aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3611225 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.95C - 29 Oct - Interfaces & Critical Fixes
« Reply #1155 on: October 29, 2015, 06:00:29 pm »
As far as I know, all possible missions are written in the save, then every time one is picked, it will be removed from further saves. The game assumes that if a mission is not listed in the save, it has happened already. This means new missions (which had never been possible before) will remain impossible as they are not listed in saves from older version.

If that was 100% true, you wouldn't have recurring missions. In my current run, I've had the Resource Extraction mission spawn thrice over the span of 1.5 game years. Or am I missing something? I thought that only ONGOING missions were stored in a save... keep in mind that some missions can go on for 2 months or longer.
Even if that was true, most of these new enemies will be added to Pogrom mission, so they won't be affected. The only real problem might be finding a Reticulan Elder, who as for now, can only appear in a Crackdown after you shoot up some Reticulan ships, and there indeed will be a new mission starring him.

In any case, this cannot be a reason to not add more missions. If you want more piratin', don't linger, go to Cydonia, wait for a new version, start a new run :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:05:13 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 29, 2015, 06:42:46 pm »
I am pretty sure it is how it works. The save keeps the ongoing missions under "AlienMissions", but also the possible missions under something like "AlienStrategy". I remember Meridian going through things to find which mission he had missed during the first two game months of his LP, basically crossing off the missions that were in saves both before and after (meaning they hadn't happened yet) and finding which had disappeared.

I am, of course, not saying that this is a reason not to add new missions or new races! I will happily attack and loot more varied targets  :D

BUT, I am saying that, when you tweak alien missions, a word of warning might be nice, so that those of us who have an ongoing game and want to keep it updated can go into their saves and add the missions as missions which did not happen. I don't have much time to play and am only in.. June or July of my first year after 2 months of playing, so the option of finishing and restarting is not really one, and aborting is not so much fun since you end up playing the early game many times and never seeing much new stuff.

Also, oddly enough, infiltration missions are awesome in Piratez. Funding is very low any ways, so losing a country doesn't matter much. However, the shipping traffic (all of which land!) is incredible. You can make a LOT of instant money from looting, an amount that easily compensates for ~two years of funding lost from that country. Not really a question, but more of a comment/realisation.

Also, did you change missions so that the happen where you have bases? I have been VERY lucky otherwise, as I have had a regular (non-pogrom) mission spawned in my starting region every month so far. If yes, that's a very nice touch and makes it feel like the planet is more active.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 29, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »
Here are some cases when enemies would stay in the area untill i go find them myself
https://imgur.com/0URRQWs
https://imgur.com/Z14WSO2
I was there in about 8 or 9 turns
Remember the tank glitch i had where enemies would go in the top flourss i my base and stay here untill i had to use debug?
Something like that but instead of them being stuck its them being lazy to move their ass towards my bozars

Another one is the Church zealots in a fighter. They stay in the cockpit not moving until i enter and finish them.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: October 29, 2015, 06:56:31 pm »
That's the routes of the fighter. It is a craft where enemies are intended to wait and ambush you. Not sure why though.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1159 on: October 29, 2015, 07:23:41 pm »
I'm not adding any missions without writing it in the changelog, so no much need to worry.
About the fighter - so, it'd be better if they rushed outside and get themselves killed by numerically superior force waiting in ambush? Or get blown by landmines? Naturally the best they can do is to bunker up and hope for the best. Also, some of them do leave the fighter, I've suffered some losses to such skirmishers who go out and attack the advancing party, and their Gauss Pistols ensure they have a good chance of causing casaulties.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 29, 2015, 09:44:02 pm »
What I'm not sure about is why they stay inside more than the crew of other crafts. By that reasoning, shouldn't the crew of all crafts stay in instead of wandering about and getting picked off one by one?

Crash one: Our large scout got shot down by pirates! Scatter off! It's everybody for themselves and hopefully someone makes it!

Crash two: Our fighter got shot down by pirates! Stay together! We can hold 'em off if we're all in here!

What caused the change in attitude? In fact, wouldn't it be more likely for civilians to cower in their craft, protected by their security crew? You can make the story either ways:

units outside:
- mixed crew: civilians panic and ran out to chance it. They don't have the discipline to wait it out and ambush from their craft
- security crews: They're fighters and decided that they would scatter and surprise the enemy as they advance, instead of being in a predictable location and giving the choice of timing to their enemy.

units inside:
- mixed crew: civilians cower in, protected by the security personnel. They are hoping to get rescued before they get breached.
- security crew: They chose to make a last stand, ambush the enemy as it comes in and takes as many as possible with them. Maybe they'll last long enough.

In fact, from the above, I would say it sounds more plausible to have the crews with civilians stay inside (cowering in is the designated civilian response in case of fighting), and the fighty crews to be outside (better guns + reactions = better opportunity to reaction snipe someone in the open. They're warriors, they can fight and don't want to leave the initiative to the enemy)

Offline jmf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 30, 2015, 02:02:20 am »
Hi Dioxine, it happen again, game crashed during a progrom :C, i'm stuck in that save game it seems

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #1162 on: October 30, 2015, 02:11:03 am »
Hi Dioxine, it happen again, game crashed during a progrom :C, i'm stuck in that save game it seems

Can you attach the save game and brief explanation to replicate the crash?

Offline jmf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 30, 2015, 02:49:01 am »
Can you attach the save game and brief explanation to replicate the crash?

i was just playing, searching for demons i click end turn , waiting for hidden movement, BOOM back to the desktop

Offline DeWolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 30, 2015, 07:32:28 am »
Note on the latest release uh I'm sorry for not being much help here but I'm currently trying to participate in a pogrom but this one in particular in the eurosyndicate any time I try to get in it closes the game. Any idea why this happens?

Edit:nevermind this was for B
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:43:53 am by DeWolf »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 30, 2015, 09:43:21 am »
i was just playing, searching for demons i click end turn , waiting for hidden movement, BOOM back to the desktop

Consistent with the Dark Ones. Edit the save file to continue.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1166 on: October 30, 2015, 09:56:36 am »

Found that damn bug. Wrong spritesheet size. Replace the following entry in the Piratez.rul:

Code: [Select]
  - type: DEM_8.PCK
    subX: 32
    subY: 40
    width: 512
    height: 440
    files:
      0: Resources/Sprites/DEM_8.png

(the original has height: 200)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 30, 2015, 02:20:43 pm »
Found that damn bug. Wrong spritesheet size. Replace the following entry in the Piratez.rul:

Code: [Select]
  - type: DEM_8.PCK
    subX: 32
    subY: 40
    width: 512
    height: 440
    files:
      0: Resources/Sprites/DEM_8.png

(the original has height: 200)

Just to be sure - we should change height from 440 to 200. Will test when I get back home.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 30, 2015, 02:49:02 pm »
Oh, oh, can we have plague doctor costume for the gals? Or the mooks? The Ghouls could wear something like this!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbc1E-XR4SY

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: October 30, 2015, 03:13:36 pm »
''Now with a coustom .exe''
Really?After all this time its still not spelled correcly?