Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3610064 times)

Offline Stian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99 - 7 Jun - First Impressions
« Reply #2670 on: June 11, 2016, 12:49:37 pm »
A possible implementation of the ruleset idea without actually doing any implementation would be to provide a custom shortcut to the executable with lots of "-<option name> <option value>" pairs. This appears to update the current cfg with the values specified.

I'd think a config based solution might provide a lower barrier of entry to customizing each setting though. An alternative might be that a mod could supply their own (partial or full) default_options.cfg which would be used during the construction of the user options.cfg or for adding missing values to the same file upon version change. This way users wouldn't have to dig into the ruleset to change certain values, and if the game wasn't supplied with a user config a new (and correctly configured) one would be automatically created to suit the active mod.

Offline Winderlies

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: June 12, 2016, 03:00:11 am »
Greetings, fellow commanders. I have a few questions:

What is a megascorpion sting, why does my craft consider it to be a tank (taking 4 spaces, no less!) and why does it make my battlescape crash upon load?

Would it be possible to add a distance indicator when the game asks me where I wish to send my craft? I realise such indicator wouldn't be very usefull at around midgame, but since the Airbus is now our starting craft, it can be somewhat frustrating to have to guess if those ground missions are within range.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: June 12, 2016, 07:50:09 am »
I need to ask what influences your score in the early game, started a game, did well enough with the spawned events, ignored the shipping as I needed hands to heal, at the end of the month, my score was -1500.  I don't know the inner workings of the game well enough to dig out the things giving that score, so here I am.

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: June 12, 2016, 02:25:09 pm »
What is a megascorpion sting, why does my craft consider it to be a tank (taking 4 spaces, no less!) and why does it make my battlescape crash upon load?
Megascorpion stings come from dead megascorpions; but from what I've seen they only take around 0.1 each; not 4. What makes you think it is causing the battlescape to crash?

I need to ask what influences your score in the early game, started a game, did well enough with the spawned events, ignored the shipping as I needed hands to heal, at the end of the month, my score was -1500.  I don't know the inner workings of the game well enough to dig out the things giving that score, so here I am.
I know that there are some shipping missions that the factions can do which will lower your score. My guess is that there was a whole lot of negative missions going on outside of your radar range. If that's what caused it, it's essentially just bad luck - because there's nothing you could have done about it. (There are worse things that can happen than getting a low score though...)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2674 on: June 12, 2016, 02:34:23 pm »
Hmm looks like he tried loading the megascorpion stings on the craft... and looks like the shortcut I took while making them has such consequences. I would never have guessed someone tries loading them, they're just a sale item :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2675 on: June 12, 2016, 03:24:15 pm »
I know that there are some shipping missions that the factions can do which will lower your score. My guess is that there was a whole lot of negative missions going on outside of your radar range. If that's what caused it, it's essentially just bad luck - because there's nothing you could have done about it. (There are worse things that can happen than getting a low score though...)

Well, one thing you can do is check the graphs to see which regions are most affected by enemy activity and then try patrolling there. There's no guarantee of success, but you may get lucky.

Offline Asheram

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: June 12, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »
Well, one thing you can do is check the graphs to see which regions are most affected by enemy activity and then try patrolling there. There's no guarantee of success, but you may get lucky.
Isn't patrolling near impossible with how short the ship radar is nowadays? (Unless you count zeppelins)

Anyhow. I absolutely Love the new mechanic with the small faction hubs. Great way to earn notoriety.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2677 on: June 12, 2016, 05:54:17 pm »
Isn't patrolling near impossible with how short the ship radar is nowadays? (Unless you count zeppelins)

Yeah, you need something better than the Airbus for that.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: June 12, 2016, 05:57:07 pm »
Pigeons are still there, though they now require a bit of research (and of course, money).

There are times when I absolutely hate thunderhorse, and this is one of such times.

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: June 12, 2016, 07:18:38 pm »
Hmm looks like he tried loading the megascorpion stings on the craft... and looks like the shortcut I took while making them has such consequences. I would never have guessed someone tries loading them, they're just a sale item :)

I've been stockpiling, not selling - but that may explain why I also got a crash as soon as my laser defenses failed to shoot down that Mercenary Craft...  :D

Offline yotc

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: June 12, 2016, 10:04:59 pm »
Not a bug, but I hate that the library pre-req requires an academy medic.  I haven't seen the academy in like 2 months and I'm pushing end of July year one and am getting close to needing a library.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: June 13, 2016, 02:04:55 am »
I was specifically asking about the first month, don't even have the ability to get other vessels yet, 1500 down the hole is just  a bit extreme, I think.  Though I'm mostly willing to accept sheer bad luck, I don't think I have the skills or resources to recover from that sort of start, needs the capacity to shoot stuff down, I believe

Offline Disposable Guardsman

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: June 13, 2016, 02:51:21 am »
But Research Stations are like a free Medic capture

Offline Winderlies

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: June 13, 2016, 05:03:47 am »

Thanks for the reply. I shall sell them all promply seeing as, as above stated, a defense mission would also cause the game to crash.

Also, if you don't mind me adding, I've come to enjoy the limitedness of early-game bases you have brought, specially with the adjustments to score (for progroms). All those researches and extra items can be a pain to track.

Speaking of reseach, are there plans to change the research interface? Specifically, about informing which items a reseach will consume and what items a research is missing?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: June 13, 2016, 05:27:56 am »
If there is an item with exactly the same name as a research project, you stand really good chance of that item disappearing once you start the project. If having one in the storage of the base is necessary to research it, then you are 100% sure that it will be consumed.

As for showing dependencies, Meridian is working on it.