aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033761 times)

Offline Fugazza

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3270 on: December 24, 2021, 02:26:12 pm »
Quick Question:

When you sort the spoils (the sales screen) at the end of every battle, and you Right Click any item, it tells you:

Topic: (Current Item)
No Dependencies

I already know what that means (if the item is used for any other manufactured item, in any degree) but what I don't know if dependencies change according to your Tech Tree Status. I would like to get a definite answer...

... so I can sell whatever obsolete guns I have in the vaults and get dollaros AND space. If this question was answered before, sorry for asking again.

PD: IDK who said the "Fill your bases with burrows and build over them" but that kind of tips  really improved my runs

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: December 24, 2021, 11:18:01 pm »
On the fence your stuff page, the dependencies are independent of your tech level.  I assume this is the same on the end of battle page.  One thing that is NOT independent of your tech level is the mission description showing which armors and ships you can bring to which missions.  I strongly recommend using this page as a reference instead: https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##CONDITIONS

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: December 27, 2021, 02:55:45 pm »
Is the Farm service that the Plantation provides critical beyond early game? Asking because I demolished it to make room.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: December 27, 2021, 03:13:20 pm »
You'll want sectoweed farms and more income eventually, but that's what extra bases are for.  It provides nothing critical for your first base.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: December 28, 2021, 03:56:48 am »
Quick Question:

When you sort the spoils (the sales screen) at the end of every battle, and you Right Click any item, it tells you:

Topic: (Current Item)
No Dependencies

I already know what that means (if the item is used for any other manufactured item, in any degree) but what I don't know if dependencies change according to your Tech Tree Status. I would like to get a definite answer...

... so I can sell whatever obsolete guns I have in the vaults and get dollaros AND space. If this question was answered before, sorry for asking again.

PD: IDK who said the "Fill your bases with burrows and build over them" but that kind of tips  really improved my runs

If you rightclick items who have usew that you don't know of yet, the uses will be behind asterix that can be revealed or hidden using the spoiler button.

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: December 30, 2021, 10:58:18 am »
Just realized that in my current run (currently in March of the second year) I never encountered the Cannibal Gals (and they showed up only once in my previous runs too).

Should I worry?

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: December 30, 2021, 11:53:50 am »
No.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: December 31, 2021, 01:32:41 am »
Soo... Tried assaulting a ninja outpost and just immediately noped out after it turned out there were like 10 turrets.  What's the time limit before these things evolve?  And do these little guys throw hunter killers at you if you get in their radius without a hunting party or is that just the airfields?  I'm assuming not but wouldn't want to lose an airspeeder finding out xD  Actually I could just send a v8, right :)  Edit: yeah they don't thankfully.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 02:57:31 am by Greep »

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: December 31, 2021, 09:43:36 am »
Soo... Tried assaulting a ninja outpost and just immediately noped out after it turned out there were like 10 turrets.  What's the time limit before these things evolve?  And do these little guys throw hunter killers at you if you get in their radius without a hunting party or is that just the airfields?  I'm assuming not but wouldn't want to lose an airspeeder finding out xD  Actually I could just send a v8, right :)  Edit: yeah they don't thankfully.

I would advice assaulting them with Convoy or Trucks, as they give good cover and big crew.
most turrets are very fragile and can be destroyed quite easily, the 2 base defense turrets besides the gates are the main problem, being quite hardy and killy.
I usually avoided their line of sight, killed everything else, and then either bombed them to death with repeated Mortar strikes or gathered all the high explosives and emp grenades from killed ninjas and threw them at the turret from within the compound (remaining out of turret's sight) until they died. quite frustrating, but doable.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: December 31, 2021, 01:40:31 pm »
Oh yeah, I'm not too worried about eventually destroying them, it's just right now I don't have said tools.  If it upgrades in two or three months, I've got time to wreck them in probably the way you mentioned, otherwise I've got to hobble together some garbage and hope it works. 
Cannonballs o' acid are probably what I'd use in a hurry, but I don't even know if I have time for that given that there's like 10 turrets and I'd need to actually build multiple assault cannons.

Edit: btw, I'm a little confused, I just lost a WORM with my charger laser to a ninja jetbike, even though my worm has a max speed of 2700 and the jetbikes have a max speed of 2450.  Shouldn't I have had an option to run away?

Losing irreplaceable codex weapons to HKs is always fun :/

Edit: OOOOooh, did this have to do with accelration?  So jetbike combat speed is 2450*1.5 instead.  Well that sucks.  It's too bad that there's no way to quickly redirect a craft on getting hunter killered, since you're probably going to be on faster clock speed and unable to react in time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:49:49 pm by Greep »

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: December 31, 2021, 07:03:53 pm »
You should have to option to run away from a HK slower than you, no issue there. It's the same button as for a non-HK.

HOWEVER, HKs will engage in combat immediately, there's no standoff option. So if you're not on the ball, and let them approach, you're in a world of hurt when trying to disengage where acceleration comes in.

Maybe turn down dogfight speed in options, so you have time to react? The problem is not with geoscape run speed, it's probably the dogfight speed option that you need to turn down a bit if you need time to think.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:06:33 pm by Iazo »

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: December 31, 2021, 07:14:20 pm »
Well, with geoscape run speed, I just meant giving me more time to actually redirect the craft.  Jetbikes have almost no radar range so there's almost no time to react.

Unfortauntely, your only options when a HK is on intercept is "AYE" and "ok -5secs"  So inevitably you hit ok 5 secs, almost make it to click on your ship and the jetbike is already attacking.

I could lower geoscape clock speed via options, and increase the actual time increment, though.   It's not like I need anything faster than min geoscape clock speed with 30 min increment, although it looks pretty choppy that way.

Regarding acceleration:  Huh, just experimented again, and now the options are there... hmmm... could've sworn there was no escape last time.  Maybe I was just being dumb  ::)

Edit: Btw, the ninja crackdowns all attack on foot right?  Honestly feels like the only way to defend expansion bases would be flak cannons, exploding doggos just isn't cutting it and you may as well get missile defense thrown in.  I noticed you no longer need a humanist soldier for the stick bombs, so looks like that's actually possible to get if you go full brainer mode.  Although you still need to find a light cannon :/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:05:03 pm by Greep »

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: January 01, 2022, 01:06:08 pm »

How do you use sentrygun (rockets)?
It's big immobile unit with good gun.
But it starts (as all units do) in your craft, and being immobile, it can't go out of it, and so can't fire it's gun, making it quite useless.
Am I missing something here?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: January 01, 2022, 06:33:11 pm »
It's meant for open doors craft with multiple exits basically, mostly the menace class ships.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: January 02, 2022, 11:06:46 am »
it has waypoints for the shots, thou only two. The main attraction for the sentry is as a ramp guard in craft with open ramps and alternate exits. It's very tanky for it's tech level and can let you play out early nasties staring down your ramp.