aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072759 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2700 on: November 29, 2020, 06:35:07 pm »
I'm getting a crash while opening Memorial option in Agent list.

You have a dog called "Sienna" on the Memorial wall, who's missing a death date... that's the reason for the crash.

So either you edited your save, or it got corrupted somehow.

Do you remember how Sienna died?

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: November 29, 2020, 07:40:57 pm »
Do you remember how Sienna died?

Thanks, it is indeed my messing with the savefile.

Now I have remembered that dog's death. It happened during October 1997. The dog was clawed down by a zombie during a Crop circles mission. Everything seemed under control, but then a stunned zombie woke up and stalked the dog. Being upset of her death I tried to resurrect her with some changes in the savefile. Then I abandoned that idea.

I've managed to find the details about the mission now, looking through the savefile.
So, the answer is "Sienna was killed during the mission id 87 that started in Nigeria at this moment:
      second: 55
      minute: 31
      hour: 11
      weekday: 4
      day: 29
      month: 10
      year: 1997

Will you be so kind to advice me what I should write in the file and in what row?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: November 29, 2020, 08:03:58 pm »
Fixed save attached.

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: November 29, 2020, 08:16:38 pm »
Thank you, the problem is solved now.

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: November 30, 2020, 12:59:17 am »
Thanks, it is indeed my messing with the savefile.

Now I have remembered that dog's death. It happened during October 1997. The dog was clawed down by a zombie during a Crop circles mission. Everything seemed under control, but then a stunned zombie woke up and stalked the dog. Being upset of her death I tried to resurrect her with some changes in the savefile. Then I abandoned that idea.

or, in such cases, you should, pur_ši_simplu, just load your game few turns before her, Sienna death
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:51:20 am by RolandVasko »

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: November 30, 2020, 11:50:17 pm »
Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm playing in Ironman mode which prohibits manual saving and the dog died right before the game automatically saved its state on the 5th turn in Battlescape. So there was no save prior the unfortunate event.

By the way, I'd like to advice everyone who did not try Ironman mode before — do it. After I managed to free myself from a desire to reload and to replay any of unfortunate events the game shined in new splendor.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: December 01, 2020, 01:19:56 am »
By the way, I'd like to advice everyone who did not try Ironman mode before — do it. After I managed to free myself from a desire to reload and to replay any of unfortunate events the game shined in new splendor.
And this "Hardcore" too in sense like from Diablo series, you can meet "lag spike" boss that kill your character and nobody will restore it :>
In case of OXC this could be small bug in map generation that have 1% chance to generate and crash game. You lose game and modder can't reproduce it.

Online Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: December 01, 2020, 11:49:25 am »
Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm playing in Ironman mode which prohibits manual saving and the dog died right before the game automatically saved its state on the 5th turn in Battlescape. So there was no save prior the unfortunate event.

I would like to question your success at freeing yourself from said desire, considering you decided to edit a savegame to resurrect the dog.

Offline the nomad

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: December 06, 2020, 09:50:20 pm »
I am not sure where exactly to put it as it is probably about the original game itself, but are there blind spots in this game for lack of a better word? There are some instances that my shots with more than 100% accuracy literally keeps phasing through enemies. It is like it is supposed be a hit but it is not. It always repeats whenever I shoot from the same place to the same target.

I am aware that the written percentage is not the final odds but this feels like something different? And if there are indeed blind spots how can I know it?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: December 07, 2020, 01:08:32 am »
In reality given percent have nothing in common with real hit chance, if there is object in the way it can easy "eat" lot of shoots.
And as in real life shoot can move very close to target and miss, all this is cased because game try calculate real trajectory and unitl we try shoot we can't know if we hit or not, or what chance of this is.

Offline Saad

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: December 08, 2020, 02:00:36 pm »
Hi guys
I'm playing on 1.6
I can't seem to build the virtualized HQ on top of the normal HQ, I canceled all the research but still couldn't, I should note that my normal HQ is built adjacent to the access lift and is connecting the hangars to the rest of the base (To make base defense easier :)

Note: I updated to 1.7b and I still can't build it on top of the existing HQ.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:46:13 pm by Saad »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: December 08, 2020, 05:22:35 pm »
I am not sure where exactly to put it as it is probably about the original game itself, but are there blind spots in this game for lack of a better word? There are some instances that my shots with more than 100% accuracy literally keeps phasing through enemies. It is like it is supposed be a hit but it is not. It always repeats whenever I shoot from the same place to the same target.

I am aware that the written percentage is not the final odds but this feels like something different? And if there are indeed blind spots how can I know it?

The percentage that you see is not percentage at all. The game calculates a cone around the target where the shot will go. The higher the "percentage" the smaller the cone.

I highly suspect that there is some Gaussian distribution involved, a.k.a. your shot is more likely to hit the part of the cone that is closer to the target, but I don't really know.

So even with a high number you are not 100% sure to hit far away targets. While even low odds will hit point blank shots.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2712 on: December 08, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »
Hi guys
I'm playing on 1.6
I can't seem to build the virtualized HQ on top of the normal HQ, I canceled all the research but still couldn't, I should note that my normal HQ is built adjacent to the access lift and is connecting the hangars to the rest of the base (To make base defense easier :)

Note: I updated to 1.7b and I still can't build it on top of the existing HQ.

Make sure you have no activity going on in the HQ (basically, research labs aren't being used).

Offline Saad

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: December 08, 2020, 06:55:10 pm »
Make sure you have no activity going on in the HQ (basically, research labs aren't being used).

I did do that and it still wouldn't allow me to build it, I even completed previously initiated interrogations but that didn't do it either, I don't know what I'm missing.

I attached my save if you would be so kind as to check, sorry for any inconvenience, and thank you :) 

Offline liledition

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: December 08, 2020, 08:06:59 pm »
Hello

Game crash randomly during combat right when i attack someone with electric club. I am not sure if it is only that weapon or other too.
It do not happens every battle and every attack but all times it happens it is as I click on something to attack in melee.