aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3612016 times)

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.3 - 07.03 - 3 Years of Pirating
« Reply #4230 on: March 16, 2017, 07:35:02 pm »
Yesssss. It finally happened!

I now have access to the star gods' cydonia codes. The end is at hand, shame I only have 91% of tech tree unlocked. On the other hand, the source of the codes killed one of my gals and, by extension, wrecked one of the 3 bio suits I had.

Still, the sweet taste of finale. I can feel it.

zombies

I can agree with that, zombies are dangerous. Especially the armored guys, they take so much punishment, it's not even funny.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: March 16, 2017, 11:41:52 pm »
Is it me or does the harpoon gun seem to have horrible, horrible accuracy?
Even when it says its a decent chance to hit im still missing at least 1/3, sometimes save scumming itll miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-hit.

I mean compared to other guns. Maybe just crap luck with the harpoon.

I can agree with that, zombies are dangerous. Especially the armored guys, they take so much punishment, it's not even funny.
Armored zombies you say, I havent come across those yet. Just the regular ones and the fat zombies. I had a temple raid today that turned out to be a zombie infestation, the Ballista was doing okay but I was getting alot more mileage out of the heavy shotgun (sadly in retrospect im thinking the normal rounds would have been better than the slug rounds I had equipped across the board).

And in classic movie fashion a few of them got up in just the nick of time to extend the mission a couple more turns.

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: March 17, 2017, 12:04:26 am »
The harpoon gun is really inaccurate for a rifle,  even at close range it's a bit of a gamble. Probably necessary to prevent it becoming your default weapon for mass stun raids. I'd probably use it more if it could fit a bayonet, just to make ship clearances a bit less hazardous, but that might mess it up.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: March 17, 2017, 12:11:25 am »
The harpoon is really only accurate in aimed mode under it 15 tile effective range. Its snap fire range is very short(8?). In addition it decays by 9% accuracy for every square beyond effective range. Add that snap is only 70% skill anyway. Snap fire is effectively useless without exceptional skill at near pointblank range.

Scatter ammo is much better then slug against regular and fat zombies because they almost no armor. They therefore take nearly full damage from every pellet adding up to far more damage then a single slug shot.

Offline Nygmus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: March 17, 2017, 03:38:48 pm »
That moment you realise one of the death moan sounds is actually from FAKK2 <333

I recognize at least one of the newer death screams from an old game called Cyberdogs. Not sure if it was a stock sound in Cyberdogs or not, but that one kinda stuck with me considering that Cyberdogs was a shooter and it had exactly one.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4235 on: March 17, 2017, 04:29:24 pm »
Sounds are copied from XCF, no idea where Solar got them from.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: March 17, 2017, 09:18:14 pm »
The harpoon is really only accurate in aimed mode under it 15 tile effective range. Its snap fire range is very short(8?). In addition it decays by 9% accuracy for every square beyond effective range. Add that snap is only 70% skill anyway. Snap fire is effectively useless without exceptional skill at near pointblank range.

Thats all well and good and I know that. I never use it for snap anyway and usually only at ranges 10-15 tiles. My point was even despite this, other weapons with the Same listed accuracy on the cursor to hit the target tend to hit more often.

Either that or maybe im just forgetting that I may miss more often with other weapons and dont notice it as much because they have alot more ammo.

I'd probably use it more if it could fit a bayonet, just to make ship clearances a bit less hazardous, but that might mess it up.

So what else are you suggesting I use? Im midway through first year and while I have captured a small launcher - I dont know how to get more bombs for it and it would be prohibitively expensive (the guys im normally capturing are ratman lieutenants, sharp guys, church people, that sorta thing).

Ive thought about using molotovs and a fire extinguisher to morale people into capture but it sounds like even more work than prodding and harpooning people.

And the funny way I captured that small launcher was by prodding the nurse who had it, they couldnt move far enough away on the next turn to use it on me - and knocked both of us out (because she already got prodded but was still moving).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:24:37 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Scorrpio

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: March 17, 2017, 10:51:47 pm »
For unarmored targets, a thump with a handle works best.  For armored, I like fisticuffs.  I tried using prods and batons, none work as well.  Tazoguns are effective but weaker captives tend to die after a turn or two.
Small launcher stun bombs are to be used for highest profile captures only.   It is Feb 2602 in my game and I used launcher only once to bag a provost at Academy base.   Stun bombs can be made from hypno panels, but those are quite rare.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4238 on: March 17, 2017, 10:55:36 pm »
Sounds are copied from XCF, no idea where Solar got them from.

Believe me, I don't know either. Some were downloaded from sound repositories, some were on my drive for years.

Offline perekrylo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: March 18, 2017, 12:10:24 am »
Believe me, I don't know either. Some were downloaded from sound repositories, some were on my drive for years.
It's some rly nice coincidence since FAKK2 is basically a playable heavy metal magazine :D

Also since last update I cant change some of the settings in options->advanced, theyre greyed out, what do?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:18:26 am by wendy_of_camelot »

Offline Voidflame

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: March 18, 2017, 01:12:27 am »
Are there ways to remove unneeded manufacture items?  As the hidden item options are no-longer possible.

Past a certain point, the primitive weapons are not viable anymore.  Like rocks or bamboo spear.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: March 18, 2017, 01:52:18 am »
Are there ways to remove unneeded manufacture items?  As the hidden item options are no-longer possible. Past a certain point, the primitive weapons are not viable anymore.  Like rocks or bamboo spear.

Ill have to second this badly, because there's way too many items in piratez and even in vanilla games sometimes there's stuff you just dont want to see on the build menu anymore.

Hiding stuff is essential, the category selection pulldown isnt enough because thats an extra mouse click when id much rather just Mousewheel down a page at most. The category pulldown is practically useless at this point - it takes just as much effort to press Q and type a few letters in.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: March 18, 2017, 02:43:20 am »
Also since last update I cant change some of the settings in options->advanced, theyre greyed out, what do?

One of the latest changes to Meredian's EXE lets modder's control the settings via the ruleset - 2017-02-22 I think.

Dioxine is useing this feature to enforce the recomended option settings in XPiratez by the looks of it.

Offline perekrylo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: March 18, 2017, 03:44:06 am »

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: March 18, 2017, 04:03:40 am »
From the XPirates Readme:

WHAT OPENXCOM OPTIONS SHOULD I ENABLE?
Mod automatically fixes all needed options in required settings. All the others are a matter of player's preferences.

These are the greyed out ones - you cannot change them as they are needed to play the Mod properly.

This is what I was talking about.

Edit: I called them 'recomended' because up untill this update that's what they were - Now Dioxine has decided that they are Required not 'recomended'
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 04:09:29 am by Roxis231 »