aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1113067 times)

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1035 on: April 08, 2018, 04:55:26 am »
A few questions:
1. Do you plan to add weather conditions (like in x-pirates)?
2. Is it possible to add explosives with a remote fuse?
3. Is it possible to add a teleportation device (as in x-com apoc)?
4. Is it possible to add stimulants that temporarily improve the combat capabilities of soldiers (accuracy, strength, etc.)?
5. Why is it impossible to evacuate from some missions (beach, ship)? So conceived or are the limitations of the game?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 08, 2018, 05:07:40 am »
Can't comment on the vision behind some of those things, but I do know some of the limitations of the game engine:
2. No, remote fuses are not possible, only proximity, timer, or instant.
3. No, teleportation isn't officially in the engine, but I've done some experiments in writing that code.  So not for a while at least.
4. Technically yes, but writing the scripts for that to work is a pain.
5. That isn't a limitation of the game, so it was Solarius' choice.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1037 on: April 08, 2018, 01:17:11 pm »
Commenting some bugs I found during the previous version, not sure if they've been fixed already.

Why not yesterday? :P

First, it seems that the Black Lotus Outpost is also bugged and has the same issue as the EXALT one. Attached a save to show that.
Second, the Osprey craft is amazing and makes the Mudranger redundant, but I don't think the Council made it advanced enough to be fully automated (attached a pic to show the bug): It can be used with no crew, funnily enough.

Right. Fixed.

Third, after researching Machinegun License, I can research UAC Craft Cannon Acquisition, but nothing happens after finishing that research path.

What, you can't but the craft cannon? Weird, you should.

Fourth, I noticed you can use the Flame Glove after a few research and finishing the "Using the Flame Glove" research path, but nothing seems to happen at first unless you check your agents' stats, moment which you see their Psi Strength score has been unlocked. Adding a science report to notify that could help IMO, but it is not mandatory.

I think it's clear enough... Maybe I'll polish it later.

Finally, I got a Croc attack mission where everyone had a buggy name and OP weapons which I'm sure they were not supposed to have.

That's not very helpful... What do you mean? What was the mission? Who had buggy names? How do you take off your panties without taking off your pants?

1. Do you plan to add weather conditions (like in x-pirates)?

I'm not, because it humans are not as sensitive to such factors as ubers. Plus certain compromises would have to be made with the engine, which is fine in Piratez (with the entire postapoc vibe), but not in 1999.

2. Is it possible to add explosives with a remote fuse?

What Otto said.

3. Is it possible to add a teleportation device (as in x-com apoc)?

What Otto said, and we're all excited about the possibility. :)

4. Is it possible to add stimulants that temporarily improve the combat capabilities of soldiers (accuracy, strength, etc.)?

Yeah, what Otto said, plus I don't like such solutions... It basically makes you spend extra time before every mission. Constant bonuses from armour are better.

5. Why is it impossible to evacuate from some missions (beach, ship)? So conceived or are the limitations of the game?

Like Otto said, it's a choice, but in some (minor) cases also laziness. ;)

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 08, 2018, 02:12:17 pm »
Тhank you for your responses. :) Maybe the weather is not needed, but you can add special conditions to some missions, such as radiation or abnormal heat or cold. For example, radiation would constantly reduce the stamina of the agent and force through each turn to use stimulants to restore it. The description of the MAGMA mission on the nuclear reactor mentions a high level of radiation. I expected that this would affect my soldiers, but nothing happened.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 08, 2018, 03:34:03 pm »
Why not yesterday? :P

UUh, what do you mean? I didn't have the time to check the update thoroughly yet.

What, you can't but the craft cannon? Weird, you should.

Well, to be fair, I didn't check if the Cannon suddenly appears in the shop, because my ships cannot use weapons nor I had a reason to do so yet. Forgot to mention that.

I think it's clear enough... Maybe I'll polish it later.

Well yeah, it's a bit sudden but it works for now. Having a report telling you that you can use that specific psionic weapon would be cool.

Too bad that so far these gadgets seem to be gimmicky and not that useful compared with a regular gun.

That's not very helpful... What do you mean? What was the mission? Who had buggy names? How do you take off your panties without taking off your pants?

I think it was already reported here: A Croc attack mission where all units are replaced by clones of Meridian the Hunter, all using Gauss weapons.

I'm not, because it humans are not as sensitive to such factors as ubers. Plus certain compromises would have to be made with the engine, which is fine in Piratez (with the entire postapoc vibe), but not in 1999.

Having the squishy soldiers of XCOM having to worry about the weather would make gameplay very frustrating. I agree this is unnecessary.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 08, 2018, 04:13:35 pm »
Тhank you for your responses. :) Maybe the weather is not needed, but you can add special conditions to some missions, such as radiation or abnormal heat or cold.

Well, there already is a number of such missions. But they don't cause damage the way it works in Piratez, instead there are armour restrictions.

For example, radiation would constantly reduce the stamina of the agent and force through each turn to use stimulants to restore it. The description of the MAGMA mission on the nuclear reactor mentions a high level of radiation. I expected that this would affect my soldiers, but nothing happened.

It's... planned. :P

Offline AxelDominatoR

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 10, 2018, 12:34:34 pm »
I have a crash after a site called "X-COM SLANDER" "Baku" appears on geoscape.

I'm attaching the savegame, in order to replicate the bug just advance the time. If I select "Centre on site" then nothing appears where the site should be. If I select Intercept and choose any craft then the game will crash.

Also attached openxcom.log file.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 11, 2018, 01:30:05 am »
I have a crash after a site called "X-COM SLANDER" "Baku" appears on geoscape.

I'm attaching the savegame, in order to replicate the bug just advance the time. If I select "Centre on site" then nothing appears where the site should be. If I select Intercept and choose any craft then the game will crash.

Also attached openxcom.log file.

@Solarius: mission duration should be at least 2 hours... if it's just 1 hour and it spawns at whole hour, it also despawns at the same moment... and things that want to work with it crash...

Offline mbox001

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 11, 2018, 01:46:33 am »
Howdy, huge fan, you've reinvigorated my childhood love for this game.

In any case,
Game seems to crash at 23:59pm on Dec 31 1999. Openxcom.log seems to have nada. Any advice? I've done a search in the forums but it hasn't returned anything.

Code: [Select]
[11-04-2018_10-44-20] [FATAL] A fatal error has occurred: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
[11-04-2018_10-44-20] [FATAL] Unfortunately, no stack trace information is available
[11-04-2018_10-44-34] [FATAL] OpenXcom has crashed: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
Extra information has been saved to openxcom.log.
If this error was unexpected, please report it to the developers.

Many thanks,

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 11, 2018, 01:52:52 am »

Offline mbox001

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 11, 2018, 02:34:32 am »
Fair point. Attached.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:13 am »
@Solarius: mission duration should be at least 2 hours... if it's just 1 hour and it spawns at whole hour, it also despawns at the same moment... and things that want to work with it crash...

Thanks, that's good to know. Will fix.

Fair point. Attached.

Sorry, I won't be able to check today, but will be back to it ASAP.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 11, 2018, 11:59:47 am »
Fair point. Attached.

Have you been manually editing your save?
If yes, what did you change?

Offline mbox001

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 12, 2018, 12:41:19 am »
Have you been manually editing your save?
If yes, what did you change?

Hm. I did modify xcomactivity for a few months at the start because I got a wee bit tired of battles.
I entirely forgot that I'd done this. Feel free not to investigate further as it's likely I've janked it myself.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 12, 2018, 09:57:21 am »
Hm. I did modify xcomactivity for a few months at the start because I got a wee bit tired of battles.
I entirely forgot that I'd done this. Feel free not to investigate further as it's likely I've janked it myself.

I knew already what was wrong... just wanted to hear it's a manual change, not a bug.

Your save is missing the following regions, that's why it's crashing:
  - type: STR_ANTARCTICA
  - type: STR_ARCTIC
  - type: STR_SIBERIA
  - type: STR_SOUTH_AMERICA
  - type: STR_SOUTH_ATLANTIC