Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3687349 times)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J8 - 19 Oct - Mixed Bag
« Reply #6225 on: October 23, 2018, 05:11:09 pm »
Anti jewish pogroms were also mostly done for money. You see, christians don’t look kindly on moneylending but judaism has no such taboo, so european jews were naturally pushed towards banking. And when somebody sufficiently important couldn’t pay his debts it was pogrom time... (of course there were also pogroms for due to racism, religious animosity and even the fact that noblemen employed jawish tax collectors)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: October 23, 2018, 06:46:13 pm »
Also the general need for a scapegoats.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6227 on: October 23, 2018, 07:14:41 pm »
Stop it already with the "pogrom = Jews" brainbug. Many other ethnic groups suffered the same, most notably Armenians (from Turks) and Chinese (from the Japanese).
A pogrom is a pogrom, it is not related to any particular historical events. Just drop this nonsense already.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:54:55 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6228 on: October 23, 2018, 07:54:22 pm »
The thought was, that the Pogrom semantics lead us mostly to the anti-jewish insurrections throughout the history. That could be sensitive.

Read up the etymology of the word before you start behaving like Bibi. TLDR: No Jews own that word.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: October 23, 2018, 09:12:49 pm »
Read up the etymology of the word before you start behaving like Bibi. TLDR: No Jews own that word.
I am Russian and I believe this word has russian origins. I suppose I knew the ethymology before I had to ask that question. I am not a Jew too.
So here's the thought, no offence, I just wanted to know if it applies to the subject or not.
Please forgive my lack of... whatever it is. We are all here delighted with what you do (X-Piratez).

EDIT: In modern Russian "Pogrom" is a rarity with major sense linked to anti-Jewish actions.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 09:23:26 pm by Abyss »

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99J8 - 19 Oct - Mixed Bag
« Reply #6230 on: October 23, 2018, 10:13:08 pm »
I guess it's not like that, so whole country linked it to something, but some "kind" of people in general. In Poland word "Holocaust" changed meaning in "casual" language to slaughter of Jews and only that. Everyone I speaked with about that topic was "angry" when "Holocaust" was used when describing anything besides World War II and mass murder of Jews.

But this isn't a topic, or even forum to talk about that. There is no conspiracy, nobody is favoured, or secretly frowned upon. It's about "cool" post apocaliptic earth with alien overlords, how humans live in this world and how our band of Ubers that escaped imprisonment will deal with it.
At this point I'm only waiting for cyborgs on both sides just to place X-Piratez higher in "coolness" than C&C tiberium sun/firestorm universe.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6231 on: October 23, 2018, 11:03:44 pm »
I never meant to chastitize you, Abyss. Pogrom afaik comes from the slavic word for thunder, and is generally associated with slaughter. Any similarity with Jew Pogroms is of course fully intentional as well, as we have people getting ethnically cleansed in either case, so it seemed the most fitting description.

And when we're at it, I recall that holocaust (not "H"olocaust) means burnt sacrifice in some ancient language, forgot which.

And if something/someone in the lore is frowned upon, it is not in secret but written in open text. Stories just need to have morals, but art should keep away from any political activism.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:05:48 pm by Dioxine »

Offline silencer_pl

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: October 23, 2018, 11:51:18 pm »
Are piloted tanks suppose to report "Not enough energy" while having like full bar of energy? I'm using Tank *H-Lascannon. After firing 3 round of auto laser the tank reports that message despite having lots of energy. I can't even also fire the Heavy Laser.  I can fire on next turn though.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:55:37 pm by silencer_pl »

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: October 24, 2018, 01:09:47 am »
Are piloted tanks suppose to report "Not enough energy" while having like full bar of energy? I'm using Tank *H-Lascannon. After firing 3 round of auto laser the tank reports that message despite having lots of energy. I can't even also fire the Heavy Laser.  I can fire on next turn though.

That is what supposed to happen after two or three shots.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #6234 on: October 24, 2018, 07:21:27 am »
Dioxine, the word pogrom is in fact Russian, according the Wikipedia.

First recorded in 1882, the Russian word pogrom (погро́м, pronounced [pɐˈgrom]) is derived from the common prefix po- and the verb gromit' (громи́ть, pronounced [grɐˈmʲitʲ]) meaning "to destroy, to wreak havoc, to demolish violently". Its literal translation is "to harm".[10] The noun "pogrom", which has a relatively short history, is used in English and many other languages as a loanword, possibly borrowed from Yiddish (where the word takes the form פאָגראָם).[11] Its widespread circulation in today's world began with the anti-Semitic excesses in the Russian Empire in 1881–1883.

And while I can't say for other languages utilizing, or the English use in other countries, but in the US it is very tightly associated with the Russian government's violence against Jewish communities from that time, even if the same kinds of actions have been taken by so many other groups throughout the world and across time, against practically every other group to have ever existed.

And I wasn't sure about the language holocaust had come from either, but found it was Greek. Other than that, exactly correct that it means burnt sacrifice.

The term holocaust comes from the Greek ὁλόκαυστος holókaustos: hólos, "whole" and kaustós, "burnt offering".[11][f] The Century Dictionary defined it in 1904 as "a sacrifice or offering entirely consumed by fire, in use among the Jews and some pagan nations".

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: October 24, 2018, 09:22:06 am »
I'm using XG Assault now, just for fun.
Question: Is the bullet animation supposed to be slow versus the XG Sniper, which is fast,  or normal like everything else?
(I haven't tried the other XG guns, thought)

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: October 24, 2018, 01:02:56 pm »

There was a very correct point from Dioxine that art should be kept away from the all political activity, thus coming true art for ages.
As for me, suddenly I realized that the beautiful word Pogrom (it is, indeed, has aestetics) had been privatized by Jews, as well as the word Holocaust. This is not intended to be discussed here, in the game forum.
So from now on I am purely on the Dioxine's side, telling you that no Ethnical group, nor some kind of minority has no right to tie the words with former opression being held on them.
EDIT: In case if major sense of the word dramatically changes from initial

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:06:30 pm by Abyss »

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: October 24, 2018, 01:42:52 pm »
Well this is obviously not related to Russian jews (or any other jews for that matter) so this discussion is essentially pointless.  If someone is butthurt over a video game that's their problem.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #6238 on: October 24, 2018, 03:15:21 pm »
Are piloted tanks suppose to report "Not enough energy" while having like full bar of energy?

Yes, and their energy bar is hardly full when it is nearly depleted. Just the GUI is only showing the last 140 units. This mechanics, to explain, is meant to differentiate "gun time" from "tank time". Note that with 700 or 800 Energy, energy used for moving is minor (while time used is as normal). So a gun has a low limit on ROF imposed by Energy pool, and a high limit imposed by TU pool.

You did not dig deep enough. Gromit' comes from grom, which is thunder. And it is not unique to Russian language, is the same in Polish, has deeper slavic roots. While Wikipedia is very useful, one should not take it as the ultimate source of knowledge.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:19:12 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: October 24, 2018, 04:01:34 pm »
There was a very correct point from Dioxine that art should be kept away from the all political activity, thus coming true art for ages.

What? Art is always a bit political because humans are political creatures. When you want purely apolitical art you have to look at bowerbirds.