aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072509 times)

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2325 on: April 17, 2020, 09:26:17 pm »
Of course not; points aren't related to money in any way.
Wait, really? Maybe I haven't played the game in too long and/or am mixing something up with some X-COM remake/clone now.

For some reason I was under the impression the points at the end/beginning of the month affected reputation of the organization and through that money provided, so better rating at the end of the mission - more money, worse rating - less money. Is it not so? And if not, what role the points serve?

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: April 17, 2020, 09:49:52 pm »
Wait, really? Maybe I haven't played the game in too long and/or am mixing something up with some X-COM remake/clone now.

For some reason I was under the impression the points at the end/beginning of the month affected reputation of the organization and through that money provided, so better rating at the end of the mission - more money, worse rating - less money. Is it not so? And if not, what role the points serve?

Points serve other purposes, but on the long term, they will affect your earnings, just not greatly.

Offline DarthTheIII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: April 18, 2020, 05:18:27 am »
Just now I discovered that if you research an alien commander before researching "The Martian Solution" you need to research another commander in order to get "Alien commander is researched" for Cydonia or Bust.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: April 18, 2020, 10:17:17 am »
Just now I discovered that if you research an alien commander before researching "The Martian Solution" you need to research another commander in order to get "Alien commander is researched" for Cydonia or Bust.

same as vanilla

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: April 18, 2020, 03:26:53 pm »
Points serve other purposes, but on the long term, they will affect your earnings, just not greatly.
Great, thanks for letting me know. I was getting worried I had completely wrong idea about them all along. In light of that, shouldn't just losing civilian and subsequent point penalty leading to some loss of funds be enough, Solarius?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:22:47 pm by justaround »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2330 on: April 19, 2020, 06:53:43 pm »
But losing points already costs money... Countries will decrease their funding.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: April 20, 2020, 04:50:19 am »
But losing points already costs money... Countries will decrease their funding.
Exactly, so there's no issue as implied in:
Of course not; points aren't related to money in any way.
- and simply balancing point loss for civilian death will take care of the need to gather and resell corpses and so that thing can be made even simpler, the way you wanted it to be.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: April 20, 2020, 07:13:58 pm »
Just losing more points will affect future money and can be negated by having a few good missions.

Gathering corpses you need to pay to sell gives you an option.
Sell them now, losing money immediatly, or keep them in storage, losing storage capacity until you sell them.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: April 20, 2020, 09:00:44 pm »
Given the number of such corpses usually gathered thorough the month and their price compared to average income from selling of other things and monthly pay by the council, the choice is superficial at best while still requiring additional clicking/storage management as they keep trickling in and upholding current issue of inconsistency with gathering only some corpses vs others (which isn't as bad as having to gather all of them perhaps but still - if it can be easily refactored/fixed and without much trouble to boot...)

Offline DarthTheIII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: April 22, 2020, 07:41:04 am »
Another bug (?) (no save, unfortunately) on Alien Embassy missions.

I win the surface map and move to the equipment screen for the underground portion of the mission, but there was no equipment available to equip the soldiers.
My question is if this is happening because of the map before was won by the surrendering of Advent/Hybrid units and something triggers the win flag for the map.

Darn. This has never been reported before, and I can't check it because this particular setup doesn't work in Quick Battle...
I'll investigate... somehow.

I also didn't have any equipment spawn in the second stage of an embassy assault.  However I do not have a save for the mission.  But I do have a save before the mission, and a save at the end of an embassy assault I did trying to recreate the bug.  I don't know if this helps, but before the bug occurred I had defeated the last enemy, but the battle didn't end until i clicked end turn.  (I normally play with the mod where the battle ends immediately when all enemy's are incapacitated)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:52:38 am by DarthTheIII »

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: April 22, 2020, 08:48:05 am »
Score does affect whether countries increasing funding but the worst/best case is about 15% increase, you don't get any bonus for going over the threshold for rankup, most countries will just do nothing, and it's pretty random anyways, so as Solarius said almost unrelated to income.

Corpses could have a much larger store space or score could convert to actual money using performanceBonusFactor. But, really it's not a big deal.

Side note, I don't know why there's a performanceBonusFactor for flat money, and not one for income change. Score converting directly to money is not super useful when you already have Money Briefcases, and not very interesting compared to balancing the long-term effects of your "warcrimes".
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:54:42 am by Bobit »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2336 on: April 22, 2020, 01:30:25 pm »
I also didn't have any equipment spawn in the second stage of an embassy assault.  However I do not have a save for the mission.  But I do have a save before the mission, and a save at the end of an embassy assault I did trying to recreate the bug.  I don't know if this helps, but before the bug occurred I had defeated the last enemy, but the battle didn't end until i clicked end turn.  (I normally play with the mod where the battle ends immediately when all enemy's are incapacitated)

Thanks for the save. Tested it, everything works normally, your units are armed.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: April 22, 2020, 03:39:57 pm »
Thanks for the save. Tested it, everything works normally, your units are armed.

The units are are armed, but with only what they are carrying. All the ground equipment brought before that is usually on the floor is not available.

I also observed these missions may have the alien mini-brain room levels swapped, making the center hub inaccessible to our soldiers. And the dirt walls of the compound are quite impervious to regular weapons.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 22, 2020, 03:47:32 pm »
The units are are armed, but with only what they are carrying. All the ground equipment brought before that is usually on the floor is not available.
oh, i thought its supposed to be that way. since you did not carry your extra equipment stack to the exit tiles...

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 22, 2020, 04:26:06 pm »
oh, i thought its supposed to be that way. since you did not carry your extra equipment stack to the exit tiles...
True, but I think that is when you rush to the exit green tiles and end the turn, then the next stage starts with whatever your agents are carrying.

But if the surface mission ends with the last enemy unit destroyed or incapacitated (thus area is secured), presumably the agents can gather all the craft equipment to the starting tile of the underground mission. This happened to me for several alien embassy missions, except for the last two, where coincidentally I also got the inaccessible mini-brain room bug.