aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3683239 times)

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.1 - 13 Feb - Slave Wars
« Reply #4035 on: February 14, 2017, 11:25:25 pm »
Auto-harpoon should be hidden until you research it, yes, it's a bug.

Same goes for shotguns, boarding gun and few oter things?

This new version feels more like a new game than update. I am a little bit confused with all new stuff (especially new research tree).

Offline nrafield

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: February 15, 2017, 03:09:01 am »
Some feedback on new stuff:
-The weather conditions are kinda annoying since you can't predict which weather the mission will have before you can embark on it. Cold is worse than heat as it immediately guarantees a trip to sick bay for anyone not dressed for the weather, making management tougher, and it makes them stop regenerating stamina, freezing them in place. I guess it would be just as bad in real life too, if not worse, but still it's pretty inconveinent.  I do like how basically every outfit that's more revealing than it should be has less resistance to coldWould be nice if there was an armor for early game that focused on reducing the effect from both weathers, although it might not be the best way to balance it in the long run. Some armors have no heat or cold resistance defined at all, what's up with that?

-I really like the tazer gun out of new weapons. Sure it has a short range, but still better than handle's melee range. What I like about it the most is that it also deals lethal damage, which is not enough to kill someone on accident, but good if you want to actually hurt someone.

-Don't like the organ grinder mission either but that's more because of all the clutter than difficulty. At least you can somewhat prepare for it. There's tons of smoke every turn. If any gal is knocked out, the message can be displayed multiple times. And it takes place on that map where if you use explosives at all, you will have to watch half the map blow up. These factors combined do not exactly make playing it an interesting experience.

-I like the touch added by some missions spontaneously replacing everyone with zombies. What's up with that? Did Star Gods finally decide to kill everyone?

-Noticed that you can't produce medical supplies out of chemicals without a sickbay, but that is not stated anywhere. I suggest it to be added to the Pharmacology Bootypedia entry, which unlocks that.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:15:12 am by nrafield »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: February 15, 2017, 04:25:24 am »
If an armor has no percentage stated it 100%.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: February 15, 2017, 06:27:03 am »
So idea: if a gal is lost, but not killed, could we spawn a mission for a rescue? might require research for each lost gal.  It might need a chance of you finding out that they're just dead, though considering how valuable captured members of your gang seem to be, that seems unlikely, as well as being not really fun.  Naturally the equipment and ships lost as well would be gone forever, but a chance of saving a missing hand could lead to a fun story.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4039 on: February 15, 2017, 09:02:54 am »
Some feedback on new stuff:
-The weather conditions are kinda annoying since you can't predict which weather the mission will have before you can embark on it. Cold is worse than heat as it immediately guarantees a trip to sick bay for anyone not dressed for the weather, making management tougher, and it makes them stop regenerating stamina, freezing them in place. I guess it would be just as bad in real life too, if not worse, but still it's pretty inconveinent.  I do like how basically every outfit that's more revealing than it should be has less resistance to coldWould be nice if there was an armor for early game that focused on reducing the effect from both weathers, although it might not be the best way to balance it in the long run. Some armors have no heat or cold resistance defined at all, what's up with that?

You can predict that, also your statement about 'immediate' is no longer true since you have 1 turn leeway now. There is an early armor that is good vs. weather, more than one, actually. Slave armors? Depends which, you need to be more specific, since there are at least 5 and they differ a lot.

-Don't like the organ grinder mission either but that's more because of all the clutter than difficulty. At least you can somewhat prepare for it. There's tons of smoke every turn. If any gal is knocked out, the message can be displayed multiple times. And it takes place on that map where if you use explosives at all, you will have to watch half the map blow up. These factors combined do not exactly make playing it an interesting experience.

How blowing half the map up isn't an interesting experience? Gotta check your life priorities, man ;)
Seriously tho, you're not supposed to like the mission.

-I like the touch added by some missions spontaneously replacing everyone with zombies. What's up with that? Did Star Gods finally decide to kill everyone?

Read Pedia.

-Noticed that you can't produce medical supplies out of chemicals without a sickbay, but that is not stated anywhere. I suggest it to be added to the Pharmacology Bootypedia entry, which unlocks that.

There's a 'facility missing' tab in the manufacturing menu that shows everything. There is no place in Pedia for such technical data, as it would eat up 25-250% available text space, depending on item.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4040 on: February 15, 2017, 03:04:07 pm »
So idea: if a gal is lost, but not killed, could we spawn a mission for a rescue?

It's a genuinely fun idea, but would require much work on the coder's part, and I doubt the gains justify it.

Offline KBGhost

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: February 15, 2017, 09:41:53 pm »
How blowing half the map up isn't an interesting experience? Gotta check your life priorities, man ;)
Seriously tho, you're not supposed to like the mission.
Why add the mission if people won't like it though?
I understand if you added it because it's a difficult mission but like he said the problem isn't difficulty but the clutter.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:54:56 pm by KBGhost »

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: February 15, 2017, 11:17:48 pm »
Dont you have to research the 'organ' mission first before you do it?

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: February 16, 2017, 01:34:15 am »
It's a genuinely fun idea, but would require much work on the coder's part, and I doubt the gains justify it.

Depends on what the code can also be used for or if someone wants it enough, on if it's worth it. But you're a coder, I think, at least you have a functional and very good mod, and I'm definitely not and don't, so I bow to your expertise.

Edit

Something else I could see being useful would be the ability to enter a map, specifically of your bases and the floor plan of your ships, to see how things are set up, for ships, seeing who is where, and for the bases mostly the use would be non under attack identifying choke-points and weak defensive spots, maybe adding the ability to set where turrets are allowed to spawn, if that's possible.

I don't know if that idea made any sense...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:41:20 am by khade »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: February 16, 2017, 01:53:36 am »
The ships can be done by quick battle from the OXC main menu, I use it to check out new ship maps when Dioxine makes them or when I need to know deployment positions.  You might be able to check a base map that way with save/config editing, but I never got work.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4045 on: February 16, 2017, 04:04:27 am »
Depends on what the code can also be used for or if someone wants it enough, on if it's worth it. But you're a coder, I think, at least you have a functional and very good mod, and I'm definitely not and don't, so I bow to your expertise.

I'm not a coder at all, I have just been requesting features from actual coders and I developed some degree of instinct of what probably is easy to do and what probably isn't. :) I could always be wrong though.

Something else I could see being useful would be the ability to enter a map, specifically of your bases and the floor plan of your ships, to see how things are set up, for ships, seeing who is where, and for the bases mostly the use would be non under attack identifying choke-points and weak defensive spots, maybe adding the ability to set where turrets are allowed to spawn, if that's possible.

That would require some sort of new GUI, and that's a really big thing. The idea is sound though.

The ships can be done by quick battle from the OXC main menu, I use it to check out new ship maps when Dioxine makes them or when I need to know deployment positions.  You might be able to check a base map that way with save/config editing, but I never got work.

Possible, but so anal that I never actually tried. :P Would require editing starting base settings to make it appear exactly like the base you want to check. Without some sort of tool, way too much work in my opinion.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4046 on: February 16, 2017, 06:03:06 am »
Why add the mission if people won't like it though?
I understand if you added it because it's a difficult mission but like he said the problem isn't difficulty but the clutter.

Because I'm an evil tyrant, obviously. And don't even have idea what that 'clutter' of yours means.

As for map reviewing: the 3d engine is there, one would only need to add a 'flying camera' code (I think Volutar fiddled with this already) to look around the whole map in real time...

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: February 16, 2017, 06:46:03 am »
he is possibly referring to the visual clutter that results from the whole map being drowned in smoke. Grey smoke on dark tileset particularly at night ends up being mostly useless in the visual department. I personally can't play organ grinder missions because of eye strain resulting from trying to pick out useful information in grey pea soup.

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: February 16, 2017, 08:24:34 am »
While I'm not a huge fan of the explody bits, Organ Grinder is still interesting to me. Good early game research before I get good ships esp in a No Mutant Alliance run(Yes I know I don't have an end game).

I actually like the mission. Though more so the novelty of it. Though I think removing the exploding parts would be good, because how does it explode without oxygen? All that fog and rain is a big deterant to fires.

Offline KBGhost

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: February 16, 2017, 02:58:59 pm »
Because I'm an evil tyrant, obviously. And don't even have idea what that 'clutter' of yours means.

As for map reviewing: the 3d engine is there, one would only need to add a 'flying camera' code (I think Volutar fiddled with this already) to look around the whole map in real time...
Like nrafield said, the map ends up looking like shit because there's smoke everywhere.
It's just really unpleasant to play through it when you need to put extra effort on seeing enemies on the screen.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:05:03 pm by KBGhost »