aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1065818 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3660 on: July 17, 2023, 10:37:03 pm »
What exactly influences the percentage that a power source remains intact after a crash? I think I recall that orginal xcom had like 25% flat chance, but it's definitely not what I'm seeing in XPZ.

I haven't played XPZ, but exploding UFO_POWER_SOURCE object types has been hardcoded to 75 % in BattlescapeGenerator::explodePowerSources() - not sure if this can be modified by scripting (obviously ship design or using other object types might also influence this).

Also see:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/UFO_Crash_Recovery#Power_Source_Explosions_and_Elerium_Recovery

FWIW, I noticed that the description for TFTD Ion-Beam Accelerator explosion in ufopedia is different; https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ion-Beam_Accelerators; not sure where this comes from but based on a brief look it isn't implemented in OXC.

Offline ciqasty

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: July 17, 2023, 11:26:36 pm »
Hi, playing new version and I have just used tiny drill.
This spawned an anomaly and now I am confused a bit - should I research it? Because when I research it it's doing some strange thing in tech tree viewer where the "use drill" option is no longer marked (is pinkish, instead of blue) also prerequisite 2 becomes crossed off.

This is my second playthrough but the first one was some time ago and on lower difficulty and I just don't remember if I researched it or skipped it (might be I haven't noticed).
Basically the question is - to get the items from codex etc. what should be done after using tiny drill? I have a save from before using it but frankly I don't want to play the game just to find out I somehow made a mistake in research and it will lock me out of codex or something ;)

Offline splic3r

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: July 18, 2023, 05:15:30 am »
Is there an updated resource anywhere? Ufopedia seems super outdated. I think I used to use bootypedia? But it doesn't work? No discord? I'm not a fan of forums :(

I was looking for country starting bonuses.
I was looking for some help on a noob codex to pick (I never finished a run, restarting...again)

Thanks!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3663 on: July 18, 2023, 10:21:53 am »
Is there an updated resource anywhere?

Sorry, what resource? You don't mean game assets, right?

Ufopedia seems super outdated. I think I used to use bootypedia? But it doesn't work?

Yeah, looks like https://xpedia.netlify.app/ doesn't have the latest additions. I'll try to find out if it will be updated.

No discord? I'm not a fan of forums :(

We don't speak the D word here, but there's Matrix: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,10381.0.html

I was looking for country starting bonuses.
I was looking for some help on a noob codex to pick (I never finished a run, restarting...again)

Come to Matrix, we have answers :)

EDIT: Sorry, I see you're in there already :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 10:32:14 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: July 18, 2023, 10:07:10 pm »
I haven't played XPZ, but exploding UFO_POWER_SOURCE object types has been hardcoded to 75 % in BattlescapeGenerator::explodePowerSources() - not sure if this can be modified by scripting (obviously ship design or using other object types might also influence this).

Also see:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/UFO_Crash_Recovery#Power_Source_Explosions_and_Elerium_Recovery

FWIW, I noticed that the description for TFTD Ion-Beam Accelerator explosion in ufopedia is different; https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ion-Beam_Accelerators; not sure where this comes from but based on a brief look it isn't implemented in OXC.

Thanks for that - it only confirms my vague recollection about 25% in original.
In XPZ I had a downed cruiser (Obliterator barrage via Dragon if it makes any difference) which consistently had no engines undamaged. I decided to test this and out of 40 retries (yes, I save scummed), twice (5%) had 2 of 4 engines, 6 (15%) times had 1 of 4 and 32 (80%) had all destroyed engines. The 20% (5+15) is statistically faaaar away from the predicted ~68% chance of at least one engine being undamaged if we went according to original rules.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: July 18, 2023, 11:04:52 pm »
I decided to test this and out of 40 retries (yes, I save scummed), twice (5%) had 2 of 4 engines, 6 (15%) times had 1 of 4 and 32 (80%) had all destroyed engines. The 20% (5+15) is statistically faaaar away from the predicted ~68% chance of at least one engine being undamaged if we went according to original rules.
Are any of the engines close to each other? The above only applies to OG Battleship-like configurations.

And 40 tries is a pretty tiny sample as such things go. Granted, it shouldn't be off by that much, but still. 

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: July 19, 2023, 12:43:30 am »
It's a Cruiser (OG Battleship) so each engine is separate and there is no way for them to destroy each other. At 40 tries I simply gave up - while it is scientifically small, the sample is still enough to show that something fishy is going on. ;) 10 engines out of 160 is not 25%, not even close. :) I'll see how it behaves on other ships if I have the time (and patience). Maybe the Cruiser just has some secret self destruct thingie added in XPZ to make the Hellerium payout much smaller.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: July 25, 2023, 04:28:02 am »
10 engines out of 160 is not 25%, not even close. :) I'll see how it behaves on other ships if I have the time (and patience). Maybe the Cruiser just has some secret self destruct thingie added in XPZ to make the Hellerium payout much smaller.

Dunno about that but if you want more Hellerium just edit or insert the item entry for the elerium-115 item and set its "Armor" value as an item to some number near 200. The ufo power source explosion does damage thats something like 165 points to 235, you'll have to check that with an official x-com document source though. And it seems to be randomly rolled even against terrain unlike regular explosions so you have random blast patterns each time.

By giving it 999 armor you will always recover fuel from each engine whether destroyed or not. Around 200 armor you will recover it most of the time. I typically give it Armor: 185 so that it usually preserves some of the fuel from a craft with blown engines.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: July 25, 2023, 10:52:49 pm »
It's more of a weapon (parts) question for me. Plus it makes me feel slightly cheated that after a hard air battle to take out some of the bigger warships I get a hard land battle only to not get any weapon parts due to engines being blown out.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: July 28, 2023, 06:10:26 am »
It's more of a weapon (parts) question for me. Plus it makes me feel slightly cheated that after a hard air battle to take out some of the bigger warships I get a hard land battle only to not get any weapon parts due to engines being blown out.

Set the Armor: value on weapons parts (ie, implosion bomb launcher) to 999 so that way you automatically always retrieve them. That should be the way it is anyway since the weapons are located (visually) in other parts of the ship. Id do it to gauss cannon parts and plasma spitter parts too, etc.

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: July 30, 2023, 08:21:58 pm »
During hideout defense missions, my turrets (https://xpedia.netlify.app/##AUX_XTURRET_CANNON_WEAPON) act very strangely, often failing to shoot enemies as if they don't see them half of the time, or are too lazy to look around for enemie. Is this intended?
 Similarly, during Defend gov base from ninja assault, turret on top of the big gov bunker rarely if ever shoots at attacking ninjas.

Offline Catscrath25

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: August 01, 2023, 06:52:32 pm »
Is there a way to sent where your troops are standing in the dropship during deployment. Doing a 40k imp guard playthrough and I want all the recruits at the front to take the opening fire.

Offline Warface

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: August 02, 2023, 03:04:28 am »
Is there a way to sent where your troops are standing in the dropship during deployment. Doing a 40k imp guard playthrough and I want all the recruits at the front to take the opening fire.

Equip Craft -> Crew -> Preview

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: August 03, 2023, 11:19:48 pm »
Does technomancer's cript mission (https://xpedia.netlify.app/##STR_LOC_CRYPTEK_CAVES) has some special objectives? SOme places with enemies that you can't find and have to mine to?
I am pretty sure i've revaled the whole map and killed / incapacitated all enemies, but the mission woun't finish and "bughunt" mode woun't activate no matter how long i turnskip. I can post screenshots of revealed map if it helps.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: August 04, 2023, 08:27:15 am »
Yes. There is a collapsed small room on the upper floor