Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071440 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #2100 on: November 24, 2019, 11:56:05 am »
The issue is the name. Why would whoever made it name it after X-COM? Or are the scientists working for me labeling it as such, when it was clearly captured from Osiron?
If it is intended to be available without being researched first, I suggest renaming it to "Human Flying Drone". That way, it is possible someone else made it, while not preventing X-Com from making it as well.

You have a good point. I renamed it to just to "Flying Drone".

Maybe a more inventive name would be in order, for both the hybrid and the human variants. Especially that the enemy variant isn't even used by the actual aliens. It is more of a legacy thing from the FMP.

Chtonite minibase and Hybrid Control Center count as an alien base or not? Capturing them didn't gave to me Stormtrooper commendations.

Well it should, but unfortunately, this is hardcoded. I can't make a custom mission to be eligible for this commendation.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: November 26, 2019, 08:54:43 pm »
Hello, I am back with the names thing.
I got a person with Czech flag, named Ejvind Obel. Name, which, when I checked the files, turned out to be Danish.

I think I discovered the issue, and it is silly.
Since I am czech, my windows consider "Ch" a character, one that is just after "H" in alphabet.
This results in Chinese.nam being ordered between Hungarian.nam and Icelandic.nam, rather than between Canadian.nam and Congolese.nam.

Since I found no reference to the flags in the .nam file, I assume it takes the flag files in the same order as the .nam files, which results in all nationalities between Chinese and Hungarian getting the flag previous in alphabet, with the Chinese getting the Hungarian flag.

I will fix it for future soldiers by renaming the .nam files to also start with numbers.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: November 26, 2019, 11:20:50 pm »
renaming the folders with numbers is a good idea all around to keep the flags in order.

Offline AgitateAntelope

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: November 30, 2019, 03:29:38 am »
Typo: Golden Lady Origins "particles of unknown nature of function" should be "particles of unknown nature or function"

Inconsistency: I have managed to obtain several X-Com Flying Drones from an Osiron crate on a (sailing) cargo ship. I cannot research them and haven't even researched alien power systems yet, which is several steps before X-Com Flying drones. Could be discontinued, rogue X-Com branch  making them :D

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: November 30, 2019, 04:02:54 pm »
Encountered an apparently known bug... which crashes the game.
happened on hitting psy ops with stun rod. (probably last enemy. had taken some hits before)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: November 30, 2019, 11:22:56 pm »
Encountered an apparently known bug... which crashes the game.
happened on hitting psy ops with stun rod. (probably last enemy. had taken some hits before)

Thank you.
I didn't try it yet, but if I can reproduce, maybe we can finally fix this... it's been open for years now.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: December 01, 2019, 01:45:49 am »
was not the last enemy, 1 left. Next try worked flawless.
This must be a really odd condition... o_O
Whats surprising me the most, you can identify the error.
(just out of interest, what is the exact problem/line of code that crashes here?)

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: December 01, 2019, 03:10:10 am »
Weird research thing...
Just finished Sonic focussing. (Had sonic heavy cannon already)
However, I´m just researching focussed sonic heavy cannon clip, but can already produce it... pretty sure that should not be in this order.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: December 01, 2019, 05:30:50 pm »
I've catched this bug before base defence mission.
Seems like there are some problems during generation the map of X-base containing Lunar Control Room. When I had loaded the game and dismantled LCR, UFO assaulted my base without any problems.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: December 02, 2019, 01:44:11 pm »
A bug that causes a CTD:

Sometimes when I mis-click and try to create a new base in the geoscape, but press the ESC key to cancel. Sometimes I get a CTD, sometimes I don't. Last time it happens was with OXCE v 6.2.

I'll try to post the relevant data next time it occurs.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: December 02, 2019, 03:11:31 pm »
A bug that causes a CTD:
Sometimes when I mis-click and try to create a new base in the geoscape, but press the ESC key to cancel. Sometimes I get a CTD, sometimes I don't. Last time it happens was with OXCE v 6.2.
I'll try to post the relevant data next time it occurs.

Can you share your options.cfg, and a log file if you still have it?

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: December 02, 2019, 10:40:46 pm »
The log file from the crash is no longer available. Attached is the options file.

When I get home I can attempt to replicate the error, and if successful, I'll post again.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: December 03, 2019, 02:17:07 pm »
Regarding the Asylum mission: The music file is funny, but after 45 minutes on that map, it almost made me have to go the asylum  ;D
Especially after (at the very end) I finally realized I had forgotten to take the right equipment with me to finish the mission....
And had to reload... I muted the music then.... ;)
Aaaanyway:
Maybe you shoud try something like György Ligeti's "Requiem" (used in e.g. OMEN and 2001:Space Odyssey), its way more spooky and well... maybe less repeating.
Or something from the Doom 1 music for the PSX, some of the most creepy and good songs i know (for games).

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: December 03, 2019, 02:23:51 pm »
it almost made me have to go the asylum  ;D

I think that was the plan. :D

Offline Bananas_Akimbo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: December 03, 2019, 09:43:59 pm »
Regarding the Asylum mission: The music file is funny, but after 45 minutes on that map, it almost made me have to go the asylum  ;D
Especially after (at the very end) I finally realized I had forgotten to take the right equipment with me to finish the mission....
And had to reload... I muted the music then.... ;)
Aaaanyway:
Maybe you shoud try something like György Ligeti's "Requiem" (used in e.g. OMEN and 2001:Space Odyssey), its way more spooky and well... maybe less repeating.
Or something from the Doom 1 music for the PSX, some of the most creepy and good songs i know (for games).

Hmm, I like that track. When the mission was over I immediately had to look it up and listen to it for another hour or so :P
Now, whenever I hear an appropriate beat, my mind keeps adding "that boy needs therapy; purely psychosomatic; that boy needs therapy".

More importantly, I feel it fits the mood of the asylum well, since the enemies don't really harm you and it's a pretty unique (and one-off) mission anyway.
Combined with the briefing, the music immediately communicated to me, that I was in no danger, despite my poor preparation and could just take it easy.
I had some good, relaxed ghost-busting fun, nothing spooky there.