aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1024519 times)

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3255 on: December 17, 2021, 09:19:21 am »
A technical question:
When I dogfight enemy ufo with lots of HP (say mobile ninja base),  causing it some damage and then disengage (or my plane is destroyed, whatever), does it remain damaged?
If so, can it repair on the go or must it "land" to repair, to restore it's HP (allowing me to assault it)?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: December 17, 2021, 09:30:34 am »
Pretty confdent it remains damage, based on past experience of hit and running ambulances with a charger laser.  Whether they repair or not somehow, I'm not sure, but I doubt it.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: December 17, 2021, 09:32:21 am »
what does "spy on ninjas" work do?

manufactured it twice, first time got young uber back, second time nothing
It has a random chance involved with what it outputs, 22% chance to get back nothing, and a bunch of other results. The main attraction is that a portion of the outcomes let you hire a gal with the spy honors commend, as well as some ninja tech goodies.

Offline aku

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: December 18, 2021, 03:11:12 am »
Does terrain have resistances? As in if I shoot at a wall with laser rifle and plasma rifle for the same damage, will the calculation be any different or is it just an armor value that need to be overcome and damage type is irrelevant?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: December 18, 2021, 10:06:45 am »
Pretty sure it doesn't.  Weapons attacks that damage terrain differently have a different "Terrain damage multiplier" in the online pedia, though.  It's mostly used for melee or weapons that should ignore terrain like charming attacks, though.

Note:  Apparently when not shown, the default terrain damage multiplier is 0.5, not 1.  So 1 is actually 2x more damaging.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 01:20:52 pm by Greep »

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: December 19, 2021, 04:21:14 am »
Do the patrols and fighters from ninja bases detect your base for retaliations?  I had a ninja base spawn near me and while I was just outside their radar range, their patrols and fighters would pass right over my base.  Later that month I got hit by two ninja base invasions about a week apart.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: December 19, 2021, 04:59:33 am »
Do the patrols and fighters from ninja bases detect your base for retaliations?  I had a ninja base spawn near me and while I was just outside their radar range, their patrols and fighters would pass right over my base.  Later that month I got hit by two ninja base invasions about a week apart.
Yeah they do, pretty much any craft with a radar circle of its own will flag a base.
Does terrain have resistances? As in if I shoot at a wall with laser rifle and plasma rifle for the same damage, will the calculation be any different or is it just an armor value that need to be overcome and damage type is irrelevant?
Terrain is just an Armor value check, using the To terrain modifier of the weapon, default as mentioned is 0.5
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 05:01:15 am by legionof1 »

Offline JamTheDane

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: December 19, 2021, 11:42:24 pm »
I have restarted twice recently, and not sure why i am fucking up, but somehow i am missing something important to get any crafts that can actually fight.
Anyone got the name of the first "normal" fighting craft you get, so i can try to go though the tech tree and find out what i am doing wrong?

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: December 20, 2021, 01:40:33 am »
It depends on what you get available and what codex choice you pick, though the in general, the first RELIABLE craft are the shadowtech battery craft gotten from learning about Shadowmasters.

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: December 20, 2021, 03:52:30 am »
The good news is you don't actually need to shoot anything down, the game is heavily weighted towards missions in the early game.  Aside from civilians and a few minor thugs, shooting things down actually has a tendency to bork your whole run if you accidentally shoot down a really hard faction anyways.  If you run into a merc fighter, best disable your weapons and let the thing shoot you down lol.

Unless you want to heavily look into these two pages:

https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_UFOS
https://www.xpiratez.wtf/en-US##STR_XCOM_CRAFT_ARMAMENT

You should completely ignore hunter killers and only fight things without a radar.

I haven't messed with pre-shadowmasters fighters outside of civilians yet, but I believe they go something like this:

-LITTLE BIRD:  Fuck all
-AIRCAR/ DAREDEVIL: Civilians
-BUCKAROO/FAUST: Bandit zepellin, necroplanes.
-INCINERATOR: Probably intended for freighters but they're too fast.  Maybe Ninja APCs

Theoretically you could use them for more by fighting together, but a base with multiple hangers filled with these pieces of crap will cost millions and bring very little profit.  Just wait for shadowmasters really.

Edit: To answer your question more specifically, the only fighting ships I used mid game in previous version were:

-AIRCAR/JETBIKE: Civvies, tailing ships to landing sites.
-SCARAB/SNAKE: Weak ships
-KRAKEN:  Tanks heavy ships
-BARRACUDA: Lasers go pew pew
-BRAVE WHALER:  Missiles go shoom shoom

You don't get these for a while.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:56:08 am by Greep »

Offline JamTheDane

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: December 20, 2021, 11:53:37 pm »
After a restart i figured out my problem, idiot me forgot i had to use the start craft to follow ships till they land, i was just waiting to spot landings, and wondering why the hell i was doing good on research, but miserable on progress :) That got me the Necroplane parts needed for research to get anything actually done :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:05:31 am by JamTheDane »

Offline Genesis200028

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: December 21, 2021, 09:44:57 am »
Hey sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching it but nothing useful came up but how do you move base buildings without dismantling them and building new ones? I've seen it done before like on Starving Poet's playthrough but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it myself, do I need a secondary mod for it, or is there some type of debug mode I am unaware of?

Either way any help is appreciated, thank you.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3267 on: December 21, 2021, 11:08:28 am »
Hey sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching it but nothing useful came up but how do you move base buildings without dismantling them and building new ones? I've seen it done before like on Starving Poet's playthrough but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it myself, do I need a secondary mod for it, or is there some type of debug mode I am unaware of?

Either way any help is appreciated, thank you.

This option was removed from OXCE some years ago.

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: December 21, 2021, 04:33:36 pm »
You can go to the save file and edit it directly, open it with a notepad, ctrl+f "bases:"
you will see:

facilities:
      - type: STR_ACCESS_LIFT
        x: 0
        y: 2
      - type: STR_HANGAR
        y: 0
      - type: STR_STILL
        x: 2
        y: 5
      - type: STR_LABORATORY
        x: 4

Buildings have coordinates from 0 to 5, 0,0 is top left, iirc. Rearrange however you like, then delete some money for honesty.

Offline 2much

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: December 24, 2021, 03:55:42 am »
You can go to the save file and edit it directly, open it with a notepad, ctrl+f "bases:"
you will see:

facilities:
      - type: STR_ACCESS_LIFT
        y: 2
      - type: STR_HANGAR
        y: 0
      - type: STR_STILL
        x: 2
      - type: STR_LABORATORY
        x: 4

Buildings have coordinates from 0 to 5, 0,0 is top left, iirc. Rearrange however you like, then delete some money for honesty.
Good to know! Thanks Gremlion!