Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3680192 times)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99I1 - 26 Dec - Spirit of Christmas
« Reply #5115 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:26 am »
Above all, it is to avoid having to launch the manufacture of parts such as the light generator, speed up time, return to the factory, start the manufacture of the ship, see that parts are missing, buy or transfer parts, wait for them to arrive, relaunch the construction of the ship, speed up time, make a mission, transfer the ship once finished elsewhere, etc....

i have to make this dozens times for sabre and dragon. I'm sorry, I find that quite unfunny

I can understand your point and yes the mod is sometimes quite heavy in the management-system (e. g. removing all gear from your dropship and add it to the new ship).
I could imagine to have crafts build out of money itself but that would be too abusive for workshop money-generation. We got m1a1 tanks to mass-produce for the world as T3 tech.
You have to remember that this is a total-conversion mod based on a very old game made for MS DOS. An user-friedly User-Interface was luxury.
Ever played the first Master of Orion? = Like piloting a russian nuclear submarine.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: January 26, 2018, 06:26:05 pm »
I can understand your point and yes the mod is sometimes quite heavy in the management-system (e. g. removing all gear from your dropship and add it to the new ship).
Hit F5/F9 the next time your in the craft equipment screen. The amount of suffering that saves is ungodly. :p

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: January 27, 2018, 02:00:19 am »

Yep but I think players need to take a step back and consider just how much of an undertaking it is to build a Craft, in terms of what it gives you. This isnt something that you need to do often, it probably happens even less often than building a power armor or hwp so as long as you gather the parts efficiently its worth the hassle for what it gives you.

If you've got your eye on building a certain craft, load it up in the manufacture screen and see what it requires. Everything that you're fuzzy on that you dont normally use (cloaking devices? fusion batteries? old warship hulls?) make sure you Order those things and put them in storage somewhere that has surplus space, that way when you finally get around to Making a craft you can just route the parts to where they need to go.
(speaking of ships I skip making any of the advanced interceptors, and go straight for the Nightmare, but thats just me, the barracuda and the other one do not exist to me)

Also I can vouch for 90s games not being particularly intuitive on management screens. Xcom is quite a gem when it comes to them ironically, the 80 item craft limit was abit self limiting, and switching crafts for everything back then was not a common issue (ie, happens only once pretty much, when you get the Avenger, all the stuff in the Skyranger goes there).

The original Fallout 1 game for example had an annoying problem of it taking awhile to pick up alot of items. Any stack items moved just fine, but if there was a big list of stuff in a stash or on a dead guy you'd have to select each different item. In Fallout 2 I guess black isle realized this was tedious from having done research playthroughs of the first game and they installed a "Take All" button... which made FO2 pretty comfy and sublime.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: January 27, 2018, 03:26:14 am »
(speaking of ships I skip making any of the advanced interceptors, and go straight for the Nightmare, but thats just me, the barracuda and the other one do not exist to me)

Same with me; I go from the Hunter-Killer straight to the Nightmare, and then the Saber once I complete my Higher Studies.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: January 27, 2018, 07:08:32 pm »
May i suggest removing zombie missions for the first couple of months? I just had a very long and boring church raid at the start of a second month. Once i realised there were no strixes and i ran out of ammo i just gave everyone a pocket las-charger and skipped turns until my firing line reaction fired them to death. Yeah you can melee them way faster but why would i risk that with low stat gals who wouldn't have enough TU\stamina to 100% kill them after a rush.
Also idk what difficulty is the game balanced around? I play on Blackbeard, if there's supposed to a be a strix spawn on the 5th one, then this is irrelevant, at least there would be some challenge to justify the grind.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: January 27, 2018, 08:57:41 pm »
If you're willing to play on 'Jack Sparrow' difficulty, you get the maximum spawns of enemies to fight AND each enemy has increased armor value without about 15-20% increasement across the board. Hard to kill enemies are even harder to kill this way. Unless you twitch-stream it to 'impress' people how awesome and brutally hard this game can be, just don't and play black beard.

Zombies are meant to be massive bullet sponges and early weaponry is quite bad in dealing with beefy, selfhealing targets.
It's also not much of a penalty if you snatch the loot manually and just run for the craft.

Offline the Ring Dang Doo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: January 28, 2018, 12:06:33 am »
I'm playing "Raynerd Must Survive," and I've cleared all the areas I know how to reach --- I always keep a hammer and a pickaxe on my craft, so I was able to crack all the locked doors I can see.  But the mission hasn't ended, so there must be at least one more Megapol locked away somewhere.  On Level 2 there's a dark area that may be a small room with no doors:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gH7DXU4UrFIuoWQ1JZLIVnIRRHVCl0j7

And on Level 3 there's a larger such area:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kW_TVsawcKyN9ZF5yxLq9cwYPgMl4o0h

How do I get in there?  Or are there no rooms there, meaning I just need to bug-hunt some wolfman I knocked out long ago who's now woken up?

[edit]OK. I cracked the walls --- but there are definitely doors that didn't show in battlescape.  Don't know if that was intentional.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:20:27 am by the Ring Dang Doo »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: January 28, 2018, 12:36:38 am »
I mentioned that sometime ago. Yes this mission demands alot of cutting tools to get through various layers of steel and concrete for some megapol booty.

Offline the Ring Dang Doo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: January 28, 2018, 03:51:16 am »
What I wasn't expecting (because I hadn't thought about it) is that the locked doors are just decorated wall tiles -- by which I mean that unlike real doors they don't become visible in battlescape unless the side facing you is lit. 

Then again, since they're not actually doors you don't have to use them to go through the wall, and they don't seem any weaker than regular wall tiles.   

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: January 28, 2018, 02:41:52 pm »
a locked door would realistically be like wall. Especially if made out of metal. It's alot of coding to change it up for a minor change. I never felt like they were unrealistically hard, too soft if anything since a good bullet gets the entire wall destroyed.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: January 28, 2018, 07:49:23 pm »
It's alot of coding to change it up for a minor change.
Well, if doors were lockable, you could make (nigh) impenetrable walls and combine it with something like the door only opening when a certain enemy was defeated, a tie (e.g. the control mechanism) destroyed, or a keycard is in the inventory. True, that's even more coding, but it would give an option to spice missions up a bit more.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: January 29, 2018, 08:45:49 pm »
Has anyone else noticed this behavior crop up in recent editions?

I shoot at someone, hit. They aren't looking at me and they do not reaction fire. But when I start moving around behind them they turn around and shoot me. Like the reaction fire is delayed or something. But it doesn't happen if I move somebody else around behind them.

This is pretty annoying and im thinking its a bug because if they're going to pass the reaction fire test they should turn around and shoot immediately. Its caught me off guard a few times in my new playthrough (B-Boys have good reflexes, but I might shoot em twice, leave them to bleed out but then when im walking off their reaction fire suddenly triggers even though they never looked).

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: January 29, 2018, 08:58:00 pm »
Has anyone else noticed this behavior crop up in recent editions?

I shoot at someone, hit. They aren't looking at me and they do not reaction fire. But when I start moving around behind them they turn around and shoot me. Like the reaction fire is delayed or something. But it doesn't happen if I move somebody else around behind them.

This is pretty annoying and im thinking its a bug because if they're going to pass the reaction fire test they should turn around and shoot immediately. Its caught me off guard a few times in my new playthrough (B-Boys have good reflexes, but I might shoot em twice, leave them to bleed out but then when im walking off their reaction fire suddenly triggers even though they never looked).

This sounds like vanilla behavior - when you hit an enemy, they become 'alerted' to the presence of the unit that fired.  If your reaction score is just above theirs after shooting, you won't get a reaction, but if you move and your reaction score drops below theirs, then they can turn and shoot.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: January 29, 2018, 09:34:25 pm »
yeah totally vanilla behavior thou the exact value of the variables involved(reaction and current TU) can vary significantly from moment to moment within the same map.

There has also probably been some spill over from the melee updates since melee defense is based largely on reaction. Tweaks to make melee better balanced for individual units would have some effect on reaction fire frequency.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: January 29, 2018, 10:15:50 pm »
This sounds like vanilla behavior - when you hit an enemy, they become 'alerted' to the presence of the unit that fired.

Dang I cant believe I missed that. Its never happened to me before now. If this is vanilla behavior then im thinking whats going on is ive just never usually had a problem with shooting someone in the back and they survive - and when they do im shooting from a window or right around a corner and the only movement I do is just to return to cover (not much TUs spent, doesnt fall below reaction threshold).

In X-Piratez the weapons (like an smg, low end pistols) do so little damage that you can shoot someone two or three times and they don't die. And I figured if he didn't reaction fire then that event has passed and I can just take my time repositioning.

To be fair in my first 2 playthroughs this never happened, back in E/F/G/H editions, so its pretty surprising and its happening enough now that im adapting my tactics.

Edit - Hey wait one minute...
I can walk right in front of some guy like to charge up on him in melee, but I realize I don't have enough Stat Cost to make it be worthwhile. So when I pass by him I just keep running and he does not turn around to reaction fire.

Shouldn't he have been "alerted" just by seeing my character? Whats the difference between movement and having actually tagged him with a shot?

Movement is definitely setting off reaction fire (from behind the guy who was shot) but it doesnt seem to be setting it off if the target wasnt shot by the offender. Even if they are aware of that offender.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:22:23 pm by RSSwizard »