Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1024260 times)

Offline nicedayright

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3645 on: January 03, 2023, 06:29:29 am »
If you're having trouble with excess ninja outposts, I've got them down to something like a science by now.

Certain craft are your friend for this, early game I'd recommend the CONVOY. Throw some HMG's or 25mm's in the gun slots and ensure the pilots are high-accuracy and it'll plow through enemy interceptors on the way in.  It comes as two open backed APC's, so sometimes your landing zone can screw you. If you spawn in with the open doors facing the outpost and its attendant 14mm's just leave, it's not worth it. Once landed, your convoy is your fortress. Engage enemies by "poptarting" using the two ladder/hatches on each apc to pop out, take a couple shots then drop down. Use sniper rifles, grenades/grenade launchers and bows to eliminate the minigun turrets (the little ones) as well as any ninja you see. Ensure you're clearing the space around your APC and be careful about ninjas throwing grenades into your craft. It sucks.

Once you've cleared the flying assault ninjas and minigun turrets and have a little bit of breathing room, start pushing gals out into good cover to approach the 14mm turrets. Be careful of ninja in the little corner fortresses. For this next bit you need flamethrowers. Flame throwers always do a little bit of damage even through armor, hit AOE to take advantage of the turret's 2x2 profile, and reaction disrupt to keep you from taking return fire. Lucky for you, random ninja slaves tend to carry flamethrowers on these maps if you didn't have some already (you should have some already). Beat the turrets by hiding in the crenelated portions of the wall near them and popping out to hit them with burst from your flamethrowers before popping back in.

It is *possible* to damage 14mm turrets with your normal dedicated AT weapons (RPG's and such) but they're tanky enough that it will take multiple hits, and they absolutely will reaction fire and kill your shooter every time. However, if you hit them with a flamethrower first, they'll be disrupted and unable to fire back at anyone else you have shooting. Turns out being covered in burning napalm limits your ability to see very well. If you're especially bold, you can use this time to whack them with hammers.

Two dedicated gals with flamers can burn down a turret in two turns. Less if you supplement with RPG's, hammers etc. Once both turrets are gone, crack the main gate with a hammer and commence to hunting ninja's. By this point you should have killed enough of them that the rest are panicking and will surrender, but it is sometimes a chore to hunt down the last stubborn warrior.

Once that's done, enjoy the cash, loot and score bounty.

It's possible to do this very early on with very low resource investment. A couple high accuracy gals with snipers or grenade launchers form your base of fire. They sweep the skies and kill mini turrets. A pair of gals with flamers to push up and handle the big 14mm's. At least one gal with a hammer or pickaxe to break the gate. Convoy is optional and there are better craft for this (anything with a door and no windows, looking at you TRITON), but it's cheap, tanky and available early on.

Offline Yglorba

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: January 04, 2023, 12:42:54 am »
Dynamite is also extremely effective at dealing with turrets.

(And everything else.)

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: January 04, 2023, 01:18:13 am »
I got good results using Panzerfausts to take out the large 14mm turrets. The arcing shot allows you to get around reaction fire, while deployment is as simple as a rookie with panzerfaust and sidearm. Even if the panzerfaust misses, it usually lands nearby.

Offline Dead Nettle

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: January 05, 2023, 11:53:44 pm »
Turrets don't have thermal vision right? Smoke should work shouldn't it?

Offline zombieguy223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: January 06, 2023, 03:04:02 am »
Turrets don't have thermal vision right? Smoke should work shouldn't it?
The big 2x2 turrets that the Ninjas use have Night Vision 16 and Thermal Vision 50%. So smoke can work, just not very well.
Interestingly, in N2 they were modified to now not ignore CQC mechanics, so if you're feeling daring you can have someone in flying armor with decent evasion stand next to the turret and face it to completely suppress it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 03:11:22 am by zombieguy223 »

Offline RicoDevega

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: January 06, 2023, 03:06:45 pm »
Am I missing something for ACADEMY PROVOST'S SECRETS? I have every single academy interrogation done. Almost all academy personnel are 100% researched, missing only a single tech from the scientist and thrall (Lightning Thrower and #058). It doesn't show any research requirements in the xpedia. I have the ESP Secrets but I think I got that from the previous version by manufacture breaking one. The only other SECRETS tech I haven't got is for the guildmaster.

I'm about to enter 2603 and am on the cusp of researching Higher Studies. I've already cleared an academy base once but if needed I can just buy a Provost, but as I've researched every tech she can give I don't think I'll be able to research her.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: January 06, 2023, 03:40:20 pm »
There is a bug currently about the provost and guildmaster. Unfortunately, I do not know the fix, but this should be posted in the Bugs topic.

Offline Torchwood

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: January 07, 2023, 11:28:19 am »
If you are deep enough into the lategame for VIP interrogations and don't want to wait for a patch, here's how to fix it.

Get your favorite text editor and open up (starting from your OpenXCOM folder) user\mods\Piratez\Ruleset\Piratez.rul

To fix the academy provost, look for an entry that looks like this:
  - name: STR_SECTOID_COMMANDER
    cost: 35
    needItem: true
    destroyItem: true

To the getOneFreeProtected section, add the following lines:
      STR_INTERROGATION:
        - STR_ACADEMY_COM_KNOWHOW

For the guldmaster:

Look for this:

- name: STR_GUILD_COMMANDER
    cost: 35
    needItem: true
    destroyItem: true

This one doesn't have a getOneFreeProtected section, so you need to add one yourself. Just below
    getOneFree:
      - STR_FISTY
Add this:
    getOneFreeProtected:
      STR_INTERROGATION:
        - STR_TRADERS_COM_KNOWHOW

Careful with editing that file, make a backup first, don't use any tab-indentations, only spaces. If you tamper with it improperly, OpenXCOM will give you an error message if you start it.

And in case you're wondering why the academy provost is called Sectoid Commander in code, let's just say this mod used to be a palette swap that just replaced X-Com weapons with pirate-y counterparts. It's come a long way since, but some of internal references still call academicians sectoids, traders floaters and church snakemen.

Offline Fugazza

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: May 24, 2023, 02:49:01 am »
Are ruined hangars recoverable in any way?

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: May 29, 2023, 06:37:50 pm »
Yes. You have to click on them to "dismantle" them, that is a way to fix them. Even while ruined they provide some amenities, so make sure to cover the shortfall while they are out of service.

Offline Interdictor

• Sergeant
  • AC-Incendiary! Let autocannon burn again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: June 09, 2023, 10:56:35 pm »
Do we have Taarna from "Heavy Metal" implemented in the MOD?
I see Loc-Nar The The Sum Of All Evils is already referenced )

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3656 on: June 10, 2023, 01:13:52 am »
Do we have Taarna from "Heavy Metal" implemented in the MOD?
I see Loc-Nar The The Sum Of All Evils is already referenced )

Yes, Taarna is referenced in a way :)

Offline Nefandi

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: June 19, 2023, 05:52:09 am »
I'm in the late game and Crypt of the Technomancer simply isn't spawning even though I did the related research/quests a couple of years ago. Is there a line edit I can do in a save file that will force the mission to spawn?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: June 20, 2023, 11:16:06 pm »
I'm in the late game and Crypt of the Technomancer simply isn't spawning even though I did the related research/quests a couple of years ago. Is there a line edit I can do in a save file that will force the mission to spawn?

In one of the Alien Missions of the .sav file cannibalize one of the existing missions, by replacing it with the one you want. You'll need to research what the mission is and which region set it spawns with. You can find the alien missions section of the .save file easily by searching for "countdown".

Also many missions have missionsitezone set to -1 and those are mainly flying missions, so a mission site will have a positive number or 0, if you dont know how many mission sites exist in that region set just put it as 0 or some low number so the game don't crash. I think for example siberia base has like only two locations, and zaxx exterminator missions only have like 7 sites.

I do this sort of thing all the time to generate extra Infested Basement rats mission for fun, training, and commendations. And for those Jacks missions with the double crossing dudes or crackhouses. And also multiple X-Prisons since the doctor x prison can spawn multiple times, so this way I can just group them up and run the mission several times when im interested in it all at once (the resulting loot, well, if it can spawn several times id already be getting that loot, basically more life support modules than you even need for the conqueror).

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: July 17, 2023, 10:11:00 pm »
What exactly influences the percentage that a power source remains intact after a crash? I think I recall that orginal xcom had like 25% flat chance, but it's definitely not what I'm seeing in XPZ.