Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1071603 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1500 on: November 13, 2018, 11:33:07 am »
Hi all,

I'm new but have been an X-Com fan for a long time, from the old XcomUFO and Strategy Core websites but rarely post. I've been playing this mod with OpenXcomEx at Superhuman and encountered some bugs or weird behavior:

1) Wall Bug - There is map bug in that the left most alien is trapped in that space unless I shoot the wall. See the picture and save file to check. I moved one of the Agents to the wall I had to shoot to gain access into that area. AFAIK, there is no way to simply walk in there.

2) Save15 - When using TASER PISTOL, there is an AIM bug? If i walk towards an enemy, i have to be already facing him to AIM and shoot at him correctly. If he is off my actual line of site and I click AIM on him, the player would turn around but off by about 45 degrees and mostly miss.

I am using the Oct 28 branch of OXE and the current mod linked in the downloads post. The only other mods I am using are the PSX Sound FX, UFOCF Soundtrack and the updated Geoscape icons from the mod forums.

Appreciate looking into this and keep up the great work.

Make X-Com Great Again!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

1/ this is not a bug... it's just a result of map generation RNG... modders expect you to shoot your way through to otherwise inaccesible areas

Note: similar things could happen also in vanilla, very rarely but could (for example on polar maps with lots of water)

2/ if you are just 1 tile away from an enemy, they have a chance to use CQC (close quarters combat) and make you miss your shot... you will be informed about that by a red flashing window and a message (same way as when the game informs you about not enough TUs or no ammo, etc.)

This mechanic is new to OpenXcom Extended and when you see it for the first time it makes no sense... well, for me it doesn't make any sense even after seeing it a thousand times... but the modder insists it is "more realistic" (which I respectfully completely disagree with). In any case, it's there and you should be aware of it.

M.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:34:38 am by Meridian »

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 13, 2018, 11:49:09 am »
I am not sure if it is realistic (but I think if you come with gun to close quaters someone can make it harder for you to hit him) but it eliminates tactic to come close to alien and auto shot him because you cannot miss from next tile :P now you can and I think that mechanic is very good

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1502 on: November 13, 2018, 11:58:30 am »
I think a safer word would be "cinematic", as things mostly aren't realistic in any turn-based game. ;) The reason mentioned by Niewiem is the most important, the rest is montage. Everything is explained in the Ufopaedia.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 13, 2018, 12:32:54 pm »
because you cannot miss from next tile :P

Just to bust some urban legends:
You can miss from next tile... I was regularly missing (sometimes even 2 out of 3 shots in autoshot) in Area 51.

Being 1 tile away does not guarantee a hit in xcom/openxcom and it never did.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 13, 2018, 01:59:39 pm »
Still, the odds for this are small; if you have the opportunity, you will always choose to shoot point blank. (At least I would.)
And thrusting your gun down your opponent's throat before pulling the trigger is fine in a Tarantino movie, but not necessarily in combat simulation.

Offline Valken

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 13, 2018, 02:17:19 pm »
Hi Meridian, Solarius and Niewiem,

Thanks for the warm welcome and explanation of the game mechanics. I will do some more ballistics testing to see how each gun operates. I was mainly carrying the TASER to capture the enemy, like in the old X-Com but didn't know about the CQC mechanics affecting AIM shots.

Also, can I safely update the OXCE nightly executibles or is that not recommended to continue an existing campaign?

I'm in my 3rd month now and just starting to see the UFOs come up so am getting so really invested and don't want to start over again...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:49:26 pm by Valken »

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: November 13, 2018, 02:27:28 pm »
Updating OXCE/XCom-Files should not be a problem. Just remember never to do it when on battlescape save(bigger chances of something going wrong) and it should work properly.
If it would require game restart update should say it explicitly but I do not remember when was last time when that was needed :)

Those UFOs are just scouts - do not worry you have about 2 years before invasion will start.

Offline Valken

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 13, 2018, 03:15:50 pm »
Thanks Niewiem.

I was getting worried and was wondering how the heck Mulder and Sculley would handle ETs when they can't even put down those pesky zombies!

Offline Barth Gimble

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 18, 2018, 09:23:06 am »
a) On the Pharaoh's Tomb mission, the alarm screen that pops up when this appears says STR_PHARAOH_TOMB_ALTAR, but when checking out the mission briefing screen it correctly says "Pharaoh's Tomb"

b) The opposite of what I mentioned last weekend-- on the mission where Reptoids are building their tower of doom that kills every living thing in the vicinity, that seems like a mission where Hazmat/Toxi-Suit/protective gear should be required, but any outfit is currently allowed.

c) On the "Ooze Infestation" mission, there should be an "Allowed Outfits" notice or even just a mention in the briefing about outfits. I was surprised to see the guys I deployed changed into Hazmat suits on arrival. If I'd known the mission was a toxic atmosphere, I would have sent a different team from another base who are always ready in Toxi-Suits for such missions.

d) Maybe not an actual bug, but I'm getting pretty far along into the game at this point and I hardly ever get any Alien Electronics items. I've only found maybe a dozen so far. I'm not saying they should grow on trees, but on the other hand there are some manufacture items I'd like to explore but it can't happen because I have no spare electronics.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: November 18, 2018, 01:32:54 pm »
a) On the Pharaoh's Tomb mission, the alarm screen that pops up when this appears says STR_PHARAOH_TOMB_ALTAR, but when checking out the mission briefing screen it correctly says "Pharaoh's Tomb"

Thanks, indeed this string was missing.

b) The opposite of what I mentioned last weekend-- on the mission where Reptoids are building their tower of doom that kills every living thing in the vicinity, that seems like a mission where Hazmat/Toxi-Suit/protective gear should be required, but any outfit is currently allowed.

There are no restrictions on this mission and I have never planned to add them, since the damage isn't as bad as directly threatening human life. But perhaps I should give it some thought, since it's not a bad idea.

c) On the "Ooze Infestation" mission, there should be an "Allowed Outfits" notice or even just a mention in the briefing about outfits. I was surprised to see the guys I deployed changed into Hazmat suits on arrival. If I'd known the mission was a toxic atmosphere, I would have sent a different team from another base who are always ready in Toxi-Suits for such missions.

Works for me:

d) Maybe not an actual bug, but I'm getting pretty far along into the game at this point and I hardly ever get any Alien Electronics items. I've only found maybe a dozen so far. I'm not saying they should grow on trees, but on the other hand there are some manufacture items I'd like to explore but it can't happen because I have no spare electronics.

Alien Electronics have always been difficult to find. In fact, it's getting easier with newer versions. I will keep adding more opportunities to get this item.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:34:49 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 18, 2018, 06:10:21 pm »
STR_BLACKOPS_SMARTRIFLE_AA_CLIP has a requiresBuy entry in items.rul, but no associated buy price. Is this intended?

Offline BlackStaff

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: November 18, 2018, 06:18:24 pm »
STR_BLACKOPS_SMARTRIFLE_AA_CLIP has a requiresBuy entry in items.rul, but no associated buy price. Is this intended?
Yes !
AA = Alien Alliage (Tritanium) = imanufactured !
See in manufacture_XCOMFILES.rul ! ;)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: November 18, 2018, 10:27:12 pm »
Yes !
AA = Alien Alliage (Tritanium) = imanufactured !
See in manufacture_XCOMFILES.rul ! ;)
I'd suggest you check out the other alloy munition entries, manufactured or otherwise ;)

They either have a defined price or no requiresBuy flag. In this case the flag does nothing since it has no defined buy price and defaults to the item not being available for purchase, hence my question if the entry is intended.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: November 18, 2018, 11:22:25 pm »
Just noticed this while browsing ufopedia entries:

STR_HYBRID_CONTROLLERS is listed under field equipment. Shouldn't this be under reports or earth lore?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: November 18, 2018, 11:25:30 pm »
Yes, thank you, both bugs fixed.