aliens

Author Topic: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!  (Read 304999 times)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Re: Stuff I'd love to see in XPiratez!
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2018, 11:57:33 pm »
And where do you live ? Under the rock?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2018, 12:03:00 am »
It was request for new feature, and it has nothing to do with bitching about the original xcom quirks.

Modders can't add new features, you'll need to ask devs for that.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2018, 12:47:54 am »
@Vansi,
Thank you for supporting. Why don`t you join us on discord-chat?
Just type "discord" into the search section und you will find us all.

You will find out, that in the chat many things get better communicated. Give it a try!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2018, 02:28:06 am »
Why there is ANAL button?

To appease those who were bitching for a bigger disclosure. However appeasement has its limits, as Britain's Chamberlain should have found out. Also, it is a great debug tool.

And Vikings weren't pirates, despite what name suggest. They were raiders.

Maybe the gals are raiders too, despite what name suggests. This is a Science Fiction game after all, not a reenactment of any historical period.

Why there is diary of every gal, that allows to track every mission in the game?

What the diary, of all things, has to do with it? It is just a record of deeds past, not tactical info feed.

Since scores in order of 30k or 40k were not possible in OG,

Completely possible. Just wait for 5 or 10 alien bases to appear and milk them.

I am assuming  that you have greatly expanded list of events that cause gain/loss of points.

Your assumption might be right or wrong depending what you assume. New events? Sure, tons of them, like many types of "terror missions". New kinds of events? No.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:35:14 am by Dioxine »

Offline Vansi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2018, 02:44:13 am »
Modders can't add new features, you'll need to ask devs for that.

Well, Dioxine's response suggested, that he is entirely capable of adding such a feature.   

@Vansi,
Thank you for supporting. Why don`t you join us on discord-chat?
Just type "discord" into the search section und you will find us all.

You will find out, that in the chat many things get better communicated. Give it a try!

Thank you for invitation, but I have to respectfully decline. First, my spoken english is rather bad. Second, Discord is a spyware that is recording every voice & text chat, and it is sucking every bit of information from your computer, all this in order to sell it to
highest bidder. My contribution will be limited to the forum only.     

More info about Discord  https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

And it is shame, that on Piratez forum there is no "General Disscusion" thread.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:51:17 am by Vansi »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2018, 10:01:54 am »
Thank you for invitation, but I have to respectfully decline. First, my spoken english is rather bad.

We don't use voice on discord, just chat.

And it is shame, that on Piratez forum there is no "General Disscusion" thread.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2018, 08:57:01 am »
How hard is to implement the disassembly of some combat units such as tanks?

EDIT. Update:
Spoiler:
In version 0.99J7 lots of vehicles (cars and tanks) are manned mostly by peasants or slaves, as "trappings".
Finally a unit can be disassembled and reassembled with other features, like a different turret and such.

Yet some other vehicles remain unmanned, like my favorite: The Howitzer Tank. In this recent version, the aux machine gun was without ammo. Do I need to load MG ammo crates in the craft when using this tank ?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:54:00 pm by Alex_D »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2018, 12:54:00 pm »
Yet some other vehicles remain unmanned, like my favorite: The Howitzer Tank. In this recent version, the aux machine gun was without ammo. Do I need to load MG ammo crates in the craft when using this tank ?

It is a transitory phase, as most vehicles will be eventually converted. The machinegun currently doesn't work.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2018, 10:49:28 pm »
It is a transitory phase, as most vehicles will be eventually converted. The machinegun currently doesn't work.

Thanks! That's what I figured it out they are not done yet. I imagine the round of the Howitzer tank would be similar to the heavy mortar. And it would be a pack of mortar rounds as the source ammo. Can these packs (this one or the MGs) be assembled or disassembled from/into their hand held versions?

I like the current approach of using soldier armors as tanks. Yet some unmanned disposable options (other than critters) would be nice to have at the end, especially for backwater bases. Maybe I'm not that advanced in my research to see all of them.

Something I noted was the Car or Tank armors don't increase the HP of the wearer. And if the unit is injured the soldier is out until recovered. I would imagine some increase is feasible. Mostly to account for some hand weapons that can ignore some armor, which is a mechanic I believe intended to affect soldiers body armor, not these vehicles (think thickness or density). Is it intentional to be that way?

The game mechanics appear to use the soldier's original energy (?) to compute the number of shots the unit can fire. It's very often I shot a couple of times and then the energy is out while there is plenty of TUs left. I use said unit as minelayer, drop previously active choke/stun grenades, or so.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2018, 11:16:38 pm »
Something I noted was the Car or Tank armors don't increase the HP of the wearer. And if the unit is injured the soldier is out until recovered. I would imagine some increase is feasible. Mostly to account for some hand weapons that can ignore some armor, which is a mechanic I believe intended to affect soldiers body armor, not these vehicles (think thickness or density). Is it intentional to be that way?

Of course it's intentional. The complete overhaul of tank resistances was due to this.

The game mechanics appear to use the soldier's original energy (?) to compute the number of shots the unit can fire. It's very often I shot a couple of times and then the energy is out while there is plenty of TUs left. I use said unit as minelayer, drop previously active choke/stun grenades, or so.

It doesn't use soldier's original energy. It is one of key features of my vehicle system, just like with the Bike. TU's represent "drive time" while Energy represents "gun time"

Also, regarding the current progress:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:20:31 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2018, 12:05:55 am »
Of course it's intentional. The complete overhaul of tank resistances was due to this.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I have to plan my strategies around this. My original comment was because I had a Tank 85 mm driven by a Lokknar, and she took health damage by a guy firing a SMG (I forgot which one but one that fires bullets that ignore armor a bit). Maybe it was a odd RNG, or it was something else.

It doesn't use soldier's original energy. It is one of key features of my vehicle system, just like with the Bike. TU's represent "drive time" while Energy represents "gun time"

Is there a formula or similar that allows me to estimate how much gun time is left ?

Also, regarding the current progress:

Hohoho! That's going to be fun! Please make it fire also gas rounds (same large radius as the heavy mortar rounds or so).
One of my best rewarding games was a citadel defense against deep ones, where I put two heavy mortar gals on the roof inner patio firing gas rounds blindly all over the map. Oh the screams! Mass carnage after a RL hard day of work  :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2018, 01:24:49 am »
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I have to plan my strategies around this. My original comment was because I had a Tank 85 mm driven by a Lokknar, and she took health damage by a guy firing a SMG (I forgot which one but one that fires bullets that ignore armor a bit). Maybe it was a odd RNG, or it was something else.

Between high armor and Piercing resistance, how is it even possible?

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2018, 01:49:25 am »
Between high armor and Piercing resistance, how is it even possible?

Now I'm starting to think that maybe there was some other stuff fired at the tank that caused the injury. I don't have the save file of that particular event, thus I cannot confirm.
I remember it was a Spartan Pogrom and there were lots of arms fire on the gal. It is possible that something else cause the injury, and I didn't noticed until the allegedly SMG fired.

Now, my comment is, if it makes sense the wearer of said armors (Car or Tank) should receive a nominal increase in HP (say 20 HP for cars and 40 HP for tanks) to account for machine degradation (not armor) when hit. It's not like when the armored beastmaster loses her armor and stays naked on the battlefield. Although that mechanic: the tank shells dissolves and the pilot is in the middle, all in underwear,  would be fun to see.  :)

How the game mechanics of a battle aftermath would treat the soldier with injuries whose remaining HP still is greater than the original HP?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2018, 09:32:06 am »
Now, my comment is, if it makes sense the wearer of said armors (Car or Tank) should receive a nominal increase in HP (say 20 HP for cars and 40 HP for tanks) to account for machine degradation (not armor) when hit. It's not like when the armored beastmaster loses her armor and stays naked on the battlefield. Although that mechanic: the tank shells dissolves and the pilot is in the middle, all in underwear,  would be fun to see.  :)

Well it would be, but it's impossible for 2 key reasons:
1) The original unit counts as killed regardless if a new unit is spawned;
2) The new unit is always hostile.

How the game mechanics of a battle aftermath would treat the soldier with injuries whose remaining HP still is greater than the original HP?

It doesn't matter how many HP were left, only how many HP were lost. So HP increase will end up in longer hospital times. I could increase it by token 10-20, but I am unsure, as it would eg. decrease the advantage in resilience Gals have. Circumventing this healing problem is possible, but is a major pain in the ass and I prefer to keep it simple.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2018, 12:32:41 pm »
Well it would be, but it's impossible for 2 key reasons:
1) The original unit counts as killed regardless if a new unit is spawned;
2) The new unit is always hostile.

Yes, I imagined there was a game mechanic that would prevent what I described, otherwise you would have implemented it by now. It was more like a long shot wish-list item for the creators of OXCE to add.

It doesn't matter how many HP were left, only how many HP were lost. So HP increase will end up in longer hospital times. I could increase it by token 10-20, but I am unsure, as it would eg. decrease the advantage in resilience Gals have. Circumventing this healing problem is possible, but is a major pain in the ass and I prefer to keep it simple.

Yes, indeed, if it's major PITA it's not worthy.

So, if I understood right, soldiers wearing armor with HP bonuses would get X HP to their stats. If the soldier has a decrease in HP after a battle (say Y HP), the game applies the base hospital time in days equal to the HP lost (Y), and not only when X<Y or by Y-X days. And removing the armor doesn't have any effect on the above.