Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1104849 times)

Offline Akamashi

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3465 on: January 13, 2023, 11:14:45 pm »
Leaving this here (hopefully in the correct place) to help someone who may have run into a similar situation as I have.

Cyberweb Lair missions

Maybe a tips menu added to the intro screen or something.
In order to complete this mission i had to use High explosives to blow through walls in order to gain access to entries where enemies were hiding.
And this was no easy task, it took a lot of save scumming because you need to use explosives (or very high powered ammo to blow through walls at a specific point.

Most of the walls were 2 tiles thick, but precise placement of explosives would reveal an entrance door.
This is similar to something I saw in TFTD. In the final mission, one alien was hiding inside a wall.

Playing on the difficulty of iron man, I got used to the fact that it is easier to evacuate from some missions than to try to complete them. Sometimes you even have to experience the drama when an agent has fallen into the gutter, stairs are destroyed, and enemies are barricaded with bricks. It's very sad to evacuate leaving an agent in the gutter forever. But it teaches thrift. Then I always had a tool and dynamite in sufficient quantity.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 02:37:26 pm by Meridian »

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: January 14, 2023, 08:23:03 am »
In attachment: saves, where loot pile is generated off escape zone. Recreated in New Battle.
For vampire castle - on stairs, took about 5 tries.
For shogg village - wherever, this took ~15 tries.
I assume every time a guy is generated off escape zone, there can be a loot pile where the guy is - so, off the escape zone. Attached couple saves this happens also.
The craft is filled up kitsune.

Cyberweb lair
Walls with doors that you need are placed across other doors (don't have to guess that much) and are pretty flimsy.
You can just punch through them if your agent has 90+ damage roll. Since tile damage for punch is 0.4, the walls have ~35 armor or slightly less.
Can get them even with blops sniper, but can take many turns in rookie hands.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 08:44:08 am by Stone Lake »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: January 15, 2023, 08:29:17 pm »
I suggest renaming "Unarmed Attack (...)" to "UA (...)" and "Master of the {}" commendation to "Master of {}". Otherwise, a a number of weapon commendations in the diary get cut off, some quite badly.

Also, 'STR_HYBRID_PSI_WEAPON' has no name (but can show up in the commendation list).

Offline the nomad

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: January 17, 2023, 12:03:08 pm »
What is the reasoning behind Dragonfly's lights being on in night missions, while other crafts' are not, least among those I unlocked? It keeps biting me in the ass in Cult missions, because I keep forgetting it does that and assault at night, and sometimes I have to anyway.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: January 17, 2023, 12:46:38 pm »
It's a Dragonfly, it's gotta glow at night to attract mates? :P

Offline AmanitaVerna

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: January 17, 2023, 02:33:46 pm »
It's a Dragonfly, it's gotta glow at night to attract mates? :P

That's a firefly, not a dragonfly. 😛

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: January 17, 2023, 02:36:14 pm »
Is Firefly canon in XCF? :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3472 on: January 27, 2023, 04:10:00 pm »
I confirm the problem. My inventory appeared on the elevator on such missions as an alien Colony, an alien base and an embassy of hybrids.

The report was specifically about the Vampire Castle.

In places you describe: yes, I know. Not exactly a bug, but if it's that much of a problem, I can try and see if it can be changed.

I have a question. Is it intended that both the basic and advanced grenade launchers have an aimed range of 200 but the MGL only has 20. I mean, it might be a balancing thing to even out the magazine but it strikes me as being a bit... much.

The Milkor is one-handed.

Yeah. Get the Auto-Cannon. :P

Oops. How has this bug managed to hide from everyone for so long? :)

Fixed.

Found a small bug where Agent is unable to move due to tile being placed in water on Turn 1.

Known bug; hopefully fixed by now.

I suggest renaming "Unarmed Attack (...)" to "UA (...)" and "Master of the {}" commendation to "Master of {}". Otherwise, a a number of weapon commendations in the diary get cut off, some quite badly.

Also, 'STR_HYBRID_PSI_WEAPON' has no name (but can show up in the commendation list).

I don't think "UA" is remotely clear. As a player, I sure wouldn't understand it. Besides, it just the country code for Ukraine.

"Master of" is fine, thanks for the suggestion.

What is the reasoning behind Dragonfly's lights being on in night missions, while other crafts' are not, least among those I unlocked? It keeps biting me in the ass in Cult missions, because I keep forgetting it does that and assault at night, and sometimes I have to anyway.

It's an intended downside to reflect the fact that you're using a civilian craft for military operations.
I had to do something, okay? :)

Is Firefly canon in XCF? :)

Probably not...? I'm not sure. :)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: January 27, 2023, 04:55:09 pm »
I don't think "UA" is remotely clear. As a player, I sure wouldn't understand it. Besides, it just the country code for Ukraine.
How about 'Master of HtH', then? That's a reasonably common abbreviation, and just skipping the 'the' is not remotely enough for some armours.

Or perhaps 'Master of Sports'? ;D

Although "Master of the Ukraine" will certainly get you some notoriety. :P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 04:57:33 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: January 27, 2023, 05:11:32 pm »
I'd rather avoid acronyms, they look amateurish to me.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: January 27, 2023, 05:28:50 pm »
So, what's your solution to this, then? Before removing the 'the', it was virtually impossible to tell what armour it was. And even now it looks worse to me than any acronym, amateurish or not.

And if you think abbreviations are for amateurs, I take it you haven't experienced what a professional military conversation is like? :D The damn acronym soup is so thick for even the most irrelevant of things you can practically cut it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:32:48 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: January 27, 2023, 05:47:05 pm »
I think "Unarmed (<SUIT>)" reads fine.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: January 27, 2023, 08:20:28 pm »
Hmm, not entirely fine but a passable compromise.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: January 27, 2023, 08:34:58 pm »
OK, I'll think about it after the release. Thx for the suggestions and feel free to post more.

Offline Marrik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: January 28, 2023, 08:39:00 pm »
I just installed the new version, and there are now a massively reduced number of possible agent faces, there are now only 16 in total (none of which are new from the previous version).

Also, is there any way to change the palette back? The colors for UFOpedia look horrible IMO, almost intentionally so. It reminds me of that game Cruelty Squad. I kind of hate the new color palette in general really, everything is too bright on the paperdoll screen, and on the battle map, the suits barely look like suits. It was a lot better when they were black.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:00:27 pm by Marrik »