Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1101591 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1005 on: March 29, 2018, 10:47:28 pm »
This looks to be hard-coded right now.

Not like there are any other options... left and right click are already taken.

Heck, even M-click is taken... for drag scroll, so if it doesn't work, deactivate drag scroll...

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 30, 2018, 08:29:27 am »
What is not clear in the words "do not attack?" :o Enemies do not shoot, do not bite, DO NOT KILL, even if they come close. As I said, this does not apply to all enemies. This can be checked by playing a quick battle. I'm playing OpenXcom_XFiles_0.8.7. There are no extraneous mods.
The essence of the idea is to arm cars - so that they too participate in the interception, but only for the same car cults and not UFOs. That is, we found "UFO", let's call it "truck cultists." We can send against him our car with agents 8) to "bring down" and capture. Other X-COM transports (for example, MiG) such "UFO" would simply be destroyed as happens with small scouts of aliens. Otherwise, such transport as APC or Humvee is practically useless and is needed only for rare missions. My idea is not clear or am I writing in English incorrectly? ::)
It may be worth paying more attention to capturing living aliens not only for research but also for extracting useful things from them. For example, the anti-gravity module can only be extracted from live flyers (in the case of the dead, it breaks down). This diversifies tactics and will have to choose: kill the enemy, but lose the desired object or risk and get a reward.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:47:21 am by Vangrimar1 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1007 on: March 30, 2018, 01:05:06 pm »
OK, now it's much clearer to me. ;)

Regarding the AI: it is as it is in the game, it's not a mod thing. In fact, it's already improved over vanilla OpenXCom. I don't think any features of the mod would impair the AI, especially after Otto Hartenstein taught it to use limited range weapons and added the sniper code. I am not trying to say the AI is perfect - in fact it has some glaring issues, like melee units insisting to attack only from the rear, even against reason - but it's not a mod issue.

I had some similar ideas regarding "road battles" between ground vehicles. But doing it in a convincing way is difficult. In fact, my related ideas were all deemed stupid by my reviewers...

Making capturing live enemies a requirement is generally a good idea, as long as it's not simply anal. I think it's already important enough, though. I will keep working on this.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 30, 2018, 01:30:39 pm »
What is not clear in the words "do not attack?" :o Enemies do not shoot, do not bite, DO NOT KILL, even if they come close. As I said, this does not apply to all enemies. This can be checked by playing a quick battle. I'm playing OpenXcom_XFiles_0.8.7.

I think that's a rare situation not exclusive to X-Files, it also happens in Piratez, but VERY rarely. So I wouldn't worry much about it.

The essence of the idea is to arm cars - so that they too participate in the interception, but only for the same car cults and not UFOs. That is, we found "UFO", let's call it "truck cultists." We can send against him our car with agents 8) to "bring down" and capture. Other X-COM transports (for example, MiG) such "UFO" would simply be destroyed as happens with small scouts of aliens. Otherwise, such transport as APC or Humvee is practically useless and is needed only for rare missions. My idea is not clear or am I writing in English incorrectly? ::)
It may be worth paying more attention to capturing living aliens not only for research but also for extracting useful things from them. For example, the anti-gravity module can only be extracted from live flyers (in the case of the dead, it breaks down). This diversifies tactics and will have to choose: kill the enemy, but lose the desired object or risk and get a reward.

English is not your first language, right? In any case, I get what you mean: You want Mad Max-style battles with vehicles before hunting for UFOs, right?
Not sure if it's worth it though: Early on your organization is very limited and using rented/stolen vehicles to fight cults that are glorified gangs. By the time such battles could happen, you probably have enough firepower to (try) attacking UFOs. Besides, the Hummer CAN fight UFOs (don't expect victory though) assuming it catches them. Then there's the fact that many missions require special vehicles and gear, so the Hummer and beyond are not the solution for everything.

As for having to capture more enemies, I disagree: We already have to capture enough to do anything and we don't need more IMO.
In an unrelated note, I'm disappointed that XCOM lost the capability to making laser weapons by themselves and instead you have to use knock-off alien weapons as a base. I liked from the original that human science could become so advanced without external help.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 30, 2018, 02:10:22 pm »
I get the point about the lasers. I just couldn't see how they would be possible with Earth tech level, even with some sci-fi lift - you absolutely need a revolutionary power source to make hand-held weapons. But aayout least you have pulse weapons, which are purely terrestrial.

Offline Vangrimar1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 30, 2018, 02:22:43 pm »
Unfortunately, the problem with enemy AI is not very rare and exists stably. Especially checked by creating a quick battle with Oziron. Of the 7 enemies, not one shot at me for more than 10 turns, only chaotically moved. It's very bad when a big boss with a big cannon does not shoot at you and can be slaughtered like a pig.
What is strange for a special service, such as X-COM (especially at an early stage) in an attempt to seize transport of bandits. And try to intercept the supersonic UFO with an armored car with a machine gun, is not it nonsense? I understand that the game has many limitations, but the logic should be.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 30, 2018, 03:19:13 pm »
I am not trying to say the AI is perfect - in fact it has some glaring issues, like melee units insisting to attack only from the rear, even against reason - but it's not a mod issue.

This is definitely a mod issue... don't make/mod the attack from rear so obviously better and they won't go for the rear.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 30, 2018, 04:45:36 pm »
This is definitely a mod issue... don't make/mod the attack from rear so obviously better and they won't go for the rear.

But Dioxine noticed the same thing in Piratez.

How am I supposed to make rear attacks "not obviously better"? Make rear armour the strongest? That's... well, that's stupid, and also against vanilla.
And the issue is, the AI attacks you from behind while disregarding TUs, so very often it charges you and then fails to attack, because it spends too many TUs running around your unit. This not only impairs it, but also looks pretty weird.

As for units not attacking you, I don't know what to say... Maybe you have Sneaky AI on?

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 30, 2018, 06:41:08 pm »
I get the point about the lasers. I just couldn't see how they would be possible with Earth tech level, even with some sci-fi lift - you absolutely need a revolutionary power source to make hand-held weapons. But aayout least you have pulse weapons, which are purely terrestrial.

I get it about hand-held weapons, but what about bulky ones (as in laser cannons, tanks and perhaps the man-portable biggest lasers)? These could be researched separatedly or something since with big enough models, good power-sources are somewhat more believable. They can be prototypes if necessary.

Actually, I think there's something like this already: The Ion gun or whatever it was called, they're explicitedly prototype energy guns if I recall correctly.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 30, 2018, 07:17:05 pm »
But Dioxine noticed the same thing in Piratez.

How am I supposed to make rear attacks "not obviously better"? Make rear armour the strongest? That's... well, that's stupid, and also against vanilla.
And the issue is, the AI attacks you from behind while disregarding TUs, so very often it charges you and then fails to attack, because it spends too many TUs running around your unit. This not only impairs it, but also looks pretty weird.

No, not armor strength.... melee dodge.
If AI has 30% chance to hit from the front and 70% chance to hit from the rear... well... what would you do?
I would always go for the rear...

Anyway, vanilla doesn't even have this feature, I'm quite sure it was something modders asked for... and now complain about :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 30, 2018, 08:36:59 pm »
I get it about hand-held weapons, but what about bulky ones (as in laser cannons, tanks and perhaps the man-portable biggest lasers)? These could be researched separatedly or something since with big enough models, good power-sources are somewhat more believable. They can be prototypes if necessary.

Actually, I think there's something like this already: The Ion gun or whatever it was called, they're explicitedly prototype energy guns if I recall correctly.

Yes, exactly.
I could rebuild the tech tree again, but we have to draw the line somewhere... Let's just accept it as it is. Or no game would ever be released.

No, not armor strength.... melee dodge.
If AI has 30% chance to hit from the front and 70% chance to hit from the rear... well... what would you do?
I would always go for the rear...

Anyway, vanilla doesn't even have this feature, I'm quite sure it was something modders asked for... and now complain about :)

Okay, this is informative. :) I had no idea the AI takes dodge into consideration; I thought it was vanilla behaviour.
And yes, this makes sense, but sometimes it would be better for the AI to not try and attack from the rear - basically when they can't attack at all if they spend too much TUs.

Offline Nalca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 30, 2018, 09:36:26 pm »
I can make Heavy Gauss, but i can't access it's ufopeadia page.
Didn't try (yet) if I can use it.

Didn't searched Heavy Mass Driver.

Quote from: ufopaedia_XCOMFILES.rul
  - id: STR_HEAVY_GAUSS
    type_id: 4
    section: STR_WEAPONS_AND_EQUIPMENT
    text: STR_HEAVY_GAUSS_UFOPEDIA
    listOrder: 2362
    requires:
      - STR_HEAVY_MASS_DRIVER <-- Look wrong
      - STR_GAUSS_WEAPONS

Edit : Look like the Sniper Gauss has the same problem.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:33:50 pm by Nalca »

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 30, 2018, 11:52:15 pm »
I'm afraid I bring many bad news and a few good ones.

To start, the M3 Greasegun can be bought without having to research the "'x' acquisition" topic, although you can still research it for reasons.

Second, the Gang Wars' event from the Red Dawn is still broken: Not only do they have fights in the forest, the number of enemies in higher difficulties ramps up insanely and makes it an one-way meatgrinder that exterminates all of the "civilians" (aka the other gang members) in the first turn. There were like 30+ Red Dawn Gangsters against 20 something Holligans.

Third, I swear the "Iron Pipe" research came up multiple times despite having been researched already.

Fourth, the prisons are broken again and are perfectly capable of holding a negative number of prisoners. Same case with the Animal Pens (actually, with the latter I could hold zombies and shit without having built one yet!)-

Fifth, the Xcom Psiclone still mentions mind-control abilities despite supposedly no longer being able to do so.

The good news are that prisons have become quite economically profitable at least.  :)

Attaching pics for most of the mentioned bugs.

Offline sugarran

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 31, 2018, 02:55:54 pm »
Game crash sending an Osprey to a lab mission. Perhaps is intended, but I notify it as requested:

[31-03-2018_13-20-32]   [WARN]   STR_LOBSTERMAN_AUTOPSY not found in en-US
[31-03-2018_13-28-10]   [FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Map generator encountered an error: UFO or craft (MapBlock: OSPREY) could not be placed on the map. You may try turning on 'save scumming' to work around this issue.
[31-03-2018_13-28-10]   [FATAL]   Unfortunately, no stack trace information is available
[31-03-2018_13-28-32]   [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Map generator encountered an error: UFO or craft (MapBlock: OSPREY) could not be placed on the map. You may try turning on 'save scumming' to work around this issue.
Extra information has been saved to openxcom.log.
If this error was unexpected, please report it to the developers.

Thanks for this huge work!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 31, 2018, 09:59:54 pm »
Many thanks for all the (completely deserved) bug reports!

I can make Heavy Gauss, but i can't access it's ufopeadia page.
Didn't try (yet) if I can use it.

Didn't searched Heavy Mass Driver.

Edit : Look like the Sniper Gauss has the same problem.

Indeed, something went wrong here. Fixed.

To start, the M3 Greasegun can be bought without having to research the "'x' acquisition" topic, although you can still research it for reasons.

Fixed.

Second, the Gang Wars' event from the Red Dawn is still broken: Not only do they have fights in the forest, the number of enemies in higher difficulties ramps up insanely and makes it an one-way meatgrinder that exterminates all of the "civilians" (aka the other gang members) in the first turn. There were like 30+ Red Dawn Gangsters against 20 something Holligans.

It's quite vhard to balance across all the difficulty levels and the random factor... But OK, I've increased the number of hools from 25 to 30.

Third, I swear the "Iron Pipe" research came up multiple times despite having been researched already.

Dunno lol :) Doesn't seem possible, but I've been wrong so many times before.

Fourth, the prisons are broken again and are perfectly capable of holding a negative number of prisoners. Same case with the Animal Pens (actually, with the latter I could hold zombies and shit without having built one yet!)-

I can't explain this... I'll ignore it for now, but at least I'll think about it.

Fifth, the Xcom Psiclone still mentions mind-control abilities despite supposedly no longer being able to do so.

This was already fixed, but possible after last release.

Game crash sending an Osprey to a lab mission. Perhaps is intended, but I notify it as requested:
(...)

Yeah, I know why... I guess I'll enlarge the map.