Author Topic: Bugs & Crash Reports  (Read 1433602 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Bugs & Crash Reports
« on: November 02, 2015, 05:10:03 pm »
Well, instead of all posting crash reports in the main topic, I thought it might be better to make a new one, where we can all share our evidence, so as to make it easier if ever someone wants to look at it.

The BASIC, MINIMUM requirement for a report is a save, with a description of what to do to get a crash. Ideally something as simple as "press end turn, shooting happens then the game crashes". Try to make a save as close to the crash as possible (ie just before pressing end turn) so that testers don't have much to do.

Extra info that is useful:
1 - Screenshot of the offending unit
2 - Info about the offending unit and how to circumvent the bug.

To get the extra info, it is sometimes useful to activate debug mode. You do that by going in your config folder (check here for where that could be on your computer), open the file called options.cfg, find the place where it says debug: false and replace it by debug: true. Then, in the game, before pressing the end turn button, press control-d, to activate the debug mode. This will allow you to see the whole map and watch as the enemy takes their turn.

Find which unit is active just before the game crashes and take a screenshot. Note the position of the offending unit, and then you can use that to find it in your save. For example, if the unit was shown as being at location (35,42,1) when you clicked on it (as shown in my screenshot below), you can then search your save for "- 35" and should soon find a place that looks like:

Code: [Select]
      position:

which should refer to an enemy unit (something like STR_SPARTAN_RIFLEMAN or STR_SECTIOD_ENGINEER) Then note the id of that unit (typically something like 1000012), as it will allow to see all its items by searching for owner: 1000012. You can remove these items from the save, and see if the crash still happens.

Below is my first report:
1 - Save at deployment. Game will crash after Spartan Rifleman at 35/42/1 opens the door to the civilian.
2 - Screenshot of offending rifleman
3 - Removing equipment from the save did not help. Probably terrain issue?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:10:39 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Pogrom Crash reports
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:49:27 pm »
All I could divine is that it is him who causes the crash - if you force him to change route or disable him, it doesn't. Sprite definitions and equips seem to be fine. Swapping the unit for a different, non-spartan unit also didn't change anything... Sorry but I have no idea. There is another spartan in a similiar situation and he just opens the door and fires. It's like this one seems to want to go, finds out a civilian blocks the only way, ragequits :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:07:29 pm »
Yeah it's very odd. I tried to remove equipment too and it did not do anything. I thought it was a good report to make. Maybe it's something with the routes? or some spartans are just hard wired with black hole generators... In the meantime, I will try to spawn a different terror.

Hopefully we can accumulate a bunch of reports and someone can look into it!

Offline Axebeard

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:27:30 pm »
So I'm not sure of the issue, or even how to recreate it, but on this save (Mutant Pogrom vs DOOM enemies) the game keeps crashing during the enemy turn. There are some enemies to the South West of my units, it seems that there are semi-invisible Hell Barons/ Hell Knights, that you can only really see when you kill them. What I've noticed is that after the Hell Knight moves, the game does a CTD. It's happened three times so far, and I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like it only happens IF YOU CAN SEE the Hell Knight moving.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 12:48:28 am »
Are you sure you have the latest version of the mod? I haven't tried your save but it sounds a lot like what Dioxine fixed recently:

Found that damn bug. Wrong spritesheet size. Replace the following entry in the Piratez.rul:

Code: [Select]
  - type: DEM_8.PCK
    subX: 32
    subY: 40
    width: 512
    height: 440
    files:
      0: Resources/Sprites/DEM_8.png

(the original has height: 200)

Offline Axebeard

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 01:22:36 am »
I'm not sure, but I'll check.

*Edit:
Where is the official latest version being hosted? Because I'm sure I've seen different downloads in different places. I believe the one I'm using is from the OXC Mods page.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:40:04 am »
Latest Version is on the Mod Site.

But keep an eye on this thread.

Dioxine very often posts Important Patches & Critical Fixes in the thread as he (and others) find them.

Offline Axebeard

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 01:52:17 am »
I checked and I am indeed using the latest version.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 02:18:04 am »
You might want to check the thread then - some patches have been added since the last update.

Offline Axebeard

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 02:25:33 am »
Oy vey.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
abs
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 06:47:47 pm »
CTD at end of turn. First time it is happening with Mutons/Mercenaries.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: abs
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 07:58:46 pm »
Hmm... the same suspect building as in many crashes before. I'll have to upgrade this to Hobbes' latest terrain version (once 0.8 redux comes out). Alternatively, the crash was caused by your cheats, but that's less likely. Also I don't have your cheat-mods so replicating some bugs will be impossible (this seems not to be the case here, though).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:07:18 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: abs
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 09:07:08 pm »
Hmm... the same suspect building as in many crashes before. I'll have to upgrade this to Hobbes' latest terrain version (once 0.8 redux comes out). Alternatively, the crash was caused by your cheats, but that's less likely. Also I don't have your cheat-mods so replicating some bugs will be impossible (this seems not to be the case here, though).

Doubt it is any of my additions...

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 01:29:33 am »
I'm interested in any save with reproducible bug (preferably from vainilla xpiratez).
Right now I'm working on bug fix version of OXCE and would be good to have bugs to fix (or at least blame someone else for them :D ).

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Bugs & Crash Reports
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 03:23:06 am »
Not much of a bug, just a possible Typo in the Lang file:

STR_ETHEREAL_SOLDIER_UFOPEDIA: "This crature,..

Should it be "creature" ??