame me for the failure of the operation... or if they wish for vengeance upon the foe, that we did the best we could? That we were unprepared and had to fight with skin upon snow, certainly did not help our case. I was interred for at least a week from my bits wanting to freeze off...

But. The point stands. We've certainly the capacity to fight now. And fight we will. Before writing my log, I had to manage payroll... There was not enough Cognac for my needs. If the sisters knew that we're only making a fourth of what was needed, I'd have a full blown Rebellion or Trial to cull the numbers. The most dangerous thing that a mercenary force can do- is know that their payroll is unreliable. But I've kept the secret for now: If I am able to expand our labor force quickly enough and increase through-put... They'll never know, and they'll be happy kits. Right as rain, and we can get back to plundering.

To put their minds at ease, I've assigned a Wing to the Little Bird. They've already shot down several craft, and I've tasked them with finding more ammo for its machine gun. When sisters are busy with killing, there's little time for questioning. Hell, I'm rather quite proud of them as of late: Despite the privative tech, they shot down an entire wing of enemy aircraft. "Necropirates', as they are called. Amazingly resilient though- I will need the Research team to figure out what they hell they are Exactly, but to this date: No sister has been put into the Graybook. I am thankful for their skill and capabilities- yet must be scornful of how quickly some of them waste their nine lives.

I can feel that book burning though; Throbbing as it looks as me. It wishes for a victim. My anxiety only grows.

Stream is over after running late. Aaaaaa
You can watch the VOD here!
Sauce

Post Mortem

Hired: Violeta Kellide (Way of Shadow, B-9, K-9), NictisOfTheMafia (B-10 K-10), Lucille (Newly Hired!), Wabbon (Newly Hired!)

Survivors: Gwynevere Bennett (Way of Missed Strike, B-20 K-39), Zephyr1124 (B-25, K-48), Gentlefood (Way of Shadow, B-22, K-26), Kiest (B-19, K-35), Xeoposer (B-14, K-16), Roush (B-26, K-39), Isdar (B-23, K-25), Kaminyan The Blender Cat (Way of Death, B-25, K-60), Tarmph (B-31, K-56), NebTheSquid (B-5, K-14), Catvy (Way of Shadow, B-19, K-43), Fleur Vert (B-24, K-36), Doctor Rex (B-10, K-7), ArdriKrios (B-9, K-17), NinjaZombie0 (B-11, K-16), SquirrelWizard (Way of Sunlight, B-13, K-15) Curechain9 (B-13, K-8), Mjolko (B-15, K-13), Talemgrandmaster (B-16, K-30) Shirajirajin (B-15, K-11), , Slegex (B-13 K-17)

Died: shoGGofu (B-6. K-6. Spartan Ambush.), The Little Bird (Lasted all of a month. Stupid Jetbike spawning on top of it. At least it went down swinging.)

Deus Ex Machinas: 18 (34 Total)
The base defense. The fuuuuucking base defense... I've learned to respect Difficulty 4 Dogetide.

The Good: Industrial Output is at full capacity. Suppressed Pistols are Online Baby. Space suits means that we'll have Undersea missions soon, and the first upgraded Transport is unlocked. Still need to buy it (Which costs too much). Brainers are near capped out and we'll get some more here soon with personal labs coming up. Kevlar is the next objective.

The Bad: Dogetide. Holy Shit dogs are nasty on Difficulty 4. I think 9+ of the DEM's today was just "And the dog cleared 2 chambers into the third one, and killed someone". Someone finally died as well, Sorry Shog. Turns out we got unlucky and spawned into Spartans.

Some really bad First Spawn turns as well. That sucked too.

The Funny: As much as it sucked Balls, it is kind of funny that the Ninja Jetbike spawned onto of my Helicopter coming back. As if to say "Begone with you!"

Also I learned that Dogs are their own faction now. They must be, because I had an agent mission with nothing but Dogs. Dogetide must of gotten them too.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 01:43:02 pm by Yugian »

Offline Kamivax

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 10:25:45 pm »
Another funny is finding out one of the cats most dedicated to melee is also one of if not THE most accurate shooter in the crew. How the hell does that happen?

Offline Yugian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2024, 10:38:21 pm »
Another funny is finding out one of the cats most dedicated to melee is also one of if not THE most accurate shooter in the crew. How the hell does that happen?

Shotguns, stupid good ACC Growth and Lady Luck Medals.

Thats at least a +6 right there. Which, considering your at 137- basically accounts for all but one bonus. Which im pretty sure "Master of X" is getting the last of it.

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2024, 10:55:26 pm »
some absolutely brutal missions in this session. nice to see that people are starting to run out of redos and dying-for-real.

Offline Yugian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2024, 11:00:36 pm »
some absolutely brutal missions in this session. nice to see that people are starting to run out of redos and dying-for-real.

Honestly, half of those were because im pants on head stupid, and tried to push some things I shouldnt have (Why did i think that Reaction killing spiders was a good idea?)

Dogetide though? Thats just. Fuck.

Still. If people are gonna spend em, earlier is typically better in an XCOM game. But yeah. The Tax refund is basically over. Which is good. I've gotten a good feel for how we wanna fight. Cats as they are Really don't want to fight in the day. And every occasion we have to is a mass casualty event waiting to happen. Kevlar cant come soon enough.

Offline Yugian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2024, 11:02:32 pm »
Captains Log #3
2nd of July, 2601
Crossday

A disaster and a tragedy. One for each month. The first is... A set back. The second however, is the first of many losses to come. This is not the first time I've lost a claw sister. It is not the first time I've even lost squads. But I was never the captain. I was always a field commander. I fought and bled with my sisters upon the field, fighting against the Ethereal empire and its auxiliaries. I've fought pirates (Irony abounds that we're now the very same thing we hunted), scum and fools. But today, is the first time that someone has died under my commission. Her death was... undignified. An ambush at the breach- gunned down by a spray of machinegun fire. So much happening at once that we couldn't even retrieve her body.

I... I feel remorse for this. That we've no means to give her last burial rites. That we cannot retrieve her body, as those... Those Men have likely done terrible things with it. The crew already looks to me for answers. Half are wondering how it happened- the ground crew blame themselves for abandoning Shog's body in the chaos... and there is an air of vengeance on the deck. The illusion of invincibility has been broken. There is Starlight blood on Terran soil: an insult that cannot be rectified. The sisters scowl sharply as they sharpen their blades.

Next time... Next time, they will not run. There is blood in the water, and they are on the hunt.

As if my authority wasn't under enough threat, we also faced an assault force of Ratmen- taking vengeance for our successes as of late. They employed combat dogs that... Nearly took the lives of several other sisters. I could count as many as they defied fortune, their lives burning away as panic overtook the base. We were VERY lucky: No lives were lost. But these encounters are weakening faith in the crew. Doubt is creeping in- And the disaster with the spiders... The governments are happy with our performance, but the morale of the crew MUST be accounted for. If they lose faith... Mutiny is not far behind. They will not die for a cause if they believe I do not have their best interests at heart.

We're starting to face foes our equal- and we are sorely underequipped. These last few disasters have only highlighted how dangerously underprepared we are. Now that mortality has crept its hand over our shoulders- our sisters feel encroaching death. He has now become my foe- It is not a battle that I can win, but I must keep him at bay... And considering we cannot commission armor from home, we must look to domestic solutions. Perhaps we will look to the very killers that took Shoggofu's life, for our solution. Our claw sisters reported that they were rather resistant to our attacks...

I still need time to write a Eulogy. As with my logs as of recent, I've been having to do so by my bedside. Once I'm on my feet again, I can give the proper address. The sisters need to know that our fallen are not forgotten. That even if they gave everything for our dream, that they still shall return to the stars with us.

All Glorious, to our fallen sisters. All glorious, for vengeance we shall have. These Men shall pay the price.

Stream is Over
The Vod is here!
Sauce

Post Mortem
Hired: Sayuri (Way of Claw, B-15, K-18)

Survivors: Gwynevere Bennett (Way of Missed Strike, B-27 K-55, Zephyr1124 (B-30, K-69), Gentlefood (Way of Shadow, B-29, K-39), Kiest (B-21, K-35), Xeoposer (B-26, K-54), Isdar (B-28, K-51), Kaminyan The Blender Cat (Way of Death, B-29, K-80), Tarmph (B-39, K-79), NebTheSquid (B-11, K-20), Catvy (Way of Shadow, B-25, K-56), Fleur Vert (B-29, K-55), Doctor Rex (B-13, K-10), ArdriKrios (B-19, K-38), NinjaZombie0 (B-15, K-24), SquirrelWizard (Way of Sunlight, B-20, K-20), Mjolko (B-20, K-18), Talemgrandmaster (B-23, K-36) Shirajirajin (B-17, K-11), , Slegex (B-19, K-23), Violeta Kellide (Way of Shadow, B-20, K-34), NictisOfTheMafia (B-21 K-19), , Wabbon (B-6, K-4)

Died: Roush (B-27, K-40, Gave their life to save another sister. Got Robo-coped with Dragonbreath Rounds.), Lucille (B-11, K-16, Tried to Match the Drifter with the Big Iron on his Hip.) Curechan9 (B-17, K-12, The Winter Tower was a Trap.)

Deus Ex Machinas: 8 (42 Total)
The Winter Tower. THE WINTER TOWER.

The Good: Kevlar is Online. Didn't do Lucille much good, but hey, we have it now. Red Codex is Active. 17 Brainers are going at it- so Research is in full swing.  Also Rifle bullets are manufacturable now, so the Whirly Bird can actually KILL things again on the AIrscape. Hell yeah.

The Bad: I learned today units can be displaced. This happened to disastrous effect regarding the Comms tower. Either they rushed me, or suicide dove bombed right into my cats. Sorry Curechan.

Doctor X is not an Optional Encounter. We need advanced medicine to continue the Story/Progession line. Therefore, Caturday is impossible. To move past the roadblock, we are allowing one set of Ubers to be hired to go do the X-Prison.

The Funny: Nothing overly funny in the moment. Bandit Camp Large went pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 09:08:36 am by Yugian »

Offline Kamivax

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2024, 01:46:44 pm »
Is it any ubers or it has to be lunatic ubers only to deal with X?

Offline John___Doe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2024, 09:44:57 pm »
It isn't hard to allow cats in x-prison, just need to add them and their desired outfit in the xprison startcon. It would look something like the attached.

Offline Yugian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2024, 10:39:17 pm »
It isn't hard to allow cats in x-prison, just need to add them and their desired outfit in the xprison startcon. It would look something like the attached.

Its not, but im trying to play as hard by the rules of the game as possible- so others can follow the steps if they wanted to do Caturday. Its why I started in Catlifornia and planked the starting six ubers.
That being said, If its thematically interesting- there might be room to bend the rules a Little bit...
Side bar, thanks for the file.  ;)

Edit - As I think about it, It still might be impossible, even if we bring cats along. The doors might be too strong for them to breach, and I dont know how much its destruction factor is.
Reedit- Never mind, I misremembered the first door being sliding. its 100% possible. Just need to quickly grab the pickaxe

Is it any ubers or it has to be lunatic ubers only to deal with X?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 11:44:25 pm by Yugian »

Offline Yugian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2024, 12:46:53 am »
So Im writing up some more bits for this- and this post will be edited so im not spaming my own thread, but in the intermediary- Its spurred an interesting debate in my 'cord.

https://strawpoll.com/xVg7j4dLrnr

How Do We want to handle the X-Prison mission? Im debating between legitimacy and Thematic appeal. Putting it to a vote here.