aliens

Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1999519 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin
« Reply #6015 on: April 14, 2024, 01:07:56 pm »
In the early game, higher-tier cultists quite often don't get killed by a single grenade.
Fair, but in that case you were going to throw more grenades anyway. If you are relying on saving some TU from the rarer cases by not double-tapping the tougher enemies, you are courting disaster anyway. And that's the main difference between instant and non-instant from that particular balancing POV.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 01:09:33 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6016 on: April 14, 2024, 09:33:36 pm »
Because right now, I can only do the 'make 0-turn grenades' submod. But there's the argument (supported by several people chiming in and a bunch of gameplay footage) that most players might want this as the default, necessitating changes in XCF itself, and then I'd make the other submod to let those people keep their cake.

Ah, okay, I understand.

Well, it's a hard question. One idea what should be done, if anything, is forcing 0 turn on some of the "classic" grenades, like the basic black grenade. Leaving the timer (annoying or useful, doesn't matter) for more "advanced" explosives. But don't know if it's a good idea, it's just a thought.

If you have information to the contrary, or dislike 0-turn grenades and thus don't want them in the mod, do tell.

On the contrary, I like them. Just never made them.

Warning, rant incoming!

I see and understand your points, but I still disagree. Instant grenades break the flow of battle. It's hard to put into words, but they make the game worse.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: April 14, 2024, 10:30:49 pm »
Well, it's a hard question. One idea what should be done, if anything, is forcing 0 turn on some of the "classic" grenades, like the basic black grenade. Leaving the timer (annoying or useful, doesn't matter) for more "advanced" explosives. But don't know if it's a good idea, it's just a thought.

On the contrary, I like them. Just never made them.
Well, that was exactly what I had in mind. I made three versions, pick which you want (probably not the instant one :D ) and I'll post the other two separately. Or even one, if you want to include two in the XCF distribution.

I see and understand your points, but I still disagree. Instant grenades break the flow of battle. It's hard to put into words, but they make the game worse.
Can't say I understand (IMO, waiting for grenades to explode is what breaks the 'flow', if anything), but I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: April 20, 2024, 01:44:08 pm »

Is it intentional that the Syndicate Dragonfly crafts are armed? That came as a surprise to me because the x-com ones do not have weapons pods.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6019 on: April 20, 2024, 05:45:06 pm »
Is it intentional that the Syndicate Dragonfly crafts are armed? That came as a surprise to me because the x-com ones do not have weapons pods.

Yeah, the Syndicate is evil and puts weapons on a perfectly benign Toyota Hilux aircraft.

All the more reason to shoot them!