Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071833 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2835 on: April 18, 2021, 01:33:34 pm »
1) Embassy missions have been removed, as X-Com is apparently powerless to stop the aliens form bribing government officials. This is likely what's messing up the mission sites.

2) How would you manage that (aside from cheating), seeing how you start off at December 30th?

3) Apparently some or all of the turn-limited missions have been replaced by missions using the reinforcement-mechanic. Turns where reinforcements arrive are not indicated (though they probably should).

Offline Guardsman #4287

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: April 18, 2021, 05:48:14 pm »
1) Embassy missions have been removed, as X-Com is apparently powerless to stop the aliens form bribing government officials. This is likely what's messing up the mission sites.

Yeah that would explain it. Thanks.

2) How would you manage that (aside from cheating), seeing how you start off at December 30th?

In past versions of the mod, it usually starts you off with that monthly rating to help give you a beginning boost.

3) Apparently some or all of the turn-limited missions have been replaced by missions using the reinforcement-mechanic. Turns where reinforcements arrive are not indicated (though they probably should).

Alright, thanks for that information.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: April 20, 2021, 10:25:29 am »
- From land survey I've received a "corpse" corpse, unresearchable, with no ufopedia entry, $0 worth

- Not sure if intended - had a shady tavern where no enemies spawned and there was turn counter, 1/1. I just came in, ended the turn, won the mission. Guess it's fair that there's a chance that the meeting with the informant goes without problems, especially since there's a variant where you just arrive too late no matter what - but it still feels a bit weird.

- I researched female stormy after a male stormy, got no info about any data being pulled from her, despite her being researchable.

- A bullfrog managed to render my drone unconscious.

- Probably more of an OpenXCom issue than X-Com Files but just in case - sometimes when I try to throw a grenade or shoot something in particular location, I get information that the location is inaccessible. Very commonly happening with throwing grenades through windows. However, if one keeps clicking, sometimes the game actually will still allow to throw that grenade/shoot and then there's even some chance it will actually get where one hopes it would. Enemies can still shoot and hit troopers at angles player is unable to return fire from.

- I have a workshop order of extracting synthmuscles from mutons available before I even researched what synthmuscles are.

- Again, likely OpenXCom issue rather than X-Com Files - an alien ran out of ammo and then its AI just went crazy - it ran to my vehicle, to the pile of items in it and kept going back and forth, as if it was trying to equip human weapons there, be denied, go away and then try again.

- Strix cannot be handcuffed despite being normal-sized humanoid.

- Knockout grenade in a listing of items in one's storage is somewhere among pistols (its position if "everything" view is chosen, not the item's category) rather than grenades.

- Osiron goons on the cruiser are all labeled "human" when looked up, even if they were already interrogated. This led to a weird title for some of my troopers at the end of the mission, "Bane of human"

- Had a mission show up on geoscape without any popup, named STR_ALIEN_BIG_BASE_ (if anything's after that, it was cut off by the window) - Alien Colony Assault

- A typo in Alien Reproduction entry: "short space of time". I assume it was meant to be "span of time".
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:07:45 pm by justaround »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2838 on: April 21, 2021, 10:38:28 am »
- From land survey I've received a "corpse" corpse, unresearchable, with no ufopedia entry, $0 worth

Normal nad as designed. It's one of normal outcomes (a flavour of "no results").

- Not sure if intended - had a shady tavern where no enemies spawned and there was turn counter, 1/1. I just came in, ended the turn, won the mission. Guess it's fair that there's a chance that the meeting with the informant goes without problems, especially since there's a variant where you just arrive too late no matter what - but it still feels a bit weird.

Yeah, as designed. Doesn't feel strange to me personally.

- I researched female stormy after a male stormy, got no info about any data being pulled from her, despite her being researchable.

You'd probably exhausted the list before the researcxh was complete. It's perfectly normal.

- A bullfrog managed to render my drone unconscious.

Possible, drones can get unconscious if you really try hard to make them to.

- Probably more of an OpenXCom issue than X-Com Files but just in case - sometimes when I try to throw a grenade or shoot something in particular location, I get information that the location is inaccessible. Very commonly happening with throwing grenades through windows. However, if one keeps clicking, sometimes the game actually will still allow to throw that grenade/shoot and then there's even some chance it will actually get where one hopes it would. Enemies can still shoot and hit troopers at angles player is unable to return fire from.

Yes.

- I have a workshop order of extracting synthmuscles from mutons available before I even researched what synthmuscles are.

Right, you can research them in details after extraction.

- Again, likely OpenXCom issue rather than X-Com Files - an alien ran out of ammo and then its AI just went crazy - it ran to my vehicle, to the pile of items in it and kept going back and forth, as if it was trying to equip human weapons there, be denied, go away and then try again.

Yes.

- Strix cannot be handcuffed despite being normal-sized humanoid.

It is resistant, but not immune. (Like all zombies, due to their enormous strength.)

- Knockout grenade in a listing of items in one's storage is somewhere among pistols (its position if "everything" view is chosen, not the item's category) rather than grenades.

It's not "among pistols", it's just before pistols, with other stun weapons.

Should I remove this category and treat Stun Rods as melee weapons, Dart Rifles as rifles, etc.? Perhaps I should, especially since I plan to give these weapons some lethal options.

- Osiron goons on the cruiser are all labeled "human" when looked up, even if they were already interrogated. This led to a weird title for some of my troopers at the end of the mission, "Bane of human"

Good point, I never gave them a proper race. Fixing now.

- Had a mission show up on geoscape without any popup, named STR_ALIEN_BIG_BASE_ (if anything's after that, it was cut off by the window) - Alien Colony Assault

It's a weird glitch I didn't bother to solve, since it belongs to an obsolete feature.

- A typo in Alien Reproduction entry: "short space of time". I assume it was meant to be "span of time".

But it's from vanilla X-Com! :) Please report to X-Com devs.

Offline bombom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: April 24, 2021, 11:13:40 pm »
On beginner difficulty, the purchase price of leather coat is $2000, but the sell price is $2375.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: April 25, 2021, 11:01:16 am »
Assaulter 10 commendation is not working as expected. I have a soldier, named Adept, with whom I am trying to get it.
He has 8 kills with BlackOps SMG, 268 kills with UAC SMG and 28 kills with MAGMA Pulse SMG, totaling 304 kills with SMGs total (I already filtered out stuns).

Yet, he is still at Assaulter 9.

I suspect that while the type of SMG should not matter, it does and he will have to kill 32 more enemies with UAC SMG to get it..

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: April 26, 2021, 12:28:10 am »
Solarius, are the handcuffs (or rather the script) working as intended? I have repeatedly lost enemy units to overstun after handcuffing them. IIRC the handcuffs are supposed to set the stun level accordingly to avoid death due to overstun.

Addendum:

I don't know if this is due to engine limitations, but (cyberweb) robotic units can only be successfully recovered if the player has an alien containment unit. They are not transferred to that base or take up any space there, but they "die" if no alien containment exists. Is this intended?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:50:29 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: April 26, 2021, 05:00:20 pm »
On beginner difficulty, the purchase price of leather coat is $2000, but the sell price is $2375.

Good observation, thanks.

Assaulter 10 commendation is not working as expected. I have a soldier, named Adept, with whom I am trying to get it.
He has 8 kills with BlackOps SMG, 268 kills with UAC SMG and 28 kills with MAGMA Pulse SMG, totaling 304 kills with SMGs total (I already filtered out stuns).

Yet, he is still at Assaulter 9.

I suspect that while the type of SMG should not matter, it does and he will have to kill 32 more enemies with UAC SMG to get it..

Long story short, the commendations system is a little fucked (AFAIK it counts kills per weapon type instead of weapon category, which is not as designed). We need to wait for an OXCE update.

Solarius, are the handcuffs (or rather the script) working as intended? I have repeatedly lost enemy units to overstun after handcuffing them. IIRC the handcuffs are supposed to set the stun level accordingly to avoid death due to overstun.

Honestly? I don't know. I haven't observed this myself, but I can't rule this out.

If this is confirmed to not work, and the script author doesn't fix it, then I'll do something about it.

I don't know if this is due to engine limitations, but (cyberweb) robotic units can only be successfully recovered if the player has an alien containment unit. They are not transferred to that base or take up any space there, but they "die" if no alien containment exists. Is this intended?

Not intended. It used to work fine, but it was probably thanks to some glitch which was later fixed.

I guess I'll have to turn general stores into alien containments for robots...

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: April 27, 2021, 02:28:28 pm »
Researching Blackops Minigun lets you buy ammo for it, regardless if you reached Promotion 2 or contacted Blackops Industries.
So you can pretty much use it as long as you can keep the minigunner in one piece and not a ash heap.

And oh boy, minigun is sure useful when you can have only like 6 dudes in helicopter.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: April 28, 2021, 10:46:55 am »
Researching Blackops Minigun lets you buy ammo for it, regardless if you reached Promotion 2 or contacted Blackops Industries.
So you can pretty much use it as long as you can keep the minigunner in one piece and not a ash heap.

And oh boy, minigun is sure useful when you can have only like 6 dudes in helicopter.

Ah yes, a simple omission. Thanks, fixed.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: April 29, 2021, 10:33:40 pm »
Solarius, one of the tavern meetings has the wrong description assigned with it:

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_WESTMEN_TAVERN_PICKUP
      desc: STR_WESTMEN_TAVERN_INVESTIGATION_BRIEFING

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: April 29, 2021, 11:44:53 pm »
Solarius, one of the tavern meetings has the wrong description assigned with it:

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_WESTMEN_TAVERN_PICKUP
      desc: STR_WESTMEN_TAVERN_INVESTIGATION_BRIEFING

this explains a lot

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: April 30, 2021, 11:48:43 am »
Oops!

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: April 30, 2021, 12:33:41 pm »
More bugs from the latest test. Will write another feedback thread post soon (fair warning). First though:

Normal nad as designed. It's one of normal outcomes (a flavour of "no results").
Could an alternative item be used for such? For example, there are many gibblets/corpse-like trash items that can be found in caves, substituting generic corpse for one of them and adding a short description "Rotting remains of some hapless creature. Whatever it once was, now it has absolutely no monetary or scientific value." and a price of -1 dollars (trashbags are expensive) would probably make it look far more fleshed out and less confusing - after all it's rasonable that the Salvagers would send something that didn't survive the journey or was simply not identified well rather than mysterious corpse of a creature one cannot identify yet is also unable to investigate.

Possible, drones can get unconscious if you really try hard to make them to.
That it's possible it's obvious, it's how it was done seems to be a bug. I can understand electricity but a robot should probably have much more decent resistance to bio/organic attack (unless it's corrosive but that one is usually handled by "chemical" attack type so it's not an issue anyway), at the very least the stun aspect of it. It does seemingly have 0% vulnerability, so theoretically resistance already - but if something goes through, then that something still doesn't work well. OpenXCom issue?

Should I remove this category and treat Stun Rods as melee weapons, Dart Rifles as rifles, etc.? Perhaps I should, especially since I plan to give these weapons some lethal options.
Hm, maybe, though merely allowing default item list to segregate items on the basis of how they're employed/their type, rather than their effect would fix this issue easily as well as prevent any issues if you'll implement above-mentioned plan. If someone wants to then look for stun weapons in particular, they could choose that from the drop-down menu.

If this is confirmed to not work, and the script author doesn't fix it, then I'll do something about it.
I can confirm their issue. While I never really suffered killing an alien from an overstun due to use of handcuffs, it's certain that handcuffing an alien does mess with some stats of theirs as often stunned (Zzzz) enemy icon turns into the one of a heart when handcuffed for a couple of turns.

Now, new bugs:

Whenever I interrogated someone from cyberweb I was informed of getting Cyberweb space technomad processing workshop option despite never dealing with anything cyberweb that wasn't the mission in the sewers, with one regular technomad, some roboturrets and drones.

Lack of sprite for the chubby beach resort civilian holding a spear. He's standing there with spear levitating in front of him. Screen001 during the mission Deep Ones Attack, one of the civilians picked up the weapon.

Sprite of a trooper facing wrong direction for a cybersuit wearing trooper armed as the Screen003 shows (including direction that was clicked for the trooper to turn to). Must be my luck - I almost never use bigger melee weapons for reasons mentioned so when I finally made someone pick one up, there had to be an issue :P

Inventory sprite of a trooper with wide torso can sometimes poke outside the armor layer. Xcomfilesbug.png shows an example.

Call of T'Leth mission is available before Deep Ones Outposts are researched though it seems to depend on the knowledge of outposts.

"Lots of swarmid corpses" cannot be autopsied like regular "swarmid corpses". Similarly with stunned "lots" that cannot be researched like smaller swarmid swarms for some reason. Both should probably lead to the same research since in either case it's a study of single bugs in the swarm.

Roboturrets and robospheres (intact, not wrecked) seem to have no weight.

Since apparently it was meant to be a thing but isn't, I can confirm what someone else reported - MiB tanks aren't recovered after the mission. Neither wrecks nor stunned ones.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 10:35:47 am by justaround »

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: April 30, 2021, 05:21:31 pm »
Something tells me this sprite isn't supposed to look like this when carrying an axe: