Author Topic: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!  (Read 304649 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!
« Reply #675 on: November 17, 2020, 06:15:43 pm »
And as of enemies, I've been wondering what do you consider in need of update the most.

Frankly, none that I can think of. I'm pretty much content with all enemies in-game, and I have a lot more prepared for introduction (I just try to be realistic - I don't dream up enemies which I cannot produce, since there is nobody who can help me with this). But it doesn't mean that if someone proposed superior or improved design, I would disagree.

Technocracy: It has far more units, but they're not introduced yet because not needed.

Magic vs. technology: Lmao. "Magic" and ultratech is one and the same.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 06:18:11 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Malekh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 17, 2020, 11:08:12 pm »
Throwing out a mission concept:

!Gnomes und Pantzu...err...!

Overview: Bunch of armored (read 'in Combat Units') Gnomes vs bunch of armored vehicles.

Mission Intro: (something along the lines of: ) Our Gnomes informed us of an upcoming slumber (or was it thunder?) party. They plan to get together with their peers and discuss about the superiority of their vehicle designs. Sounds awfully academical and boring so hardly anyone is interested in attending (The brainers, who were, seem to have an absolutely horrible hangover today and seem to have blacked out in random boxes around the hideout). Anyway, if we want we can send some Gals along, the Gnomes even offered to share some homemade beverages during the trip. Party time?

Participating units: Gnomes only, everyone else gets boxed/is not allowed in mission. (Non-piloted vehicles might be also allowed).

Armor: All piloted vehicles Gnomes can pilot (AC, (Hover) Tanks, Bombards, Gyros, Mechas and XEC's. Not sure about Mechas and XEC's - might be too powerful. Then again, I'm not suggesting the mission for big rewards, but rather for new and hopefully unique game-play feeling, so I don't really see a reason to limit them).

Enemies: (Hover) Tanks, AC's, Cyberdiscs and other similar 2x2 units

Vehicles: Basically anything that can carry at least 1 2x2 unit (heck, Zeppelins should love this mission).

Map: I mostly see the mission happening in large (empty) deserts or medium sized (cluttered with destructible stuff) urban/jungle/forest areas. or basically anything that gives easy access to 2x2 units.

Rewards: Nothing big, maybe some dolaro chips/booze/slaves or 'Gnomey' items.

Risks: Either minimal (assuming they use paint/chalk munitions and non-lethal lasers) - no units/vehicles lost in mission even if 'killed'/mission lost (the rewards should also be minimal -  mission mostly for fun). Or standard (you keep all killed bodies/wrecks in addition to some 'Prize' for the event - They are certainly crazy enough to use real munitions in their 'games'. Losses are also standard). Either way infamy gains should be zero or near-zero as they are a rather secretive bunch.

Tech: Obviously Recruiting Gnomes and either Tanks or AC's (maybe something more?)

(Occurring frequency: Once a year? Maybe twice, to celebrate some-sort of global Gnome birthday party or something?)

Will it enrich/advance the storyline? Not sure... could be nice background addition to Gnomes. Maybe I could/should write an accompanying  Gnome Tome/data entry about slumber/pantzu party?

Edit: Ooh... and would be kind of fitting if the background music could be an instrumental synthesizer version of Katyusha (or the refrain parts of it).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:11:57 pm by Malekh »

Offline gijoe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 17, 2020, 11:08:44 pm »
Magic vs. technology: Lmao. "Magic" and ultratech is one and the same.

Actually, mine was just an example, nice'd to have some more alternatives

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #678 on: November 18, 2020, 12:58:21 am »
Throwing out a mission concept:

!Gnomes und Pantzu...err...!

I love the idea... and also I came up with a gnome-only puzzle mission you need to complete to get access to this one. However, if someone submits some sort of cute tank that can be used as enemy in the proposed mission (chibi Sherman or really, whatever looks nice enough), that will drastically improve the chances of it happening :)

Offline EryliaStarheart

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 18, 2020, 02:45:10 am »
I don't dream up enemies which I cannot produce

Animation is a bitch, but sometimes frame-saving measures, particularly on arms and legs, can result in actual interesting enemy designs. For instance, there's a possibility for assorted high ranking folks on small hovering devices (Punks on hoverboards, Church leaders on floating dais, Guild bosses in flying executive chairs), as well as creatures whose movement frames involve burrowing (small stone vibration animation copypasted for all directions, body only drawn on "legs stand still" frames), or moving a dimensional portal around. I can whip out a few concepts or take requests once I'm done with this thing. Can't promise to become a constant contributor due to life circumstances, but I will try to send more stuff as I'm very interested in the progress of this mod and glad to see a framework modular enough to accept contributions. Just need to figure out how to split/reassemble four tile units without it being a huge pain in the ass - I tried to fix up the limp in the mech suit unit (the yellow one) and messed up.

For anyone else reading this topic: You've heard the man, he needs any potential skills you might have. Pixel art isn't hard, literally anyone can make something worth of contribution. Take a sprite sheet for the troublesome parts such as legs from another game, the bulk of the model is in the torso. Here's what I'm doing right now:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:47:40 am by EryliaStarheart »

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Forward scout report
« Reply #680 on: November 24, 2020, 09:59:25 am »
In case it's possible or not implemented already:

Thought it would be worthwhile to gradually populate the briefing screen with some kind of enemy composition and numbers, to allow for better preparation during soldier equip phase. Separate from Hyper-Wave, a rough estimate spotted by the pilots during approach. It would serve realism, immersion, and not to mention avoid going back to that 1x1 equipment dump tile as soon non-standard enemy is encountered. Only way to avoid this hassle is always having counters to all possible situations, but that leaves far less room for standard stuff (creating far more hassle). Idea sounds great my head while I'm ironing out the details (degree of accuracy depends on previous research, being purposely misleading with camo units present until camo is researched, stuff like that) but the main question is can it even be done?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 01, 2020, 09:38:55 pm »
THE BIG STORE
=============

Like an Exquisite Mansion but you need Stealth stuff to break in
(Ninja, Ghost, or Rags, not typical infiltration).

This is an enormous Warehouse, its all indoors with several floors of empty air before you hit the roof.
Likely a Trader's Guild thing. You shoot or break boxes and you find things.

It might be possible to kill or subdue/surrender everyone - but it can be more of a pac-man ghost run with Tanks and Marsec chasing you around so that its just a literal shopping spree. The pest exterminator guys will be interesting since they can fly.

Inspired by willy wonka and the chocolate factory, the bio-dome, and the area 51 warehouse from indiana jones with the ark.

Offline Malekh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 03, 2020, 11:07:10 am »
I love the idea... and also I came up with a gnome-only puzzle mission you need to complete to get access to this one. However, if someone submits some sort of cute tank that can be used as enemy in the proposed mission (chibi Sherman or really, whatever looks nice enough), that will drastically improve the chances of it happening :)

Glad you like it, penned down a bit of an adaption from it:

Mission Intro: Hey, one of our gnomes gave us an invite to an upcoming slumber-party (Or as she called it, Pantzu party). The gals are itching to go and have spent the last few days picking their best nightgarments (the gnomes insist on going fully armored though, I wonder why?). Time for party will be somewhere next month!

Outro text/Research debrief for whatever is found: So, umm... you know... , when the Gnome came up and asked "Wanna join our upcoming party? Pantzu...arr party is going to take place next month." So... I... kind of assumed that she was trying to blend in by using our jargon. However it seems that that "arr" had an entirely different meaning. I blame semantics and other voodoo. Anyway (add there the description of whats found/ how story progresses).

Participating units: Add gals in nightgrown armor to the list (Time for them to get the civilian experience - run around frantically, trying to find something to hide behind while munitions the size of their head are flying around). (also no weapons/explosives - the vehicles carry their own, munitions ok).

As for cute tanks, I know Epic 40k Final Liberation has a ton of imperial/Orky vehicle sprites that could be used as ideas/conversion basis (I think the bombard looks like something out of it, I might be off though).

Offline ZoA

• Captain
  • Please don't go. The drones need you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 09, 2020, 12:13:51 am »
Discussion about night combat in little questions tread gave me an idea that I'm not sure is technically feasible, as in if it is supported by openXcom engine, but here I'll leave it just in case it is, or someone can concoct some workaround.

Basically idea is that using or even just holding certain types of weapons produces light source. For example discharging a gun creates light source in square it is fired form, and that light source last only one round, basically imitating gun flash or whatever is equivalent for energy weapons. How much light is created and for how long could depend on weapon used and ammunition used. For example something like a crossbow, knife, javelin or suppressed pistol would generate no light either when carried or used. Machine-gun could generate more lite when fired full auto then when use in aimed or snap shot, and that light would last for only 1 round, and things like flame arrows in hunting bow, flamethrowers and plasma daggers could generate constant slight light similarly how personal computer does right now.

Idea of this design is to force players to pick their equipment for night battle more carefully, give advantage to more primitive weapons during night combat, as well as to punish both players and enemies that use long range sniping tactic from darkens during night combat.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #684 on: December 09, 2020, 04:06:25 am »
Well this would be quite great (muzzle flashes), even if a very blunt tool (darkness in Xcom is binary, so most guns would simply be massively disadvantaged compared to others), but I don't think it is possible to do in any way.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 09, 2020, 04:33:55 am »
Meridian stated somewhere that changing base dimensions is a no-go forever. But I just had a shower thought. Going in X and Y direction is so early '90s and two-dimensional. What about digging down a level? Technically feasible in OXCE? New buildings keep piling up and with them so are compromises.

It would come at a huge price to unlock 2nd level, maybe gated behind building all 8 bases first or something (to allow space for basic UI multi-level support), and mid-game related research (Industrial Tools and stuff like that, new ones too). Some restrictions could apply like radar being on top level as well as hangars (duh), bottom lift must be at same coordinate, that sort of stuff.

Someone pull his ass off HoMM3! (not stalkin... search engine gave me his videos as solution to two particular problems already :p)

Offline EryliaStarheart

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 17, 2020, 06:13:20 pm »
I'm not gone anywhere and am in fact doing another armor. The previously posted one is postponed due to leg animations coming out wonky, this one has walk cycle fully operational and arms almost done (not in picture yet) so likely to be finished first. Concept basically includes Doc Ock style back-mounted servos with either weapons or blades and visible cabling to helmet to allow for neuralink teleoperation. Also considered shoulder cannons, massive jetpack, or any other back-mounted gear, as well as recoloring it red/black to match Skullstrider (aiming to make a cohesive line of endgame-viable suits for various soldier types, eventually). Can adjust as requested, based on what soldier type, stat loadout or gimmick the devs consider the basic shape most appropriate for.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 06:36:35 pm by EryliaStarheart »

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 17, 2020, 10:40:22 pm »
^^ that skulls guy just seems to me like yautja (predator)  :D

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 17, 2020, 11:26:24 pm »
Armored, flying, tamed werewolf. What's there not to like.

Offline ZoA

• Captain
  • Please don't go. The drones need you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 19, 2020, 09:38:34 am »
We already have multiple condemnations that reward focus on specific weapon or weapons types, but have no condemnation that reward diverse weapon usage. Thus I'd like to propose new condemnation:

Eclectic Warrior

to attain N rank in this condemnation you have to have N number of kills/stuns with 3xN number of weapons. So for rank 1 gal has to have 3 different weapon with ad least 1 kill, and to attain rank 10 she has to have 30 weapons with 10 kills with each weapon.

Benefit could be something like +1 to Marksmanship, Trowing and Melee per rank, or whatever else Dioxin finds balanced.