aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610748 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.1 - 13 Feb - Slave Wars
« Reply #4140 on: March 01, 2017, 11:57:28 pm »
Oops sorry. I'm playing ironman, so that save is like a minute behind. I already have the moonshine in my base.

I'll just chime in here. XPirateZ is awesome, but it is still very much in development.  IronMan is really not a good idea.   Better to play it self imposed than have an unanticipated bug destroy your campaign.

Offline dessfoxx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: March 02, 2017, 12:08:16 am »
Bleh, you got me. I ordered some hands and then promptly forgot about them. Thanks for help.

Offline dessfoxx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: March 02, 2017, 12:14:37 am »
I'll just chime in here. XPirateZ is awesome, but it is still very much in development.  IronMan is really not a good idea.   Better to play it self imposed than have an unanticipated bug destroy your campaign.
Meh, I've already cleared the entire game before on ironman on an older version. Remarkably stable. Not sure how invested I am in this one either. I told myself I wasn't going to do another campaign till 1.0, but curiosity over all the new changed got the best of me.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: March 02, 2017, 04:25:47 am »
Rather than a bug there are research options that are important but possible to lose. So a normal run should be first, then Ironman/superman etc.

TBH I only did self imposed on my first run, afterwards I've been tweaking my mod files alot. Like making boarding ships the same speed as my own boarding ships.

The way I figure it is that after killing them all I get to capture their stuff as my own after all. I lose my vessels when all the gals die after all.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: March 02, 2017, 05:46:52 am »
Meh, I've already cleared the entire game before on ironman on an older version. Remarkably stable. Not sure how invested I am in this one either. I told myself I wasn't going to do another campaign till 1.0, but curiosity over all the new changed got the best of me.

While the mod is exceptionally stable ironman removes saves that might otherwise be helpful in diagnosing new bugs. Removing information and tools from the hands of those trying solve bugs is not a good practice. 

Offline Ratchet

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: March 02, 2017, 07:46:46 pm »
I registered an account for the sole purpose of telling Dioxine how much I appreciate his hard work. I saw a couple of pages back that he was getting a little frustrated.

I poured hundreds of hours into X-Com back in the 90s, and I was delighted when I saw the Open Xcom project a couple of years back -- but I wouldn't have spent anywhere near as much time with it as I have done if Dioxine hadn't made Xpiratez. It's the greatest game mod of all time, and I hope Dioxine remembers that there's lots of people rooting for him that don't necessarily register accounts to post on the forums.

That's just a big long-winded way of saying "thank you". Keep up the great work, and keep following your vision for the mod -- it's made for a lot of fun gameplay so far.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: March 03, 2017, 02:21:09 am »
I think I've suggested this before, but I thought up some more things that might be useful:

It would be fun, I think, if we could have room maintenance be based at least a little on what we know about said room, like the laboratory not being a huge drain on your funds until after you figure out how turn the mainframe on.  This would allow us to start with an even smaller amount of monthly funds.

Further, IF it's possible, having research sort of upgrade the room could be nice, like the starting laboratory only having room for 5 brainers, perhaps due to clutter, or the capacity to eventually set up a cloning facility in the surgery, or whatever.  We could have requirements of whatever items you would logically need to actually do the upgrade for you to even start these research projects.  Plugging in the mainframe is relatively easy, perhaps requiring superconducting wire, as is clearing out the built up junk, but making a cloning facility would require at least one cloning tank, making a workshop better would require an industrial scanner, and turning an old-fashioned prison into a high-tech cold storage (which might not even have a max space) would require lots of stasis pods.

On cloning, I assume it would boost healing, having suitable replacements for damaged pieces, but it could also maybe allow you to grow clones of dead gals, with minor stat damage.

And since every post here has to be about the weather for some reason  ::)  Is it possible to have the weather based on tile set instead of whole map?  Like inside a ship there should be no weather effects, though there might be environmental effects, inside normal buildings cold doesn't do anything but heat can, caves would be like ships, and ruins provide no shelter?

...These would probably all be quite a bit of work, but I hope they're good ideas possibly worth the effort.

Edit

To slightly clarify what I was thinking with the weather, the map could have marked what weathers it wants, and the specific tiles, if they had a weather that fit, would have that in them, possibly accounting for ambient light, to account for areas that have extremely different weather depending on sunlight, though that is likely to be too complicated. so desert town, daytime, would have heat outdoors, maybe lessened heat in normal buildings, and ones that reasonably would be air conditioned, would be comfortable
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:57:47 am by khade »

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: March 04, 2017, 01:57:05 am »
IMO Cloning isn't something that's good. In universe all clones are very... lacking.
It's something we see in Mutons and reticulans. All of them being very degenerated for the most part. Not full of vigor like the ubers or purehumans.

I think being able to manufacture people is already good as is. In fact I'm playing a game where I don't hire any hands, only manufacture them.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: March 04, 2017, 01:49:10 pm »
IMO Cloning isn't something that's good. In universe all clones are very... lacking.
It's something we see in Mutons and reticulans. All of them being very degenerated for the most part. Not full of vigor like the ubers or purehumans.

Maybe cecause they were intentionally made that way, so they'd be less likely to become rebelious.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4149 on: March 04, 2017, 02:05:17 pm »
Do I really need to state the obvious: a clone would have the same mental capacities as any other newborn baby.

Bad sci-fi generally handwaves it through some sort of "information upload", but that's BS. A human brain cannot be charged with information the same way a machine can, no matter your scientific progress - it's just not designed for that. You can come up with better learning methods, but it's still going to take years.

(In my mod, alien hybrids use cloned humans as agents. These clones start at 8 years old and are rather specialized; this is the bare minimum I assumed for cloned soldiers.)

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: March 04, 2017, 03:11:00 pm »
Bad sci-fi generally handwaves it through some sort of "information upload", but that's BS. A human brain cannot be charged with information the same way a machine can, no matter your scientific progress - it's just not designed for that. You can come up with better learning methods, but it's still going to take years.

Are you trying to call Johnny Mnemonic bad scifi?  Dude has an entire gigabyte jammed into his head!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: March 04, 2017, 05:03:39 pm »
Are you trying to call Johnny Mnemonic bad scifi?  Dude has an entire gigabyte jammed into his head!

Haha :) No, I didn't mean exactly this, since in Johnny Mnemonic, the information was not integrated with the individual's persona; it was just data, not a set of skills.

Still, I consider Ghost in the Shell to be good sci-fi too, even though it assumes that digital memory control is possible - which is unscientific to my best knowledge. But it's a very strong "what if", bigger than, say, interstellar travel.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4152 on: March 04, 2017, 06:39:04 pm »
Exactly, the info Johnny carried in his mind was inaccesible to him, since it was coded down in different language than his internal brain language. Learning how to harness brain to store data is plausible, while learning how to rapidly build a brain, bypassing natural processes, must be much more complex, since internal brain language is extremely hard to decode. Seems that the Star Gods have mastered that technology, but only to a degree, since their clones are, for the lack of better word, dumb (they have skillsets, but their thinking is uncreative).

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: March 04, 2017, 06:40:47 pm »
A human brain cannot be charged with information the same way a machine can, no matter your scientific progress - it's just not designed for that.

How about a brain designed for that placed in a clone body? Aliens in TFTD apparently knew how to do that with all those learning arrays in thier ships and facilites. Thanks to brain-blood barrier, it would be difficult to detect this sort of chimerism too, so  you have pretty damn good infiltrator.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: March 04, 2017, 09:15:52 pm »
How about a brain designed for that placed in a clone body? Aliens in TFTD apparently knew how to do that with all those learning arrays in thier ships and facilites. Thanks to brain-blood barrier, it would be difficult to detect this sort of chimerism too, so  you have pretty damn good infiltrator.

Yes, but if the resulting product is supposed to pass as a human, that would be quite difficult. It'd be easier to just build an android (human-looking robot) and program it with some humanlike behaviours.