aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072997 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3360 on: November 21, 2022, 01:34:08 pm »
Most seem to be like Blaster Bomb not notifying that it was unlocked for research after Fusion Weapons was completed despite all the other pre-requisites being met and the item being in inventory. Is that an engine issue or a mod issue?

I'm not sure why this happens, but it's probably an engine issue.

Would you have a save to test? I could prepare one, but such "artificial" saves might miss some seemingly unrelated thing.

I couldn't, although I suppose it sounds strange enough that you won't believe me without evidence. I've long since overwritten the save. Maybe eventually I will recreate the scenario.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I certainly do. I just think you are wrong somehow, since such an effect is impossible to achieve even if I wanted to.
Or I simply misunderstand.

Chryssalid Gas Grenade is missing a description, it just displays  STR_CHRYSSALID_GAS_GRENADE_UFOPEDIA at the moment.

Thank you! Fixed.

For research like Anthropod, is that intended to have multiple dead end versions? You get the description and combat analysis from researching the grunt, hunter or packmaster but you can still research the other versions but the don't have any results. You still get some points, so that is nice, but there are dozens of research project, maybe over 100, that are obsoleted by other research projects like that.

The result is extra points, but indeed there is no new unit entry, because you already know them. It's literally the same with vanilla races.

The item Mysterious Parcel from Syndicate can be researched, but it doesn't have any unlocks, description or mission triggers that I can see.

Sorry, it is still WIP. If I don't change my mind, this will unlock another "advanced class" (like Kyberos, Protean etc.)

The house the is unique to the Televised Ghost Hunt, I think it's the one with all the salt piles in it, has geometry issues, there are doors that you phase through and at least one hallway that is impassable.

Yeah, it was ssriously borked. Sorry! All fixed now, I hope.

Careful, that's a sensitive issue for Solarius. :-\

Only when someone wants to fuck with me, not when talking about it normally.

I found two black lotus base in the same town, active at the same time. Is it intended ?

Not as much intended as sometimes inevitable. Consider it normal.

I'm not trying to start a ruckus, it's just an observation, as the mod is still a WIP, I thought it might have ended up orphaned when something else was changed and should have been pointed at something else or inactivated pending further updates.

I believe I fixed this before... And it results from some unexpected issue with base upgrades. Please report if this is still happening with new bases.

You can deal with him by dropping a grenade on his head, but yeah, he probably shouldn't be stuck in the terrain.

Indeed... I am not sure why they'd be like this, though :P

Offline BreakRelease

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: November 26, 2022, 01:11:42 pm »
It'd be nice if armor lists were more consistent for underwater missions. After tackling the Tasoth factory with Synthsuits suddenly I can't bring them to the T'leth Embassy or Deep One Village Raid missions.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: November 26, 2022, 02:02:56 pm »
Isn't the Tasoth Factory non-watery, i.e. a pressurised facility? Embassies and Deep One towers are small isolated buildings right on the sea floor.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: November 26, 2022, 05:58:13 pm »
I find the whole "synthsuit lets you survive underwater"-thing a bit strange tbh. How does "being stronger" equal "can breath underwater" and "not getting crushed to death"?

Offline BreakRelease

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: November 26, 2022, 10:21:29 pm »
Isn't the Tasoth Factory non-watery, i.e. a pressurised facility?
It has a restricted armor set and swaps armors to their underwater variants.
I find the whole "synthsuit lets you survive underwater"-thing a bit strange tbh. How does "being stronger" equal "can breath underwater" and "not getting crushed to death"?
Presumably it has less to do with being stronger and more to do with being a pressurized suit. It's clearly not an accident that it has an underwater variant, as one can deduce by reading the UFOPedia entry for Dog Synthgear.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: November 26, 2022, 10:32:14 pm »
With the latest update, enemies in some Dimension X missions have been acting indefinitely. For their progress, I even have to click on the sign "the application is not responding" several times. So far, this has happened to me on the two final cyberweb missions. At the same time, other large-scale missions not related to changing x are played perfectly.

Offline BreakRelease

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: November 26, 2022, 10:38:36 pm »
Evidently I can also only bring 7 agents to the "earlier" underwater missions even though I have Advanced Underwater Operations unlocked. Not a big problem, but it's not what I was expecting.

With the latest update, enemies in some Dimension X missions have been acting indefinitely. For their progress, I even have to click on the sign "the application is not responding" several times. So far, this has happened to me on the two final cyberweb missions. At the same time, other large-scale missions not related to changing x are played perfectly.
Not trying to contradict you, just adding a data point: I also did these missions recently and didn't come across any issues like that.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: November 26, 2022, 11:27:21 pm »
It has a restricted armor set and swaps armors to their underwater variants.
Well, I suppose it is full of water, then. :-\

Presumably it has less to do with being stronger and more to do with being a pressurized suit. It's clearly not an accident that it has an underwater variant, as one can deduce by reading the UFOPedia entry for Dog Synthgear.
But the code does not have an underwater Synhsuit. So it's either something still in the works or Solarius just forgot (because that line about non-underwater dog Synthsuits has been there for a while).

I'm also kinda unclear on how a suit built from synthetic muscles is suddenly pressurised, but, well, who knows what the reasoning is here. The sprite was originally some sort of diving suit in TWoTS, if I'm not mistaken, so it's not totally inappropriate.

Evidently I can also only bring 7 agents to the "earlier" underwater missions even though I have Advanced Underwater Operations unlocked. Not a big problem, but it's not what I was expecting.
I think Solarius once said (and from some experience of doing similar things, I concur) that catching all of these special cases when your sub needs to upgrade is still WIP due to how much fiddling it needs. Since the sub is spawned by a map script, and these tend to be attached to missions, so you need a new mission for each sub, and the old subs need to be disabled as well.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: November 27, 2022, 05:56:44 am »
Not trying to contradict you, just adding a data point: I also did these missions recently and didn't come across any issues like that.
I am 99% sure now that it freezes exactly when the automatic turrets are trying to move. Ordinary cyberweb adherents move without these huge freezes.

Offline BreakRelease

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: November 29, 2022, 03:22:05 am »
Havent updated to the newest version yet (so 2.6), but i got a terror mission with a impossible terrain for non-fliers...
I just got the same thing, on version 2.7 terror mission at Seychelles Island.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3370 on: November 29, 2022, 01:03:00 pm »
It'd be nice if armor lists were more consistent for underwater missions. After tackling the Tasoth factory with Synthsuits suddenly I can't bring them to the T'leth Embassy or Deep One Village Raid missions.

That's because I have recently (well, in 2.4) disabled the synthsuits for all underwater missions. So it's a general change, not a discrepancy.

I haven't had any other such reports. Please provide a save, is possible.

I just got the same thing, on version 2.7 terror mission at Seychelles Island.

This should be fixed now.

Offline AmanitaVerna

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: November 29, 2022, 03:42:51 pm »

I just ran into this last night as well, assaulting the cyberweb fortress, on my Android phone (which doesn't do the "not responding" thing, just sits on "hidden movement" for a very long time). I got through the first three or four turns of the mission with the enemy turns taking a normal amount of time, and then after the fourth turn iirc (or on the fourth turn?) it seemed to get stuck on "hidden movement." I left my phone for 10 minutes or so and then came back but it still wasn't done at that point. However, it still wasn't completely stuck, as it turns out. I went to bed and fell asleep while waiting and when I woke up a bit less than 3 hours later, it said it was my turn again. After taking my turn, and watching it for 5 minutes or so, I fell asleep again and woke up 2 hours later, and it was done again. And so on.

I also noticed that the more of the enemy I killed, the faster it went. By turn 12 or so it was taking 5-10 minutes per turn instead of presumably an hour or two. And when there were only like 3 enemies left on the map, it was back to taking only however long it took to show them doing stuff (if I could see them). Once I had my agents actually in the fortress, things moved a lot faster (presumably because the 2/3rds of the enemy force which had been outside were all dead).

(I have OXCE 7.8, and XCF 2.7b.)

Offline SBBurzmali

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: November 29, 2022, 09:41:17 pm »
I ran into some hallway abnormalities in the Moon Tunnels mission, the one with the two turrets at the end of the hallway. I sent a couple agents up into the vents and regularly hit patches that looked like open hallways but which were blocked and darkened as if they had no light. I was still able to traverse the length of the ducts, so no major issue.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: November 29, 2022, 10:28:14 pm »
I completely forgot about an old bug in the current batch. Immediately after the beginning of the invasion, a message about the formation of the golden academy was displayed to me with an interval of several months. Nevertheless, three playing years after that, I still haven't found any golden academies. I have combed the entire globe a huge number of times in search of bases. There are no golden academies. All the mansions of the lotus were mansions, and they will remain so in the future. That was at 2.6 version, i mean.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: November 30, 2022, 12:09:58 am »
6x3% chance to spawn and 15% chance to upgrade an existing tier 3 mansion aren't exactly good odds. Didn't Vakrug raid them for loot, though?

There are also convoys, retaliations and base assaults. The convoys don't seem to be in yet, and I've yet to encounter a retaliation myself, possibly because I tend to kill them off as soon as I'm able.