Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072146 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2850 on: May 01, 2021, 07:25:09 pm »
Whenever I interrogated someone from cyberweb I was informed of getting Cyberweb space technomad processing workshop option despite never dealing with anything cyberweb that wasn't the mission in the sewers, with one regular technomad, some roboturrets and drones.

I second this, every time I interrogate a technomad the pops up the manufacturing info window regarding the space technomad. I don't even see why that manufacturing option is needed in the first place - $5000 and a technomad? Can't we just interrogate them like regular technomads (or mysteks) and be done with it? We already have all these other "processing options" that are kind of useless tbh. I have better uses for my engineers than to undress cult/syndicate members to get something that is easily obtained or (worse) useless at that point in game.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 07:29:09 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2851 on: May 01, 2021, 08:52:48 pm »
Could an alternative item be used for such? For example, there are many gibblets/corpse-like trash items that can be found in caves, substituting generic corpse for one of them and adding a short description "Rotting remains of some hapless creature. Whatever it once was, now it has absolutely no monetary or scientific value." and a price of -1 dollars (trashbags are expensive) would probably make it look far more fleshed out and less confusing - after all it's rasonable that the Salvagers would send something that didn't survive the journey or was simply not identified well rather than mysterious corpse of a creature one cannot identify yet is also unable to investigate.

OK, write me a funny description and I'll see about it :D

That it's possible it's obvious, it's how it was done seems to be a bug. I can understand electricity but a robot should probably have much more decent resistance to bio/organic attack (unless it's corrosive but that one is usually handled by "chemical" attack type so it's not an issue anyway), at the very least the stun aspect of it. It does seemingly have 0% vulnerability, so theoretically resistance already - but if something goes through, then that something still doesn't work well. OpenXCom issue?

That tongue probably hits with enough force to break limbs. I think some shock here is justified here, even on robo- err, mechanical life forms.

Hm, maybe, though merely allowing default item list to segregate items on the basis of how they're employed/their type, rather than their effect would fix this issue easily as well as prevent any issues if you'll implement above-mentioned plan. If someone wants to then look for stun weapons in particular, they could choose that from the drop-down menu.

Okay, it's more of a matter of my arbitrary decision at the beginning. I'll work on that.

I can confirm their issue. While I never really suffered killing an alien from an overstun due to use of handcuffs, it's certain that handcuffing an alien does mess with some stats of theirs as often stunned (Zzzz) enemy icon turns into the one of a heart when handcuffed for a couple of turns.

Hmm. Okay, I'll keep an eye on that. (The script is rather brutal.)

Whenever I interrogated someone from cyberweb I was informed of getting Cyberweb space technomad processing workshop option despite never dealing with anything cyberweb that wasn't the mission in the sewers, with one regular technomad, some roboturrets and drones.

There's no space technomad research. Maybe I should add completing the pink caves as an additional research requirement? Yeah, I'll do that.

Lack of sprite for the chubby beach resort civilian holding a spear. He's standing there with spear levitating in front of him. Screen001 during the mission Deep Ones Attack, one of the civilians picked up the weapon.

Yeah, they don't have combat poses, using a different routine instead. Well, for now!

Sprite of a trooper facing wrong direction for a cybersuit wearing trooper armed as the Screen003 shows (including direction that was clicked for the trooper to turn to). Must be my luck - I almost never use bigger melee weapons for reasons mentioned so when I finally made someone pick one up, there had to be an issue :P

Very strange. Would you happen to have a save game? I can't see anything wrong during my tests.

Inventory sprite of a trooper with wide torso can sometimes poke outside the armor layer. Xcomfilesbug.png shows an example.

Thanks, I'm fixing this all the time...

Call of T'Leth mission is available before Deep Ones Outposts are researched though it seems to depend on the knowledge of outposts.

Sorry, what mission? Call of T'Leth is a research topic, not a mission.

"Lots of swarmid corpses" cannot be autopsied like regular "swarmid corpses". Similarly with stunned "lots" that cannot be researched like smaller swarmid swarms for some reason. Both should probably lead to the same research since in either case it's a study of single bugs in the swarm.

I'll just remove the large corpse from the game, except in battlescape.

Roboturrets and robospheres (intact, not wrecked) seem to have no weight.

It's a "live alien", these take prison space instead. (It's a little broken in 1.8, but fixed on GitHub.)

Since apparently it was meant to be a thing but isn't, I can confirm what someone else reported - MiB tanks aren't recovered after the mission. Neither wrecks nor stunned ones.

Probably also fixed already.

Something tells me this sprite isn't supposed to look like this when carrying an axe:

See above for the fat tourist case.

Can't we just interrogate them like regular technomads (or mysteks) and be done with it?

Nope, because they don't even have their own research topic. They're just normal technomnads in suits.

We already have all these other "processing options" that are kind of useless tbh.

Ask the people who whine about not having these options. "WAAAAH, THAT'S ILLOGICAAAAAAL! WHY CAN'T I TAKE HIS KEVLAR VEEEEST!"

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: May 01, 2021, 09:10:44 pm »
Nope, because they don't even have their own research topic. They're just normal technomnads in suits.
And I was literally asking if they could be treated like 'normal' technomads or mysteks, seeing how there is (in my oppinion) no point in that addtional step requiring you to "undress" them. If your egnineers are playing striptease with your captives, shouldn't you be the one paying them instead?

Ask the people who whine about not having these options. "WAAAAH, THAT'S ILLOGICAAAAAAL! WHY CAN'T I TAKE HIS KEVLAR VEEEEST!"
FFS, into my ever growing submod they go then.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: May 02, 2021, 01:15:03 pm »
And I was literally asking if they could be treated like 'normal' technomads or mysteks, seeing how there is (in my oppinion) no point in that addtional step requiring you to "undress" them. If your egnineers are playing striptease with your captives, shouldn't you be the one paying them instead?

Sorry, I don't understand what your actual idea is. Please explain in terms of how it should work in the game.

(For further clarificartion, you shouldn't even be able to get any technomads in suits... but it's possible with psi capture or surrendering, so I'm plugging holes here.)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: May 02, 2021, 02:10:01 pm »
Sorry, I don't understand what your actual idea is. Please explain in terms of how it should work in the game.

(For further clarificartion, you shouldn't even be able to get any technomads in suits... but it's possible with psi capture or surrendering, so I'm plugging holes here.)
Okay, let me try to break this down a bit further:

This is the research entry for the Mysteks, right?

Code: [Select]
  - name: STR_CYBERWEB_MYSTEK
    requiresBaseFunc: [INTLAB]
    cost: 30
    needItem: true
    destroyItem: true
    unlocks:
      - STR_CYBERWEB
      - STR_CULTIST_INTERROGATED
      - STR_CYBERWEB_BATTERY
      - STR_CYBERWEB_BRAIN_IMPLANT_PREQ
#      - STR_ATLANTIS_TEMPLE_RUMORS
    getOneFree:
      - STR_GOLDEN_DRAGONS
      - STR_COUNCIL_POWER_CHAIN
      - STR_ETRACE
      - STR_STAFF_001
      - STR_STAFF_002
      - STR_STAFF_003
      - STR_STAFF_007
      - STR_STAFF_008
      - STR_STAFF_009
      - STR_STAFF_010
      - STR_STAFF_012
      - STR_STAFF_023
      - STR_STAFF_026
      - STR_STAFF_032
      - STR_CYBERWEB_MANUFACTURING_PLANT
      - STR_DOSSIER_PIOTR_WISNIEWSKI
      - STR_DOSSIER_SHADOWMAN
      - STR_DOSSIER_OWEN_HOFFER
      - STR_DOSSIER_ANTHONY_BARKER
      - STR_DOSSIER_CHAD
      - STR_DOSSIER_PURPLE_LILLY
      - STR_DOSSIER_BRITTA_HANSEN
      - STR_DOSSIER_DING_QUADONG
      - STR_DOSSIER_MILLICENT_WEBER
      - STR_DOSSIER_GRISHKA_BULLET_YASHIN
      - STR_DOSSIER_DR_HADRIEX
      - STR_OSIRON
    getOneFreeProtected:
      STR_SNAKEMAN:
        - STR_STAFF_034
      STR_MILITARY_ENVOY_CONTACT:
        - STR_STAFF_013
        - STR_STAFF_014
      STR_CHIEF_RESEARCHER_CONTACT:
        - STR_STAFF_015
        - STR_STAFF_020
        - STR_STAFF_024
        - STR_STAFF_025
      STR_REAPER:
        - STR_STAFF_021
      STR_CHRYSSALID:
        - STR_STAFF_022
      STR_HARVESTER:
        - STR_STAFF_027
      STR_LASER_HAND_WEAPONS_MANUFACTURING:
        - STR_STAFF_028
      STR_MINOTAUR_STR_CHIEF_RESEARCHER_CONTACT:
        - STR_STAFF_029
      STR_LASER_WEAPONS:
        - STR_STAFF_031
      STR_THE_NEPHILIM_STR_XENOLOGIST_CONTACT_STR_ETHEREAL:
        - STR_STAFF_033
    listOrder: 151010

Now the next part is a bit tricky, but stay with me here - what if you add an additional entry that looks like this:

- name: STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD
    requiresBaseFunc: [INTLAB]
    cost: 30
    needItem: true
    destroyItem: true
    unlocks:
      - STR_CYBERWEB
      - STR_CULTIST_INTERROGATED
      - STR_CYBERWEB_BATTERY
      - STR_CYBERWEB_BRAIN_IMPLANT_PREQ
#      - STR_ATLANTIS_TEMPLE_RUMORS
    getOneFree:
      - STR_GOLDEN_DRAGONS
      - STR_COUNCIL_POWER_CHAIN
      - STR_ETRACE
      - STR_STAFF_001
      - STR_STAFF_002
      - STR_STAFF_003
      - STR_STAFF_007
      - STR_STAFF_008
      - STR_STAFF_009
      - STR_STAFF_010
      - STR_STAFF_012
      - STR_STAFF_023
      - STR_STAFF_026
      - STR_STAFF_032
      - STR_CYBERWEB_MANUFACTURING_PLANT
      - STR_DOSSIER_PIOTR_WISNIEWSKI
      - STR_DOSSIER_SHADOWMAN
      - STR_DOSSIER_OWEN_HOFFER
      - STR_DOSSIER_ANTHONY_BARKER
      - STR_DOSSIER_CHAD
      - STR_DOSSIER_PURPLE_LILLY
      - STR_DOSSIER_BRITTA_HANSEN
      - STR_DOSSIER_DING_QUADONG
      - STR_DOSSIER_MILLICENT_WEBER
      - STR_DOSSIER_GRISHKA_BULLET_YASHIN
      - STR_DOSSIER_DR_HADRIEX
      - STR_OSIRON
    getOneFreeProtected:
      STR_SNAKEMAN:
        - STR_STAFF_034
      STR_MILITARY_ENVOY_CONTACT:
        - STR_STAFF_013
        - STR_STAFF_014
      STR_CHIEF_RESEARCHER_CONTACT:
        - STR_STAFF_015
        - STR_STAFF_020
        - STR_STAFF_024
        - STR_STAFF_025
      STR_REAPER:
        - STR_STAFF_021
      STR_CHRYSSALID:
        - STR_STAFF_022
      STR_HARVESTER:
        - STR_STAFF_027
      STR_LASER_HAND_WEAPONS_MANUFACTURING:
        - STR_STAFF_028
      STR_MINOTAUR_STR_CHIEF_RESEARCHER_CONTACT:
        - STR_STAFF_029
      STR_LASER_WEAPONS:
        - STR_STAFF_031
      STR_THE_NEPHILIM_STR_XENOLOGIST_CONTACT_STR_ETHEREAL:
        - STR_STAFF_033
    listOrder: 151011

I know it's a bit radical - maybe Meridian can back me up on this - but I think it should work.

Jokes aside, I think this is a case of breaking something by trying to fix something else - the way you have implemented your fix causes the manufacturing info-window to pop up every time you interrogate a technomad. As far as I can tell this is down to

- name: STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD_PROCESSING
    category: STR_MAINTENANCE
    requires:
      - STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD

Usually item research needed for manufacturing is not completed multiple times but only once. Seeing how technomads stay available for research until all of their topics are exhausted the game probably treats every interrogation as a "new" unlock. Not sure if this is an oversight in OXCE or working as intended, but I'd propose a change in either research.rul or manufacturing.rul to prevent the manufacturing info from being displayed every time. Why do you need to research technomads to "undress" space technomads in the first place? Are their suits so difficult to remove?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:23:57 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: May 02, 2021, 02:34:08 pm »
fast self insert there, if any this problems is caused by "liveAlienItem" (unit -> item) that soon I will add option for option to override this relation

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: May 02, 2021, 03:55:48 pm »
@Krautbernd Yes, this is how it should be done properly. I just didn't want to make a separate research, Pedia page, etc. for something that probably won't ever happen in a campaign. But I'll rethink it.

@Yankes The exact issue here is that there are two units: STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD, who is a guy in a lab coat, and STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD, who is a guy in a space suit. If you kill the guy in the space suit, it spawns a normal technomad in a labcoat. But this can be circumvented by some capturing methods, so you get a live STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD.
I added a manufacturing project to process STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD into a normal STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD and some extra items to represent the suit, but it's causing the annoying message to pop up every time a STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD is interrogated.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: May 02, 2021, 04:00:40 pm »
@Yankes The exact issue here is that there are two units: STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD, who is a guy in a lab coat, and STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD, who is a guy in a space suit. If you kill the guy in the space suit, it spawns a normal technomad in a labcoat. But this can be circumvented by some capturing methods, so you get a live STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD.
I added a manufacturing project to process STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD into a normal STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD and some extra items to represent the suit, but it's causing the annoying message to pop up every time a STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD is interrogated.

Again, this is - as far as  i can tell - down to having the normal technomad as a required research for the manufacturing project. Why is this a requirement in the first place? What purpose does it serve?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 04:02:16 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: May 02, 2021, 04:02:53 pm »
Again, this is - as far as  i can tell - down to having the normal technomad as a required research for the manufacturing project.

Yes, of course.

Why is this a requirement in the first place?

What else would be suitable? (Can be a list of multiple research topics.)

Actually, yesterday I already added STR_DIMENSION_X_DESERT_SECURED as a second requirement, to at least eliminate the issue before you start fighting them on their home turf.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: May 02, 2021, 04:17:32 pm »
Actually, yesterday I already added STR_DIMENSION_X_DESERT_SECURED as a second requirement, to at least eliminate the issue before you start fighting them on their home turf.

Wouldn't that be enough, seeing how the nomad is doubly unsuited (no pun intended)? Not only can they be researched repedeatly, they also aren't encountered until you actually reach Dimension X. Is this (capturing space nomads) really enough of an issue to introduce something so complicated only to get a normal technomad (which will in all likelihood not yield any additional reasearch anyway)? If there are (for all intents and purposes) "normal" technomads, why not simply have them yield the same reasearch topics to begin with and be done with it?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 04:20:20 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: May 02, 2021, 05:05:46 pm »
Wouldn't that be enough, seeing how the nomad is doubly unsuited (no pun intended)? Not only can they be researched repedeatly, they also aren't encountered until you actually reach Dimension X. Is this (capturing space nomads) really enough of an issue to introduce something so complicated only to get a normal technomad (which will in all likelihood not yield any additional reasearch anyway)? If there are (for all intents and purposes) "normal" technomads, why not simply have them yield the same reasearch topics to begin with and be done with it?

Like I said, it's a matter of adding a research etc. for a unit which you shouldn't even see. Including writing texts and whatnot.

It's not a big deal, I can do that if it's an issue.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: May 02, 2021, 05:25:55 pm »
Like I said, it's a matter of adding a research etc. for a unit which you shouldn't even see. Including writing texts and whatnot.

It's not a big deal, I can do that if it's an issue.

Then why introduce an issue that will affect more players than the issue you are trying to fix in the first place? And what additional written text or ufopedia entries would be needed for this? Simply treat the "space" variant like the normal technomads or mysteks (i.e. simply give them the same research topics). If the unit is not supposed to recovered anyway, why go throught the trouble to introduce a whole new manufacturing option to begin with?

My example was meant to be literal.

Just add them as a research topic. No ufopedia entries needed, no additional text or lore either. It literally solves all of the problems and introduces no additonal issues. There is no added benefit in this case in making this more complicated than it absolutely needs to be. Scrap the manufacturing/"undress" option. At best it is unneeded, at worst it introduces a completely avoidable issue that will affect more players than the issue you are trying to fix.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 05:32:18 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: May 02, 2021, 05:37:33 pm »
Ok, then today I pushed change that could fix it, in Unit config you can add `liveAlien: STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD`and this item will represent captured unit.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: May 02, 2021, 05:44:40 pm »
Ok, then today I pushed change that could fix it, in Unit config you can add `liveAlien: STR_CYBERWEB_TECHNOMAD`and this item will represent captured unit.
That would probably be the most elegant way to fix this.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: May 02, 2021, 07:39:41 pm »

Error for 'STR_CYBERWEB_SPACE_TECHNOMAD': There is live alien item but unit is not recoverable (unit have spawn)

-_-