Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1096284 times)

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2295 on: April 05, 2020, 12:42:32 am »
It's a limitation of the engine.

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: April 05, 2020, 12:50:59 am »
Could rephrase the bottom sentence of the window to "You'll receive X within the hour."

Offline DarthTheIII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: April 05, 2020, 05:47:17 am »
This is my first time uploading a save, so please tell me if there are any problems.

Once loaded, Sniper Underwood is standing on an elevator with an aquatoid standing above him, he cannot see the aqutoid.

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: April 05, 2020, 12:32:59 pm »
I'm thinking that there should be a way to de-incentivize the player from using surrendered enemies as whacking dummies to train up your agents on. Either by making surrendered enemies give more points in the after-mission report than captured ones (currently the have the same value) or via awards to soldiers.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2299 on: April 05, 2020, 01:22:08 pm »
This is my first time uploading a save, so please tell me if there are any problems.

Once loaded, Sniper Underwood is standing on an elevator with an aquatoid standing above him, he cannot see the aqutoid.

Thank you, I will review.

I'm thinking that there should be a way to de-incentivize the player from using surrendered enemies as whacking dummies to train up your agents on. Either by making surrendered enemies give more points in the after-mission report than captured ones (currently the have the same value) or via awards to soldiers.

First of all, this is not a mod issue, so there isn't much point posting it here.
Secondly, stun weapons generally harm people at least a little, so there's a risk of going overboard and killing your prisoner.
Thirdly, players who would fall so low are assholes and I'm not interested in fixing anything for them, because they wouldn't appreciate it anyway.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 05, 2020, 01:45:37 pm »
Speaking of stun weapons, I dunno if it's a bug or some issue with my installation, but apparently you can see the ufopaedia page for the taser cannon, even though it requires recruitment of the chief engineer to manufacture it.

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: April 05, 2020, 02:45:24 pm »
Speaking of stun weapons, I dunno if it's a bug or some issue with my installation, but apparently you can see the ufopaedia page for the taser cannon, even though it requires recruitment of the chief engineer to manufacture it.

Well I thought it slightly fell into the "bad test" category of the thread's title, but I can understand your other points.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 05, 2020, 03:04:44 pm »
I mean that you can see the page from the get-go, right after starting, long before unlocking the Workshop and everything else. That's a minor bug and one that happened already at some point.

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: April 07, 2020, 12:12:05 pm »
Human Female Farmers can appear in "Strange Lifeform Detected" missions as civilians, but unlike normal civilians their corpses are recovereable loot (which can only be sold for -$10k). I assume that this is the cost meant to be incurred from killing farmers rather than capturing in crop circles and cow mutilation missions, which I am perfectly fine with. But in other missions, it is a bit jarring how a monster-killed female farmer costs XCOM way more than a monster-killed accountant. Sure it costs society more, but XCOM's finances in particular?

Interestingly, I don't seem to recall ever seeing female farmers in crop circles and cow mutilation missions.

Incidentally, for curiosity's sake, can XCOM agents' corpses be set to appear as recovereable loot? I'm thinking of the possibilities of adding an "agent (cover-up) funeral" manufacturing and/or research project that give a few council points or something like that. It would also makes a difference points-wise regarding recovereable corpses and non-recovereable (acid, desintegration, etc).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:01:48 pm by Mr. Mister »

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 07, 2020, 08:00:58 pm »
Incidentally, for curiosity's sake, can XCOM agents' corpses be set to appear as recovereable loot? I'm thinking of the possibilities of adding an "agent (cover-up) funeral" manufacturing and/or research project that give a few council points or something like that. It would also makes a difference points-wise regarding recovereable corpses and non-recovereable (acid, desintegration, etc).

I quite like this idea but wouldn't it bring quite some issues? Just brainstorming here:

I would assume such kind of job would be done by council cleaners that come afterwards and are the folks dealing with "after action" fixing, they probably would also be both the best equipped to dispose fallen agents corpses and the people behind them most fitting to cover the whole matter up. Cleaners could probably be dealt with or some special rule for agents introduced into fluff but that could stretch a bit believability and/or introduce need for X-Com to secure and then do away with every corpse if it is to look consistent. Which comes with its own issues.

Research project probably wouldn't work. Even if some repetitive research for each corpse could be provided it would probably have to be semi-mandatory (after all if you are tasked with making a decent cover-up story, it'd pay if you do it consistently and on time, no just when you feel like it), continuously siphoning some researchers. And it'd look weird, in a "why our xenobiologists, particle physicists and logistic officers play mortuary workers" way. Same issue if it'd be a workshop project requiring engineers. Not to mention that everyone would need a cover-up, living and dead alike, corpse recovered or unrecoverable. I am not sure if it'd be wise to open a can of worms adding whole intelligence and logistics layer to the game.

What could work without adding too much work is a very, very small, almost instantenously researched one-time "Effective body and evidence disposal" research project which could give one a few points in the council and would be triggered by whatever recovered body. You know, just for fluff.

I won't lie, I am also a bit iffy about inconsistency in what civilians drop corpses and how much they are worth. I'd rather have simply mission points loss adjusted to account for the dead without any corpses that later have to be clicked to be sold acquired (with all relevant research entries added to interrogation) - it would also include monetary loss that way automatically as less points means less pay.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: April 07, 2020, 09:04:31 pm »
Human Female Farmers can appear in "Strange Lifeform Detected" missions as civilians, but unlike normal civilians their corpses are recovereable loot (which can only be sold for -$10k). I assume that this is the cost meant to be incurred from killing farmers rather than capturing in crop circles and cow mutilation missions, which I am perfectly fine with. But in other missions, it is a bit jarring how a monster-killed female farmer costs XCOM way more than a monster-killed accountant. Sure it costs society more, but XCOM's finances in particular?

Interestingly, I don't seem to recall ever seeing female farmers in crop circles and cow mutilation missions.

The farmers being recoverable is from the "crop circles" missions. There, civilians are sometimes hostile and it is preferable to stun, rather than kill them. But the civilians on "Strange Lifeform" missions using that armor does seem strange.

You see, what item the corpse is depends on what armor the unit wears.
I mention this beacause some armors used by X-Com do turn into recoverable items. Cyber Armor turns into Damaged Cyber Armor when the wearer is killed. Repairing it is cheaper than making a new one.

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 07, 2020, 10:46:29 pm »
It was a couple of reaper terrorists (Veteran) in a farm map, civilians were a dog and two female farmers (all three dead because I got there in a private car and I was not about to leave its premises). Since I've never seen female farmers in crop circles/cattle mutilation missions, where the abducted and brainwashed were only male, it might be that such later missions also featured female farmers at in earlier versions until they suddenly didn't and the female farmers were then allowed in strange lifeform missions, but their armor was never removed from loot tables? The fact that the female farmer analysis is a possible result from the (male) abducted farmer interrogation leads me to believe that female farmers are indeed not supposed to be in crop circle missions.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: April 08, 2020, 11:08:45 am »
My mistake, I did not realise the farmers you met were female. I've never even seen a female farmer in XCF. (other than in UFOpaedia)

Offline Mr. Mister

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 08, 2020, 01:05:14 pm »
I'm pretty sure that this is a bug with OXC directly, but I just wanted someone to confirm it because I'm not very familiar with what aren't genuine bugs and instead "intended parts of the X-COM experience":

The following screenshot depicts a situation where the soldier can't drop the expended medkit he's because the "scroll right" arrow doesn't work, probably due to the game thinking that there's still enough empty space there, despite it being impossible to drop a 2x2 item there. Clicking the "Scroll right" arrow while holding the medkit in the cursor doesn't make it scroll either. The medkit can't stack with the one already in the ground because that one still has all charges.

Should I report it in the openxcom bug tracker?

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 08, 2020, 01:15:57 pm »
ctrl click the medi-kit.