aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071531 times)

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2445 on: June 02, 2020, 05:57:01 pm »
I think Storm and Red Dawn Storm Trade are switched up in the pedia.

Storm is in Reports. Red Dawn Storm  Trade is in Artifacts. The reverse would make more sense.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: June 02, 2020, 06:06:33 pm »
What's the point? It's unusual in real life...don't know i felt that a civilian equipped with a taser was strange, depend on the country laws if such devices may be sold to the public, whatever!
Seeing how how civ units can also equip pepper spray I don't really see the point of making a distinction here. AFAIK countries that allow pepper spray also allow tasers, both count as self-defense weapons.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2447 on: June 04, 2020, 04:06:31 pm »
I think Storm and Red Dawn Storm Trade are switched up in the pedia.

Storm is in Reports. Red Dawn Storm  Trade is in Artifacts. The reverse would make more sense.

Ha, good catch!

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: June 04, 2020, 08:02:38 pm »
Good point, I'll add this and similar stuff as a concealable.

And maybe allow us to buy and carry crosses, pls?

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: June 04, 2020, 11:27:26 pm »
Frankly I don't know what that post was about; something about M-clicking stuff in the sell screen, that's all I got from it, sorry. Meridian understood and answered, so I didn't bother. (Never even tried to M-click in that screen myself as a player.

Come on, read the post - it was about several things :P

Aside of the m-click in inventory screens, I also mention how handcuffs seem to be unable to hold anything but the weakest of enemies (though I do notice there are stronger variants of them as well now) and seem to not work on some perfectly humanoid non-human enemies and I also mentioned how armored car wrecks are very light, take very little of storage space and are found late/rare in the game, which means associated research stemming from them is also usually discovered too late to be useful.

Aside that:

I managed to research and am able to use laser weapons before E-115 research (pretty sure it was due to a mission with Men in Black who dropped some of those rifles). In fact, I finished Elerium research months after I've got myself gauss base defences and only now laser weapons at all tech is unlocked. It's fine, but if I already researched actual pieces of laser weaponry, shouldn't that unlock the theoretical tech itself?

Got a cave with shamblers in them, they seem to be stuck, completely unmoving in what appears solid rock according to the map (no ability to get there either) - visible since bughunt mode activated. Also, they're a joke to fight since the narrow corridors make it impossible for them to pass through. Since I remember reporting similar issues before, even with smaller enemies - perhaps caves could be made a bit more spacious, with more wider corridors and no isolated pockets creatures would get stuck in? Especially since average digging equipment and explosives aren't that great against terrain blocks while using them to dig out enemies that shouldn't be there in the first place strikes me as somewhat weird.

Yes, there is no way around this.
Is there really no possibility to move where items are being spawned for the squad? I wouldn't even mind moving squad itself together with them to those evac titles at the Entrance. After all, I assume the fact that in case of vehicles they spawn next to agents on vehicle evac square is not by a coincidence?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 12:08:37 pm by justaround »

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: June 05, 2020, 02:52:04 am »
Hey, it's pretty minor, but the sprite for the Small Shotgun on the battle map accidentally got changed to be the same as the regular Shotgun in this version

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2451 on: June 05, 2020, 03:26:18 pm »
And maybe allow us to buy and carry crosses, pls?

NO!

FFS, NO!

Come on, read the post - it was about several things :P

Sorry, I think I must've been very sleepy or something.

Aside of the m-click in inventory screens, I also mention how handcuffs seem to be unable to hold anything but the weakest of enemies (though I do notice there are stronger variants of them as well now) and seem to not work on some perfectly humanoid non-human enemies

Right, the script has been updated recently by Kozinsky. Further balance may be needed.

Also, tritanium cuffs exist - they're more suited for "supernatural" stuff.

and I also mentioned how armored car wrecks are very light, take very little of storage space and are found late/rare in the game, which means associated research stemming from them is also usually discovered too late to be useful.

Gotcha.

But what research? I don't think they lead to anything.

I managed to research and am able to use laser weapons before E-115 research (pretty sure it was due to a mission with Men in Black who dropped some of those rifles). In fact, I finished Elerium research months after I've got myself gauss base defences and only now laser weapons at all tech is unlocked. It's fine, but if I already researched actual pieces of laser weaponry, shouldn't that unlock the theoretical tech itself?

No, because the main problem is a potent enough battery. Basically you need a miniaturized version of the UFO Power Source.

I realize that having such batteries on hand should help, but between having to go the whole UFO Power Source route and simply researching some looted batteries, the latter option would be just too easy by itself.

I'm thinking about possibly adding an alternate energy source (other than Cydonian tech, perhaps Reptoid), which would also unlock laser clips.

Got a cave with shamblers in them, they seem to be stuck, completely unmoving in what appears solid rock according to the map (no ability to get there either) - visible since bughunt mode activated.

Wow, it's a new one. I'll check.

Also, they're a joke to fight since the narrow corridors make it impossible for them to pass through. Since I remember reporting similar issues before, even with smaller enemies - perhaps caves could be made a bit more spacious, with more wider corridors and no isolated pockets creatures would get stuck in?

I already made the caves much more spacious. I can't go too far, ir they won't be caves any more. :)

Especially since average digging equipment and explosives aren't that great against terrain blocks while using them to dig out enemies that shouldn't be there in the first place strikes me as somewhat weird.

Right, this is certainly unintended.

Especially since average digging equipment and Is there really no possibility to move where items are being spawned for the squad? I wouldn't even mind moving squad itself together with them to those evac titles at the Entrance. After all, I assume the fact that in case of vehicles they spawn next to agents on vehicle evac square is not by a coincidence?

Sorry - that part can be fixed, though I'm not sure how to do so in this particular case.

I was referring to civilians dying.

Hey, it's pretty minor, but the sprite for the Small Shotgun on the battle map accidentally got changed to be the same as the regular Shotgun in this version

It's never had any other handob :P

I should make it, people seem really bothered by this.

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: June 06, 2020, 02:44:16 am »
Didn't it used to have the pump shotgun sprite or something? Right now it has the sprite of the big long one with shotgun shells attached to the side, I'm like 89% sure it didn't before :p

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: June 06, 2020, 03:21:52 am »
Ha, good catch!
Thanks! I like helping!

Btw... I went to a mission in South America, southern Argentina or Chile I think... I got desert terrain and people who look like arabs and Bedouins.

You know, I never went there, got relatives who did. Don't remember them telling me about those guys. Sounds like a bug to me.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: June 06, 2020, 03:27:02 am »
I got a Shady Tavern mission and it had a 1/1 turn limit, no enemies other than one Westman I got as surrended/capture, and some nifty stuff. Is that WAD? Seems so.

Btw... What's up with Crop Circles/Cattle Mutilation missions with MiBs? We're told to protect the farmers in order to interrogate them, but we never interrogate any. Yeah I just sell farmers now (exhausted their research), but you know, its weird.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: June 06, 2020, 10:35:44 am »
I got a Shady Tavern mission and it had a 1/1 turn limit, no enemies other than one Westman I got as surrended/capture, and some nifty stuff. Is that WAD? Seems so.

Btw... What's up with Crop Circles/Cattle Mutilation missions with MiBs? We're told to protect the farmers in order to interrogate them, but we never interrogate any. Yeah I just sell farmers now (exhausted their research), but you know, its weird.
Shady tavern has multiple deployments/outcomes - that is one of them. Same for Crop circles.

Offline Doc

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: June 06, 2020, 01:43:59 pm »
Thanks! I like helping!

Btw... I went to a mission in South America, southern Argentina or Chile I think... I got desert terrain and people who look like arabs and Bedouins.

You know, I never went there, got relatives who did. Don't remember them telling me about those guys. Sounds like a bug to me.

The secretive Bedouin tribes inhabit all deserts, even in the American Southwest.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: June 06, 2020, 03:37:20 pm »
Just got a crash attempting the Lo Wo hideout mission:
Code: [Select]
[06-06-2020_14-36-01] [FATAL] OpenXcom has crashed: FileRecord::at(MAPS/FORESTSWAMP00.MAP): requested file not found.The map is indeed missing.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: June 06, 2020, 04:20:58 pm »
But what research? I don't think they lead to anything.
Hmm, you may be right. I mean, I am sure the corpse (wreckage) gave me some additional tech but it's possible it was just regular armored car combat analysis.

Edit: I looked around and doesn't armored car leads to mounted machine gun? Though I still don't seem to have access to those despite researching it. My humvee's were unarmed, helicopters are getting outdated and I am slowly moving into skyrangers now.

No, because the main problem is a potent enough battery. Basically you need a miniaturized version of the UFO Power Source.

I realize that having such batteries on hand should help, but between having to go the whole UFO Power Source route and simply researching some looted batteries, the latter option would be just too easy by itself.

I'm thinking about possibly adding an alternate energy source (other than Cydonian tech, perhaps Reptoid), which would also unlock laser clips.
I understand. Maybe then interrogations on MiB scientists could also lead to such theoretical research topics? After all, they have to get the inkling of how to make such kind of stuff, since I got my first non-alien laser rifles off of MiBs. And since it's still relatively strong mob one needs to catch and interrogate it wouldn't be too easy either.

As for general battery issues and getting the tech too soon, maybe it could be handled by allowing one to make weaker batteries by default (offering merely something like two shots that would make them work but much harder to employ as easily as currently) and setting up current batteries as an upgrade that'd have to be looted of MiBs if one wants to have such without researching his own? It certainly worked pretty well with regular and larger magazines for Glocks where with the former the pistols would probably be quickly forgotten, but then the latter gave them new life.

Wow, it's a new one. I'll check.
Just in case, I played around with a debug and indeed there were small pockets of space in those areas imprisoning the creatures just with no way to get to them. Also, funnily enough 10 - 30 minutes later IRL I got another cave mission, this time with giant worms and they had similar issues - one or two were stuck in inaccessible area and the rest couldn't squeeze themselves through most corridors, just sitting there stuck and waiting to be killed (though they could at least shoot back).

I already made the caves much more spacious. I can't go too far, ir they won't be caves any more. :)
Perfectly understandable. Plus, the claustrophobic areas add to the challenge. I think just widening corridors to two tiles so aforementioned shamblers and other similar creatures can squeeze through would be enough to make those caves dangerous enough without being too open - wouldn't even have to be all of those corridors either, just enough of them so the creatures can move at all and be approached.

Sorry - that part can be fixed, though I'm not sure how to do so in this particular case.
I may be mistaken, in which case feel free to correct me (and I cannot even check mapping manual right now since I get timeouts) but aren't starting locations for agents and the equipment not put on them set manually? Moving them to the same tiles entrance/evacuation tiles are would probably do it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 02:07:19 am by justaround »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: June 06, 2020, 10:52:51 pm »
Not sure if this counts as a bug, but I just had a civilian steal a sonic pistol during a Deep One sacrifice/attack. Is it possible to configure how loot picked up by civilians is treated?

EDIT:
The last paragraph of the Black Lotus rationale ufopedia entry has an unecessary space in front of it:
Code: [Select]
STR_BLACK_LOTUS_RATIONALE_UFOPEDIA: "[...]{NEWLINE} For anyone not psionically dominated by their goddess, she seems to be the lesser of two or even more evils."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:17:55 pm by krautbernd »