Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072206 times)

Offline zoli

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2175 on: January 12, 2020, 12:55:02 am »

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: January 12, 2020, 01:16:13 am »
Yes, but there are some damage modifiers that are better...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2177 on: January 12, 2020, 12:50:59 pm »
Also it's lighter and has other such advantages.
It's like comparing the jumpsuit to the combat vest.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: January 12, 2020, 03:18:36 pm »
Not sure if it's OpenXCom issue or XComFiles one, but since I found it while playing the latter, I'll mention it here:

Since some versions, the morale of my troopers starts to work really weird, depleting on its own for no particular reason. Right now I have mission where I set several troopers in defensive perimeter around a point and just skipping through few turns makes them start berserking or panicking. Nothing happens over those turns. No alien mind attacks, no one's bleeding, poisoned or on fire - in fact there's no fire or smoke anywhere, there's not even an enemy visible (a few that were there earlier got dispatched and are nothing but some corpses far away).

I also noticed an interesting thing that when instead of skipping through those turns, I've sent one unit into a building and then started exchanging blows with some human enemy (for some reason the enemy just started punching the trooper so I decided to do the same to him in Impromptu Ultimate Fisticuffs Tournament) that made other units who shouldn't neither hear nor see the brawl panic sooner or start shooting at each other (as per berserk, not in reaction fire).

I can understand somewhat an absolute newbie being slightly anxious, but even XCom newbie which should be kinda sorta higher quality than fresh bootcamp recruit should hold themselves steady especially when there's nothing particualrly worrying happening and in this mission it's mostly senior agents and captains. Though I am sure the doors and windows of some slum building they were covering were really offending their sense of aesthetics. I am wondering if it has something to do with the new fancy readiness stat balancing, but even at very low readiness, fully trained, full-fledged agents with some medals and succesful missions under their belts, in good health and with equipment in order shouldn't panic at the sight of an empty brick house just standing there.

SpoilerWho do you call when ghost/alien/crypticbusters are wusses?:

Also, another thing, less of an issue per se but a matter of balance. Since I've started playing the game I got some other people interested in the mod and noticed that while player metagaming (be it due to experience, repeating missions/savescumming to avoid loses and blaze through the content or looking up techtree view) can mitigate the effect of alien embassies, an average, new to the mod (even if not the original game series) player who wants to play 'fair' and just use common sense in managing research and battles without savescumming etc almost never will get to acquisition of keys before embassies and large UFOs cover the world, likely severely crippling or dooming the game to fail. Hell, even with vague metagame idea of which technologies to follow and missions to do to get the keys, embassies and UFOs starting them, even in countries that should be quite against alien incursion and happy with my organisation efforts pop up rather early and abundantly (to the point of those very large ships literally landing on top of each other in some smaller countries, and on merely Experienced difficulty).

Lastly, not sure if I haven't reported it before but my engineers have no problem with building alien-design laser rifles for some reason, but cannot wrap their heads around building regular, human ones I've picked up from ADVENT troopers. Shouldntt alien designs be off the table but their human-compatible counterparts available for production after researching how that stuff works?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 04:05:19 pm by justaround »

Offline OmniscientQ

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: January 12, 2020, 06:38:13 pm »
I can't get the X-Com Files to load at all, or even appear in my mods list. I've been happily pirating it up with X-Piratez, and I put the X-Com Files directory in right next to the Piratez data files. Yet, when I launch OXCE, it isn't listed as an option. I just get UFO Defense, Terror from the Deep, and X-Piratez. I have absolutely no idea what more I need to do.

Offline RolandVasko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: January 12, 2020, 08:45:28 pm »
Not sure if it's OpenXCom issue or XComFiles one, but since I found it while playing the latter, I'll mention it here:

Since some versions, the morale of my troopers starts to work really weird, depleting on its own for no particular reason. Right now I have mission where I set several troopers in defensive perimeter around a point and just skipping through few turns makes them start berserking or panicking. Nothing happens over those turns. No alien mind attacks, no one's bleeding, poisoned or on fire - in fact there's no fire or smoke anywhere, there's not even an enemy visible (a few that were there earlier got dispatched and are nothing but some corpses far away).

I also noticed an interesting thing that when instead of skipping through those turns, I've sent one unit into a building and then started exchanging blows with some human enemy (for some reason the enemy just started punching the trooper so I decided to do the same to him in Impromptu Ultimate Fisticuffs Tournament) that made other units who shouldn't neither hear nor see the brawl panic sooner or start shooting at each other (as per berserk, not in reaction fire).

I can understand somewhat an absolute newbie being slightly anxious, but even XCom newbie which should be kinda sorta higher quality than fresh bootcamp recruit should hold themselves steady especially when there's nothing particualrly worrying happening and in this mission it's mostly senior agents and captains. Though I am sure the doors and windows of some slum building they were covering were really offending their sense of aesthetics. I am wondering if it has something to do with the new fancy readiness stat balancing, but even at very low readiness, fully trained, full-fledged agents with some medals and succesful missions under their belts, in good health and with equipment in order shouldn't panic at the sight of an empty brick house just standing there.

SpoilerWho do you call when ghost/alien/crypticbusters are wusses?:

Also, another thing, less of an issue per se but a matter of balance. Since I've started playing the game I got some other people interested in the mod and noticed that while player metagaming (be it due to experience, repeating missions/savescumming to avoid loses and blaze through the content or looking up techtree view) can mitigate the effect of alien embassies, an average, new to the mod (even if not the original game series) player who wants to play 'fair' and just use common sense in managing research and battles without savescumming etc almost never will get to acquisition of keys before embassies and large UFOs cover the world, likely severely crippling or dooming the game to fail. Hell, even with vague metagame idea of which technologies to follow and missions to do to get the keys, embassies and UFOs starting them, even in countries that should be quite against alien incursion and happy with my organisation efforts pop up rather early and abundantly (to the point of those very large ships literally landing on top of each other in some smaller countries, and on merely Experienced difficulty).

Lastly, not sure if I haven't reported it before but my engineers have no problem with building alien-design laser rifles for some reason, but cannot wrap their heads around building regular, human ones I've picked up from ADVENT troopers. Shouldntt alien designs be off the table but their human-compatible counterparts available for production after researching how that stuff works?

..so apparently, amybe the red-bricks house is somewhat haunted, & GHOSTled, surely!

heyh, just, take it as just another topic, story, /plot arcs, (topics: Ghosts Guests, in Abandoned Haunted Ghosted Lunatic (Psychiatric) Asylum)  8) :D ;P

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fweekinweird.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F12%2Fhaunted-st.-ignatce-hospital.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fweekinweird.com%2F2016%2F12%2F14%2Fwashingtons-hidden-hauntings-abandoned-st-ignatius-hospital-lacks-fame-not-ghosts%2F&docid=g-NJz437dAgy3M&tbnid=l7mL3rl_flnaQM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjRys3c1P7mAhUUhlwKHUhZCkgQMwg7KAgwCA..i&w=620&h=400&client=firefox-b-d&bih=942&biw=1920&q=Abandoned%20Haunted%20Ghosted%20(Psychiatric%20Asylum&ved=0ahUKEwjRys3c1P7mAhUUhlwKHUhZCkgQMwg7KAgwCA&iact=mrc&uact=8

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&biw=1920&bih=942&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACYBGNT3UtBoMX3HU6ZJ5W3GH_IpPHUQlA%3A1578852720803&sa=1&ei=cGEbXtHSMJSM8gLIsqnABA&q=Abandoned+Haunted+Ghosted+Lunatic+Psychiatric+Asylum&oq=Abandoned+Haunted+Ghosted+Lunatic+Psychiatric+Asylum&gs_l=img.12...45121.50448..52224...1.0..0.73.702.10......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39.NgCUeyigvSg&ved=0ahUKEwjRys3c1P7mAhUUhlwKHUhZCkgQ4dUDCAY

1-2 pretty ghosts  :p :P :)

https://onedio.co/content/the-haunted-hospital-where-6-3-0-0-0-people-died-waverly-hills-sanatorium-16609

Offline zoli

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: January 12, 2020, 09:16:55 pm »
Also it's lighter and has other such advantages.
It's like comparing the jumpsuit to the combat vest.
Thank you. I saw the better damage modifiers but i thought the basic armor values should be better as well.

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: January 12, 2020, 11:08:43 pm »
had a bug, brought back some "living" ghosts on base 1, ghost tank was on base 2, the alert message about prison full was somewhat buggy STR_ (can't remember exactly but it was about prison type 4 and no I haven't a save game anymore)
Who you gonna call? Bug busters

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: January 12, 2020, 11:46:30 pm »
not a bug per se but there"s no Black Lotus rationale article. An oversight ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2184 on: January 13, 2020, 07:47:20 pm »

Since some versions, the morale of my troopers starts to work really weird, depleting on its own for no particular reason. (...)

Thanks for the creative report :)
But to the point: aren't you simply suffering from low Readiness?

had a bug, brought back some "living" ghosts on base 1, ghost tank was on base 2, the alert message about prison full was somewhat buggy STR_ (can't remember exactly but it was about prison type 4 and no I haven't a save game anymore)
Who you gonna call? Bug busters

Yeah, I am aware of that, but I don't know which string it is.
ALL strings start with STR_, so it's not very useful. ;)

not a bug per se but there"s no Black Lotus rationale article. An oversight ?

Not all organizations have a rationale written. In case of Black Lotus, you can get to their roots in a different way.

EDIT: Split the Readiness discussion into a new topic.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:05:20 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: January 19, 2020, 03:17:09 pm »
In my main base I can build the advanced intelligence center without first having built the normal one. I am only deducted the cost of the upgrade (money and time), not the cost of the base building + upgrade.
This isn't possible in any other bases. There I need to have built the base building first but I can still build the advanced intelligence center on a different square for merely the upgrade cost.
(GEO3.sav)

Edit:
Another, similar problem. I must be doing something wrong. Can't build virtualized HQ over normal HQ in my South American base. It says 'facility in use' even though there's enough space left in labs and stores.
(GEO4.sav)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:20:06 am by Bananas_Akimbo »

Offline The_Ranger

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: January 20, 2020, 07:12:51 pm »
Decrypted Alien Embassy Keys being consumed on non-embassy missions?

I was going to raid an embassy and equipped a decrypted key to my Skymarshal, but then a quick hybrid convoy mission popped up and I did that one first. It looks like it consumed my Embassy key even though I was going on a mission that didn't require it. Is that the intended behaviour? It looks like as it stands, one should only add a key to the craft inventory in order to use immediately, or else it will be wasted. Wouldn't it be more convenient to be able to just keep a key on the craft and have it be consumed when required?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: January 20, 2020, 07:36:31 pm »

I was going to raid an embassy and equipped a decrypted key to my Skymarshal, but then a quick hybrid convoy mission popped up and I did that one first. It looks like it consumed my Embassy key even though I was going on a mission that didn't require it. Is that the intended behaviour? It looks like as it stands, one should only add a key to the craft inventory in order to use immediately, or else it will be wasted. Wouldn't it be more convenient to be able to just keep a key on the craft and have it be consumed when required?

Save please?

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: January 20, 2020, 08:16:45 pm »

Yes they are. I reported this a while back though.
(Ironically went on a mission to get another key, so basically i swapped a decryped for an encrypted key...)
Solarius mentioned something about item mechanics iirc. Would be a small advantage to have it actually spawn, until it accidentally gets blown up or something...  ;)
(since if not used it´d be recovered for later use)

Offline Cenobite30

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: January 20, 2020, 10:49:38 pm »
Hello! I've been playing for a couple of weeks now, though I'm a first time poster. I have a recurring crash every time I play the Exalt HQ mission. I can't seem to figure out what triggers the crash, but I am unable to load my game (saved in-mission) after the crash. At first, I was playing a version of the game from about a month ago, and attempting to load the game after the crash would cause the program to crash. So I updated to the latest version, and now when I try to load that game it will not crash, but it will not let me load it either. Instead I get an error message saying "yaml-cpp: error at line 895, column 7: end of verbatim tag not found". Opening up the save file and looking at line 895 (the last line) shows "!<" (without the quotation marks). Removing this line and attempting to load the game leads to automatic game over where the aliens take over the Earth.

I can post the save file and my log, but I can't seem to find how to do it. Is it a privilege I don't have on account of being new to the board?

Edit: Just checked my version from the save file. Previously I was playing 6.3.1, and I just upgraded to 6.3.4.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:53:22 pm by Cenobite30 »