aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1112402 times)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1020 on: April 01, 2018, 01:59:37 pm »
I have some more stuff to report:

1. Amusingly enough Crossbows are considered "super-stealthy" gear, seeing that you can bring them to Beach and Ski Resort missions with no problem at all.  :) Meanwhile, the Black Ops spy-pistol, despite the mention of small size and how it is meant for undercover missions, is not, making it worse than the regular BO pistol, despite the fact that bulky Combat Knives and Dogs can be brought with no problem in these two mission types. Can you make the spy-pistol available in these two type of missions, Solarius? In-game it seems small enough to be hidden anywhere I think.

2. Scout Drones cannot use their main weapon in these two missions as well (Beach and Ski Resort ones), but they still can use their smoke launcher. Is that intentional? I suppose XCOM agents disguise it as fancy toys?

3. Not exactly a bug, but it would be good if the 'Pedia article of the aforementioned Drones said what vision range they have, as well as their night vision and thermal one, if any.

4. Since the AI Units mini-mod has been integrated with the main mod, you no longer can use HWP stuff during random Skirmish battles, but it's a minor issue.

5. Even though it's not explicitly mentioned, apparently the regular HELICOPTER vehicle you get is considered a "civilian" vehicle, making it way better than the Private Car. Is this an oversight, or intentional?

I think that's all, thanks for the hard work and everything. Playing again from the start is a bit annoying, but the new touches here and there make the experience less annoying.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1021 on: April 01, 2018, 08:22:40 pm »
1. Amusingly enough Crossbows are considered "super-stealthy" gear, seeing that you can bring them to Beach and Ski Resort missions with no problem at all.  :) Meanwhile, the Black Ops spy-pistol, despite the mention of small size and how it is meant for undercover missions, is not, making it worse than the regular BO pistol, despite the fact that bulky Combat Knives and Dogs can be brought with no problem in these two mission types. Can you make the spy-pistol available in these two type of missions, Solarius? In-game it seems small enough to be hidden anywhere I think.

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_CROSSBOW
    categories: [STR_HUMAN_TECH, STR_CROSSBOWS, STR_SPORTS, STR_BEACH, STR_UNDERWATER, STR_SPACE]

Where on Earth are you taking the info it's "super-stealthy"??? Or even "slightly-stealthy"???
It's SPORTING EQUIPMENT, ffs.
And no, a spy pistol is not a sporting equipment in this dimension.

2. Scout Drones cannot use their main weapon in these two missions as well (Beach and Ski Resort ones), but they still can use their smoke launcher. Is that intentional? I suppose XCOM agents disguise it as fancy toys?

I'll look into it... TBH I don't really understand these HWP issues well.

3. Not exactly a bug, but it would be good if the 'Pedia article of the aforementioned Drones said what vision range they have, as well as their night vision and thermal one, if any.

Yeah, I guess. I'll put it on my to-do list.

4. Since the AI Units mini-mod has been integrated with the main mod, you no longer can use HWP stuff during random Skirmish battles, but it's a minor issue.

Yeah, just like dogs.

5. Even though it's not explicitly mentioned, apparently the regular HELICOPTER vehicle you get is considered a "civilian" vehicle, making it way better than the Private Car. Is this an oversight, or intentional?

Better? It's faster and bigger, everything else is a downgrade (mostly range).

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 01, 2018, 09:20:20 pm »
To point 4 - that's because they're 'soldiers' and their type isn't present in vanilla. If you want dogs or AI units, delete battle.cfg in your save folder, then open the new battle menu, that will generate new random soldiers, including dogs and AI.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 01, 2018, 11:11:32 pm »
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_CROSSBOW
    categories: [STR_HUMAN_TECH, STR_CROSSBOWS, STR_SPORTS, STR_BEACH, STR_UNDERWATER, STR_SPACE]

Where on Earth are you taking the info it's "super-stealthy"??? Or even "slightly-stealthy"???
It's SPORTING EQUIPMENT, ffs.
And no, a spy pistol is not a sporting equipment in this dimension.

Uh, I think there's a misunderstanding. I meant that I was surprised that a crossbow was allowed to be taken in deep undercover missions like the beach and the sky resort ones, assuming it was an oversight. I didn't consider the "sporting" angle, and it definitively doesn't make sense to carry such stuff to a beach.

AS for the Spy-pistol, even if it's not sporting equipment, I thought that device was small and seemingly inconspicuous enough to be carried in said missions, hidden somewhere or even dismounted into multiple pieces.

Either way, these are just my thoughts.

To point 4 - that's because they're 'soldiers' and their type isn't present in vanilla. If you want dogs or AI units, delete battle.cfg in your save folder, then open the new battle menu, that will generate new random soldiers, including dogs and AI.

Thanks, it worked like a charm!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 02, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »
Uh, I think there's a misunderstanding. I meant that I was surprised that a crossbow was allowed to be taken in deep undercover missions like the beach and the sky resort ones, assuming it was an oversight. I didn't consider the "sporting" angle, and it definitively doesn't make sense to carry such stuff to a beach.

It's for underwater fishing. A bit of a stretch, but making a separate crossbow just for that would be superfluous.

AS for the Spy-pistol, even if it's not sporting equipment, I thought that device was small and seemingly inconspicuous enough to be carried in said missions, hidden somewhere or even dismounted into multiple pieces.

It is a little arbitrary, but hey, I'm working with what I have. :)
Otherwise you could take spypistols and similar guns everywhere, and this seems inappropriate.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 03, 2018, 06:40:15 am »
James Bond does.  But we're working with Fox Mulder.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 03, 2018, 01:54:52 pm »
James Bond does.  But we're working with Fox Mulder.

James Bond also has stats way beyond maxStats and/or special mechanics. ;)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 03, 2018, 03:20:27 pm »
In that case, the SpyPistol becomes a peashooter only useful to weaken human enemies before capture, assuming you don't have dart weaponry.

I also did my first beach mission, it was fun to go improvising and flailing around with the surf tables, but I found a possible bug: Osiron Goons don't take Morale damage from fire (at least during beach missions), or they're very resistant to it. They still burn to death though, making the Flare Gun way more useful than I had expected, seeing that it can be brought anywhere.

Another bug I found is that an Exalt Outpost in America was a plain terrain with Evil Grass, no actual building in sight, and all enemies scattered around. That would
not be an issue if it wasn't because the mod crashed after a while during the mission saying something about "missing sectors" or something. Loading a previous save to do the mission again works though.

Lastly, there's a bug with the M1 gun: It doesn't describe damage done in the 'Pedia article (although it does so in the "Stats for Nerds" section).

IMO the gun collection is entertaining, but sadly all of that goes out once you acquire Black Ops weaponry and beyond, as they're invariably better than the alternatives.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 03, 2018, 07:10:09 pm »
In that case, the SpyPistol becomes a peashooter only useful to weaken human enemies before capture, assuming you don't have dart weaponry.

I'll think of better ways to use it. (Basically missions with even stricter selection, I guess; but not beach etc.)

I also did my first beach mission, it was fun to go improvising and flailing around with the surf tables, but I found a possible bug: Osiron Goons don't take Morale damage from fire (at least during beach missions), or they're very resistant to it. They still burn to death though, making the Flare Gun way more useful than I had expected, seeing that it can be brought anywhere.

Indeed they only take 80% damage from fire (and morale damage is a direct multiplier of that), but with Bravery 70, I don't think it's that outrageous. Shouldn't make them significantly harder to panic.
(X-Com leather coats are also fire resistant in the same way.)

Another bug I found is that an Exalt Outpost in America was a plain terrain with Evil Grass, no actual building in sight, and all enemies scattered around. That would
not be an issue if it wasn't because the mod crashed after a while during the mission saying something about "missing sectors" or something. Loading a previous save to do the mission again works though.

Hmmm... I've heard of it before. It's rare, so it'll take me a while, but I'll fix it.

Lastly, there's a bug with the M1 gun: It doesn't describe damage done in the 'Pedia article (although it does so in the "Stats for Nerds" section).

It's generally borked. Should work now after I fixed it.

IMO the gun collection is entertaining, but sadly all of that goes out once you acquire Black Ops weaponry and beyond, as they're invariably better than the alternatives.

Well... They are more advanced, no way around it. It's how it should be. It just takes a while to get to them, but the show must go on.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:03:04 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 03, 2018, 07:16:52 pm »
Hmmm... I've heard of it before. It's rare, so it'll take me a while, but I'll fix it.

I had this happen on a Black Lotus base mission last night.  No base, just open terrain.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 03, 2018, 07:54:20 pm »
I'll think of better ways to use it. (Basically missions with even stricter selection, I guess; but not beach etc.)
Fair enough. It is not an essential priority though, so don't hurry it.

Indeed they only take 80% damage from fire (and morale damage is a direct bmultiplier of that), but with Bravery 70, I don't think it's that outrageous. Shouldn't make them significantly harder to panic.
(X-Com leather coats are also fire resistant in the same way.)

Oh, I see, that explains a lot. Thankfully, so far not many enemies seem to use fire... Except for the Flame Spiders that spawn in the thankfully rare "spider terror mission", which features multiple classes of these abominations even though IIRC you mentioned said special classes of critters are meant to appear much later.

Here I'm attaching a save with an example of borked Outpost. Also, I see Black Lotus and Dawn Outposts spawning over and over again for multiple months despite having done their equivalent "Operations" research.

Lastly, uploading a few pics that show text that should be adjusted to fit the screen, if possible.

Well... They are more advanced, no way around it. It's how it should be. It just takes a while to get to them, but the show must go on.

Oh, nothing bad with that, it's completely fine and understandable.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 03, 2018, 09:07:24 pm »
Oh, I see, that explains a lot. Thankfully, so far not many enemies seem to use fire... Except for the Flame Spiders that spawn in the thankfully rare "spider terror mission", which features multiple classes of these abominations even though IIRC you mentioned said special classes of critters are meant to appear much later.

This is much later. :P
(Though even later it will will be even worse.)

Here I'm attaching a save with an example of borked Outpost.

Thanks! I think I have it now.

Also, I see Black Lotus and Dawn Outposts spawning over and over again for multiple months despite having done their equivalent "Operations" research.

Outposts aren't disabled by operations, who told you that?

Lastly, uploading a few pics that show text that should be adjusted to fit the screen, if possible.

Uh, this is some old version...

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 03, 2018, 11:09:13 pm »
Outposts aren't disabled by operations, who told you that?

Uuh, the game itself? Attached some pics. Check the last lines. Usually it works or at least did during my previous playthrough several versions ago, but it's not doing so for the Black Lotus and Dawn, who keep spawning outposts despite having done the research required (not to be confused with safehouse missions, which are okay).

Uh, this is some old version...

Actually, I'm using the latest version you uploaded of your mod.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 04, 2018, 01:19:23 am »
Uuh, the game itself? Attached some pics. Check the last lines. Usually it works or at least did during my previous playthrough several versions ago, but it's not doing so for the Black Lotus and Dawn, who keep spawning outposts despite having done the research required (not to be confused with safehouse missions, which are okay).

You are right! The text is a lie, as Operations only disable safehouses.

Actually, I'm using the latest version you uploaded of your mod.

Hmmm, I might have done it after the release.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 07, 2018, 09:54:30 pm »
Commenting some bugs I found during the previous version, not sure if they've been fixed already.

First, it seems that the Black Lotus Outpost is also bugged and has the same issue as the EXALT one. Attached a save to show that.
Second, the Osprey craft is amazing and makes the Mudranger redundant, but I don't think the Council made it advanced enough to be fully automated (attached a pic to show the bug): It can be used with no crew, funnily enough.
Third, after researching Machinegun License, I can research UAC Craft Cannon Acquisition, but nothing happens after finishing that research path.

Fourth, I noticed you can use the Flame Glove after a few research and finishing the "Using the Flame Glove" research path, but nothing seems to happen at first unless you check your agents' stats, moment which you see their Psi Strength score has been unlocked. Adding a science report to notify that could help IMO, but it is not mandatory.

Finally, I got a Croc attack mission where everyone had a buggy name and OP weapons which I'm sure they were not supposed to have.