Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 2.8: The Lunar Protocol  (Read 1446431 times)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 2.8: The Lunar Protocol
« Reply #5040 on: January 29, 2023, 09:26:05 pm »

And so, without further ado, I'm really happy to announce that version 2.8 has been released.

Nice thanks a bunch man. Gonna finish a campaign I'm doing now (almost finished the second time around playing this). I'll start a new one with this new version. Again, can't express enough gratitude toward all involved (to you bro and Dioxine, others).

Offline PPQ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: January 30, 2023, 12:04:59 am »
Is it save compatible?

Offline Lone Wolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: January 30, 2023, 01:01:39 am »
Is it possible to update a campaign playing on a previous version to the newest version?  I have a campaign that I started last February that I have played intermittently over the past year and I don't want to loose my progress.  I probably know the answer to this, but do I have to start a new campaign if I want to play 2.8?   

Also, does the new MIB mission lead to the potential elimination of the faction like how you can permanently wipe out the cults and such?   

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: January 30, 2023, 01:51:43 am »
Is it save compatible?
Is it possible to update a campaign playing on a previous version to the newest version?
In theory, yes. In practice, at least your laser sniper rifles will undergo a downgrade. There might or might not be a few more similar issues, but hopefully nothing critical unless you try a really old save.

I have a campaign that I started last February that I have played intermittently over the past year and I don't want to loose my progress.  I probably know the answer to this, but do I have to start a new campaign if I want to play 2.8?   
I don't think there's a hard requirement to restart, or at least you should be able to save-edit yourself out of any technical difficulties.

Is it something like 2.3 that you were playing? What's your progress like? Were you fighting manors? These came along in 2.3 and were probably the biggest change in a long while.

You'll miss out on some rejiggering of the early game stuff, so a restart will definitely get you a few new experiences, but I don't know if it's truly enough to lose e.g. three years of progress over.

In fact, I think I saw some streamers go from 2.1 to 2.7 in one fell swoop and though they did run into some issues with non-existent missions or regions that needed save editing to overcome (not to mention figuring out once again that OXCE is a separate thing and no, 7.0 is too old :) ), it was eminently doable.

Also, does the new MIB mission lead to the potential elimination of the faction like how you can permanently wipe out the cults and such?
Not that I can tell. You do get to do a major plot-critical mission against them, but they are not getting disbanded or anything like that.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 02:17:17 am by Juku121 »

Offline Lone Wolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: January 30, 2023, 07:58:59 am »
Yes, I am on 2.3.  I'm very far in the game at this point (May 2001), I have wiped out the cults, cyberweb, syndicate, creatures, and everything in the shogg.  I'm very far along the apocalypse and UAC storylines, but less so on the undead and barely anything with the deep.  As for aliens...I have no idea.  I already did the control center for the Hybrids (I consider them wiped out at this point, though I still get missions for them), and I am barely along the MIB storyline.  I'm not sure about any others...there were a few one off missions like the Asylum, or the cruise ship or those M.A.G.M.A missions which I did, but I don't know if you can call those arcs. 

Basically, I'm pretty far along and am in the late game.  I just got lasers, guass, and sentinel craft so...I'm close to being done? 

I guess I can try updating then.  Thanks for the help!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
    • Email
« Reply #5045 on: January 30, 2023, 11:36:09 am »
Sorry. :-[ You want to move these bits to a separate topic? Or I can just spoiler these parts of my posts.

Another thread is fine. :)

I can move some posts from here, if need be.

Is it save compatible?

Is it possible to update a campaign playing on a previous version to the newest version?  I have a campaign that I started last February that I have played intermittently over the past year and I don't want to loose my progress.  I probably know the answer to this, but do I have to start a new campaign if I want to play 2.8?

Like Juku said, yes, barring the laser rifle issue (old laser rifles turning into new laser rifles which need ammo packs). I don't think there are any other exceptions.

No, and I don't think you ever will have the option.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: January 30, 2023, 12:13:08 pm »
Another thread is fine.

I can move some posts from here, if need be.
Made a new thread and cleaned up my posts. If you want to move, edit or remove some, feel free.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
    • Email
« Reply #5047 on: January 30, 2023, 12:37:42 pm »
Made a new thread and cleaned up my posts. If you want to move, edit or remove some, feel free.

It's all right, thank you.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: January 30, 2023, 02:39:59 pm »
Yes, I am on 2.3.  I'm very far in the game at this point (May 2001), I have wiped out the cults, cyberweb, syndicate, creatures, and everything in the shogg.  I'm very far along the apocalypse and UAC storylines, but less so on the undead and barely anything with the deep.  As for aliens...I have no idea.  I already did the control center for the Hybrids (I consider them wiped out at this point, though I still get missions for them), and I am barely along the MIB storyline.  I'm not sure about any others...there were a few one off missions like the Asylum, or the cruise ship or those M.A.G.M.A missions which I did, but I don't know if you can call those arcs. 

Basically, I'm pretty far along and am in the late game.  I just got lasers, guass, and sentinel craft so...I'm close to being done? 

I guess I can try updating then.  Thanks for the help!

You need to interrogate the little green people man (catch live aliens). That is the way you will progress. Well that and through research.
If you still haven't finished the other cults, you may not have caught a boss. If you have then you need to catch some high ranking aliens (medics, engineers and most importantly.. Commanders.

Once you do that you'll open up research for
Spoiler:
Lunar missions

That's all I'm gonna say for now.

Offline Lone Wolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: Today at 03:16:19 am »
Huh...never having the option to wipe out MIB never occurred to me.  My original plan was to steadily wipe out each faction one by one until only the aliens are left.  I guess that is not happening...

As for captures, yes I have captured a bunch of them, but I do need to do more.  Much more.    :)