aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1099795 times)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1485 on: November 05, 2018, 02:01:07 am »
Umm, this is Antarctica.

10N latitude is norhtern tropics.

I guess there's some confusion with the order of coordinates. 76W is longtitude, whereas 76S is latitude and indeed antarctica.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #1486 on: November 05, 2018, 01:34:24 pm »
Unless OXCE changes the definitions from the way X-Com WORLD.DAT handled it, latitude should be -85 and longitude of 2307 to put it in the location defined by krautbernd. Ufopaedia article here has information on how locations are defined.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1487 on: November 05, 2018, 03:07:12 pm »
I know how locations are defined, but I don't know where Maracaibo is. There are several places with that name.
The issue is, nobody is giving me correct cooedinates... Including your "longitude of 2307". :P So I kind of stopped caring.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: November 05, 2018, 04:35:24 pm »
Coelacanth aammo again: no ammo underwater. Looks like wrong item category.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: November 05, 2018, 05:37:21 pm »
Unless OXCE changes the definitions from the way X-Com WORLD.DAT handled it, latitude should be -85 and longitude of 2307 to put it in the location defined by krautbernd. Ufopaedia article here has information on how locations are defined.

OpenXCOM changes things, since it uses actual degrees instead of whatever the original uses. The wiki also states that the location definition for cities hasn't been found (yet).

-85, 2307 puts the city at 85°N and whatever 2307 rolls over to. That's in the Arctic.

There are two "problems" with how OpenXCOM handles coordinates:
  • The ruleset lists longitude first, while debug mode lists latitude first
  • Negative latitude values indicate °N, not °S
Listing longitude before latitude makes sense from a mathematical or programmers point of view (x before y), but geographic coordinates are standardized (ISO 6709) as to list northing/southing first. This is complicated by the fact that projected systems might list easting/westing first (UTM for example). I have no idea though why OpenXCOM uses negative values to indicate north. That's just counterintuitive.

OpenXCOM accepts positive and negative numbers for longitude, so 50°W can be entered as either -50 or 310.

I know how locations are defined, but I don't know where Maracaibo is. There are several places with that name.
The issue is, nobody is giving me correct cooedinates... Including your "longitude of 2307". :P So I kind of stopped caring.

I've only been able to find one city named "Maracaibo" that's located in Venezuela (at least using Wikipedia). The correct coordinates for the region.rul are -71.63, -71.63, -10.65, -10.65 or 288.37, 288.37, -10.65 - which unfortunately puts the city inside Lake Maracaibo in-game though. I'd suggest using
288, 288, -10.65, -10.65 or -72, -72, -10.65, -10.65
instead.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:25:44 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: November 05, 2018, 08:20:53 pm »

Considering the original marker for Maracaibo is in South America, and these markers usually refers to cities, it is safe to presume the marker intention is to point at the largest city in South America with the name of Maracaibo. See map link.

Thus the location I put on the screenshot I posted earlier is the correct location. My mistake was not knowing the game coordinate units, which was corrected by krautbernd.

I think it's even feasible that there was a typo in the original latitude coordinates that pushed the city location further south of this original location, albeit on the wrong shore of Lake Maracaibo. But what do we know? Maybe this is the real city location. This is an alternate reality anyways!  :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 05, 2018, 08:30:08 pm »
Is this good?

Oh, and Nord - thanks for the notification on Coelacanth ammo.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:32:16 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: November 05, 2018, 10:30:05 pm »
Is this good?

Yes!
Thanks!
My OCD can rest in peace for now  :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: November 06, 2018, 12:30:08 am »
Yes!
Thanks!
My OCD can rest in peace for now  :D

Mine too. XD

KZad Bhat

« Reply #1494 on: November 07, 2018, 12:27:46 pm »
Maracaibo is an interesting location, mostly for the lake itself. It has frequent and severe thunderstorms, 270 or more a year most often, with several bright strikes visible from practically anywhere on the lake. That's why I at least knew the general placement, as I'd read an article about the lightning. But I'd never noticed it on the map at all before.

And as far as calling out my bad coordinate, my coordinates are only bad because map designations have been changed . . . and you'll note I specifically said it was under the condition no change had been made.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: November 07, 2018, 06:15:12 pm »
Maracaibo is an interesting location, mostly for the lake itself. It has frequent and severe thunderstorms, 270 or more a year most often, with several bright strikes visible from practically anywhere on the lake. That's why I at least knew the general placement, as I'd read an article about the lightning. But I'd never noticed it on the map at all before.

That's a very interesting piece of information. I regret to admit I have never heard of Maracaibo before.

And as far as calling out my bad coordinate, my coordinates are only bad because map designations have been changed . . . and you'll note I specifically said it was under the condition no change had been made.

I'm not sure what change you mean, I can't recall any changes in the code... I only pointed out that longitude 2307 doesn't exist, since it only goes up to 360, so I assumed it was a typo of some kind.

Offline OXC_temp

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: November 11, 2018, 12:09:52 am »
STR_KNIFE is using floor sprite 23, which resembles a motion scanner.
Recommend instead using the same one as STR_COMBAT_KNIFE, which is 73.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:13:04 am by OXC_temp »

Offline Barth Gimble

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: November 11, 2018, 11:41:59 am »
I got a "Small Reptoid Settlement" mission, and on the briefing screen the button for "Allowed Outfits" was shown-- but it seemed to list pretty much every possible armor as allowed. Maybe some parameter or flag needs changed to prevent this from showing (or if armor is supposed to be restricted, I don't think it's working).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: November 11, 2018, 12:07:31 pm »
STR_KNIFE is using floor sprite 23, which resembles a motion scanner.
Recommend instead using the same one as STR_COMBAT_KNIFE, which is 73.

You are right! Probably a typo on my part. Sorry.

I got a "Small Reptoid Settlement" mission, and on the briefing screen the button for "Allowed Outfits" was shown-- but it seemed to list pretty much every possible armor as allowed. Maybe some parameter or flag needs changed to prevent this from showing (or if armor is supposed to be restricted, I don't think it's working).

This mission is currently being overhauled, so this problem should be fixed.
Currently the reason for this filter is to prevent you from taking 2x2 armours, but in the future version it will be a craft limitation instead.

Offline Valken

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: November 13, 2018, 07:37:58 am »
Hi all,

I'm new but have been an X-Com fan for a long time, from the old XcomUFO and Strategy Core websites but rarely post. I've been playing this mod with OpenXcomEx at Superhuman and encountered some bugs or weird behavior:

1) Wall Bug - There is map bug in that the left most alien is trapped in that space unless I shoot the wall. See the picture and save file to check. I moved one of the Agents to the wall I had to shoot to gain access into that area. AFAIK, there is no way to simply walk in there.

2) Save15 - When using TASER PISTOL, there is an AIM bug? If i walk towards an enemy, i have to be already facing him to AIM and shoot at him correctly. If he is off my actual line of site and I click AIM on him, the player would turn around but off by about 45 degrees and mostly miss.

I am using the Oct 28 branch of OXE and the current mod linked in the downloads post. The only other mods I am using are the PSX Sound FX, UFOCF Soundtrack and the updated Geoscape icons from the mod forums.

Appreciate looking into this and keep up the great work.

Make X-Com Great Again!