aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3679042 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.4 - 18 Mar - Furious Fixes
« Reply #4245 on: March 18, 2017, 08:09:23 am »
New version up. Have fun.

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: March 18, 2017, 07:26:44 pm »
- Bandages hold just 2 uses now
Woah, that's actually quite a sizeable nerf early game. Guess this is the First Aid Kit's time to shine.

- Celatids' SENSE reduced to 20, accuracy by 20% and fire rate to 2/turn
Ha! I always hated celatids. What crazy stats did they have before?

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.3 - 07.03 - 3 Years of Pirating
« Reply #4247 on: March 18, 2017, 08:09:11 pm »
What :(

Actually I agree with most of the options anyway. I could give a flying leap less about the soldier diaries but since I dont have to look at them its a non-issue.

The only one I would bother to turn off is the Seasonal Globe Lighting but I dont notice it too much so its not a bad thing, just a personal preference.

Everything else is beneficial to be honest.

The explosion height = 2 is okay since the spherical calculation is way off in the way it works and usually you're not that much higher from someone you're dropping presents on anyhow.

Which brings me to another point that each tile should be considered 3 tiles high in terms of height and range calculations. If it has to jump to the next floor up thats like 3 tiles distance. Think about it - each map square is 1x1 meters in size on the ground. But to reach the next floor up on a house is at least 3 meters (for an office building its more like 4 or 5). And in terms of range calculations, shooting upwards is hard.

Not that this can be fixed necessarily...

But it allows for example to use a 1 range melee style weapon that shoots a projectile (like the Hammer) on somebody the next floor up in an elevator. I know its silly to swing a Sledgehammer up an elevator shaft and make a dude take 80+ concussion damage he cant avoid, but its damn useful. This is what happens in Watchtower missions.

Dang... now I know what (Hammer) I should be using against Armored Cars, just had a mission where I had to throw everything I had an an armored car to end the mission, after all the other goons were dead this one HWP kept trucking right on. I know im probably supposed to be using the pirate cannon on them but I always sell that thing off almost as soon as the game starts.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: March 18, 2017, 09:33:37 pm »
I like to fiddle with the ruleset, so can anyone explain how the setting "minReactionAccuracy: 2" works? Is it minimum accuracy required for a reaction shot = 2% I'd like to change it to make the gals not shoot anything below, say,  40% hit chance, as it is a waste of ammo and reaction shots. Should I change it to "minReactionAccuracy: 40" then? Perhaps it could even be made a configurable option, to give everyone a chance to set it to whatever value they want.

As for the new gameplay options added by Dioxine, and the old ones that are enforced now - I don't really care that much. For me the point is to have fun - if I disagree with some mechanics in place I just change it in the files. No need to force my opinions on the Creator, the least I can do is not whine and put in the effort of finding and changing the appropriate lines myself.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4249 on: March 19, 2017, 01:08:27 pm »
Keep in mind that minReactionAccuracy affects the AI as well.

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: March 19, 2017, 01:43:36 pm »
Fair enough. I think most intelligent beings would decide not to take a nearly impossible shot just for the sake of it.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4251 on: March 19, 2017, 01:51:19 pm »
True, but it depends with what. 2% reaction with Baby Nuke can be very deadly to your crew. 10 enemies firing with 5% reaction pistols can easily cause several wounds on your crew, instead of just standing there, helpless.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: March 19, 2017, 10:43:27 pm »
YAY!
Just as I encountered a Civilian Ambulance and it crashed my game... Dioxine fixes the problem!

;D

Fair enough. I think most intelligent beings would decide not to take a nearly impossible shot just for the sake of it.

Not that id consider some of the church people all that intelligent, including the boys in t-shirts.

Though the point of suppressive fire is to "Shoot At" people so they take cover so they dont just get hit by accident. Remember if you're doing the buddy system like you should be then having 2 or 3 guys in the line of fire technically makes them all a bigger target.

Id set it at something like 20% personally. For the enemy anything less just gives away their position without a reliable return on their expenditure. If they be firing at you then it should be reasonable they'll hit.

Id love to set it at 50% for my guys to save ammo and avoid giving away my ladies' position unless she can reliably do damage. Fallout Tactics had a special gauge for this very thing (95%, 67%, and 33% I believe) plus modes of retailiation (aggressive=always, defensive=only if you were shot at, and pacifist=no reactions)

And for my guys I would really much rather them do Aimed Shots on reaction fire if they've got the juice for it. But lo and behold often times ive reserved TU or made sure they had enough for Aimed and they just end up doing Snap Shots anyway.

Ive also noted that with plenty of TU remaining Melee Reactions going off is rather rare. Guys will walk right up to and walk by my ladies and they wont get Melee'd (they usually have at least a Gunbutt or Bayonet option available). I think that rather sucks because thats a d&d attack of opportunity right there and Melee really does some heavy damage considering the game mechanics.

I like to fiddle with the ruleset

My suggestion is you should probably create a separate Mod for this and just copy the stuff from piratez that you're wanting to modify and have that in your mod ruleset. Like a patch of sorts (heh, a mod on a mod). That way your changes remain constant and when you upgrade you just need to add any new, if applicable, changes to yours.

Thats what im doing and most of the stuff that ive changed is unlikely to just sprout new string names and fly away. My tweak rulesets are approaching 64kb so its not much but at the same time its also not small the number of changes ive made - and thus not worth prying open that monsterous piratez.rul every time.

This keeps both playing and modding the game easier. And if an update happens to break anything in your custom modification thats easier to fix, than having gone in to make changes to piratez every single time.

And its also worth noting that because items being modded twice cooked inherit or adjust what its already got established, you really only need to copy the parts of each entry that pertain to what you want to change or possibly lock in based on future changes in the updates. So like all those clips that weigh 3 pounds for some reason, if you only wanted to change the weight then it would literally be just 2 lines for that (eg, niner clip, weight: 2, then it goes to the next item).

(which reminds me I still go  :-\ at it not being practical to give items weight:1, I think for throwing stuff a simple if/then switch could easily adjust the effective item weight to 3 for its internal calculations... if its weight under 3 treat it as 3 for throwing... not sure if the throwing system is still buggy for item weight but in Vanilla you be damned if you throw a 1 weight item)

Im eventually going to release it, probably on 4chan's retro gaming board, since its just a tweak rather than a mod. That way also I can put in sprite, sound, and music replacements without caring about official-ness because its far from official.

And im probably not the first to say this but X-Piratez really deserves to be its own game, and the beauty of an open source project is being able to borrow someone else's engine and generally avoid legal crap.

Code: [Select]
actually I do like that the option has been removed to have items not disappear after being researched,
that way I can make some of the characters you capture sing like a bird and divulge everything
they know as long as you keep talking to them - and have most items survive being researched

but at the same time have other things get destroyed by research, dudes who got balls harder than the
ladies, who die in interrogation - and gooey apples that cease functioning when you're forced to open
them up to check em out

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:03:34 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4253 on: March 20, 2017, 12:03:33 am »
You do realize that 'death by interrogation' in Piratez is your invention, since the game lore directly contradicts that, at least in most cases. The items are not as much destroyed, as taken by Brainers... hmm, I think I need to add that to Pedia lore as well :)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: March 20, 2017, 12:51:59 am »
Aimed shots can't be used with reaction fire, it's snap or nothing.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:53 am »

Yeahhh sooo... just saw a bunch of big ships go set down a base. Attacked some of the ships and each one of them had what looked like Mutons onboard with gauss guns (which I reloaded the game out of each mission, since I couldnt drop a single one of these creatures).

Yeahhh I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious.

Dont remember exactly how it worked in vanilla but leaving an alien base sitting around just doing its thing is never good.

The items are not as much destroyed, as taken by Brainers... hmm, I think I need to add that to Pedia lore as well :)
Yeah I dont think that would be possible without brainers getting their, well, brains bashed on the table until they coughed it up. Just to set an example for the rest of them. I dunno maybe Negan is rubbing off on me abit too much these days.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4256 on: March 20, 2017, 08:47:47 am »
Well, naturally you can do it - there is 'Walk the Plank' button available for scientists, too. With very realistic consequences (no science :) ). Setting example to other scientists works very well, since they're smart - google 'Lysenkism' in late Stalinist Russia (scientists turn into sycophants and no shit ever gets done :) ).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:56:23 am by Dioxine »

Offline Crazy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: March 20, 2017, 06:29:55 pm »
Welp, you didn't fix it so that the charger lasers are purchaseable on the black market according to the change log, and I'm curious as to what the "manufacturing abuses fixes" is, or how it'd affect an end game player who produces nothing but Battle Tank M1As, to the point where they produce $60 million in profit per month.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4258 on: March 20, 2017, 08:26:27 pm »
It was possible to make more on Tranquilizer Clips. Charger Laser IS buyable now, you might be missing the tech.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: March 21, 2017, 12:21:09 am »
Its better to burn out than to fade away...