Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3688819 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J8 - 19 Oct - Mixed Bag
« Reply #6255 on: October 26, 2018, 06:07:50 am »

I see your point. Can I consider it a legal cheat?
Morale nerfs of course will make it more restricted-usage weapon, but in the other hand - why indeed would it be a Star-God-battering-weapon? Is it a technology that surpasses Star God magic? Is it unknown to them?
What is the history of that weapon? Should be there some blood magic lock that makes it useless until the specific research?

That part of the game does not exist yet.

From the player point of view it looks like: in the serious base mid-game defense you have to equip 15-25 dogs with activated explosive satchels (e.g. marsec strike or mercenaries strike with plasma/gauss weapons).

Well not really... some players play like this, but other try devising more effective tactics... The idea is that by the point you get the Impaler, this is no longer relevant.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: October 26, 2018, 07:23:38 am »
Well impalers start showing up after you unlock the well wisher's 3rd message, and they seem to be some kind of anti star god entity.  So it would make sense that they would give you stuff that works against star gods.  Anyways they seem fine to me as an end game stun weapon that doesn't require a specific codex or anything, especially since some stuff requires star god parts to manufacture.

Offline Hadza

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: October 26, 2018, 08:22:23 am »
I don't see impaler as being too op tbf, especially considering that I've got none in my campaign (still got about 10 heat rays, 2 herders and 0 dragons) in my playthrough where I specifically rushed the third message (it's because I've seen it in that dream, I swear).

On the other hand, are buggies supposed to cast voodoo through walls?

Offline silencer_pl

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: October 26, 2018, 09:15:13 am »
Well impalers start showing up after you unlock the well wisher's 3rd message, and they seem to be some kind of anti star god entity.  So it would make sense that they would give you stuff that works against star gods.  Anyways they seem fine to me as an end game stun weapon that doesn't require a specific codex or anything, especially since some stuff requires star god parts to manufacture.

Do they? I had Strange Message 3 unlocked for quite a while,  and yet I don't have a single impaler.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: October 26, 2018, 12:27:49 pm »
Do they? I had Strange Message 3 unlocked for quite a while,  and yet I don't have a single impaler.

Yeah they can be found in the pink ships, but it's all RNG dependent so it's not guaranteed that you'll find any.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: October 26, 2018, 12:59:17 pm »
Shouldn’t UAC BFG be considered a legal cheat too? You can get it way earlier than the Impaler and if you rush certain very usefull techs it is possible to massproduce the batteries by first quarter of the second year. I only ever saw the very toughest of foes (zombie troopers, cyclopes etc.) survive a hit.

And what about baby nukes? You can fill all your baby nuke needs forever the moment one of the weaker factions (academy, certaon guild crew compositions) builds a base.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: October 26, 2018, 03:04:05 pm »
Well impalers start showing up after you unlock the well wisher's 3rd message

Note that first impalers are coming from the mysterious tower missions, far before the pink ship

swarm
Shouldn’t UAC BFG be considered a legal cheat too? And baby nukes...
See, you either don't understand my point or just troll me.
Presuming first: The balance of firepower, side effects and required ammo for BFG and nuke mortars from the basic supply ships are totally understandable.

There is no point in nerfing for those who abuses savegames: Impaler is just a perfect weapon for a fast win. That's more storymode with a seemblance of tactic game. But for me and others who play with IM or the honor system there is a balance crack. E.g. hard turn-calculating before and no more brain strain after.

Well not really... some players play like this, but other try devising more effective tactics... The idea is that by the point you get the Impaler, this is no longer relevant.
Well there's not much you can do with the base defence in the early-midgame in ironman vs mercs where a single merc can eliminate a whole team of gals.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:25:35 pm by Abyss »

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: October 26, 2018, 04:09:40 pm »
Note that first impalers are coming from the mysterious tower missions, far before the pink ship

That doesn't sound right at all.  I'll have to take your word on that one though since I've never seen one drop there.  Although I haven't seen an impaler drop for like 4 games in a row so I'm not in a position to say for sure heh.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: October 26, 2018, 04:58:38 pm »
You can always choose not to use certain weapons. If impalers or BFGs or XG series railguns or whatever make it too easy, just don’t use them.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6264 on: October 26, 2018, 05:16:37 pm »

There is like 1% chance of finding an Impaler there... Good luck :)
You just got extremely lucky.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:18:37 pm by Dioxine »

Offline FG

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: October 26, 2018, 05:21:34 pm »
I think the core idea behind tons of weapons is you can play it any way you like. There's no such thing as Balance. In terms of gameplay, "Balance" doesn't based on pure math.
The most important questions here: "Was it fun" and "Is it worth my time"?  :)

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J8 - 19 Oct - Mixed Bag
« Reply #6266 on: October 26, 2018, 05:43:06 pm »
oh nooo, dont touch Impaler, please! :o :( ;( :(( :/ :/(

https://www.google.com/search?q=sad+kitty

hehe

(for this, (unwanted changes), i rather keep´ing (almost) all versions of Piratez 8) lôl )
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:27:21 pm by LytaRyta »

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: October 27, 2018, 02:13:14 am »
Game statistics:
J3/J4: 7-9 MT missions - got 2 or 3 impalers
J6: 6-7 MT missions - got 2 impalers
J7 IM: 2 MT missions (btw these missions seriously lag in this version) - 1 impaler. +3 from PSoL. 

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: October 27, 2018, 02:43:27 am »
I'm kind of doubting that, you're way into the unbelievable range of drops for those.  Unless you're save scumming like crazy or some mod you're using is modifying the loot drops.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: October 27, 2018, 03:01:00 am »
Where do BFGs come from?  Because I've never ever seen one outside of Quick Battle.