aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3609999 times)

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F - 4 Feb - Blood is Life
« Reply #3990 on: February 09, 2017, 05:04:07 am »
why are the darts from the dart RIFLE daze, but from the dart pistol chem?... Shouldn't they be the same?? Is this an oversight, or is there a lore reason behind it??

Also, I just want to say, your mod, even though I don't necessarily like the "all female tribe" aspect, has pretty interesting tactics and gameplay more than regular xcom. The mansion invasion was particularly fun, if overwhelming, and its interesting how you emphasize on finding items in the battlefield many times.

Khade, iirc uber clothes are never researched, they are simply used as materials to build things. You can't wear them, iirc.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: February 09, 2017, 05:27:44 am »
Read the articles on the harpoon gun and dart pistol - they're different things. The harpoon gun is a purchasable tranquilizer or solid bolt gun, while the pistol was developed by the gals and carries a poison dart that does a lot of secondary stun.

The uber clothes are just the general stores item for the Adventurer, Scout, and Ganger outfits. One set of clothes means you can outfit a single hand in one of those.  Same goes for pirate clothes and Pirate/Rogue gear.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: February 09, 2017, 05:58:17 am »
In the mod im not sure what the logic is, but out here in the real world those weapons come from quite different sources. The rifle/harpoon gun is a purpose built weapon for nonlethal take-downs of medium to large animals for scientific pursuits and operates on pressurized gas at low velocity. The dart is quite small and not much more then a pressurized syringe.

Dart pistols are generally conversions of existing large caliber pistols using existing blanks to propel a finned dart inserted into the end of a modified barrel. These darts are generally quite large and intended for special operations use. The theory was that you could coat the dart in some substance for use against personnel or have something akin to a rifle grenade by taking advantage the large size of the dart. In practice these designs where cumbersome and inaccurate without significant noise performance improvement over a normal silencer.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:03:29 am by legionof1 »

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: February 09, 2017, 06:45:47 am »
...what research gives you information on the uber clothes?

In previous versions, the bootypedia entries for Ganger, Adventurer and Scout outfits were given at the start of the game. I'm guessing a bug is at work here, because I haven't unlocked those pedia entries myself in my recent playthrough of 0.99F.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: February 09, 2017, 10:11:39 am »
I'm noticing the same issue with tac vests, have several, but cannot research them, and theres no bootypedia article .

Also, I get what you mean about the darts, but the effect, chemical induced pacification, is from the same source (chemical) isn't it? I just fail to see why the stat difference, especially since daze is more blunt trauma than anything else...it also makes capturing shark men very tough.

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: February 10, 2017, 12:30:34 am »
I've found that the tac vest, ganger et al bootypedia entries now depend on the STR_JACKSTOWN_ZZZ string, which I'm assuming should be given with 'Visit nearby town', a technology available for research at the start of a new game.

To restore the bootypedia articles, you can open up a save file with a text editor and add the missing string under the list of discovered technologies:
Code: [Select]
discovered:
  - STR_JACKSTOWN_SCOUTING
  - STR_JACKSTOWN_ZZZ
  - STR_WAT_DO
  - etc

As always, back up your saves before I accidentally break stuff.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: February 11, 2017, 03:45:27 am »
Kinda curious, why is it pre-primed grenades are removed from inventory?

Every time I have say, a preprimed smoke, the smoke ends up in the item pile in the ship, and blows up....almost seems like the engine is having a fit after landing :D

I have pre primed grenades on, so I'm not sure what the issue is. What is REALLY strange, is this happens even after I get out of the ship. For instance, lets say I leave the airbus, cook a smoke, but then don't throw it that turn, the item magically warps back into the ship and blows up...

...Its rather frustrating, as it makes items with timers next to useless

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: February 11, 2017, 04:21:36 am »
Get the newest version of OXCE+ from Meridian's thread, this is a known bug with the version of the exe packaged with the mod.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: February 11, 2017, 11:36:37 am »
I am enjoying this latest version. The amount of extra stuff one can do is immense not to mention the different mechanics from vanilla. The research though is mind boggling. I do not wish to play chess with Dioxine.

Offline Carfax

• Sergeant
  • Question your own beliefs once a year
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: February 12, 2017, 10:59:56 am »
Hello to everyone

i just started playing this awsome mod a few days ago. I am enjoying it very much indeed. the research texts are very well writen and funny. i am laughing quiet often reading them. Very well done.

I changed some assets for my personal asthetic needs and i though ill post them here if anyone wants to use them or, alien overlord help me, even will get incorporated in them mod.
one is the backgroud for the reactionfire medal and the second are the stripes in the background of the medals
The original files are followed by the changed pngs

enjoy
Carfax

removed the medalbar because its in the mod now
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:42:03 am by Carfax »

Offline Carfax

• Sergeant
  • Question your own beliefs once a year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: February 12, 2017, 11:31:41 am »
as in my previous post i was kind of displeased with the picture of the healer medal.
why has she elven ears when we can cut them off and sell them for booty and why does the picture has a white hightlight in the back of her knees? if you ever come to the same conclusion here is my "fixed" one.
the first png is the original the 2nd the changed one for you convenience

last edit: i uploaded a new version of the healer, i actually took the wrong one, where i hadnĀ“t removed the rest of the comms overlapping her hair
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:23:17 pm by Carfax »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: February 12, 2017, 12:57:38 pm »
How do the "civilians enemies" work? The ones for example that appears in church assaults ("Though Girl" or something).
I noticed in the ruleset that some units have negative scores. I too have units with negative scores, because the idea is that killing them them is a bad thing... stunning on the other hand should be better: is here a way to make that, if you stun them, the score penalty is lowered?

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: February 12, 2017, 01:58:58 pm »
Say, why cant the boarding gun, and custom shooty gun use the boarding gun ammo large, only the super boarding gun can? I honestly prefer the custom over super, but would LOVE to use the large chain ammo, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work, since its literally just a longer chain of bullets.

Robin, as for the civilians, it works out as each unit has a score for killing, or capturing.

tough girls, or tough guys, both deduct somewhere around 10 points for killing, sharp guys (men in flashy looking blue suits) deduct I think 40, since they are kinda higher up in society

Anyone whos DIRECTLY part of a faction, (temple, guild, bandits, ect) can be killed off for a points value, but those who aren't you should try to capture.

You can capture with the handle weapon (good early on) gun butts of most larger smgs or rifles, or other means. Stun damage can still kill depending on the weapon and how strong the person is (dont try hitting a sharp guy with a gal whos using a B-bat with a strength above 80, you will shatter his skull)

As a general starter, dont if you can help it, shoot tough girls / guys, sharp guys (especially) savvy girls, fat guys, and especially any government agents you ever run into, unless you are OK with the ramifications. I for instance, a few years in, am perfectly ok with gunning down a few tough guys, because they carry magnums which can punch through armor. Besides gov employees, or sharp guys, they don't really hold much of an influence if you kill a few within the month, but indiscriminately nuking temples might cause you problems

So yes, stunning works. If your starting out, you can also try using a small weapon (rusty niner, pocket pistol, ect) to shoot them. These do less damage, but are enough to knock them out generally, without killing. You can even shoot, and let them bleed for a turn, then bandage them as they are bleeding out. Theres a score hit for killing, but maiming is perfectly acceptable ;)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: February 12, 2017, 02:53:24 pm »
Robin, as for the civilians, it works out as each unit has a score for killing, or capturing.

tough girls, or tough guys, both deduct somewhere around 10 points for killing, sharp guys (men in flashy looking blue suits) deduct I think 40, since they are kinda higher up in society

Anyone whos DIRECTLY part of a faction, (temple, guild, bandits, ect) can be killed off for a points value, but those who aren't you should try to capture.[...]
I understood that.
What I wanted to know was the ruleset stuff, how to do it, because I'd like to replicate this behavior in my mod.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: February 12, 2017, 05:02:54 pm »
As a general starter, dont if you can help it, shoot tough girls / guys, sharp guys (especially) savvy girls, fat guys, and especially any government agents

Don't they all trigger reaction fire despite being unarmed/not dangerous? Because then it becomes much harder to avoid gunning them down, unless there is a way to make your gals react to enemies but not civies.