aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071420 times)

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3375 on: November 30, 2022, 04:47:14 am »
6x3% chance to spawn and 15% chance to upgrade an existing tier 3 mansion aren't exactly good odds. Didn't Vakrug raid them for loot, though?

There are also convoys, retaliations and base assaults. The convoys don't seem to be in yet, and I've yet to encounter a retaliation myself, possibly because I tend to kill them off as soon as I'm able.
Lotus mansions on Iron Man is a very difficult target. I started assaulting them only when all my fighters had a blue ttb.

But the point is different. Why in three gaming years I have not found two golden academies, the creation of which was notified to me by the game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:43:53 am by Akamashi »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: November 30, 2022, 08:09:25 am »
But the point is different. Why in three gaming years I have not found two golden academies, the creation of which was notified to me by the game.
The answer is the same: the notifications and the missions are not connected (besides the fact that the notifications precede the missions). And it's entirely possible that you rolled snake eyes all that time, with low chances like that. XCF is full of such randomness, by design.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: November 30, 2022, 10:41:08 am »
The answer is the same: the notifications and the missions are not connected (besides the fact that the notifications precede the missions). And it's entirely possible that you rolled snake eyes all that time, with low chances like that. XCF is full of such randomness, by design.
Eh, you use complex idioms that are difficult for me to understand, because I am not a native English speaker.

Online yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: November 30, 2022, 11:04:11 am »
Eh, you use complex idioms that are difficult for me to understand, because I am not a native English speaker.
"Snake eyes" is gaming slang synonymous with bad luck. It comes from the fact that when you roll two game cubes, if each of them will fall on one, then on their upper faces you can see points. Two cubes - two dots - two eyes. This is the worst possible result of such a roll and it was given its own name - "snake eyes".
Similarly, in OpenXcom, as well as in any other game where randomness plays a big role, a permanent failure for the player is possible - it's infrequent, but it happens.
P.S. I don't know English, but this phrase is found in literature, and not only in translated English.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3379 on: November 30, 2022, 01:52:53 pm »
I ran into some hallway abnormalities in the Moon Tunnels mission, the one with the two turrets at the end of the hallway. I sent a couple agents up into the vents and regularly hit patches that looked like open hallways but which were blocked and darkened as if they had no light. I was still able to traverse the length of the ducts, so no major issue.

This one is strange, never seen it before and can't reproduce.

I completely forgot about an old bug in the current batch. Immediately after the beginning of the invasion, a message about the formation of the golden academy was displayed to me with an interval of several months. Nevertheless, three playing years after that, I still haven't found any golden academies. I have combed the entire globe a huge number of times in search of bases. There are no golden academies. All the mansions of the lotus were mansions, and they will remain so in the future. That was at 2.6 version, i mean.

It is possible that they never actually succeeded in establishing anything. In which case they're like those government projects whre you have a full (and well paid) staff to run, say, an airport, despite there being no actual physical airport. :P

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: November 30, 2022, 11:01:26 pm »
A funny incident just happened! Only I successfully completed the assault on the battleship Cyberweb. I read pretentious screensavers about the great victory and that from now on the captured will go to a good cause. How the cyberveb battleship appears in the sky and starts flying around the globe, although my marshal didn't even have time to return to base.))) Well, at least marauder easily finished him off. But an unpleasant feeling remained. Then either the Cyberwebs stole it again, or "for a good cause" turned out to be government corruption in fact.)))

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3381 on: December 01, 2022, 11:47:07 am »
A funny incident just happened! Only I successfully completed the assault on the battleship Cyberweb. I read pretentious screensavers about the great victory and that from now on the captured will go to a good cause. How the cyberveb battleship appears in the sky and starts flying around the globe, although my marshal didn't even have time to return to base.))) Well, at least marauder easily finished him off. But an unpleasant feeling remained. Then either the Cyberwebs stole it again, or "for a good cause" turned out to be government corruption in fact.)))

I did what I could to prevent that, but in this case it triggered in the perfect moment... Sorry :)

Offline SBBurzmali

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: December 01, 2022, 06:32:57 pm »
Is the Black Sphere item currently spawning on any maps?

Offline Nalca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: December 02, 2022, 01:03:22 am »
I have a 'Haunted farm' mission in Antarctica.
Kinda empty, like we can expect for anything in Antarctica.

But, a farm::)

Offline SBBurzmali

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: December 02, 2022, 10:18:41 pm »
This one is strange, never seen it before and can't reproduce.
Here's an example of the spot. I have a save if you need it.

Offline OmegaDarkcat

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: December 04, 2022, 01:00:02 am »
First post on these forums, but I just wanted to report a bug.

After starting a new game, completing a simple "Cult activity" Mission - the kind that is just a single cultist on a small map - awards a whole lot of commendations that shouldn't be appearing. These commendations are the ones for going into space, or going into the dream lands,or underwater, etc. I've included a partial screenshot of the Medal list below, as well as the save file.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: December 04, 2022, 09:53:58 am »
First post on these forums, but I just wanted to report a bug.

After starting a new game, completing a simple "Cult activity" Mission - the kind that is just a single cultist on a small map - awards a whole lot of commendations that shouldn't be appearing. These commendations are the ones for going into space, or going into the dream lands,or underwater, etc. I've included a partial screenshot of the Medal list below, as well as the save file.

You don't have the required version of OXCE.

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: December 07, 2022, 11:47:16 am »
I've completed magma zombie lab but accidentally sold all zombie trooper corpses. Thus i got magma msg 2.
And if i read rules right, magma lab won't spawn anymore because of
`researchTriggers: STR_MESSAGE_FROM_MAGMA_02: false`.
So, I locked myself out of implant upgrades, right?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: December 07, 2022, 03:01:58 pm »
So, I locked myself out of implant upgrades, right?
Looks like it. Maybe it could use a failsafe (like the Tiny Drill finally got). Or maybe it's just something you live with, not everything needs to be accessible in one playthrough.

How does one 'accidentally' sell new, unresearched enemy corpses, anyway?

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: December 07, 2022, 07:14:20 pm »
not everything needs to be accessible in one playthrough.

golden words
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 07:59:42 pm by Akamashi »