Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610175 times)

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F - 4 Feb - Blood is Life
« Reply #4005 on: February 12, 2017, 08:02:23 pm »
The civilian enemies are just regular enemies as far as the game is concerned. Do note that mutants play the role of actual civilians (on terror missions for example). The armed enemy civilians are just defined as an enemy with a negative kill/capture score in the ruleset. And yes, they do trigger reaction fire , unfortunately. But it all depends on the circumstances - for a fresh gal with a flintlock a tough guy with a niner can be deadly opposition, warranting a reaction shot.

Stun damage can still kill
Stun damage (it's called DAZE in the new version) itself never kills, but all weapons that are not stun-dedicated (stun baton, cattle prod, zapper etc.) deal part of their damage (usually 5-20%, depending on weapon - some go as high as 50%or more lethal.) as direct health damage. Same goes the other way - most weapons that deal health damage also deal a bit of stun.

I wanted to ask - does weather affect only your gals, or enemies as well?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4006 on: February 12, 2017, 08:53:17 pm »
Weather doesn't affect enemies, since they either have access to countermeasures (either high technology or because they live there).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4007 on: February 12, 2017, 09:13:22 pm »
as in my previous post i was kind of displeased with the picture of the healer medal.
why has she elven ears when we can cut them off and sell them for booty and why does the picture has a white hightlight in the back of her knees? if you ever come to the same conclusion here is my "fixed" one.

It's no ears, it's comms, and these 'highlights' are small white crosses :) Taking your medal bars, tho, they look much better than my lazy attempt. Cheers!

Offline Carfax

• Sergeant
  • Question your own beliefs once a year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: February 12, 2017, 10:17:07 pm »
I also imagined the ears as Comm, but the problem is the "fleshy" colour of the antennas, hence elven ears :)
Sadly im not good enough at modifing pictures on a single pixel basis to change the colour of the comms. If i were i´d also add a white cross on the backpack , because i personally could not make the white pixels as crosses at the back of the knees. Maybe if  get sick the near future i will put my mind to it.
Anyway im delighted to hear you are considering my medal background

Cheers
Carfax

p.s. i realized i didn´t upload my final version of the healer .png i just fixed this error
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:25:18 pm by Carfax »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.1 - 13 Feb - Slave Wars
« Reply #4009 on: February 13, 2017, 03:01:07 am »
New version up, with lots of fixes and lots of new stuff. Have fun.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: February 13, 2017, 03:03:01 am »
For the issue with reaction fire, remember, you can hit the delete key to remove someones TU's to prevent a reaction shot. Generally civilian involved maps are a bit less dangerous than others, so simply staying in cover till the next turn is viable, as any map with civilians generally has only pistol armed opposition, mixed in with a couple small arms and melee weapons. Later, once you get armor, except for a few heavy pistols / shotguns shooting slugs, you can literally just run up tanking gunfire from small arms, and be perfectly fine. Just watch out for magnums, shotguns (pellets are fine, slugs are dangerous), or rifles

And, as said before, don't feel bad about killing a few tough guys who hold guns, especially bigger ones. a 10 point deduction from killing civilians is better than 30 or so for a hand, not to mention losing a hand is a much longer lasting effect than a monthly rank deduction. As long as your above -200 or so, you should be fine.

By the way solar, I'm PRETTY sure you are incorrect : I've played on both extreme cold artic maps, and extreme heat pink deserts, and have actively seen this effect enemies. I briefly stayed in a pink desert (BAD MISTAKE EARLY GAME!!!!) and during the enemy turn, half of the troops on the UFO simply collapsed from heat stroke.

I've also seen people in super cold climates struggle to move around, so I'm pretty sure this isn't the case.

The only real exception to this is in the cases of wildlife, or ghouls, which are pretty much immune to intense heat, cold, acid, or smoke, respectively. But normal people (civilians, low level church / guild / academy) are vulnerable to it.

...speaking of weather, I gotta say, cold maps are shockingly hard to deal with compared to heat. Heat can be warded of with a canteen per person, or even an oxygen tank to keep people awake, but cold?... Cold takes a pretty nasty combination of booze and stimulants, and juggling that makes it pretty hard to fight.

Is there any possibility of getting insulated versions of armors, lined with rags? Something like a slight deduction in TU's, for a higher cold resistance? Because as is, short of pink deserts which make you pass out in 2 turns, I'd much rather deal with a hot map than cold any day, and in reality, its much easier to stay warm, than to cool off...and theres already means to have multiple versions or armor, so I don't see why, how a few years in, I still have nothing to keep warm, besides booze or the explorers outfit (which has NO armor at all). I at very least figure heavier armors (warrior, tac armor, ect) would be effective at keeping you warm, but they don't

Come to think of it, an armor plated explorers outfit would be extremely nice, having armor on the front, sides, but a completely open back, at the expense of a pretty hefty bulk.

EDIT : sorry if anything I said here is irrelivant with the new update

EDIT2: Why the move to make mansion missions timed? I had trouble with them enough as is, and the idea of being limited to time makes me want to never try the mission again...I guess I should try it before I whine about it, but these missions always seemed harder as is, even without the time limit, and I was never really able to get as much loot as I hoped, nor even think about clearing the entire mansion.

If your going to keep this change, can you perhaps at least include the entire map being highlighted, perhaps with justification of the girls finding the mansion floor plan, perhaps with a few areas not included just to mix it up?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:14:25 am by mumble »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4011 on: February 13, 2017, 03:30:54 am »
Mansion missions are timed to discourage the slow murder-all slog, unless your tech is good enough to make it possible so fast.

As for the weather effects, your imput is valuable. Still trying to find out correct damages.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: February 13, 2017, 03:48:51 am »
By the way solar, I'm PRETTY sure you are incorrect : I've played on both extreme cold artic maps, and extreme heat pink deserts, and have actively seen this effect enemies. I briefly stayed in a pink desert (BAD MISTAKE EARLY GAME!!!!) and during the enemy turn, half of the troops on the UFO simply collapsed from heat stroke.

Nope mate, that effect is completely irrelevant to heat, or weather in general... Unless you consider gentle psi waves from a dune goddess a weather factor. ;)

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: February 13, 2017, 04:04:41 am »
I think what might be better than raw damage / stun, is perhaps more combat stress from the cold / heat. I could see rookies who aren't exactly combat worthy snapping because they are getting shot at, while also freezing / sweating their tits off. Another few ideas, are maybe hits to other stats : throwing, reactions, strength in cold in, and shooting, melee in heat, logic being in cold, your freezing up and struggling to do things quick or be at full strength while shivering, and in the heat, you boiling in your skin makes it harder to do strenuous things like swinging a bat, or hammer (I've done demolition work in summer months, and DAMN does swinging a sledge hammer in a heat wave almost kill you) or aim when sweat is running down your body. It would also be nice if you could arrange energy damage / stun damage to be a bit more flexible, cold in particular. It would be handy if, for "mild" cold and heat, if the damage could cap at certain levels, so nobody REALLY passes out from heat stroke (unless in hot gear) but is very vulnerable to being knocked out due to it, or, if nobody 100% freezes in place due to no energy.

I don't know if this is possible, but this would be handy as its my biggest complaint about heat / cold : its less a nuisance, and more a DEMAND to carry certain gear, or end the map within x turns, and it would be handy if, rather than out and out KOing people, there was a slight margin of error. Because the 2 situations which get me are when rookies simply run out of energy and CANNOT move at all, or when the stun makes people pass out entirely.

It would also really, REALLY help if we could get an indication of how the map is BEFORE arriving, but I'm not sure that is possible. It feels like a gamble, betting on clothing. I might wear chiller armor, hoping its a pink area of desert, but I end up with a mild desert, and no armor.

And I guess I can see what you mean about time limits, but honestly, its never a matter of tech level / combat for me, its a matter of bug hunting down the last people in the mansion. Even with spike balls, lasers, ect, it would still take a while. I feel a better way, if possible, might be to have the place assaulted by something REALLY tenacious after say, 30 rounds, to make the player feel a bit rushed to leave because safety, not necessarily because anything else. I think it would be kinda exciting for instance, if after 30 rounds, the basement is flooded with crysalids, and you have a very, VERY clear indication to GTFO, without an arbitrary game over. (assuming this is how it is now, at least.)

gentle psi waves from a dune goddess
Is this a thing, or are you being funny? I honestly cannot tell. :o

I think it still applies, since I never heard any "psi" noises at any point...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:09:01 am by mumble »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: February 13, 2017, 04:48:05 am »
Check the minimap in pink desert dude, he's not making this shit up.  The pink desert knocked you and enemies alike unconscious long before weather conditions were ever introduced.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4015 on: February 13, 2017, 04:54:56 am »
Yeah I meant 32 turns is enough to rob the 1-2 rooms with real value and fly back home; except gems and nuclear materials there isn't anything there that couldn't be easily garnered elsewhere. So it actually adds some fun to the epitome of boring.

As for weather effects on stats, nope, that isn't doable, not yet at least.
The gamble element has been lessened by weather starting on 2nd turn, and visual indication - you can always run w/o taking any damage.

Weather effect on morale? Nah, I don't think so. There is enough bad morale effects IMO. Maybe as a crutch if energy/stun damage will be lowered.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: February 13, 2017, 05:00:28 am »
Check the minimap in pink desert dude, he's not making this shit up.

Yeah, this shit is real. :)
BTW I think there is a pending request for switching specific items off the minimap... Is this a thing?

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: February 13, 2017, 11:46:04 am »
I have one concern about the timed mansion missions...    Is the equipment pile still somewhere deep in the mansion? Or has it been moved to one of the evac points?

Because if the spare equipment is still just at some random place, then that could be a real drag. It would necessitate micromanaging what equipment you bring in the craft on the mission; and unwary players may find that the lose more than they gain because they lost their spare equipment.

I personally just don't want to have to unequip and reequip my craft every time I do a mansion mission.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: February 13, 2017, 12:59:41 pm »
Equipment management is getting more annoying these last few updates. The new environments are wonderful for diversifying game play but i think Im spending more time on the load-out screen then actually playing. Needing separate load-outs for space, underwater, and now 2 temperatures with different inventory layouts on each outfit is starting to wear thin.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4019 on: February 13, 2017, 01:00:43 pm »
Yes it's in the same place. How could it end up on the roof if you just infiltrated? Keep a spare ship if you don't like micro.