Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3678016 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.3 - 07.03 - 3 Years of Pirating
« Reply #4200 on: March 10, 2017, 09:33:20 pm »
Also the normal financing has been reduced, but that only shows if you start a new campaign. Sure you can get a lot of extra income from monthly bonus, but you need to gamble with it - save for a rainy day, or use for expensive expansions? Also there was definitely not enough money lately, making science too easily overtake manufacturing capabilities, like Legion wrote.
I'm wondering how well would go to go heavy-sci from day 1... betting on scientists to pay for themselves by generating a lot of points.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: March 10, 2017, 10:35:06 pm »
Tried that. Under new system I got to 16 scientists by second month, much earlier than before, but I might just be lucky.

(I am yet to see a strategy game be it some xcom variant, v4 or a so called grand strategy where more research isn't the optimal option most of the time)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4202 on: March 10, 2017, 10:47:56 pm »
Depends on what you mean by optimal... in many (of the better) grand strategies, zerg rush is a viable tactic too. But maybe it's not the best place to discuss it.

Offline Scorrpio

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: March 10, 2017, 10:54:44 pm »
Hmm... My research analyzer say I got about 27k points of research over 11 months, thats about 13.5 mil.   I have been fairly aggressive on brainers,  running 16 by like month 5, and I figure 13 mil was about what they cost me.  Of course if I was getting those bonuses, I could expand more aggressively. 

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: March 10, 2017, 11:00:07 pm »
Depends on what you mean by optimal... in many (of the better) grand strategies, zerg rush is a viable tactic too. But maybe it's not the best place to discuss it.
In my experience in most of the grand strategies, even the very good ones, a zerg rush is only a means to secure a better early game by knocking out the closest opponents. Unless the map format you play is quite small you can rarely sucker punch everyone. All you really change is your aggression timing, not what you do with your winnings which are just reinvested.

Offline Shizuka_Na_Ikaku

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: March 11, 2017, 05:05:49 pm »
Hi again Dioxine.

got another error

[INFO]   requested file not found: MAPS/VESSEL_AMBULANCE.MAP
[FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: MAPS/VESSEL_AMBULANCE.MAP not found

I'll let you know if i find another one.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: March 11, 2017, 08:09:14 pm »
know bug. missing file is available on last page of download link thread

Offline Shizuka_Na_Ikaku

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: March 11, 2017, 08:23:10 pm »
know bug. missing file is available on last page of download link thread

The what?.......

Oh hey there is actually multiple threads dedicated to Piratez. I had no idea........
Now i fell kind of stupid that i haven't been to the bug report thread when i found bugs.

You learn something every day.

Offline Lorskel

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: March 12, 2017, 02:18:06 pm »
That should be the fix.

Hey thanks, that did it indeed.
However, I seem to have another problem all of a sudden. Whenever I enter battlescape, the game slows down to a crawl.
It's fine in geoscape and in "screens" in battlescape (like inventory etc). Not sure if it's because of XPiratez or openXCom and what to do about it.
I've never had it happen before, as well.

Offline AngelicJoker

• Sergeant
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: March 12, 2017, 07:32:43 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the STR_KNOCK_OUT_INDICATOR option is for?  Somehow STR_KNOCK_OUT_INDICATOR_DESC isn't that useful to explain the option...  Thanks!

Offline the Ring Dang Doo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: March 12, 2017, 10:34:03 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been playing X-Piratez for months now, and though it's been amazing it's finally time to take my gals to visit the Solar Governor.  Problem is, I've hit a tech tree lull.  I've finally visited the tech tree viewer to figure it out --- I've been playing with zero hints, to get that real X-Com experience of the unknown --- but since I've never updated my version of the game I'm not sure of what I see.

I'm playing v2016-06-06.  As far as I can tell from the tech tree viewer, what I don't have is Heavy Transporter, because I don't have Higher Studies, because I don't have Magnetic Containment Field, because I don't have Reticulan Power Systems, because I don't have a Mechtoid corpse.

But to the best of my recollection I've never seen a Mechtoid, though I've shot up many a Reticulan vessel.  And so I'm not sure Mechtoids even exist in my version of the game.  In which case I have no idea what I'm missing.

Dioxine or anyone, can you confirm whether Mechtoids exist for me?

Should I just update my version of the game?  Is there no chance the save will be incompatible?

Thanks for any help!

- RDD

Offline the Ring Dang Doo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: March 13, 2017, 01:02:10 am »
OK. no sooner do I post that than Reticulans show up and I get a Mechtoid corpse.  Never mind!  hee hee

Hi guys,

I've been playing X-Piratez for months now, and though it's been amazing it's finally time to take my gals to visit the Solar Governor.  Problem is, I've hit a tech tree lull.  I've finally visited the tech tree viewer to figure it out --- I've been playing with zero hints, to get that real X-Com experience of the unknown --- but since I've never updated my version of the game I'm not sure of what I see.

I'm playing v2016-06-06.  As far as I can tell from the tech tree viewer, what I don't have is Heavy Transporter, because I don't have Higher Studies, because I don't have Magnetic Containment Field, because I don't have Reticulan Power Systems, because I don't have a Mechtoid corpse.

But to the best of my recollection I've never seen a Mechtoid, though I've shot up many a Reticulan vessel.  And so I'm not sure Mechtoids even exist in my version of the game.  In which case I have no idea what I'm missing.

Dioxine or anyone, can you confirm whether Mechtoids exist for me?

Should I just update my version of the game?  Is there no chance the save will be incompatible?

Thanks for any help!

- RDD

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: March 13, 2017, 04:54:44 am »
You did well to get a corpse. Those little bastards ought to be ruling the planet, the amount of punishment they can shrug off.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: March 13, 2017, 06:30:09 am »
Just need the right sort of weapon. They have less hp then even some human units if you can overcome the armor/resistance combo.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:46 am »
Mechtoids would be really scary if they appeared in large numbers. As it is, few whacks from a techblade do the trick after you clear out their softer allies.