Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609791 times)

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J8 - 19 Oct - Mixed Bag
« Reply #6330 on: November 05, 2018, 10:17:24 am »
So the hideout and the cutoff aren't related?

Let's erase this back and look for the developer's answer.

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: November 05, 2018, 10:24:55 am »
Let's erase this back and look for the developer's answer.
Aight, no worries, thanks man.

Great mod to the devs by the way, some real killer work. Having a lot of fun so far.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #6332 on: November 05, 2018, 03:54:47 pm »
At this point, once the Sway Government mission is complete, the nation leaves the funding pool and the enemy base is built.

This isn't a problem really, as the base provides monthly opportunities to attack their supply ships and farm lovely goodies like baby nukes and slaves.  The funding loss is negligible in the overall scheme as your general operating expenses should be covered by profitable manufacturing, ie Grog, Chemicals, etc. 

I recommend playing on and reaping the rewards.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: November 05, 2018, 06:21:44 pm »
So the hideout and the cutoff aren't related?
When you lose a country to Zero Tolerance Policy, a faction base is created in it. So they are related - but destroying the base won't get you the country back.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: November 05, 2018, 09:58:53 pm »
When you lose a country to Zero Tolerance Policy, a faction base is created in it. So they are related - but destroying the base won't get you the country back.
But not the versa - the enemy base spotted in some territory doesn't mean the country will proclaim ZTP

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6335 on: November 06, 2018, 02:41:19 am »
Hello all, no spoilers please, I just lost a territory to 'zero tolerance policy' and an enemy hideout appeared, I haven't unlocked enemy mission tracking yet so I didn't realise they were taking over, can I win it back by destroying the enemy hideout or have I lost it forever? As a perfectionist it would annoy me too much if that were the case. I know it's sort of silly but nonetheless, I'd have to reload many hours back presumably to avoid it.

Once it's gone, it's gone, that's how it is intended to work. Take the emotional hit like a man.

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: November 06, 2018, 11:36:28 am »
Once it's gone, it's gone, that's how it is intended to work. Take the emotional hit like a man.
I reloaded like 7-8 hours and made sure no courier ships landed there, still happened anyway, FML. I just don't like irreversible failure states in videogames. There's enough of that in real life. Oh well.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: November 07, 2018, 01:41:13 am »
That's how alien infiltration missions worked in original Xcom, and sway local govt missions in Piratez are pretty much an exact clone of that.  Once it starts, the only thing you can do is delay the mission's progress by shooting down the initial waves.  But the final wave will happen eventually; and when the largest UFO shows up (just showing up is enough, it doesn't even need to land), the enemy base is built and the country cuts off its funding.

Piratez does use OXCE+ though, which has recently allowed enemy missions to be completely stopped by shooting down or ground assaulting the participating enemy crafts.  I don't know if sway local govt missions can be stopped that way, it depends on the numbers that Dioxine set for that mission.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6338 on: November 07, 2018, 02:54:34 am »
It can be stopped by shooting down waves, if you're lucky. Also, "failure state"? The impact is mostly emotional. The mod is based on diminishing returns principle. If you want to be perfectionist, you need to extert disproportionately higher effort. If it wasn't so, won't people who are not perfectionists, but simply competent, come out as retards/poor players? I don't want it to be so.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: November 07, 2018, 09:14:37 am »
If you don’t want to lose the countries, you can rush the relevant technology. If you dedicate yourswelf towards this task, it can be done by... maybe september of the first year.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: November 07, 2018, 10:25:00 am »
and when the largest UFO shows up (just showing up is enough, it doesn't even need to land), the enemy base is built and the country cuts off its funding.
At the 75-80% progress of the game I had 7 or 8 enemy bases through the map and only one country ZTP'ded me (at 20% progress, so far before).
I guess there are two or three separate mechanisms of enemy bases emersion.
Had countless waves though. Maybe I was good at the end-month scores?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:32:26 pm by Abyss »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: November 07, 2018, 04:24:57 pm »
I reloaded like 7-8 hours and made sure no courier ships landed there, still happened anyway, FML. I just don't like irreversible failure states in videogames. There's enough of that in real life. Oh well.
To the countrary, Id consider Piratez campaign without any significant losses an "imperfect" one. During last run I regularly lost veterans to dumb random stuff, and it grew to be way more fun and complete experience.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: November 07, 2018, 05:07:28 pm »
Losing a country and letting enemy base exist might be worth it as it lets you farm supply ships. Of course it depends on what is building the base and in which biome. Academy on desert or other open plain is piss easy to farm if your menace class lands in good position that lets you snipe the goons from the roof without having to worry about geting nuked from the front. (holosuits are especially good for this)

Offline Chromeo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: November 07, 2018, 07:35:37 pm »
It can be stopped by shooting down waves, if you're lucky. Also, "failure state"? The impact is mostly emotional. The mod is based on diminishing returns principle. If you want to be perfectionist, you need to extert disproportionately higher effort. If it wasn't so, won't people who are not perfectionists, but simply competent, come out as retards/poor players? I don't want it to be so.
I suppose. Still I was only asking a question, there's no need to be rude. I'm just trying to have fun the same as everyone else.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: November 07, 2018, 07:59:54 pm »
Iirc its just the vanilla Xcom rules - once the Alien Infiltration (Zero Tolerance for XPiratez) mission is generated one of the region countries is gone from funding at the end of the month, and hostile faction base spawns there.
Being able to interrupt those is relatively recent addition, and is implemented as a %chance to deny the mission whenever any of mission UFOs are shot down.
At least thats how I get it, and I do take a long breaks from following all the development.

I suppose. Still I was only asking a question, there's no need to be rude. I'm just trying to have fun the same as everyone else.
Please, do not take offence, its just that whenever any project goes wide there will always be haters (it just happens), and creators have no choice but to sharpen the edges to stay sane. Do not take it personally.