Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033866 times)

Offline magitsu

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3525 on: August 12, 2022, 03:29:01 pm »
It probably needs just the UFO files (or TFTD), not both.

The readme hasn't been thoroughly updated in years since it still contains reference to OpenXcomExPlus39.exe (currently OpenXcomEx.exe). The current version info at the top of the file and changelogs at the bottom are though.
Copy files from your original "UFO: Enemy Unknown"/"X-Com: UFO Defense" folder to the "OpenXcom_XPiratez/UFO" folder.

I'm not sure about the The Data Patch mentioned here how the current OXCE installer covers it.
https://openxcom.org/downloads-extras/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 03:40:06 pm by magitsu »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: August 12, 2022, 03:43:57 pm »
I'm not sure about the The Data Patch mentioned here how the current OXCE installer covers it.
https://openxcom.org/downloads-extras/

Both OXC and OXCE installer download the latest version of the data patch from the same source.

Offline Ttaogaming

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: August 12, 2022, 07:15:17 pm »
I do have UFO and Terror from the deep installed correctly.
Able to run the base games as well as mods like Xcom files, X Chronicles, Reaver Harmony, and The World of (Terrifying) Silence.

I am able to get to the screen in mods to choose Piratez (Image attached)
(This is taken from my most recent attempt and I was messing with X Chronicles, I have also done this on a clean install of OXCE 7.6 and the same occurs)

Then it takes me to screen 2 and then screen 3, I would click save and restart and the app would close.. The issue is that whenever I launch OXCE it keeps launching me into screen 2 and then screen 3 then restarting the app without getting me to the start screen of the game.

I was able to move the mod files from Piratez user/mods into OXCE PC and was able to get Piratez to work on PC. The problem is getting it to work on Android. I thought maybe the issue is the version of OXCE so I have tried it with the OXCE Feb-07 build in the older versions link https://openxcom.org/oxce/release/ and the error seems to be the same. Is there someone that has gotten Piratez to work on android and is able to tell me what version of OXCE they are running or maybe give me a hint of what I can do to get it to run?
Running OXCE 7.6, Piratez N1.1, Android 11 on Oneplus 6T.
My next attempt is to try an older version of Piratez and an older version of OXCE for android but without a reference to what works there seems to be many possible combinations and each attempted install takes 30 ish minutes with unzipping files on android.

It seems that other mods are fine and it is only Piratez that I'm struggling with.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 07:25:30 pm by Ttaogaming »

Offline balam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: August 15, 2022, 10:20:03 pm »
How does research works exactly? Like "hoe" for example has a research cost of 7. Does that means that 7 brainers will have it completed in 1 day?  I remember a log entry that says something like excellent means it will be done in 1~3 days so I guess there's some randomness involved... in this case 3 brainers with excellent will have it done in 1 day 100% of the time? How do you deal with overflow?

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: August 16, 2022, 01:34:26 am »
the overflow is lost, for example 3 brainers researching a hoe will spend 9 brainerdays on a 7 brainerday project. it's not randomness, it's imprecision in the measurement.

Offline balam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: August 16, 2022, 03:33:25 am »
Well, I've just tested and there is some randomness, or at least some variable I don't know about. 4 brainers managed to research rare earth elements (cost 10) and mess hell (also 10) in two days.
UAC Carbine has a cost of 5, but 4 + 1 brainers didn't get it done.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 03:35:35 am by balam »

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: August 16, 2022, 07:24:25 am »
There is an element of chance in research. The number of man-days recorded in the game files is an average. When a study is started, the game "rolls the dice" and determines how many man-days are needed for the study this time. The minimum is 50% of the average, and the maximum is 150%. Therefore, each time the game is repeated, the research time is unique and it is impossible to determine in advance exactly how many scientists to allocate to research this topic in a certain time frame.

Offline balam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: August 16, 2022, 08:23:53 am »
I see, thanks.

So the best way to rush without waste would be just assign 50% the cost, let one day pass and try to deduce how much you rolled from the progress/#075 and adjust accordingly I guess?

Going by #075, if a tech has 100 cost, you assign 50 brainers and on the next day the progress turns to "good" at 20 means you rolled 130%?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:39:07 am by balam »

Offline Rondano

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: August 16, 2022, 07:32:20 pm »
Hello,
I can't find how to turn on censorship anywhere, please help

Offline ElGrillo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: August 16, 2022, 11:05:06 pm »
Hello,
I can't find how to turn on censorship anywhere, please help

IIRC there was a mod for that, but hasn't been updated in a long time. AFAIK there is no way to turn on censorship in XPiratez

Offline OmniscientQ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: August 17, 2022, 01:34:16 am »
Does the Dutchman do anything for me that a Harvester can't do better? It has an STC slot, but there's not a lot of value in a single STC slot on an otherwise unarmed craft. The Dutchman has more range, and is a bit faster, but the difference between 400 and 500 may as well not exist. I feel like I should just cash in my Dutchman for the 300k and move on. I have a revolution to lead.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3536 on: August 18, 2022, 11:09:29 am »
I'd say a single STC is still fairly useful, as you can install an engine booster there. Really helps with air racing :)

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: August 18, 2022, 12:47:21 pm »
Isn't there a STC that's a weapon?

Offline OmniscientQ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: August 18, 2022, 07:59:06 pm »
I'd say a single STC is still fairly useful, as you can install an engine booster there. Really helps with air racing :)

Oh, yeah. I'll get right on turning my Dutchman into a lean, mean racing machine.  ::) It'll only take me the entire campaign to do it.

Given that my revolution is on track to have a base on every continent by the end of 2601, I think I'll pass. Harvesters for everyone!

I keep thinking there's gotta be some unusual arrangement of bases made feasible due to the HQ's global radar coverage, like putting four bases all side-by-side. Shorter transfer times between factories and combat teams? But that's not much of an advantage, and there's still a pretty strong incentive to eventually have hyperwave coverage over every major land mass. I'd be willing to trade the perfect detection rate of hyperwaves for global coverage, so long as it kept the detailed scan information... Hm. That might be an idea for a submod - a decoder with global range, but zero independent detection chance. Make it require an HQ be built at the base. Hell, since you'd only ever need one, make it another 3x3 facility? I like the idea of a campaign path that incentivizes building one or two mega-bases instead of the standard distributed network. I dunno that Peasant Revolution is that path - the Peasant Revolution feels like it should be a bunch of underground resistance cells that are everywhere and anyone. Moreso than the underground pirate resistance, anyway.

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: August 22, 2022, 11:37:01 pm »
If you have 100 tu, 110 reactions and 150 melee, how much armor must an enemy have for Cattle Prod to become more damage efficient than Stun Baton?