aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071762 times)

Offline the nomad

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2715 on: December 08, 2020, 10:53:23 pm »
The percentage that you see is not percentage at all. The game calculates a cone around the target where the shot will go. The higher the "percentage" the smaller the cone.

I highly suspect that there is some Gaussian distribution involved, a.k.a. your shot is more likely to hit the part of the cone that is closer to the target, but I don't really know.

So even with a high number you are not 100% sure to hit far away targets. While even low odds will hit point blank shots.

That cone concept is interesting, didn't know that. But what I was getting at was, are there impossible shots? In example, I was raiding a Syndicate monster lab, one of my agents see a Syndicate Security across one of the corridors with nothing in between. It says 120%, I understood that it doesn't mean guaranteed, but I shot 8 times from the same position at the same static target, and the shots looked like they literally phased through him, felt different than a miss.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:56:10 am by the nomad »

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: December 09, 2020, 12:33:32 am »
I did do that and it still wouldn't allow me to build it, I even completed previously initiated interrogations but that didn't do it either, I don't know what I'm missing.

I attached my save if you would be so kind as to check, sorry for any inconvenience, and thank you :)
Ah yes, I've been in the same situation before.
The HQ also gives 25 storage space, which isn't mentioned in the description text. Your storage is almost full, that's the problem.

Offline Saad

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 09, 2020, 01:15:43 am »
Ah yes, I've been in the same situation before.
The HQ also gives 25 storage space, which isn't mentioned in the description text. Your storage is almost full, that's the problem.

Oh wow that's such a rookie mistake  ;D, Thank you so much.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2718 on: December 09, 2020, 11:24:19 am »
Game crash randomly during combat right when i attack someone with electric club. I am not sure if it is only that weapon or other too.
It do not happens every battle and every attack but all times it happens it is as I click on something to attack in melee.

Sorry, I tried a lot and can't confirm anything like this. Haven't heard anything of this sort from anyone else, either. It's probably something on your side.

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: December 09, 2020, 09:10:58 pm »
May I drop a suggestion in?
Could you please make the "Research Completed" popup not to overlap with the date panel? I'm playing with the resolution set to 800x600, letterboxed.

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 09, 2020, 10:00:13 pm »
Could you please make the "Research Completed" popup not to overlap with the date panel? I'm playing with the resolution set to 800x600, letterboxed.
It's very funny!  ;D   ;D 

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: December 10, 2020, 04:10:48 am »
That cone concept is interesting, didn't know that. But what I was getting at was, are there impossible shots? In example, I was raiding a Syndicate monster lab, one of my agents see a Syndicate Security across one of the corridors with nothing in between. It says 120%, I understood that it doesn't mean guaranteed, but I shot 8 times from the same position at the same static target, and the shots looked like they literally phased through him, felt different than a miss.

Just a hitch, but was that Guard on a stairs that went down? And you were aiming on the level above the stairs?

In that case you need to go a level down to aim at the guard, otherwise the game will aim at the empty space above his head. A unit is on the tile he is standing on, even if he is very high on the tile and is sticking out above.

If this is not the case, it sounds very strange.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2722 on: December 10, 2020, 11:50:13 am »

Well, that would be an engine thing, not mod. Please raise the issue with OXC devs.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: December 10, 2020, 11:59:24 am »
That's by design, no issue.

If you want, you can use a different resolution and different scaling setting, which will allow you to see the date.
For example as attached.

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 11, 2020, 06:32:39 pm »
OK, thanks for the clarification!

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: December 11, 2020, 08:07:50 pm »
Oh wow that's such a rookie mistake  ;D, Thank you so much.

That reminds me: Not a bug, but could you modify the Hangar ufopaedia entry so that it is mentioned somewhere the +25 Storage Cap? It doesn't say so unless you use the info button, and Piratez already includes such mention in the text.
It's not a very important feature, but it would help newcomers.

Offline the nomad

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: December 12, 2020, 12:59:24 am »
Just a hitch, but was that Guard on a stairs that went down? And you were aiming on the level above the stairs?

In that case you need to go a level down to aim at the guard, otherwise the game will aim at the empty space above his head. A unit is on the tile he is standing on, even if he is very high on the tile and is sticking out above.

If this is not the case, it sounds very strange.

There was no height difference, but yeah I also experienced problems with stairs though the shots didn't phase through them they just couldn't connect. This impossible shot issue happens very rare mind you. It seems I am the only one who experienced it, I will send the battlescape save file if it occurs again.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: December 13, 2020, 09:34:25 am »
There was no height difference, but yeah I also experienced problems with stairs though the shots didn't phase through them they just couldn't connect. This impossible shot issue happens very rare mind you. It seems I am the only one who experienced it, I will send the battlescape save file if it occurs again.

If it is really rare you aren't necessarily the only one. I would simply think that the shot missed by a little and leave it at that, if it happened to me. Some units (like rats) are short and the shot could just pass over their head and not go on the upper level. That would have similar visual effect, but the guard isn't short.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: December 13, 2020, 02:18:41 pm »
You are not the only one. It is an engine thing.

I remember a case in XPiratez, where I could not hit this one zombie with a barrage of 100%+ shots. But I did not have a save from the start of the turn and the next turn it moved and could be hit normaly.
I believe it has something to do with relative position, since my gals were all clustered in that situation. But if you have a save from just before you took the shot and have saves resseting RNG on load, you should provide it as proof.

Offline DarthTheIII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: December 15, 2020, 08:58:23 am »
After completing a mission where one agent burned to death another agent received the Betrayer commendation.  I believe this happened because the Betrayer agent threw a smoke grenade which hit the downed, burning agent.  The smoke grenade didn't kill the agent, and the fire came from a sectiod, so I believe this is a bug.