Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072168 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3480 on: January 28, 2023, 09:40:59 pm »
I just installed the new version, and there are now a massively reduced number of possible agent faces, there are now only 16 in total (none of which are new from the previous version).
Nah, there are even more faces now. It's just that the 'change avatar' interface doesn't seem to play nice with 'maxLookVariant' values over 15. No idea why, ruleset reference makes it look like it should be able to go up to 63. Maybe all the different soldier types interfere with it somehow? Anyway, I imagine it's something to take up with Meridian.

Right now, you can just set 'maxLookVariant' back to 15 and just live with not having access to every single possible avatar from the armour interface. The man took it up himself. Update to OXCE 7.8.7 or higher (not that there's anything much higher yet).

Also, is there any way to change the palette back? The colors for UFOpedia look horrible IMO, almost intentionally so.
Go to customPalettes_XCOMFILES.rul and delete these lines.
Code: [Select]
  - type: NEW_XCF_PALLET
    target: PAL_BATTLESCAPE
    file: Resources/Pals/NEW_XCF_PALLET.pal

No clue what you're talking about wrt UFOpedia. The Pedia palette itself is unchanged. Battlescape items and armours use a separate, third palette there, and that's unchanged as well. You should notice that stuff tends to change colours a bit when you middle-click them.

I kinda like the new (or rather old :D ) blues, but on the whole the palette changes have IMO never been for the better and I've removed almost all of them from my copies as soon as possible. They obfuscate more than they immerse. YMMV and all that, of course.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 11:57:24 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: January 28, 2023, 11:14:32 pm »
Nah, there are even more faces now. It's just that the 'change avatar' interface doesn't seem to play nice with 'maxLookVariant' values over 15. No idea why, ruleset reference makes it look like it should be able to go up to 63.

This was fixed in OXCE 7.8.7

https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/commit/d61b764cd6c991c06ee751c1d06318394cbe8d22

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: January 28, 2023, 11:54:03 pm »
Indeed, that fixed it. Now there's only the small issue of the last 16 avatars not having names (yet?).

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: January 29, 2023, 04:14:28 am »
Quote from: Juku121
No clue what you're talking about wrt UFOpedia. The Pedia palette itself is unchanged.

It didn't used to be extremely garish vomit-yellow and extremely dark purple with light blue text that turns teal after being read for me.

Quote from: Juku121
Battlescape items and armours use a separate, third palette there, and that's unchanged as well.

Suits used to be black, and now in the new version they are light gray. If I middle-click on something it brings up the UFOpedi page. Deleting the new color palette fixed the paperdoll and battlescape color changes, but UFOpedia still looks like something from Cruelty Squad.

Quote from: Meridian
This was fixed in OXCE 7.8.7

This is probably a dumb question, but where exactly do I download 7.8.7? The most recent link I can find is for 7.8
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 04:23:42 am by Marrik »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: January 29, 2023, 06:58:22 am »
It didn't used to be extremely garish vomit-yellow and extremely dark purple with light blue text that turns teal after being read for me.
Ah, you mean the interface between the Geoscape and the Articles. I went past that without really noticing. Yeah, this is some TFTD-ish palette right there. :(

To revert this change, find interfaces_XCOMFILES.rul and remove this block:
Code: [Select]
  - type: ufopaedia
    elements:
      - id: palette
        color: 7
      - id: window
        color: 138
      - id: text
        color: 89
      - id: list
        color: 133
        color2: 80
        border: 239
      - id: button1
      - id: button2

This is probably a dumb question, but where exactly do I download 7.8.7? The most recent link I can find is for 7.8
Here, under 'bleeding edge ... builds'. Make sure to sort by date, the list is long and the first result is not always the latest.

Suits used to be black, and now in the new version they are light gray.
Suits actually are grey in the raw image files, it's the intermediate palette (which I also don't like in general, though the suits are better) that makes them so.

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: January 29, 2023, 07:57:27 am »
All my turbolaser sniper rifles at all bases have turned into laser sniper rifles of a new kind and require bullets.))))

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: January 29, 2023, 08:33:37 am »
I suppose it's a side effect of this:
- New weapons: ... Laser Sniper Rifle (bigob by Brain_322; old Laser Sniper Rifle renamed to Turbolaser Sniper Rifle).
Actually, it's the other way around, as you've just discovered: the old 'Turbo' sniper became the new Laser Sniper and there's a new Turbolaser Sniper. Strange way to do things, if you ask me. :-\

The new old blues do mess with the Tritanium Vest, for example, which is now a plain bright blue in the Battlescape and its old XCF self in the Pedia. Whichever way they finally end up, I suggest unifying Battlescape and Battlepedia palettes (except for the interface colours, of course).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 08:48:06 am by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3487 on: January 30, 2023, 10:12:43 am »
Actually, it's the other way around, as you've just discovered: the old 'Turbo' sniper became the new Laser Sniper and there's a new Turbolaser Sniper. Strange way to do things, if you ask me. :-\

No. Even Akamashi confirmed that what I wrote was the truth. Although admittedly it depends how you look at it.

The new old blues do mess with the Tritanium Vest, for example, which is now a plain bright blue in the Battlescape and its old XCF self in the Pedia. Whichever way they finally end up, I suggest unifying Battlescape and Battlepedia palettes (except for the interface colours, of course).

What is the "battlepedia" palette?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: January 30, 2023, 10:18:24 am »
What is the "battlepedia" palette?

Battlepedia palette is a battlescape palette with last 16 colors replaced with colors needed for text and cursor.

Used for:
- bigobs (item pedia articles)
- craft weapon images (craft weapon articles)
- and inventory paperdolls (armor pedia articles)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:21:07 am by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: January 30, 2023, 10:37:11 am »
Battlepedia palette is a battlescape palette with last 16 colors replaced with colors needed for text and cursor.

Thank you.

Yeah, got rid of that one entirely, so what's there to unify?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: January 30, 2023, 10:48:26 am »
Thank you.

Yeah, got rid of that one entirely, so what's there to unify?

:D

You cannot get rid of a palette.
OpenXcom uses that palette and there is literally nothing you can do about that. (I'm not joking.)
OpenXcom completely ignores the palettes in your images and replaces them with its own global palettes. (The only exception being the _CPAL feature and the cutscene slides)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:50:03 am by Meridian »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: January 30, 2023, 10:54:22 am »
No. Even Akamashi confirmed that what I wrote was the truth. Although admittedly it depends how you look at it.
Yeah. From a conceptual POV, your changelog is right. But from a technical, "what will happen to my save" POV, the old 'Turbolaser Sniper' just got downgraded.

...what's there to unify?
Things like these. PALETTES.DAT still has all of the 'old XCF' palettes, and you only replaced the Battlescape one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:57:21 am by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: January 30, 2023, 11:16:26 am »
:D

You cannot get rid of a palette.
OpenXcom uses that palette and there is literally nothing you can do about that. (I'm not joking.)
OpenXcom completely ignores the palettes in your images and replaces them with its own global palettes. (The only exception being the _CPAL feature and the cutscene slides)

I was referring to this commit: https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles/commit/2eae96305f5ad1a8b1159f5e9ab9b917d4970aee

Inb4: no, I don't know what it does; I got instructions form Dioxine (same as in Piratez). No, he doesn't know how it works either; he got it from someone else. But what is supposed to happen is that the Battlepedia palette is unused, as it's replaced by Battlescape palette (with extra blacks).

From what I can see, the battlescape palette sprites work fine in Pedia (no pink pixels on bigobs nor armours), and the game hasn't exploded, so yay.

And yes, PALETTES.DAT remains the same; only RSSWizard has the power to edit palettes with a goddamn hexedit, so nobody's touching this.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 11:18:14 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: January 30, 2023, 11:24:26 am »
In that commit battlescape palette was replaced by NEW_XCF_PALLET and battlepedia palette was not replaced (you can see that the ruleset for it is commented out).

Since you didn't use palletes.dat, but text-based palette, it will be quite easy to replace also the battlepedia palette.
I can prepare a small commit if you want.

As for "how it works", that's not very easy to explain here.
I can call you on Skype or something and explain visually.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: January 30, 2023, 11:30:49 am »
Since you didn't use palletes.dat, but text-based palette, it will be quite easy to replace also the battlepedia palette.
I can prepare a small commit if you want.

Yes please, I'd appreciate that.

As for "how it works", that's not very easy to explain here.
I can call you on Skype or something and explain visually.

When you have the time, sure - learning is good.